Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So what now when it comes to the TE room?
PFF mocks Kincaid to us as the solution.

Kincaid at 28: https://www.pff.com/news/draft-three-round-2023-nfl-mock-draft-afc-north-browns-steelers-bengals-ravens
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 11:14 AM)BengalBob Wrote: I don't understand why some on here would invest a 1st round pick on a  position that is probably the LEAST important (TE) for the Bengals offense when this draft is chock full of them.

They must go BPA in round 1 and pick up Laporta in round 2.

Agree with this 100%. If we draft a TE or RB in round 1, especially with how deep those classes are this year, I am going to really have to hold back from hurting myself. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 09:11 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Round 1: Mayer or Washington
Round 3: LaPorta

TE room is set for a few years.

I understand the sentiment to not use a 1st round pick on a TE but the team doesn't have a TE1. Of course, the offense is built to not desperately need a TE1. I'd love to know how Duke and Zac are discussing "what now when it comes to the TE room?".

If they go into the draft not having a TE1 on the roster, especially after seeing what some of these vets are getting moneywise, then it's a MASSIVE failure by the front office. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 11:28 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: If they go into the draft not having a TE1 on the roster, especially after seeing what some of these vets are getting moneywise, then it's a MASSIVE failure by the front office. 

MASSIVE failure is a strong take. What position do you think they should use the 1st round pick on?
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 10:21 AM)spazz70 Wrote: Do not trade out of the 1st round and lose the 5th year option.  If one of the RTs are there at 28 then take them.  You are (should) now have the tackle spots wrapped up (at a great price) for the next 4 years at least. All the complaints about OL and we have the opportunity to fix that this year...do it.  A TE in the first is insane to me.   Very limited use area for our offense.  Get the OL set.

I had that scenario played out in another thread with the importance of the 5th year for a priority position. In retrospect, a slight trade down should tax a team a little bit better pick or trade package.  If love a T or CB with a 5th year that would be very important for a team that could have cap issues in 5 years. The concept has value, but at the same time the right trade down package lets you restock CB or DT if they can't reach long term deals with those guys.  Basically, if Cincy says they're going TE in the 1st, I'd rather get value.  I think the last 2 times we left the cupboard bare at TE we telegraphed the picks with Gresham and Eifert.  I think we are there again if we don't add one soon, though I'd love the correct RT or even Bijan Robinson (though he is likely gone, I'd even give up a 4th to move into get him).  Indo agree though that the 5th year contract option is a big deal. 
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 11:27 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Agree with this 100%. If we draft a TE or RB in round 1, especially with how deep those classes are this year, I am going to really have to hold back from hurting myself. 

I quoted the wrong post but i wouldn’t call going into the draft without a TE1 a massive failure. It definitely sucks but name the guy you REALLY wanted that we missed out on that was realistic money wise. Gesecki and Shultz were out of the question. Hurst was out the question. The Waller trade would have been STUPID. We were all in on a foster Moreau just didn’t work out.

We need a TE within the 1 two rounds, period. Then we probably need another one between rounds 4-6. If we double dip at TE in this draft BOTH will get ALOT of PT so we need to draft well.
I’m liking Darnell more and more everyday. I’d rather trust a super athlete to learn how to catch and run routes more than i trust a guy whose already got at that to learn how to block
-Housh
Reply/Quote
We use a TE a lot for blocking. But with better OL blocking hopefully it allows us to utilize a TE more. A really good one could do some damage in the passing game? Ever heard of a guy named Kelce? If they get a ringer in the first round they will use him.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 11:40 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: We use a TE a lot for blocking. But with better OL blocking hopefully it allows us to utilize a TE more. A really good one could do some damage in the passing game? Ever heard of a guy named Kelce? If they get a ringer in the first round they will use him.

Yes...heard of Kelce...4th round pick?  Kelce does not have the stats in Cincy with our trio of WRs...KC has never had the dynamics at WR that we do.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 11:14 AM)BengalBob Wrote: I don't understand why some on here would invest a 1st round pick on a  position that is probably the LEAST important (TE) for the Bengals offense when this draft is chock full of them.

They must go BPA in round 1 and pick up Laporta in round 2.

It is easy to give hypo  of who might be available in 2nd round and that is the problem, TE is a major hole for the team and if they say have a top 3 TEs at our pick that separates them from the rest if they wait , none of them might be there in 2nd. I'm not all in as TE in 1st but I'm not all in on tackle or CB in 1st either, let the draft board play out and pick whoever clears the bar for the Bengals organization,  I would be surprised if 2 of our 1st 3 picks are not from those 3 positions. 
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 11:59 AM)spazz70 Wrote: Yes...heard of Kelce...4th round pick?  Kelce does not have the stats in Cincy with our trio of WRs...KC has never had the dynamics at WR that we do.

Well I would argue Hill and Kelce is a just as good a  duo as Chase and Higgins
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 11:40 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: We use a TE a lot for blocking. But with better OL blocking hopefully it allows us to utilize a TE more. A really good one could do some damage in the passing game? Ever heard of a guy named Kelce? If they get a ringer in the first round they will use him.

I've heard of Kelce.  Hall of Famer, possibly GOAT tight end.

3rd round selection.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 12:09 PM)BengalBob Wrote: I've heard of Kelce.  Hall of Famer, possibly GOAT tight end.

3rd round selection.

Character concerns were a large reason Travis Kelce fell to the 3rd round.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Drafting a TE round 1 is a horrible decision.

