Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spotrac: Eifert Estimated Next Contract Avg $7.6 Mill
(03-08-2018, 11:19 PM)Synric Wrote: It's not about the entire contract or incentive based contract with Tyler Eifert. If he becomes injured he won't receive most of his money because he misses games.

The issue with Eifert is How much do you give him as a signing bonus?

Not much, maybe 2M?  Granted, he's awesome when he's available, but just how often is that?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2018, 11:51 PM)McC Wrote: For who?

Michael Johnson. Zims and the Vikings wanted him.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 12:04 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Michael Johnson. Zims and the Vikings wanted him.

Was that really a bidding war? Didn't the Vikes offer him more and it was MJ's choice to come back here; didn't he verbally commit to Marvin, but had already agreed to a visit to Minnesota beforehand.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2018, 11:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not much, maybe 2M?  Granted, he's awesome when he's available, but just how often is that?

According to the OP's link, Eifert games played 31.25%. They compare him with Kyle Rudolph at 75%, Coby Fleener at 100%, Charles Clay at 93.75%, and Zach Ertz at 96.88%.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 12:19 AM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Was that really a bidding war? Didn't the Vikes offer him more and it was MJ's choice to come back here; didn't he verbally commit to Marvin, but had already agreed to a visit to Minnesota beforehand.

I guess it depends on one's definition of a bidding war. Both Minny and Cincy wanted him and offered similar deals; Cincy won. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I can't make a good argument for paying him that kind of money when half the people in this country stay perpetually pissed off that the very same people who are charged with educating their children get the summer months off and still get paid and none of them are making anywhere near as much money.  How about telling him, 'Sure, take the summer off, but miss one more game and you're unemployed..and it ain't 7.6 million. "
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Why would anyone spend 7.6 Mil on a very often injured TE that has had how many back surgeries now? Now take into account the gaping holes on the OL, some of you would still rather sign this broken down TE vs. applying that money to what needs fixed on the team? You really shouldn’t knock MB if you advocate for this signing. Smh
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 01:44 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Why would anyone spend 7.6 Mil on a very often injured TE that has had how many back surgeries now? Now take into account the gaping holes on the OL, some of you would still rather sign this broken down TE vs. applying that money to what needs fixed on the team? You really shouldn’t knock MB if you advocate for this signing. Smh

because 1 year out of 5 he um almost played 14 games
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 01:44 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Why would anyone spend 7.6 Mil on a very often injured TE that has had how many back surgeries now? Now take into account the gaping holes on the OL, some of you would still rather sign this broken down TE vs. applying that money to what needs fixed on the team? You really shouldn’t knock MB if you advocate for this signing. Smh

Personally, I let Eifert go to a different team who is willing to take the risk and draft a TE to replace.

Even with low base pay and performance-based incentives, keeping Eifert would affect how/when the Bengals draft a TE.
The way I see it is if Eifert is kept, the Bengals don't draft a TE until Day 3 (or not at all) because they'll roll with Eifert, Kroft, Uzomah, and Hewitt.
And if Eifert gets hurt, you're stuck with Kroft, Uzomah, Hewitt, and probably Mason Schreck or some vet TE who is still available.

If they don't, it could mean the Bengals draft a TE on Day 2 and that should improve them at TE compared to last year guaranteed....unless that new TE also misses most/all of the season.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 01:48 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: because 1 year out of 5 he um almost played 14 games

Haha, no doubt.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 02:11 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Personally, I let Eifert go to a different team who is willing to take the risk and draft a TE to replace.

Even with low base pay and performance-based incentives, keeping Eifert would affect how/when the Bengals draft a TE.
The way I see it is if Eifert is kept, the Bengals don't draft a TE until Day 3 (or not at all) because they'll roll with Eifert, Kroft, Uzomah, and Hewitt.
And if Eifert gets hurt, you're stuck with Kroft, Uzomah, Hewitt, and probably Mason Schreck or some vet TE who is still available.

If they don't, it could mean the Bengals draft a TE on Day 2 and that should improve them at TE compared to last year guaranteed....unless that new TE also misses most/all of the season.

This would be the typical Bengals messed up signing. Giving huge bucks to a huge question mark vs. applying that same money to a solid player at a position of need, sounds about right.
Reply/Quote
We call it the Bengals luck... Eifert will go to Raiders and play a full season and break records...

Remember how injured Marvin Jones was with us? Not close to Eifert obviously but he was hurt and out quite a bit.
Reply/Quote
Players who have multiple back surgeries don't go on to become 16 game superstars. I think he'll be lucky to make it through next season. Great player, but his body just can't take the beating.

