Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sounds like business as usual in free agency
Swiss Alps at trade deadline, prolly Paoli Peaks or Snowshoe during free agency. These effing turds....why do we bother?

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
On the bright side, Tobin won't have to be tempted to counter years of poor drafts with free agent gambles. He's the new Marvin since we can't get to Palpetine. Let's look at the glass being half full in Cincy, just don't question what it's half full of.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2020, 01:17 AM)phil413 Wrote: On the bright side, Tobin won't have to be tempted to counter years of poor drafts with free agent gambles.  He's the new Marvin since we can't get to Palpetine.  Let's look at the glass being half full in Cincy, just don't question what it's half full of.

elmer fudd:  regarding f/a: we don't want to get better paying other teams good players to play for us!!!

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 04:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well good luck filling seats and fans buying merchandise. Sure, Burrow would do some of this but it still wouldn't be what it 
could be. Damn I wish I owned this team, not saying I would be better but I damn sure would try.

They don’t really try. Their success comes more from somebody falling in their lap than it does from effort. It might be a vacation trip time again during the first week of free agency. They just do NOT care enough to go the extra mile. They wasted the prime of 3 studs and they can waste a talented QB too.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 04:01 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I just got done listening to Dan Horad's podcast with Lap. They were discussing free agency and both guys pointed to Duke's statement about 'not forcing it' and neither Lap or Hoard sounded very enthusiastic about free agency this year. Couple that with Hobson saying that they wouldn't go out of their 'comfort zone' in pursuing free agents, and it sounds like a repeat of the same old approach, unfortunately.

I sure as hell hope it isn't, and that once free agency gets started, they will aggressive and willing to paying a better caliber of player than usual, but it doesn't sound that way so far. Last year was one of the laziest and least inspiring free agents periods I've ever seen from this franchise and that' saying something. Having the chance to draft a potential franchise QB and having guys that can come off the books like Andy and AJ creates a great opportunity to be aggressive in free agency and attempt to make this team as competitive as possible, as soon as possible. 

If they simply use the draft and sign a couple lower tier free agents like last year, then IMO, they've decided once again to take the route which requires the least effort and willingness to do whatever it takes to win.

Unreal! After a 2-14 season there shouldn’t be business as usual, hell not even a “Comfort Zone” unless their comfortable being at the bottom. I’ve been a fan for 40 years, if this FO approaches this off season as usual I will be ......well not shocked at all actually. Pissed but no point in getting excited for FA pickups/ trades etc that will never happen. Fool me once shame on you, fool me 39 damn seasons shame on me.
Reply/Quote
Well when Mike Brown was speaking in regards to trading AJ he did say “ He’s not in the business of making other teams better” . Seems he was referring to his own team as well.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 04:01 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I just got done listening to Dan Horad's podcast with Lap. They were discussing free agency and both guys pointed to Duke's statement about 'not forcing it' and neither Lap or Hoard sounded very enthusiastic about free agency this year. Couple that with Hobson saying that they wouldn't go out of their 'comfort zone' in pursuing free agents, and it sounds like a repeat of the same old approach, unfortunately.

I sure as hell hope it isn't, and that once free agency gets started, they will aggressive and willing to paying a better caliber of player than usual, but it doesn't sound that way so far. Last year was one of the laziest and least inspiring free agents periods I've ever seen from this franchise and that' saying something. Having the chance to draft a potential franchise QB and having guys that can come off the books like Andy and AJ creates a great opportunity to be aggressive in free agency and attempt to make this team as competitive as possible, as soon as possible. 

If they simply use the draft and sign a couple lower tier free agents like last year, then IMO, they've decided once again to take the route which requires the least effort and willingness to do whatever it takes to win.

I think the forcing it was more towards trading Andy away, but I don't expect this team to do much in free agency. They'll probably resign AJ to a 3 year deal and claim that was a major victory, thus ending any more moves in free agency.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote

We are best to not get our hopes up (like every year).  However, this is what I do.  I plan.  I design.  I dream.  If they don't see it happening for other teams and only focus on their turd FA acquisitions (Antonio Bryant) than they will continue to just flounder along below real competitiveness.  

Their stands are, for the most part, empty.  The fan base is very excited about Burrow, but not stupid enough to think a QB will solve even half of their problems, if any at all.  

The money saved on Dalton's eminent departure (yes, it is only one year) and the potential savings behind trading guys (largely to get out of the contract...Don't expect higher than a 3rd round pick for either) like Kirkpatrick and Gio would allow for the signing of Whit to play LG and Thuney to play RG.  Maybe someone will offer something for Billy Price that needs a center and get out of his contract as well.  They would have enough depth with Miller and Jordan, as he played center as well.  

Defensively, although they certainly played better toward the end of the year, they need a playmaker at SS, a true sideline to sideline LB, and depth at DE/DT.  Of course, they could also use a RT, and if Bechton is there in Rd 2, you take him (supposed to be gone now, but who knows...since he is a RT).  

My dream is that they get those FA I mentioned, get picks for Dalton(2nd), Dre(3rd), and Gio(3rd) and address all those positions I mentioned.  Sure, most rookies don't make a huge impact as rookies, but if you can get the SS and LB with your second round picks, and a RT, DE, and possibly another LB with your third round picks, you have at least given this team a chance.  

I have no doubts the offense will roll but the defense needs a lot of help and you could add as many as 3 top 50 players to help there if you slide a bit in Rd 2 and pick up an additional 2nd rounder (dolphins and bills have all kinds of draft capital). 

Fingers crossed that they approach this offseason differently.  
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2020, 03:27 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Well when Mike Brown was speaking in regards to trading AJ he did say “ He’s not in the business of making other teams better” . Seems he was referring to his own team as well.

You sure Mikey wasn't talking about himself?
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2020, 03:27 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Well when Mike Brown was speaking in regards to trading AJ he did say “ He’s not in the business of making other teams better” . Seems he was referring to his own team as well.

The funny thing about that quote is that he is admitting that you CAN get better by acquiring talent from other teams.
Reply/Quote
[Image: th?id=OIP.KpK-UbmZBggKQbpQiDMklQHaD4&pid...=289&h=152][Image: th?id=OIP.dhQfGo0g95r9lxDq_3vgxQHaG3&pid...=174&h=162]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Good enough and hope for the best.  The Bengals mantra.

[Image: th?id=OIP.FzAOXwveZ0znY4O_CalKiwHaEL&pid...=350&h=198][Image: hqdefault.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 09:21 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: I hope your right and they move on from Dalton, but I'll believe it when I see it. I hope your also right about signing a semi-decent free agent or two, we shall see. Maybe young Zac can talk some sense into old Mike, but I wouldn't count on it.

Well Duke Tobin sure made it sound like they want to treat Dalton with class and would take his input on any trades. Dalton wants to start and I think the Bengals respect what he's done for the franchise, enough to not keep him as an unhappy backup. I started out thinking there was about a 40% chance we kept Dalton as a backup. After that Tobin interview, I'm 90% sure Dalton is gone.

The Bengals also have a pretty lengthy history of signing some players in free agency. They've never gone all out, but the last couple off-seasons have been dry even by Bengals standards. I know it's easy to be pessimistic about free agency, but I really think we see an uptick this off-season. Not saying we're going to sign any big names, I just think it'll be more like the old standard free agency where we sign someone like a Travelle Wharton.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Sounds like there just gonna draft Burrow and try to fill all there needs with the remaining 6 picks. Like what’s there plan ? We had the worse defense in the league the last two seasons and there solution last season was to add B.W. Webb and Wynn. Seems like this year they think they can just draft a few guys and that will magically make this defense good. One of the positions they have to draft is linebacker which they haven’t been able to draft in forever. They look at the offseason line and think , O’Shea Dugas , Isiah Prince , Fred Johnson and Bobby Hart are good competition for RT. There ok with not upgrading at guard just hoping , Jordan, Price , Miller or Remond will be not terrible when there’s a great free agent guard class available this year.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2020, 11:36 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: [Image: th?id=OIP.KpK-UbmZBggKQbpQiDMklQHaD4&pid...=289&h=152][Image: th?id=OIP.dhQfGo0g95r9lxDq_3vgxQHaG3&pid...=174&h=162]

Looks like the crowd for one of our home games.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2020, 08:52 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: We are best to not get our hopes up (like every year).  However, this is what I do.  I plan.  I design.  I dream.  If they don't see it happening for other teams and only focus on their turd FA acquisitions (Antonio Bryant) than they will continue to just flounder along below real competitiveness.  

Their stands are, for the most part, empty.  The fan base is very excited about Burrow, but not stupid enough to think a QB will solve even half of their problems, if any at all.  

The money saved on Dalton's eminent departure (yes, it is only one year) and the potential savings behind trading guys (largely to get out of the contract...Don't expect higher than a 3rd round pick for either) like Kirkpatrick and Gio would allow for the signing of Whit to play LG and Thuney to play RG.  Maybe someone will offer something for Billy Price that needs a center and get out of his contract as well.  They would have enough depth with Miller and Jordan, as he played center as well.  