Knowing how the bengals draft, they typically draft 1 year ahead. CB (Awuzie), DE (Hendrickson), DT (Reader), LB (Wilson) are all on there last year. Those are the best players on D!

I would bet a large amount of money they go CB or D Line. Those positions are far more important than our 5th option TE (3 wr and rb). Our TE get about 400-500 yards in our offense. Burrow could have made Uzomah or Hurst a 1,000 receiver but we just don’t throw to TE much when you have 3 stud receivers and Joe Mixon.

Personally I want a RT, but if one doesn’t match up for the value, go CB, DE or DT.
Reply/Quote
Well, for the record.

1) We started last year with 3 TEs on the 53. It rose to 4 later on.
2) Asiasi is under contract. He is perfectly fine as TE3 or TE4.
3) Wilcox is still out there. Heisoerfectly fine as TE3 or TE4.
4) Drew Sample is still out there. He is perfectly fine as TE3/TE4, and maybe even TE2.
5) Cethan Carter is available and is finexas TE3/TE4.

We will not try to sign a TE1 in FA. We will draft one on Day 1 or Day 2 of the draft. I couod see an additional pick on Day 3 as TE2. Or possibly a FA like Irv Smith. IDK if we keep 3 or 4, but I think the mix will be:

1) TE1: High Draft pick Rd1-Rd3: Mayer, Kincaid,,Washington, Mysgrave,,Kraft, LaPorta.
2) TE2: Sample + possible FA (Irv Smith) + possible Day 3 pick (Schoonmaker, Kuntz, Whyle, Allen, Latu, Durham, Mallory).
3) TE3: Asiasi, Sample, Wilcox, Carter + Smith.
4) TE4: Asiasi, Sample, Wilcox, Carter.

I'd imagine we either wait until after the draft or sign 1 more TE to a vet min level deal with no dead cap (Ford deal) and then see how the draft goes. Carter, Wilcox, & Sample level guys will likely still be there after the draft.
Reply/Quote
We've hit pretty good on our last 2 1st RD TEs. No problem going TE at #28.

WTS, I wonder if Eric Ebron is in football shape.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I hate the argument against drafting a Tight End because the production has been mediocre from that position group. The main reason there has been average production is because they have had average Tight Ends.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 12:28 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Well, for the record.

1) We started last year with 3 TEs on the 53. It rose to 4 later on.
2) Asiasi is under contract. He is perfectly fine as TE3 or TE4.
3) Wilcox is still out there. Heisoerfectly fine as TE3 or TE4.
4) Drew Sample is still out there. He is perfectly fine as TE3/TE4, and maybe even TE2.
5) Cethan Carter is available and is finexas TE3/TE4.

We will not try to sign a TE1 in FA. We will draft one on Day 1 or Day 2 of the draft. I couod see an additional pick on Day 3 as TE2. Or possibly a FA like Irv Smith. IDK if we keep 3 or 4, but I think the mix will be:

1) TE1: High Draft pick Rd1-Rd3: Mayer, Kincaid,,Washington, Mysgrave,,Kraft, LaPorta.
2) TE2: Sample + possible FA (Irv Smith) + possible Day 3 pick (Schoonmaker, Kuntz, Whyle, Allen, Latu, Durham, Mallory).
3) TE3: Asiasi, Sample, Wilcox, Carter + Smith.
4) TE4: Asiasi, Sample, Wilcox, Carter.

I'd imagine we either wait until after the draft or sign 1 more TE to a vet min level deal with no dead cap (Ford deal) and then see how the draft goes. Carter, Wilcox, & Sample level guys will likely still be there after the draft.

It's good to note that there are many stable TE3 types that can at least help block if pressed for TE2 work for a few games.  I also agree that ideal TE1 guys are not available via FA.  

They need to take advantage of what is available.  It's been said that Irv Smith Jr. could bet on himself as a showcase TE. He would see the writing on the wall that Cincy could go TE as early as the 1st, but he still has a(n injury prone) leg up as a vet.  They could still double dip at TE, with Asiasi being TE4.  

That opens the door to another convo.  If they end up with more move type TEs or big slot types, at what point do you finally consider snaps outside for Boyd?  I get that his bread and butter is in the spot, but rather than be so loyal to ST types mailing it in outside, you have better talent inside including the slot type guys behind Boyd.  Even if they draft a WR, the learning curve can be higher. So, TE looks bare at the moment but we could actually still stack enough NFL ready talent to make it a strength.  Even if Burrow likes 4 wide sets, a few of those wides could be spit out TEs. 
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 12:45 PM)Synric Wrote: I hate the argument against drafting a Tight End because the production has been mediocre from that position group. The main reason there has been average production is because they have had average Tight Ends.

Totally agree
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 12:45 PM)Synric Wrote: I hate the argument against drafting a Tight End because the production has been mediocre from that position group. The main reason there has been average production is because they have had average Tight Ends.

(03-23-2023, 01:09 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Totally agree

We are drafting a TE in the first round unless they have someone they really like better. If they lost out on Moreau that was the likely plan. Of course the draft is a ways off so of course that could change
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 01:09 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Totally agree

If Mayer is there at 28 I'm taking him. A great TE can take your offense to a different level, just look at Andy Dalton's best year 2015 was also Tyler Eifert's best year. If Wright and Jones are both there at 28 it muddys the water a bit and i would be good with any of the 3, but i think Mayer is going to be a stud with Burrow!
Reply/Quote