Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So what now when it comes to the TE room?
(03-22-2023, 09:37 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Can he catch with 6 fingers? Bring him in.

Don't laugh, but JPP has more int's after than before his accident.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Seeing where this thread is at now, I am pitching my own crazy idea: Get three more offensive tackles and list them at TE. If any of them ever want to try catching a ball, maybe give them a shot when we are up by a few scores. Otherwise they block and Burrow stays upright a higher percentage of the time.

Reply/Quote
Round 1: Mayer or Washington
Round 3: LaPorta

TE room is set for a few years.

I understand the sentiment to not use a 1st round pick on a TE but the team doesn't have a TE1. Of course, the offense is built to not desperately need a TE1. I'd love to know how Duke and Zac are discussing "what now when it comes to the TE room?".
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2023, 11:35 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I'd look at Cameron Brate on a cheap deal
Then draft Darnell Washington. Problem solved

That is a solution that I could get on board with.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2023, 09:55 PM)pulses Wrote: Trade Jonah to the Jets for Conklin.

Paul Dehner suggested they might try and trade for another more familiar Jets TE. Of course, he might have been trying to rile up his Twitter followers

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2023, 08:53 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: With the news that Moreau has got lymphoma (get well soon) that’s another target gone. I’m struggling to see what FA would be worth signing.

Mercedes Lewis-Probably going to end up a Jet as part of Rodgers harem.

Gronk- Another year older would he even pick up the phone?

This practically forces us to double tip in Thabkfully a really strong TE class but without a vet so need someone who is ready day 1 this probably rules out Washington.

With us needing cover at other positions too it probably takes away us picking 2 rb”s too so Mixon is probably going to stay and why would he take a pay cut when he has the leverage?

Do we use Jonah and a late pick to go after an established tight end?

It’s a head scratcher now.

Why would this rule out Washington?

Washington is the best blocker in the class and is NFL-ready in that area.
He may need some work on routes, but I think he'll still be able to put up enough receptions to get into the 400+ yard range.

I feel we're more likely to see a rookie TE start immediately on the Bengals if they can block.

With all that said, I think with the dire need at TE, it's showing the Bengals' hand, and it's going to result in a TE taken in Rd 1, even if it's a guy they had on their board in the (early) 2nd round.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 01:36 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Part of problem we have not had a  solid good young TE under Taylor and it has shown down the middle in most years. The next is great and if we spent a 2nd on Sample, we can spend a late round 1st on a TE

Oh please stop with this. We had a solid young TE in Uzomah under Taylor and we had Hurst who was absolutely a solid TE under Taylor. Using a first round selection for a player that will be targeted less than 4.25 times a game is not a value at all. Especially, when you may not have a starting RT or are uncertain about your starting RT. To compound that outside of the first round you have players that could make an impact at the TE position from day 1 in:

Tucker Kraft
Luke Schoonmaker
Brenton Strange
Luke Musgrave
Sam LaPorta
Cameron Latu
Payne Durham
Davis Allen
Josh Whyle
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 09:56 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Why would this rule out Washington?

He may need some work on routes, but I think he'll still be able to put up enough receptions to get into the 400+ yard range.

I feel we're more likely to see a rookie TE start immediately on the Bengals if they can block.

With all that said, I think with the dire need at TE, it's showing the Bengals' hand, and it's going to result in a TE taken in Rd 1, even if it's a guy they had on their board in the (early) 2nd round.

Exactly what I was wondering! His blocking may be the ABSOLUTE best in this class and his athleticism is freakish. I do not want a first round TE but if that is the route they go I sure hope it is Washington!

You more than likely are going to get this big reply explaining the typical routes ran by TEs and by our TEs and telling you how Washington is deficient in this capacity. This post may well also have diagrams of each said route tree.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 09:56 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Why would this rule out Washington?

Yeah I really like the potential of Washington, especially in light of the questions at RT.  He could really help be a threat to help block on that end, keeping the LB/S honest and then burning them especially in the red zone.  

If no TE is added, I'd still look at BPA at a few positions, but we may see them trade down a few slots depending on how they see the class.  There seems to be a big 4, they could get pick 104 from Houston for moving down 5 slots and still get a great TE and recoup a true BPA pick.  This also helps have a better shot at doubling down at TE and maybe even RB.  There is a lot of talent at both positions, so if there ever were a year to pickup more picks it may be this one. 
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 10:10 AM)phil413 Wrote: Yeah I really like the potential of Washington, especially in light of the questions at RT.  He could really help be a threat to help block on that end, keeping the LB/S honest and then burning them especially in the red zone.  

If no TE is added, I'd still look at BPA at a few positions, but we may see them trade down a few slots depending on how they see the class.  There seems to be a big 4, they could get pick 104 from Houston for moving down 5 slots and still get a great TE and recoup a true BPA pick.  This also helps have a better shot at doubling down at TE and maybe even RB.  There is a lot of talent at both positions, so if there ever were a year to pickup more picks it may be this one. 

Do not trade out of the 1st round and lose the 5th year option.  If one of the RTs are there at 28 then take them.  You are (should) now have the tackle spots wrapped up (at a great price) for the next 4 years at least. All the complaints about OL and we have the opportunity to fix that this year...do it.  A TE in the first is insane to me.   Very limited use area for our offense.  Get the OL set.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 12:59 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: If we do not get a RT in the first round, we will not get one. With the 8 yards per catch last year for Hurst and us mainly using TE as a check down then we should not invest a 1st round pick. So double dip after the first round at TE.

Unless all RT are gone by 28. Not a LT only a guy that played RT prefer Dewand Jones since Darnell Wright gets bull rushed.

Wright over Jones all day.  It appears he will defitniely be going higher and he played against the very best every season.

Jones refusing to test is not a good thing at all, especially for us.

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 01:52 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Rd 1 & 2: Some combination of RB and TE
Rd 3 & 4: Some combination of RT and CB
Rd 5, 6, & 7: Some combination of P, WR, and G

Flip the first two. CB and RT are way more important than RB and TE.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2023, 10:29 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I believe they will look to bring back Wilcox and I would not be shocked to see Sample back either. Even with this news I still do not believe there is true value in a first round TE for this offense. The most targets a TE has had under this staff was 68 last season with Hurst when we were seeing predominantly two high safeties. The TE in this scheme has average under 4.25 targets a game and I do not see how you put value in that with a first round selection.

Yeah…but with a better TE, the targets would probably go up.

(03-23-2023, 01:52 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Rd 1 & 2: Some combination of RB and TE
Rd 3 & 4: Some combination of RT and CB
Rd 5, 6, & 7: Some combination of P, WR, and G

Like this plan, a lot.

I think with the “non-movement” on Mixon, they’re looking to the draft. That is, unless he agrees to a pay cut. There are just too many good RBs in this draft. True of TE’s, too.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 10:34 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Flip the first two. CB and RT are way more important than RB and TE.

I like the idea of getting a TE on  a Jonah Trade. Comon ! we cant go into the draft with no one at that position...and just thinking about hearing about Drew Sample back is a major downer.  
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 10:03 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Oh please stop with this. We had a solid young TE in Uzomah under Taylor and we had Hurst who was absolutely a solid TE under Taylor. Using a first round selection for a player that will be targeted less than 4.25 times a game is not a value at all. Especially, when you may not have a starting RT or are uncertain about your starting RT. To compound that outside of the first round you have players that could make an impact at the TE position from day 1 in:

Tucker Kraft
Luke Schoonmaker
Brenton Strange
Luke Musgrave
Sam LaPorta
Cameron Latu
Payne Durham
Davis Allen
Josh Whyle

We have not had a real impactful TE under Taylor, CJ had one year rhat pout him probably top 15 and Hurst had middle of road stats as a TE, FACT.
Reply/Quote
Some of you guys act like they are in a world of hurt. This is as loaded of a TE draft in a decade according to the draft guys. We will probably get our best TE talent in years in the first round. They’ll probably resign Sample.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Would bring back Wilcox and draft 2 TE's.

We can all argue on who will be selected early RT, TE, DL, RB but it will henge on how comfortable the Bengals are with Carman at RT.

They may see the OL has fixed and only looking for depth or they may find it in dire need still. Obviously in that case they probably take a RT. Yet think Carman will work out fine at RT and they will seek one of the others mentioned.

On record many times as liking Washington per the Bengals need a blocking TE that can catch as well. The offense mostly goes through the WR's anyway.

But being it is a deep TE class its possible that the ones they like they may expect to fall into the 2nd thru 5th rounds and wait as well.

Doubt an elite pass rusher will fall to #28 but if so that would not hurt our cause either. Or if all their targets at RT, TE, DL are selected could actually still see a RB taken as well.

Think it is wide open this year on what the Bengals select but my money is still on TE if a good one is not traded for before then.

Yet as Ocho pointed out that televises our strategy to other teams who may trade up in front if seeking same position.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I don't understand why some on here would invest a 1st round pick on a position that is probably the LEAST important (TE) for the Bengals offense when this draft is chock full of them.

They must go BPA in round 1 and pick up Laporta in round 2.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 10:53 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Some of you guys act like they are in a world of hurt. This is as loaded of a TE draft in a decade according to the draft guys. We will probably get our best TE talent in years in the first round. They’ll probably resign Sample.

Plug and playing a rookie tight end isn’t ideal
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 10:53 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Some of you guys act like they are in a world of hurt. This is as loaded of a TE draft in a decade according to the draft guys. We will probably get our best TE talent in years in the first round. They’ll probably resign Sample.

This sounds like a bad plan for a team that's currently in a Super Bowl window. 

Sample missed most of the year last year with an injured knee/surgery and to be honest, doesn't give you really anything in the passing game. Relying on a rookie tight end to produce is a huge question mark. 

I don't understand why it's so hard for this team to sign a veteran tight end to a reasonable 1 or 2 year deal. Those kinds of deals are being made by other teams - they are there for the taking. I am not sure if this FO is asleep at the wheel or has some master plan but they need to act quick because the amount of quality TEs out there is dwindling fast. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote