Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So when will Joseph Ossai start making plays?
(12-19-2022, 12:46 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: He is big enough. Just needs to continue to improve.

6-4, 253 vs Hubbard 6-5, 265

Robert Mathis was 6-2, 245
Micah parsons is 6-3, 235
Max Crosby is 6-5, 255
Nice bosa is 6-4, 266

Parsons is not an every down DE. Hubbard & Bosa are 15 pounds heavier. 

Crosby is a great pass rusher, as is/was Mathis. I am not sure either holds up particularly well vs the run. Though I don't have any data on that. 
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 03:09 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Parsons is not an every down DE. Hubbard & Bosa are 15 pounds heavier. 

Crosby is a great pass rusher, as is/was Mathis. I am not sure either holds up particularly well vs the run. Though I don't have any data on that. 

max crosby is very good against the run
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 03:18 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: max crosby is very good against the run

I did some digging, and you are correct. 

But I still maintain that smallish DE's are gonna tend to struggle more vs the run than those with a little more size. There will be exceptions (Crosby amongst them), but I think the general rule holds true. 

It's why we don't draft OLB/ESGE types often. Too small to play 4-3 DE regularly. 
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 03:09 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Parsons is not an every down DE. Hubbard & Bosa are 15 pounds heavier. 

Crosby's game is solid in every aspect.  The Raiders didn't give him a $94M extension for being a one-trick pony.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Lost in the shuffle.....Ossai was playing with a shoulder injury Sunday, still managed to make a huge hit on the QB on Pratt's INT.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 12:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: Lost in the shuffle.....Ossai was playing with a shoulder injury Sunday, still managed to make a huge hit on the QB on Pratt's INT.

Yep, great timing by Ossai in the biggest moments of the game. He also had at least a few pressures from what I seen.

Was great to see as I have been probably the biggest Ossai fan on this board.
Reply/Quote
The defensive line depth may be the number one ingredient the last 3 games and through the playoffs. The entire group is playing well and the injuries has really helped getting the reserves serious reps. As the playoffs grind on teams the trenches make a difference. The OL continues to improve and the DL as a group that needs depth to keep fresh makes this team look strong.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 10:26 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The defensive line depth may be the number one ingredient the last 3 games and through the playoffs. The entire group is playing well and the injuries has really helped getting the reserves serious reps. As the playoffs grind on teams the trenches make a difference. The OL continues to improve and the DL as a group that needs depth to keep fresh makes this team look strong.

Agree.  These reps are not just any reps.  These are reps in playoff-type atmospheres and they will produce fantastic depth.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
It’ll be interesting to see Ossai opposite Hendrickson (I’d imagine he’d slide in there, right?). Hard to replace Hubbard, but I’d imagine the pass rush shouldn’t take too big of a hit, if at all.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 10:47 AM)EatonFan Wrote: Agree.  These reps are not just any reps.  These are reps in playoff-type atmospheres and they will produce fantastic depth.

And I was thinking this as well. They aren’t mop up reps
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
IN the last 2 games Joe Ossai is credited with

11 pressures
2 sacks
1 fumble recovery
1 TD

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Carter had a heck of a game as well...
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 02:18 PM)pally Wrote: IN the last 2 games Joe Ossai is credited with

11 pressures
2 sacks
1 fumble recovery
1 TD

He’s developing into the kind of player I thought he could be. As long as he can stay healthy he has a high ceiling imo
Reply/Quote
The more Ossai, Sample, & Carter play well, the less of a priority DL becomes. I mean, I could see upgrading Gunter. Or maybe even Tupou/Tufele, but the younger guys are coming along.

That would free us up to go CB, OL, TE, WR.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 03:27 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: The more Ossai, Sample, & Carter play well, the less of a priority DL becomes. I mean, I could see upgrading Gunter. Or maybe even Tupou/Tufele, but the younger guys are coming along.

Who do you think fits?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 03:27 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: The more Ossai, Sample, & Carter play well, the less of a priority DL becomes. I mean, I could see upgrading Gunter. Or maybe even Tupou/Tufele, but the younger guys are coming along.

FWIW, I got Malik to confirm we are looking at D in the first round on his YouTube video yesterday.

Sorry Brad, I know you really want Mayer.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 03:44 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: FWIW, I got Malik to confirm we are looking at D in the first round on his YouTube video yesterday.

Sorry Brad, I know you really want Mayer.

It's way to early in the process to answer that with any certainty. I would say defense will be high on their board in the first because the top of the class is defensive heavy. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

I think the only answer in the first round this year is OL at this point. 

Bringing Hurst and Apple back on a friendly deal (they wants to be here) makes TE expendable until later rounds. Same with CB now that CTB is playing well. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 03:49 PM)Synric Wrote: It's way to early in the process to answer that with any certainty. I would say defense will be high on their board in the first because the top of the class is defensive heavy. 

Yep. Just like the playoffs a year ago really elevated the already huge need for OL, so will the 2023 playoffs. This D already has a huge chemistry and you're always looking to add 1-2 players there and especially if the ones you like fall to where you pick.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 02:18 PM)pally Wrote: IN the last 2 games Joe Ossai is credited with

11 pressures
2 sacks
1 fumble recovery
1 TD

Great to hear, I have probably been the biggest Ossai backer on the board so very happy to see him finally growing into the player I 
thought he would be. Have said it before but the way he takes angles is rare, he just has a natural way of hand fighting and disarming 
O-lineman or whoever is trying to block him. Needed him to step up with Trey's broken wrist and now we just saw Trey playing great 
with the injury which is crazy. Love this DL and Defense overall.
Reply/Quote