Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaker Pelosi urges delay of State of the Union address
The response is always awful, and there is no way I would do it. I really don't watch the SOTU but I have watched quite a few responses the next day and it's hard to watch and hard to look away.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-23-2019, 10:07 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: But then he still has to deliver a SOTU in addition to that since it's a constitutional requirement.

It says from time to time.  Has that ever been decided that it means once a year?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Someone got to Trump and he kinda understands now:

And when I heard this read on the news I thought Jared wrote it...but DJT snuck a "great" in there because he CAN'T not describe everything he does without adding superlatives.

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c49bf2d2e6d6a5641e68195]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Very understanding of POTUS to acquiesce to the Speaker's whims
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(01-24-2019, 01:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Very understanding of POTUS to acquiesce to the Speaker's whims

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c49eca06f6866795516cd58]
(01-24-2019, 01:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Very understanding of POTUS to acquiesce to the Speaker's whims

What choice did he have? If he held the address elsewhere, the actual SOTU would be delivered in writing to Congress. So if Pelosi isn't going to call the joint session and re-invite him, then he either has to deliver it in writing or wait until he gets a new invitation.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(01-24-2019, 02:15 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: What choice did he have? If he held the address elsewhere, the actual SOTU would be delivered in writing to Congress. So if Pelosi isn't going to call the joint session and re-invite him, then he either has to deliver it in writing or wait until he gets a new invitation.

You asked what choice he had and then answered your own question in the same post. 

(01-24-2019, 06:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You asked what choice he had and then answered your own question in the same post. 

But he didn't have a choice when it came to acquiescing to the whims of the Speaker or not.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(01-24-2019, 06:17 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: But he didn't have a choice when it came to acquiescing to the whims of the Speaker or not.

Sure he did they've been discussed here. He could have provided the SOTU in writing and then had an "alternate event" from numerous locations throughout Washington. From what I've read he's cancelled any plans of alternate events. Although I'd expect we'll here something public from him on the 29th.

I find what he did tho be quite Presidential; of course he still has time to screw it up. 

(01-24-2019, 06:17 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: But he didn't have a choice when it came to acquiescing to the whims of the Speaker or not.

Matt, Trump supporters know he is too strong to cave on anything.  The final decision was simply his decision no matter what other options he said he had.

Geeze!

You make it sound like he was wrong with all the stuff he said he could and would do!

Mellow

Good job using the word "Understanding".  It is the correct term.  He understood that she was right.
Well...this is petty.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/30/us/politics/Victorina-Morales-trump-golf-club.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes

I mean that would be like inviting women that accused Bill Clinton of having sex with them (or ones he admitted having an affair with) to a presidential debate.

Mellow

I'd have brought Stormy Daniels.   Smirk
(01-31-2019, 10:23 AM)GMDino Wrote: I'd have brought Storm Daniels.   Smirk

Different Congressional district. Pelosi should get someone to do that, though. LOL

(01-31-2019, 10:25 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Different Congressional district. Pelosi should get someone to do that, though. LOL

It would be fun to count how many times the cameras went to her.  Even FOX would...but because of her chest not the politics.  Smirk
(01-23-2019, 10:38 PM)hollodero Wrote: But they are the head of the party, and the key figures in the matter at hand. Wouldn't it look weird to send someone less important out?

Hell you can trot out someone that's not even a member of Congress:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/stacey-abrams-democratic-sotu-response_us_5c50a100e4b0f43e410baae7

Quote:In an unusual move and a nod to the changing face of the Democratic party, former Georgia state Rep. Stacey Abrams will deliver the party’s response to the State of the Union address, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) told reporters Tuesday.

Beto must have turned them down.