Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Someone convince me to stay
Staying is your choice. The Bengals have given me great memories. My first first NFL game in 1968 with my father at Nippert Stadium where the Bengals, and John Stofa, upset Denver. My Freezer Bowl with my best friends. Two Super Bowl experiences that will always be remembered. Many season tickets. Countless games with friends (win or lose).

I will always be a fan and love the game.

Lighten up, just enjoy life, smile more, laugh more, and don't get so worked up about things (especially sports (Bengals)).
Reply/Quote
Just do what I do.

Pay a visit to the Browns board.

Misery loves company during these dark moments. You'll come out of it feeling a little better.

I don't know what else to do. I want to stan the Vikings but they games won't be on much here. And I'm not outraged enough to pay for the Ticket. So I'm stuck..... For now. I'm not going to believe tho, until I see.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 08:55 PM)Nately120 Wrote: You can have one NFL team and one AFC team.  Just don't pick the Bears and Bengals like I did in 1988 or so.  Ouch.
You're saying the Bengals aren't an NFL team? Ninja

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 08:55 PM)Nately120 Wrote: You can have one NFL team and one AFC team.  Just don't pick the Bears and Bengals like I did in 1988 or so.  Ouch.

Agreed.  Have a second team, just choose that second team wisely.  Rams are up and comers, Vikes and Eagles are looking good.  I'm a Bengals and Lions fan, with the latter team since the mid-'80s.  Lions did win one playoff game in early '92 but since then, we've had an 0-16 (thanks for joining us, Browns) and zero playoff wins.  Been a real shit show for me for a solid quarter century.  You don't like watching AJ waste his career?  Try watching Barry Sanders do that. 

At least they're trying to replace Caldwell with someone decent.  More than this ***** organization will do.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
I’ve got nothing.......No good reason to stay.
Reply/Quote
While we haven't gotten to celebrate the post season wins we've still gotten to watch some pretty good football over the tenure of ML..
I'm glad (I think) we're moving on from Paulieball, but I still think Marvin will have us back into contention. I'm not sure about Lazor so we'll have to see, but I've talked about ditching my feelings towards the Bengals, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I gave up on even talking about finding a different team to root for mainly because it's embarrassing to keep saying I'm done only to bite another season so I'll hang on and hope for the best. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 08:11 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I'm one of those that said if Merv comes back I'm done with the Bengals. Here's the thing: I never expected him to come back.

Now, I truly don't want to root for the Bengals anymore. But, I've never switched team loyalties before and I don't know if I can do it.

Thus, I leave it to you, my fellow (as of now) Bengals fans, someone convince me to stay a fan. I want to be like Mike: too lazy to make the effort to change.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I'm in a holding pattern for now.

If I see real moving and shaking going on. And I mean for real !!!!!!

PA gone, active free agency, turds gone - pac man, MJ, Bodine etc.

I might see what happens ? If it's just lip service and Mike is still running his cheap show, I'm done until Mike is !!!!!

Help any ?
Reply/Quote
I'm gone, see you when Marvin is gone.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 09:50 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: I’ve got nothing.......No good reason to stay.

Many good reasons:

- Team is conveniently located
- Many good seats available, and cheap!
- Parking and post-game traffic are a breeze
- You can face Mike's suite and give him the finger in person
- No whining from the wife about long lines in the women's' restroom 
- Escalators work the majority of the time

The list goes on.....
Reply/Quote
We all wanted Marvin to go, but here is something I don't think many of us have thought about.

There are around 8 teams releasing coaches and looking for new blood. This means that we would have to compete for these coaches with about 25% of the league. Cincinnati, believe it or not, is not a desired situation for head coaching. Most coaches would choose other options, either because of the freedom they would have with that franchise, or for fiscal reasons.

This leaves Mike Brown/Cincinnati scraping the bottom of the barrel for coaching candidates. Any ideal candidates will have signed somewhere else. Honestly, we would probably end up with a coach WORSE than Marvin (hard to believe eh? well they are out there).

I don't think it's a buyers market by any means, and Mike Brown probably sees it this way as well. Hang onto Marvin for a bit longer until there are less teams to compete with for candidates.

(I guess the moral of the story is, we probably could have had a worse candidate, so you should stick with Marvin one more time! Big Grin)
Reply/Quote
I found the coach search interesting on this level. Several teams have contacted other teams asking for permission to interview their assistants.

Marvin is technically a free agent and no such permission was requested (since it wasn’t needed) and still nobody brought him in for a freebie.

Maybe the league knew all along Marvin was coming back here. Or no team is interested in him. I guess they could have been lining up their candidates but he wasn’t linked to any other jobs yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 10:06 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I found the coach search interesting on this level.  Several teams have contacted other teams asking for permission to interview their assistants.

Marvin is technically a free agent and no such permission was requested (since it wasn’t needed) and still nobody brought him in for a freebie.

Maybe the league knew all along Marvin was coming back here.  Or no team is interested in him.  I guess they could have been lining up their candidates but he wasn’t linked to any other jobs yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think with Marvin it's Cinci or nothing. People don't often acknowledge that Cincinnati is his baby. He has literally dictated this franchise for a decade and a half. I doubt he wants to move onto something new, unless its HIS team winning in the playoffs.... gotta think Marvin is attached to this city.

(I bet he got asked, but made it clear that he isn't moving around)
Reply/Quote
6-9-1
7-9
(next year, pattern): 8-8.

There's a lot more wrong with this team than Marvin Lewis, but sticking with Marvin is acceptance of the poor performing team. Have to talk to Cleveland fans to understand why you stay.
Reply/Quote
I can't convince you to stay, Phil. That has to come from you. Though, I do enjoy your wisdom, wit, and insight on things Bengals and otherwise. Sincerely hope that you can come to terms, like the rest of us will.

(sorry if this was already said, didn't read the first 50 posts) Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 09:59 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: We all wanted Marvin to go, but here is something I don't think many of us have thought about.

There are around 8 teams releasing coaches and looking for new blood. This means that we would have to compete for these coaches with about 25% of the league. Cincinnati, believe it or not, is not a desired situation for head coaching. Most coaches would choose other options, either because of the freedom they would have with that franchise, or for fiscal reasons.

This leaves Mike Brown/Cincinnati scraping the bottom of the barrel for coaching candidates. Any ideal candidates will have signed somewhere else. Honestly, we would probably end up with a coach WORSE than Marvin (hard to believe eh? well they are out there).

I don't think it's a buyers market by any means, and Mike Brown probably sees it this way as well. Hang onto Marvin for a bit longer until there are less teams to compete with for candidates.

(I guess the moral of the story is, we probably could have had a worse candidate, so you should stick with Marvin one more time! Big Grin)

Mo had speculated on his show this afternoon that the Bengals were set on getting either Hue or Jay, and when their organizations decided to hang on to them, the Bengals had no Plan C and decided that it was best to stick with Merv.  I can buy them having no other plan a lot more than it being a case of Mike making a shrewd decision.  He's a stubborn old fool that doesn't like change.  Doesn't seem any more strategic than that.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 10:14 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Mo had speculated on his show this afternoon that the Bengals were set on getting either Hue or Jay, and when their organizations decided to hang on to them, the Bengals had no Plan C and decided that it was best to stick with Merv.  I can buy them having no other plan a lot more than it being a case of Mike making a shrewd decision.  He's a stubborn old fool that doesn't like change.  Doesn't seem any more strategic than that.

I would like Marvin's Contract to state he only gets paid for games they win. That will be enough for me to stay, to see the satisfaction of us losing and him not being paid.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 10:17 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I would like Marvin's Contract to state he only gets paid for games they win. That will be enough for me to stay, to see the satisfaction of us losing and him not being paid.

Yeah, they could call it "Win Mike Brown's money."  Tune in every week to see Marvin wear the dunce cap.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 10:14 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Mo had speculated on his show this afternoon that the Bengals were set on getting either Hue or Jay, and when their organizations decided to hang on to them, the Bengals had no Plan C and decided that it was best to stick with Merv.  I can buy them having no other plan a lot more than it being a case of Mike making a shrewd decision.  He's a stubborn old fool that doesn't like change.  Doesn't seem any more strategic than that.

Hey now, the point of this thread is to convince the poster to stay!

[But I agree, hiring Marvin was most likely the easiest, laziest, no-thought decision that it always has been for Mike Brown, but we can at least pretend his 82 year old mind is still sharp and working tirelessly to improve this franchise :andy: ]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 09:59 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: We all wanted Marvin to go, but here is something I don't think many of us have thought about.

The problem with that?  According to NFL Network, these idiots are just waiting for Vance Joseph, Hue fuggin Jackson, or Jay Gruden to.....get this.....get fired, then try to hire one of them.  That came from a source close to the situation.  After this gotdamned kick to the fuggin groin, I'm SURE this is their "plan".

**** Mike Brown.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I gotta say many of you have no future as a suicide prevention counselor.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote