Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sounds like business as usual in free agency
(01-24-2020, 05:50 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: If they draft Burrow and the rumors about some teams offering several 1st round picks for the #1OA are true they better do something to make the Burrow pick worth it.  As we all know even if Burrow is the real deal, the next great QB, he will still need a better team around him.  So they better be willing to do something in FA on both sides of the ball.  Otherwise they are just buying more time to fill the seats via the Burrow signing and hoping for the best via the rest of the draft.  

The problem I see with the Bengals and FA is it probably will cost them more coming off a 2-14 season to sign quality FAs as opposed to a team that is more of a contender.  The Bengals are not actually known as a destination team for free agents for many reasons given their history and recent track record.  Let's hope things change come March.  I'm not expecting the Bengals to land any top free agent linebackers or offensive linemen but even some mid range FA players that are better than what the Bengals have would be a good start.

Yes, have to ensure the Burrow pick by at least getting some mid tier FA's at OL and a weapon or two.

Linebacker must be addressed as well either by FA or the Draft as this is the clear hole on Defense. Vigil is not the answer even if 
he is better than some say. Pratt should really improve in his second year but Evans hasn't been very good.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 05:03 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: A lot of it isn't even how much they spend, it's who and how they spend it that's the real problem.

Here's the rub for 2020. The Bengals are sitting on roughly $50m in cap space. Subtract the draft pool which I'm guessing will come in around $9m and then the $5m they save for injuries. We're down to $36m. Franchise tag AJ for $18m. Leaves the team down to $18m. We probably want to re-sign Dennard and Billings. The team probably wants to re-sign Eifert. Other potential players that could be re-upped; Vigil, Jerry, Redmond, maybe Fej. That's all before trying to work an extension with Mixon and does not include trading Dalton or any other player. Other potential extensions would be WJIII and Lawson.

There's a lot of assumptions in there, so I could be way off. Our cap number could be higher and moving Dalton/Glenn/DreK?or whoever else could add a lot of additional money. However, if I can make their cap disappear that quickly I can guarantee The Family can make it go even quicker. As much as we need to be active and try to bring in some help and upgrades, the team has probably already mapped out how they can re-sign their own and leave little if any money for outside free agents.
Moving on from Dalton and Glenn are no brainers. Cutting Dalton would save $17.5 million and Glenn $9.5 million. Don't see them signing Jerry at 35 years old. Fej is a special teamer and Redmond a bottom of the roster guard who shouldn't cost much if brought back. I wound't overpay for Vigil we can't get any worse without him. Dennard is ok but i still wouldn't  overpay. Eifert isn't a must he's 30 and this is the first full season he's played 16 plus we just resigned Uzomah and drafted Sample in round 2. I like Billings he is young with upside which is good for a rebuilding team, hopefully resigning as 4-3 nose tackle won't break the bank. We'll probably have to wait on WJII to see how he plays in 2020. Mixon is great but putting huge money into a running back and ageing WR in Green is risky and doesn't make us a contender. I just don't want the Bengals to sign a high volume of cheap/ below average role guys like Fej, Redmond , Wilson, Tupo ect. and they cry poor saying we signed our own. I rather sign two impact free agents at linebacker and offensive line then 6 bottom of the roster guys.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 05:54 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Can someone explain to me the significance/meaning of "Pick #10a?"

I know we're talking about the overall #1, I just don't understand why the extra letters and numbers. Make brain hurty.

It just means number one over all first round. As opposed to a team like the Redskins that have the round 1 2OA pick. Just shortened lingo I suppose like LoL, WTF, FML etc.. I guess for the purpose of this forum it could be shortened to #1.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 05:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I have definitely fell into the apathetic category. Burrow would definitely help but if anyone could ruin him it would be the 
Stains or us with this type of speak. At least Taylor is a fun guy and wants to be a good coach, when you listen to the top 
of this org and the talking heads it brings us all back down to a 2-14 reality.

No doubt, is that too hard?

Simple, trade Dalton, don't tag AJ, let Glenn's salary go...

That is like 40 mil or more to spend right there.

Hilarious 

True, I truly believe Burrow could be the next great QB, but it won't matter if they don't put players around him to
help him succeed. He needs a decent OL and some weapons especially if we move on from AJ which I think we should
if he doesn't sign a contract that is extremely incentive laden.

The Draft isn't going to cut it as we have all seen over the years with all these shitty picks that have been made.

My big concern is the thought now that the Bengals may take someone other than Burrow. Doing that would really rub me the wrong way.
Even with Burrow, it will be really hard to be optimistic with this team if they don't bring in good talent in FA.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 06:07 PM)ochocincos Wrote: My big concern is the thought now that the Bengals may take someone other than Burrow. Doing that would really rub me the wrong way.
Even with Burrow, it will be really hard to be optimistic with this team if they don't bring in good talent in FA.

If they take someone besides Burrow I don't know what I would do. I don't think I could be a Bengal fan anymore.

If they take Herbert or a hurt Tua I think I am done. They ain't winning shit.

I always have said I will always be a Bengal fan no matter what but this would probably push me over the edge.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 06:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If they take someone besides Burrow I don't know what I would do. I don't think I could be a Bengal fan anymore.

If they take Herbert or a hurt Tua I think I am done. They ain't winning shit.

I always have said I will always be a Bengal fan no matter what but this would probably push me over the edge.

I will wait until after FA and before draft to go postal.

Could we just once see what they do versus assuming they will screw it up.

Sorry, but we have history of bad off seasons, but also went from a 4 win team to playoffs and then to playoffs 4 more years on a row with same group in FO
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 07:08 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I will wait until after FA and before draft to go postal.

Sorry, but we have history of bad off seasons, but also went fro, 4 win team to playoffs and then to playoffs 4 more years on a row with same group in FO

Not going postal yet either, just am not liking what I am hearing from these guys.

This FO just cannot assume that Burrow and the Draft will do it all after a 2-14 season.

They have to at least bring in 3 or so mid tier FA's, heck Thuney at Guard and Jamie Collins at LB would make me happy.

Still will need to be adding weapons if AJ is out of here and even if he is back considering his injury history.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 07:08 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I will wait until after FA and before draft to go postal.

Sorry, but we have history of bad off seasons, but also went fro, 4 win team to playoffs and then to playoffs 4 more years on a row with same group in FO

I think that's always been the issue though. Even during that 5 year run, they were never willing to go all in, even though they had talented teams that were seemingly ready to take the next step, with just a top tier signing or 2 to help push them to that next level and win a playoff game. Even then, the front office was unwilling to take that step...one that seemed logical and necessary to pretty much everyone else. 

Their approach has always seemed to be hoping for the best in the draft, and then signing lower tier or lowered priced FA's to simply attempt to fill holes, and not necessarily to elevate the team. At some point, you would think they would agree that it's time to take a different approach because what they've been doing simply hasn't worked in terms of what should be the end goal.

Hopefully, they do something of note in free agency and give us a reason to applaud their efforts, but hearing this recent talk coming from Duke and others doesn't exactly inspire confidence that will happen.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 07:27 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I think that's always been the issue though. Even during that 5 year run, they were never willing to go all in, even though that had talented teams that were seemingly ready to take the next step, with just a top tier signing or 2 to help push them to that next level and win a playoff game. Even then, the front office was unwilling to take that step...one that seemed logical and necessary to pretty much everyone else. 

Their approach has always seemed to be hoping for the best in the draft, and then signing lower tier or lowered priced FA's to simply attempt to fill holes, and not necessarily to elevate the team. At some point, you would think they would agree that it's time to take a different approach because what they've been doing simply hasn't worked in terms of what should be the end goal.

Hopefully, they do something of note in free agency and give us a reason to applaud their efforts,
but hearing this recent talk coming from Duke and others doesn't exactly inspire confidence that will happen.

Applause means nothing, only winning will change the outlook.

They are on trial to do whatever to get back to winning in 2020, anything short of a winning 2020 season is just more failure. I will not applaud a 7 or less win season. I will be very upset, I have them on trial and I will judge them based on results.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 04:01 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I just got done listening to Dan Horad's podcast with Lap. They were discussing free agency and both guys pointed to Duke's statement about 'not forcing it' and neither Lap or Hoard sounded very enthusiastic about free agency this year. Couple that with Hobson saying that they wouldn't go out of their 'comfort zone' in pursuing free agents, and it sounds like a repeat of the same old approach, unfortunately.

I sure as hell hope it isn't, and that once free agency gets started, they will aggressive and willing to paying a better caliber of player than usual, but it doesn't sound that way so far. Last year was one of the laziest and least inspiring free agents periods I've ever seen from this franchise and that' saying something. Having the chance to draft a potential franchise QB and having guys that can come off the books like Andy and AJ creates a great opportunity to be aggressive in free agency and attempt to make this team as competitive as possible, as soon as possible. 

If they simply use the draft and sign a couple lower tier free agents like last year, then IMO, they've decided once again to take the route which requires the least effort and willingness to do whatever it takes to win.

BINGO!!!! we have a winner folks. and it is sealed with a kiss of death by elmer fudd!!!!

Reply/Quote
If you want to get a good idea of who the Bengals will target in free agency, just watch the waiver wire. And, since the Bengals are tops on the waiver claim list, don't be surprised if the team simply puts in a few claims and calls it a "well done" in free agency. Then Hobspin will write an article claiming these waiver wire pickups were like have extra draft picks. I'm sure Mike Brown and Co are telling themselves that there's another Bobby Hart out there just waiting to be cut. LOL

I guess there's always the draft the look forward to, except after last season's draft I've pretty much lost any confidence that this coaching staff could scout for a high school team.

Sadly, I expect another Sample like pick on day 2 where the Bengals' brain trust has another brain fart and talks themselves into over drafting another dud that leaves the football world and fans with a puzzling look of disbelief on their faces.

Reply/Quote
My guess would be that they sign AJ to a new contract or at the very least franchise him. They keep Andy here for his final year. Draft Burrow. Sign some low tier free agents and Hobson will write his yearly article about how the Bengals are about outta cap space and need some for roll over for injuries and such. In other words the same 'ol "stuff".
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 07:27 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I think that's always been the issue though. Even during that 5 year run, they were never willing to go all in, even though that had talented teams that were seemingly ready to take the next step, with just a top tier signing or 2 to help push them to that next level and win a playoff game. Even then, the front office was unwilling to take that step...one that seemed logical and necessary to pretty much everyone else. 

Hopefully, they do something of note in free agency and give us a reason to applaud their efforts, but hearing this recent talk coming from Duke and others doesn't exactly inspire confidence that will happen.

Sadly, that NFL welfare check comes every year regardless of the effort put forth by the franchise.

New Dey = Same Ol' Dey, except worse.

Reply/Quote
Would you look at that?

***** nobody is surprised.
Reply/Quote
I don't expect a free agency extravaganza, but it's tough to envision even the Bengals doing absolutely nothing after parting with guys like Dalton and Glenn. I expect a couple of "C" grade free agents. I also think we'll franchise AJ Green, which will eat up a big chunk. After that, expect the old spiel from Hobson.

But we will sign a semi-decent guy or two. I'd bet on it.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 09:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't expect a free agency extravaganza, but it's tough to envision even the Bengals doing absolutely nothing after parting with guys like Dalton and Glenn. I expect a couple of "C" grade free agents. I also think we'll franchise AJ Green, which will eat up a big chunk. After that, expect the old spiel from Hobson.

But we will sign a semi-decent guy or two. I'd bet on it.

I hope your right and they move on from Dalton, but I'll believe it when I see it. I hope your also right about signing a semi-decent free agent or two, we shall see. Maybe young Zac can talk some sense into old Mike, but I wouldn't count on it.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 04:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: When Marvin first arrived the Bengals signed a few quality free agents. Not big stars, but established starters and/or decently rated players like John Thornton, Tory James, Bobbie Williams, Duane Clemmons, Nate Webster, Reggie Kelly, Kim Herring, and Kevin Hardy.

Then again in 2011, after a 12 loss season, they signed three new defensive starters (Manny Lawson, Thomas Howard, Nate Clemmons).

I am not expecting any top rated free agents, but I do expect more that the last few years.

The problem is those seasons were the exception and not the rule. The last few offseasons have netted Tier C and D free agents that have largely underwhelmed, just like the front office. The Bengals miserly, dumpster diving approach to free agency has largely proven to be a hindrance to building a quality team. The team’s record over the tenure of the strategy alludes to this. We’re not asking for a Redskins or Jets-level FA spending spree, but it would be nice to sign actual difference makers in key positions of need. You can’t build a Ferrari buying spare Ford parts.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
Just finished the podcast with Lap and Hobson. Hobson said he thinks they addressed the offensive line with the O'Shea Duags , Isiah Prince and the Fred Johnson moves which gave me a good laugh. Like what are we talking about here no sane person can believe this garbage. Without free agency their basically banking on everything going right with their current roster and this upcoming draft.

- hoping Jonah Williams can to be a good LT
- hoping Michael Jordan can develop into a good guard
- hoping either Bobby Hart or Fred Johnson can turn into respectable NFL starting tackles
- hoping John Miller can be decent or hoping Price isn’t a bust and can win a guard spot
- hoping John Ross can stay healthy
- hoping Green stays healthy and signs with them after the season
- hoping they can draft multiple good linebackers without signing free agents even tho they haven’t been able to in forever ! seriously who’s the last good linebacker they drafted ?
-hoping aging vets maintain a high level of play
- hoping guys like William Jackson III don’t keep regressing and them being able to draft another good young CB
- hoping there 2nd round pick Sample can provide anything to justify him being picked that early.
Reply/Quote
I almost expect them to announce a huge investment in fan appreciation and announce the multi million dollar investment in the new huge statue of mike brown in front of PBS.. You just know millions of people from all around the world would attend the unveiling. Whatever Did I mention the phrase, "In a pigs eye"?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
They will sign free agents but not until May-June. They wait until all the high priced guys have signed with teams then they get the trash left over.
Reply/Quote