Defensively, although they certainly played better toward the end of the year, they need a playmaker at SS, a true sideline to sideline LB, and depth at DE/DT.  Of course, they could also use a RT, and if Bechton is there in Rd 2, you take him (supposed to be gone now, but who knows...since he is a RT).  

My dream is that they get those FA I mentioned, get picks for Dalton(2nd), Dre(3rd), and Gio(3rd) and address all those positions I mentioned.  Sure, most rookies don't make a huge impact as rookies, but if you can get the SS and LB with your second round picks, and a RT, DE, and possibly another LB with your third round picks, you have at least given this team a chance.  

I have no doubts the offense will roll but the defense needs a lot of help and you could add as many as 3 top 50 players to help there if you slide a bit in Rd 2 and pick up an additional 2nd rounder (dolphins and bills have all kinds of draft capital). 

The thing is if they don't put players around Burrow to succeed the stadium will be pretty much empty at home games and it
will all be on his shoulders. He will need help no matter how good he is, he cannot do it all and it would be unfair to do this to 
him and it would make him bitter sooner or later.

I don't think we are as far off on Defense as you do SHRacer, I think if we get a couple sideline to sideline tackling covering 
Linebackers we will instantly be much better on Defense. This along with a better Offense keeping the Defense off the field 
should really help, but Burrow will need help for this to happen. It cannot all be on him.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2020, 08:52 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: We are best to not get our hopes up (like every year).  However, this is what I do.  I plan.  I design.  I dream.  If they don't see it happening for other teams and only focus on their turd FA acquisitions (Antonio Bryant) than they will continue to just flounder along below real competitiveness.  

The money saved on Dalton's eminent departure (yes, it is only one year)
and the potential savings behind trading guys (largely to get out of the contract...Don't expect higher than a 3rd round pick for either) like Kirkpatrick and Gio would allow for the signing of Whit to play LG and Thuney to play RG.  Maybe someone will offer something for Billy Price that needs a center and get out of his contract as well.  They would have enough depth with Miller and Jordan, as he played center as well.  

Good thoughts and only thing I would add is the exchange long term of Burrow for Dalton in reality will extend 4 years. in 2020, it just begins the savings of 18 million for 8+ million. Do, we have 4 years of large cap savings on a QB. Other teams also have QB's whose cap hit is over 20 million baked in for years so we have more money to spend on other positions/players than they do.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
So, if any of you pay attention outside of the Bengals fan bubble.

Nobody. And I DO MEAN NOBODY. Has cared about the Bengals or what they've been up to since 2015.

Sometimes you wonder if they would even post game scores if it weren't for their opponent's interest.

If anything, to say The Family/Tobin and the team in general have been flying under the radar would be a massive understatement.

Now with Burrow being considered the pick they use at #1 people from College fans, other NFL fans, and your neighbor's Grandma have an overnight interest in this shitty run team.

With that being said... Don't you think the pressure should be put on the FO and the new boy genius HC?

Perhaps the drive to get a Vet coach at some capacity(OC)? Make a few serious moves in Free Agency?

They will be scrutinized more than after the epic Playoff meltdown of not firing Marvin.

If they sit on their hands, and Burrow flops they will be blamed and ridiculed, and not just by their "ungrateful" fans.

It will be the whole "They'll ruin Joe 'cause... Bengals" narrative that has been floating around.

Please tell me they gotta know this?!?

Sadly it might actually be easier and less effort for them to trade the pick and let it be someone else's "problem".

Would they get ridiculed by the media for letting Burrow go? Yeah, but it's short lived.

They can just move onto their little effort bottom dwelling FAs plus the draft, and only hear bitching from the regular fan base instead of the rest of the world.

I think I'm gonna have a drink or 10 now. Nervous
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2020, 04:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The thing is if they don't put players around Burrow to succeed the stadium will be pretty much empty at home games and it
will all be on his shoulders. He will need help no matter how good he is, he cannot do it all and it would be unfair to do this to 
him and it would make him bitter sooner or later.

I don't think we are as far off on Defense as you do SHRacer, I think if we get a couple sideline to sideline tackling covering 
Linebackers we will instantly be much better on Defense. This along with a better Offense keeping the Defense off the field 
should really help, but Burrow will need help for this to happen. It cannot all be on him.

Add a playmaking safety to replace Shawn Williams and I will agree.  Like Preston Brown, we won't realize how poor he is until we have a real SS in that position.  The guys playing that spot in the playoffs make Williams look like a corpse.  
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2020, 05:13 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Add a playmaking safety to replace Shawn Williams and I will agree.  Like Preston Brown, we won't realize how poor he is until we have a real SS in that position.  The guys playing that spot in the playoffs make Williams look like a corpse.  

Karl Joseph would be a great grab.
Reply/Quote