Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spain is back
(03-23-2021, 04:01 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Oh you probly grab another OG in Free agency and draft some guys to develop...

I never assume with this organization. 
Reply/Quote
I still want T.Turner or someone comparable (Gabe Jackson), plus a draft pick in the first 4 rounds. Is that an unreasonable expectation? I think we need to draft a Tackle and Guard in the first 4 rounds this year to go along with our FA moves (and this assumes another guard addition).
Reply/Quote
Blythe
Reiter
Turner

would like to sign one of these. Preferably 1 of the top two for more than 1 year
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 03:43 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Quintin Spain coming back on a 1 year deal. I’m glad about this. Not a long term answer, but we need him right now along with another guard.

Very good news. Agree, bring in one more Guard/Center and we are much better off than we were.

Both Spain and XSF were playing in a new scheme last year so I think with an entire Offseason under Pollack they should 
really improve. Not to mention adding some more guys in the Draft who are versatile.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 03:59 PM)Synric Wrote: This guy came in middle of the week then played that Sunday, played a game at RT, and flip flopped between LG and RG. I know people point to his PFF rating but talk about never getting a chance to settle in and build chemistry. I'm ecstatic to see the former Mountaineer back in stripes.

Well said. He was thrown into the fire and played well considering. Like he says, give him a full Offseason to really know what he
is about. He could end up being a fine Guard for us and earn an extension for all we know.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 04:11 PM)Sanforbd Wrote: I still want T.Turner or someone comparable (Gabe Jackson),

Fwiw, the Seahawks traded for Jackson a couple of days ago.  It cost them a 5th rounder in return.
Reply/Quote
Glad they brought back Spain, that was a solid move
Reply/Quote
Big Grin 
Glad he’s back. Definitely shouldn’t be done but he’s an important piece who will hopefully be starting/competing for one guard spot while another FA or draft pick take the other guard spot
Reply/Quote
Here are Spain's PFF ratings by year:

2020 - 56.7
2019 - 55.4
2018 - 67.7
2017 - 63.4
2016 - 84.2

His first year was obviously his best year. Not sure why his rating has dropped.

Nothing wrong with this signed for depth. There's nothing even wrong with him winning the job. Key word: Winning, meaning beating someone out for the job.

We need another at least one more (preferably 2 more) G/C in FA or the in the 2nd or 3rd round. And then let the best men win.

Don't just give this dude a job and pretend like one of your G spots is now fixed.
Reply/Quote
Give Spain and XFS a full gamut of OTA's, Training Camp, and pre-season under Pollack and I bet we are pretty happy with them. Not to say I don't want more guards signed, but now it is not an emergency. Get what we can get in the draft.
Reply/Quote
It's better than nothing. He was okay last year. Maybe a year later, especially with the off season program and training camp, he can be a replacement level guard.

I'd still like to see us draft Sewell/Slater or maybe a dedicated guard in the 2nd round and have Spain and XSF compete for one spot. Having Spain or XSF as your worst Olineman (once Hopkins comes back) isn't so bad.

Having both starting is definitely not ideal.
Reply/Quote
PFF is untrustworthy. Also, remember last year our genius OL brain trust brought him in with no practice and had him playing three different positions depending on the game. In fact in more than one game he lined up in multiple spots. For OL that is BAD news as they need to be in the same spot to gain cohesion.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 04:30 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Fwiw, the Seahawks traded for Jackson a couple of days ago.  It cost them a 5th rounder in return.

Hey, did either of the LA guards hit FA then? Maybe I have the wrong name. 
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 04:42 PM)Joelist Wrote: PFF is untrustworthy. Also, remember last year our genius OL brain trust brought him in with no practice and had him playing three different positions depending on the game. In fact in more than one game he lined up in multiple spots. For OL that is BAD news as they need to be in the same spot to gain cohesion.

No doubt.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 03:45 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Good for depth if not anything else.

^This. As a starter it would be very disappointing.. for a backup that would be a good move.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 03:51 PM)Joelist Wrote: Yup! Means the lineup is Jonah- XSF - Hopkins/Price - Spain - Reiff.

Good re-signing! Don't forget that there's a draft coming. This may tweak a bit.
Reply/Quote
Spain is no slouch. Here's a quote from an article from 2019:
Spain ranked 35th out of 77 qualified guards last season with a 62.3 overall grade and his best season thus far came back in 2016 when he earned an 84.2 overall grade across 821 offensive snaps. The four-year veteran has spent 99.4% of his career snaps at left guard.

Over the past three seasons, Spain ranks 23rd out of 86 guards who saw at least 1,000 offensive snaps over that stretch with a 72.9 overall grade, and his 97.3 pass-blocking efficiency ranks 39th
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 04:15 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Blythe
Reiter
Turner

would like to sign one of these.  Preferably 1 of the top two for more than 1 year

Or Larry Warford if he is in shape......
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 04:37 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Here are Spain's PFF ratings by year:

2020 - 56.7
2019 - 55.4
2018 - 67.7
2017 - 63.4
2016 - 84.2

His first year was obviously his best year.  Not sure why his rating has dropped.

Nothing wrong with this signed for depth.  There's nothing even wrong with him winning the job. Key word: Winning, meaning beating someone out for the job.

We need another at least one more (preferably 2 more) G/C in FA or the in the 2nd or 3rd round.  And then let the best men win.

Don't just give this dude a job and pretend like one of your G spots is now fixed.
Wes, we didnt sign Spain to be a back up.  Spain's your starter unless you want Jordan at guard.  

By signing both Reiff and Spain I personally think the Bengals are saying their drafting Chase or the TE out of Florida. 

I think the offensive weapons on the board and in this years free agency were too rich for the Bengals blood and they figured they'd go with inexpensive.  
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 04:41 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: It's better than nothing. He was okay last year. Maybe a year later, especially with the off season program and training camp, he can be a replacement level guard.

I'd still like to see us draft Sewell/Slater or maybe a dedicated guard in the 2nd round and have Spain and XSF compete for one spot. Having Spain or XSF as your worst Olineman (once Hopkins comes back) isn't so bad.

Having both starting is definitely not ideal.

I think you can say Slater and Sewell are netiher going to be draft by the Bengals IMO. 

I think they signed Spain so they can draft Pitts or Chase with the #5 pick. 

They havent spent anything on weapons for Burrow.  We have 2 dependable wide receivers currently.  

We have a running back that sucked last season and is coming off an injury.  Gio's getting old and needs cut and bring in a cheaper version of Gio.  

If they do anything I think they sign one more OL in free agency and let Pollack work his magic cause I truly think the organization thinks he's gonna turn this crappy line into an average line. 
Reply/Quote