He's another one of those "what could of been" players.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 10:14 PM)GodFather Wrote: We call it the Bengals luck... Eifert will go to Raiders and play a full season and break records...

Remember how injured Marvin Jones was with us? Not close to Eifert obviously but he was hurt and out quite a bit.
Except we are comparing a WR to a TE here.  A TE has to be tougher to line up on the O Line.  Right now as I type this, Eifert is injured. That is just a fact.  He was injured in 2016. He was injured in 2017. He is injured in 2018. According to Bengals, he is still very injured.  Hey, I took him in Fantasy Football after the early draft rounds hoping he would have all this UP SIDE we keep talking about.  I had to cut him early on. Would I draft him in 2018, no way. Should Bengals pay him all this money, no way.  Let him go free agent and with him still injured he may still be out there to sign at a cheaper contract going into April.  If some team offers him the mega bucks, good for Eifert still injured as we start Free Agency. If some team wants to pay huge bucks to Eifert still injured, let them do it.  He isn't a WR, he is a TE, a very injured TE, not a good thing.  As for Free Agency, I hope the Bengals don't sign Eifert or anybody the first week. NFL experts are even saying to let the wild spending happen this week, and Smart Teams will wait for good players at a fair price after the first week. I'm hoping Bengals don't sign anybody week one of Free Agency. After that, we can use some help. It could be nobody goes after Eifert week one. Here's an ex Bengal that might be out there after week one, Rex Burkhead. NFL experts on ESPN, NFL Network, NBC Sports are saying the Smart Teams will jump into the Free Agent water after the big spending first week. Let teams go after Drew Brees and such and let that first week and weekend go by before Bengals start signing free agents the next weeks. Eifert as injured as he is, he may still be sitting out there at a fair market price. If not, there are other starting TE's in this draft. I would like to see our O Line get much better, and you got to question Eifert as a blocker on the O Line now. The man is still injured going into first Free Agent Week of off season.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 11:03 AM)ochocincos Wrote: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/tyler-eifert-12301/market-value/

I think if the Bengals really do think he can stay healthy and want him to continue being the #2 option in the offense, they might be willing to offer around $7.6 mill a year.
However, I think they try to either give a lower contract (like $5 mill a year base) with added performance-based bonuses in case he can't stay healthy.

6-8 is his range. The Bengals will offer him 5 million.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 11:03 AM)ochocincos Wrote: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/tyler-eifert-12301/market-value/

I think if the Bengals really do think he can stay healthy and want him to continue being the #2 option in the offense, they might be willing to offer around $7.6 mill a year.
However, I think they try to either give a lower contract (like $5 mill a year base) with added performance-based bonuses in case he can't stay healthy.

How does that work, in regard to how it affects money available for the team to spend?  Do they only have to set aside the amount of the base, or do they have to reserve whatever the potential max value of the contract is?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 11:06 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: How does that work, in regard to how it affects money available for the team to spend?  Do they only have to set aside the amount of the base, or do they have to reserve whatever the potential max value of the contract is?

I believe (please someone correct me if I’m wrong) that they have to reserve the whole amount for the current year but if the performance/durability requirements aren’t hit, that money is freed up to roll over to the next year because it’s not used.

Example: $5 mill base with $3 mill incentive per year. $8 mill must be reserved for the cap this year but up to $3 mill can be rolled over to next year if metrics not met.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 10:14 PM)GodFather Wrote: We call it the Bengals luck... Eifert will go to Raiders and play a full season and break records...

No he won't.  This is just your Bengals disdain talking. 

In fact, I'm wondering if maybe Gruden hasn't lost his touch.  The first person he hires is Paulie G and the first FA he wants to go after has never played a full season or even half the games in his career.  Doesn't exactly scream genius to me.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Id usually say don't use your cap on an oft injured guy but then again its not like wed use the cap not spend on Eifert to sign anyone whose gonna make a difference so I don't really see a reason NOT to resign him.

Whats our excuse gonna be when we let him and Dunlap walk AND don't sign anyone to replace them?
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 12:41 PM)Housh Wrote: Id usually say don't use your cap on an oft injured guy but then again its not like wed use the cap not spend on Eifert to sign anyone whose gonna make a difference so I don't really see a reason NOT to resign him.

Whats our excuse gonna be when we let him and Dunlap walk AND don't sign anyone to replace them?

Well its not like they're going to use that cap and spend big on a guy like Norwell. Another losing season and I cant see both Dunlap and Atkins being reserved to staying here and playing for another losing Bengals franchise, when they can try and get on a team that's actually poised to win a title. I know if i were Carlos and Geno, id take my talents elsewhere and try and get a ring with the few years I have left, because theyll never get one here.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote