Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So when will Joseph Ossai start making plays?
(10-12-2022, 10:59 AM)Garrus Wrote: Ossai is also coming off an ACL injury. Given that and how young he is I am fine with his role currently. He was a 3rd round pick after all, so because of one good game in the preseason doesn't mean we should expect him to dominate so early. I think if he ever breaks out, it won't be until next year since he will be a year longer removed from the ACL injury.

Remember even Geno Atkins had a down year the year after coming back from his injury and was back to normal the year after.

That's a fair point.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

He had some flashes today.

Reply/Quote
He also drew a holding penalty today, IIRC.

He's been playing insude some on passing downs.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 11:16 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: He also drew a holding penalty today, IIRC.

He did indeed.

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 09:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

Did I misread a number, or did I see him in the middle at LB on a play?

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2022, 11:44 AM)Wyche Wrote: Did I misread a number, or did I see him in the middle at LB on a play?

He did play some LB in college

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2022, 01:20 PM)Go Cards Wrote: He did play some LB in college

Played middle, outside, and eventually hybrid (jack).  Couldn't imagine him playing middle in today's NFL regularly.  I always envisioned a TJ Watt type usage in a 3/4 package if he were to be deployed at LB.   His measurables coming out of Texas were very close to Watt's in several categories fwiw. 
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2022, 10:59 AM)Garrus Wrote: Ossai is also coming off an ACL injury. Given that and how young he is I am fine with his role currently. He was a 3rd round pick after all, so because of one good game in the preseason doesn't mean we should expect him to dominate so early. I think if he ever breaks out, it won't be until next year since he will be a year longer removed from the ACL injury.

Remember even Geno Atkins had a down year the year after coming back from his injury and was back to normal the year after.

Pretty sure it was just a meniscus, but either way, that does take some adjustment.

I wonder if he would have more of an impact as a true edge, but I don't see them moving Hubbard inside on 3rd downs.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 09:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

He was also lined up inside there. He always seemed like an edge rusher to me. Didn’t see if that was a one off or if he is consistently being put there, but it would make more sense to me to move him outside and shift Hubbard down on passing plays so he can utilize his speed more. Not that he didn’t utilize it there.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2022, 02:19 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Pretty sure it was just a meniscus, but either way, that does take some adjustment.

I wonder if he would have more of an impact as a true edge, but I don't see them moving Hubbard inside on 3rd downs.

Yep but an entire new process of him trusting himself/repaired knee and playing fast minus the thinking. I'd imagine if he can show out more consistently like yesterday they would play Sam more on the inside.
Reply/Quote

Good to see him on the field and doing what he was drafted to do.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Nice, this is what I want to see. Clearly the injury from last season was a bad one and it took some time for him to start to flash.

He sure looked good on that play and drew a penalty so he is coming around. Love it. Rock On
Reply/Quote
1st sack of his career today. Let’s hope there’s many more in stripes.

Reply/Quote
He's started
Reply/Quote
First career sack! Congratulations to him.

Reply/Quote
Today…today is when.

Crazy part is the play right before the sack he shot off the snap with insane quickness. The LT did a great job guarding him there.

He adjusted and did a spin the next play and then it was sack town.

His niche will be as a speed rusher. I know we hope he can run some DT but i just don’t think he’s strong enough.

Put him in on occasional 3rd downs in obvious pass situations and let him eat
-Housh
Reply/Quote
This stat bodes well for Ossai:

Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2022, 07:40 PM)Housh Wrote: Today…today is when.

Crazy part is the play right before the sack he shot off the snap with insane quickness. The LT did a great job guarding him there.

He adjusted and did a spin the next play and then it was sack town.

His niche will be as a speed rusher. I know we hope he can run some DT but i just don’t think he’s strong enough.

Put him in on occasional 3rd downs in obvious pass situations and let him eat

This ^

He should be starting out pretty much exclusively as a 3rd down edge rusher. He should be able to be productive in that role.

Over time he may develop a more complete game, but we drafted him to get to the QB and that’s what this team needs. Make it simple for him early on and he could really start to rack up some sacks. Glad to see him get that first sack yesterday.
Reply/Quote
"Joseph Ossai was inside of Marcus Mariota" is a rather unfortunate description of his play, however.
Reply/Quote