Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaker Pelosi urges delay of State of the Union address
(01-23-2019, 08:26 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: At least he doesn't have to pay for his crowds to show up.

Mellow

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/01/donald-trump-campaign-announcement-actors-fec

Quote:A brief refresher: when Trump first announced that he was running for president in June of 2015, Trump’s campaign reportedly paid actors $50 apiece to cheer him on. Trump’s campaign manager at the time, Corey Lewandowski, denied that the campaign had hired warm bodies to boost the event’s audience, telling Business Insider, “You know Donald Trump. There is nobody who believes that when Donald Trump goes somewhere he does not generate the biggest, largest, and most rambunctious crowds on the planet. It’s just not true, unequivocally. The Donald Trump campaign and Donald Trump did not pay anybody to attend his announcement.”

The complaint to the Federal Election Commission was filed back in July 2015. In its complaint, the American Democracy Legal Fund claimed that by failing to disclose its alleged payment to the actors, Trump’s campaign had run afoul of the reporting provisions of the Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971.

On Thursday, the commission chose to close its case on the matter—but not because it found the Trump campaign totally innocent.

As the commission notes in a March report from its general counsel—which was made public Thursday—Donald J. Trump for President, Inc. did admit that it paid Gotham Government Relations $12,000 on October 8. Gotham, in turn, told the commission that it had hired a subcontractor called Extra Mile “to provide administrative support at Trump's announcement.” Trump’s campaign maintains that it has no affiliation with Extra Mile, and Extra Mile did not submit a response to the commission—so, it’s unclear whose idea it was to issue the alleged casting call for extra bodies at the June event. Still, even assuming Trump’s campaign never knowingly hired actors, the commission did note one other problem: the general counsel said it was “clear” that the Trump campaign had failed to pay Gotham for several months—and failed to report its payment for even longer.

“Thus,” it continued, “Gotham's apparent extension of credit to [Donald J. Trump for President, Inc.] for the services rendered at the June candidacy announcement may constitute an excessive or prohibited contribution, and [Donald J. Trump for President, Inc.] failed to report the amount it owed Gotham as a debt.” In the end, though, the F.E.C.’s general counsel advised that the commission let this incident slide, using its discretion to dismiss the complaint due to the “seemingly modest amount [of money] at issue.” Apparently, they’ve decided to do just that.

And, of course, in typical Trump fashion...he didn't pay for several months and then failed to report it (as required) for a longer period.  Then lied about it.

Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(01-23-2019, 08:20 PM)Benton Wrote: Probably a fundraiser. Apparently he/the gop have been capitalizing on the wall for a cash grab. The latest was for a $35 minimum donation you can get a brick with your name on it in the wall.

If he can sell bricks in a steel slat wall he's a better conman than even I gave him credit for. Or his supporters are dumber. Mellow
(01-23-2019, 08:20 PM)Benton Wrote: Probably a fundraiser. Apparently he/the gop have been capitalizing on the wall for a cash grab. The latest was for a $35 minimum donation you can get a brick with your name on it in the wall.

If he did make it a fundraiser then it couldn't be the SOTU. He cannot mix his executive responsibilities with campaign events. That's one of those things that isn't just a norm he likes to break, it's a law.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(01-23-2019, 09:52 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: If he did make it a fundraiser then it couldn't be the SOTU. He cannot mix his executive responsibilities with campaign events. That's one of those things that isn't just a norm he likes to break, it's a law.

Shhhhh!  Don't tell him!  Ninja
(01-23-2019, 09:52 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: If he did make it a fundraiser then it couldn't be the SOTU. He cannot mix his executive responsibilities with campaign events. That's one of those things that isn't just a norm he likes to break, it's a law.

Could be why he called it an alternate event.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-23-2019, 10:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Could be why he called it an alternate event.

But then he still has to deliver a SOTU in addition to that since it's a constitutional requirement.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(01-23-2019, 10:07 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: But then he still has to deliver a SOTU in addition to that since it's a constitutional requirement.

But as I understand it only to Congress. He could easily start off by saying I provided Congress the SOTU earlier today in writing as Nancy requested. So now....

(01-23-2019, 10:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: But as I understand it only to Congress. He could easily start off by saying I provided Congress the SOTU earlier today in writing as Nancy requested. So now....

Indeed. No one was disputing that.

(01-23-2019, 10:17 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Indeed. No one was disputing that.

I wonder if POTUS does do something if Pelosci will demand equal time. That worked out so well for her and the Dems last time.

[Image: 190108-chuck-shumer-nancy-pelosi-snip-ac...t-760w.jpg]

For entertainment value alone I hope they do

(01-23-2019, 10:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I wonder if POTUS does do something if Pelosci will demand equal time. That worked out so well for her and the Dems last time.

[Image: 190108-chuck-shumer-nancy-pelosi-snip-ac...t-760w.jpg]

For entertainment value alone I hope they do

They'd probably do a response like normal. If it's those two again, though, somebody just needs to hack the feed and turn it off.

(01-23-2019, 10:34 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: They'd probably do a response like normal. If it's those two again, though, somebody just needs to hack the feed and turn it off.

But they are the head of the party, and the key figures in the matter at hand. Wouldn't it look weird to send someone less important out?
(01-23-2019, 10:38 PM)hollodero Wrote: But they are the head of the party, and the key figures in the matter at hand. Wouldn't it look weird to send someone less important out?

Not really. They trotted out that dude with drool running out of his mouth after the last SOTU if I recall

(01-23-2019, 10:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Not really. They trotted out that dude  with drool running out of his mouth after the last SOTU if I recall

Yeah and it was weird.
(01-23-2019, 10:38 PM)hollodero Wrote: But they are the head of the party, and the key figures in the matter at hand. Wouldn't it look weird to send someone less important out?

(01-23-2019, 10:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Not really. They trotted out that dude with drool running out of his mouth after the last SOTU if I recall

(01-23-2019, 10:43 PM)hollodero Wrote: Yeah and it was weird.

It's almost never the head of the party. They play it up as this honor to do it, but in truth the officials that give the response usually take a hit to their political careers in some form.

(01-23-2019, 10:43 PM)hollodero Wrote: Yeah and it was weird.

I hope they pick A O-C simply for intertainment value. 

(01-23-2019, 10:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I hope they pick A O-C simply for intertainment value. 

I've been seeing some calls for that from some folks on social media. I wouldn't be surprised if her or Tlaib were chosen.

(01-23-2019, 10:49 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I've been seeing some calls for that from some folks on social media. I wouldn't be surprised if her or Tlaib were chosen.

I thought giving these responses is a career killer? But her career can't be over...  
(01-23-2019, 10:54 PM)hollodero Wrote: I thought giving these responses is a career killer? But her career can't be over...  

The Dems might do it just to kill her career. 

(01-23-2019, 10:54 PM)hollodero Wrote: I thought giving these responses is a career killer? But her career can't be over...  

I wouldn't say career killer, they just take a hit. Marco Rubio is an example. He was a laughing stock for a while after his water drinking incident. He's still not taken as seriously as some of his peers, but he has mostly recovered.