Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solomon Wilcots: "I'm really concerned"
Solomon shares his thoughts on the Tampa game, the teams attitude, and whether there should be concern...

"It was clear to me that one team was more focused than the other," Wilcots said when I asked him about the game on Tuesday at The NFL on CBS Media Day. "Lovie, where his team is at right now, coming into a preseason game, they've got everything to prove. That was reminiscent of a Lovie Smith defense, wasn't it? Pressure the quarterback, cover 2 on the backend, and they intercept all tips and overthrows."

"I saw a Bengals team kind of feeling like, hey, we’re accomplished, you know who we are," Wilcots said. "If they don’t understand that no one cares that they’ve been to the playoffs four straight years, they’re going to go on opening day and lose in Oakland. I’m telling you right now. Because Oakland is one of those teams like Tampa, that’s got a lot to prove. Jack Del Rio is going to have those guys ready to play."

"I’m really concerned, because for me, preseason game or no, if you’re the number one group you gotta be ready to play and they clearly weren't ready to play," Wilcots said. "And if you go back to that last game in the playoffs against Indy, they weren't ready to play. Now, I'm watching this game and I see the same lethargic attitude and it concerns me and I'm not saying that’s what we're going to get in the regular season. I’m saying after seeing that, I'm concerned, and if it’s not addressed, then it becomes a reality."

"Winning is a habit, I don't care if it's the preseason, I don't care if it's checkers," Wilcots said. "That's just what I believe. It’s just being a competitor and setting the standard for how to perform anywhere, anytime and that’s how winning becomes a habit. And so does losing, unfortunately. They should be concerned, they really should be. And the only way to stop it, is to be concerned."

CincyJungle
Reply/Quote
But raggedy is such a dog-gone good leader! Shucks Solomon.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
A LOT of really good first stringers looked bad last week, the week before, preseason last year, preseason 2007, preseason 1992, preseason 1965, and everywhere in between.

It's a good thing they weren't all doomed to hell because of it. We're obviously going to be the first team that implodes due to a handful of poor drives in the 2nd preseason game. Everyone call your local sports book!
Reply/Quote
Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Again, the ratbirds laid a bigger egg against the Eagles....and Flacco was flaccid, again. Yet, they are the favorite to win our division? Who is their WR? Do they expect to be able to catch lightning in a bottle again at RB now that Kubiak is gone? They also lost, IMHO, the heart and soul of their defense in Ngata.

This might sound like a huge deflection from the Bengal's poor outing, but isn't this common on many top tier teams? How DO they get fired up for a meaningless preseason game? The team got out of the game, for the most part, injury free. That makes me happier than anything else.

I still believe this is the best Bengals team we have had, possibly ever....at least when Burfict returns.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2015, 11:04 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: But raggedy is such a dog-gone good leader! Shucks Solomon.

This reads as more of an indictment of the coaching staff to me......

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2015, 10:55 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Solomon shares his thoughts on the Tampa game, the teams attitude, and whether there should be concern...

"It was clear to me that one team was more focused than the other," Wilcots said when I asked him about the game on Tuesday at The NFL on CBS Media Day. "Lovie, where his team is at right now, coming into a preseason game, they've got everything to prove. That was reminiscent of a Lovie Smith defense, wasn't it? Pressure the quarterback, cover 2 on the backend, and they intercept all tips and overthrows."

"I saw a Bengals team kind of feeling like, hey, we’re accomplished, you know who we are," Wilcots said. "If they don’t understand that no one cares that they’ve been to the playoffs four straight years, they’re going to go on opening day and lose in Oakland. I’m telling you right now. Because Oakland is one of those teams like Tampa, that’s got a lot to prove. Jack Del Rio is going to have those guys ready to play."

"I’m really concerned, because for me, preseason game or no, if you’re the number one group you gotta be ready to play and they clearly weren't ready to play," Wilcots said. "And if you go back to that last game in the playoffs against Indy, they weren't ready to play. Now, I'm watching this game and I see the same lethargic attitude and it concerns me and I'm not saying that’s what we're going to get in the regular season. I’m saying after seeing that, I'm concerned, and if it’s not addressed, then it becomes a reality."

"Winning is a habit, I don't care if it's the preseason, I don't care if it's checkers," Wilcots said. "That's just what I believe. It’s just being a competitor and setting the standard for how to perform anywhere, anytime and that’s how winning becomes a habit. And so does losing, unfortunately. They should be concerned, they really should be. And the only way to stop it, is to be concerned."

[b]CincyJungle[/b]

This is what I took from the game too.....lack of any energy...bad effort.  Lack of focus and sloppy play is one thing in the preseason, no effort is another.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Solly's concern is actually a great sign. I have never seen an NFL commentator so consistently get things wrong. He's the only commentator who's actually unbearable to listen to every Sunday because of the amount of things he's wrong or misinforms the viewer about. Not Joe Buck, not Collinsworth, not any of the legitimately good, professional ones people find ways to complain about. Solly's broadcasting strategy could be summed up as "Say 'The National Football League'" as many times as possible to use more words and sound smarter. He is Stephen A. Smith without the entertaining trolling.
The artist formerly known as Heretic
Reply/Quote
Yeah, it's only preseason, which used to mean limited schemes and heavy emphasis on players but never limited effort. Execute your task with your best effort used to be part of the routine, regardless of whether it's team drills in practice, preseason games, or off field public appearances. And best effort doesn't include aggressively risking one's self for injury. I believe avoiding injuries is a result of best effort. We didn't get that in Tampa, or the last playoff game or ..... you get the picture. Best efforts have yet to be this team's mantra - AS A TEAM. This team doesn't have that old school pride, which some might say that is something that can't be taught - only preached. It's a hurdle every team faces I imagine.

So tell us how truly great we're going to be, and I'm going to ask "how do you know until you see their best effort?"
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
Getting manhandled by an outdated tampa 2 defense is concerning.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I'm more concerned that Solomon thinks refs shouldn't call penalties at the end of games
Reply/Quote
Whether you agree or not with the specifics of what Wilcots is saying (as far as the preseason game)...I think his overall concerns about this team's attitude and approach are somewhat warranted.

In general, a preseason game, in and of itself, isn't overly important...win, lose, look good or look bad. However, if you're a team that has just set an NFL record with 4 consecutive clunkers in the post-season and who tends to crap your pants on the national stage on a consistent basis...you would think that the coaches and players would have put a little extra emphasis on performing well...at least with the 1st team. Even if you're out of rhythm or not executing well...you shouldn't be letting a 'lesser' team physically push you around and constantly beat you at the point of attack. That was my biggest issue with the game.

It would be one thing if a mistake riddled, uninspired and ill-prepared performance were an anomaly to this team. However, we know that whenever the lights are shining the brightest...that's exactly what we get in about 2 of every 3 primetime games and every playoff game.

They have to find a way for the 'big stage' performances to get addressed and fixed this year. I'm not saying they have to win every one of them...but I do want to see them be prepared, fired up and ultra-competitive in each one. I honestly don't think that's too much to expect.
Reply/Quote
This is a thread throughout Marvin Lewis' entire career in Cincinnati. The players and OC/DC have all changed and the one constant is Marvin. How maddening has it been to watch them in the regular season play one game like a Super Bowl champ only to turnaround and look like the most unprepared team you've ever seen? This isn't going to change. If it was, things would've been different years ago.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2015, 11:51 AM)Wyche Wrote: This is what I took from the game too.....lack of any energy...bad effort.  Lack of focus and sloppy play is one thing in the preseason, no effort is another.

and shucks..we lost a preseason game..thats what I took

wonders about  what new england, chicago, baltimore, the bengals, etc  did during the last decade when they looked like crap in preseason....oh I remember, division and conference titles and superbowls Rolleyes

wilcots needs something to write about
Reply/Quote
the bengals need t win some playoff games this year.. but to extrapolate and connect playoff games with preseason.. and lack of performance , execution etc...some of you dont know football

there was no game planning etc..and I am sure we will see Hill only running the ball 4 times a half when the season begins..LOL

too funny
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2015, 01:07 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Whether you agree or not with the specifics of what Wilcots is saying (as far as the preseason game)...I think his overall concerns about this team's attitude and approach are somewhat warranted.

In general, a preseason game, in and of itself, isn't overly important...win, lose, look good or look bad. However, if you're a team that has just set an NFL record with 4 consecutive clunkers in the post-season and who tends to crap your pants on the national stage on a consistent basis...you would think that the coaches and players would have put a little extra emphasis on performing well...at least with the 1st team. Even if you're out of rhythm or not executing well...you shouldn't be letting a 'lesser' team physically push you around and constantly beat you at the point of attack. That was my biggest issue with the game.

It would be one thing if a mistake riddled, uninspired and ill-prepared performance were an anomaly to this team. However, we know that whenever the lights are shining the brightest...that's exactly what we get in about 2 of every 3 primetime games and every playoff game.

They have to find a way for the 'big stage' performances to get addressed and fixed this year. I'm not saying they have to win every one of them...but I do want to see them be prepared, fired up and ultra-competitive in each one. I honestly don't think that's too much to expect.
yes..that MNF preseason game  was the "big Stage"    :snark:
Reply/Quote
It's concerning to me because preseason is where you work on the various issues of your team. What has been the issues with this team past few years? Pass rush, prime-time woes, inconsistent play, and all to lethargic it seems. So this is an audition to see if you've addressed these issues during camp and other meetings before the regular season starts. Does it seem like they've addressed those issues so far? Rather it counts or not, you want to see progress.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2015, 01:57 PM)xavierdude Wrote: yes..that MNF preseason game  was the "big Stage"    :snark:

I was referring to the 'big stage' failings during the regular season/playoffs under Marvin, which is probably why I talked about 2/3rds of primetime games and the playoffs. Confused 

Maybe read the post a little more carefully next time.  

As for the Tampa game, like I said...the only issue I had was that they got physically pushed around by a 'lesser' team. I don't care if it was just a joint practice, that shouldn't be happening.

BTW, care to remind me what the primetime record is?  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2015, 01:40 PM)GodFather Wrote: This is a thread throughout Marvin Lewis' entire career in Cincinnati. The players and OC/DC have all changed and the one constant is Marvin. How maddening has it been to watch them in the regular season play one game like a Super Bowl champ only to turnaround and look like the most unprepared team you've ever seen? This isn't going to change. If it was, things would've been different years ago.

At some point the players have to step on the field and make it happen...I agree that Marvin is not a great motivator but these are grown men not pee wee players that need a coach to get them 100% ready to step on the field...I am not deflecting from Marvin just stating that it is something much deeper that that...As much as I hate it and love our recent drafts and the quality of players we have gotten sometimes you just need that nasty asshole out on the field... The guy that dropped in the draft because of his attitude or some other reason and takes it to the field (more Burficts for example)...These goody goody guys were great for cleaning up the image off the field for the Bengals but may have hurt as far as attitude on the field....just my opinion...
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2015, 01:40 PM)GodFather Wrote: This is a thread throughout Marvin Lewis' entire career in Cincinnati. The players and OC/DC have all changed and the one constant is Marvin. How maddening has it been to watch them in the regular season play one game like a Super Bowl champ only to turnaround and look like the most unprepared team you've ever seen? This isn't going to change. If it was, things would've been different years ago.

I'm afraid you are probably right.

Reply/Quote