Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stop underestimating our receivers
I see a lot of people out here worried about Jon Ross and his injury and how it could effect the receiving corps. In my opinion, I didn't count on Ross to be a huge contributor this year. Maybe on some gadget plays and other ways to take advantage of his speed, but not as a straight up receiver.

The point is, is that I feel like a lot of guys on this roster are undervalued. Brandon Lafell had a GOOD year last year and hes more than capable of being a really good number 2 receiver. Tyler Boyd is only going to be better than last year and I expect him to have some what of a break out year. Eiffert is one of the best tight ends in the league and we all know what AJ is capable of.

This team has other weapons without Jon Ross. He is a complete luxury at this point and the season isn't going to fall apart because hes hurt.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 10:02 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I see a lot of people out here worried about Jon Ross and his injury and how it could effect the receiving corps. In my opinion, I didn't count on Ross to be a huge contributor this year. Maybe on some gadget plays and other ways to take advantage of his speed, but not as a straight up receiver.

The point is, is that I feel like a lot of guys on this roster are undervalued. Brandon Lafell had a GOOD year last year and hes more than capable of being a really good number 2 receiver. Tyler Boyd is only going to be better than last year and I expect him to have some what of a break out year. Eiffert is one of the best tight ends in the league and we all know what AJ is capable of.

This team has other weapons without Jon Ross. He is a complete luxury at this point and the season isn't going to fall apart because hes hurt.

Well said. ThumbsUp
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
LaFell is an underrated receiver too. He's a great route runner and he's good at blocking. Our receiving core is fine without Ross. It will be even better when he's healthy.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 10:02 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I see a lot of people out here worried about Jon Ross and his injury and how it could effect the receiving corps. In my opinion, I didn't count on Ross to be a huge contributor this year. Maybe on some gadget plays and other ways to take advantage of his speed, but not as a straight up receiver.

Why would a team, who is allegedly competing for a playoff spot, draft (For the 3rd time in 4 years) a 1st round player they didnt expect to produce much in his rookie year 

Lol 
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 10:06 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: LaFell is an underrated receiver too. He's a great route runner and he's good at blocking. Our receiving core is fine without Ross. It will be even better when he's healthy.

Lafell is one of the most underrated players in the league in my opinion. People dont realize how good he was for us when AJ went down last year. Another training camp with Dalton throwing to him and I expect him to be even better as a WR 2. 
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 10:07 AM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Why would a team, who is allegedly competing for a playoff spot, draft (For the 3rd time in 4 years) a 1st round player they didnt expect to produce much in his rookie year 

Lol 

Why did they draft a kicker in the 4th round that they ended up cutting? 
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 10:07 AM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Why would a team, who is allegedly competing for a playoff spot, draft (For the 3rd time in 4 years) a 1st round player they didnt expect to produce much in his rookie year 

Lol 

Because the Bengals think they have a good enough roster to compete the upcoming year and therefore invest their first rounders for the future season(s).
I thought this was pretty obvious by now.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 10:25 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Because the Bengals think they have a good enough roster to compete the upcoming year and therefore invest their first rounders for the future season(s).
I thought this was pretty obvious by now.

How would a team be so delusional?

Even the best teams in the league draft for now.
Reply/Quote

Correct. The problem was not lack of weapons. It's been lack of healthy weapons. The Bengals need 2+ legitimate threats on the field at all times to be a contender.

When Green, Gio, and Eifert were out, there weren't enough legitimate threats and that's why the offense really struggled.
LaFell and Boyd are solid players, but the offense cannot be dynamic when those are your top two threats.

The Bengals do not NEED Ross right now. They should be fine with Green, Eifert, LaFell, Gio, and Mixon.
If a couple of those players go down, that's where it'd be good to have Ross available.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 10:26 AM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: How would a team be so delusional?

Very good question. You're asking the wrong person lol

Best answer I can give is that these coaches and the FO are very confident in their previously drafted talent.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 10:14 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Why did they draft a kicker in the 4th round that they ended up cutting? 

5th round, and I wanted Roderick Johnson or Asiatta. 

But yes, it is scary how incompetent this team is 
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 10:31 AM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: 5th round, and I wanted Roderick Johnson or Asiatta. 

But yes, it is scary how incompetent this team is 

How do you sleep at night?
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 10:28 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Correct. The problem was not lack of weapons. It's been lack of healthy weapons. The Bengals need 2+ legitimate threats on the field at all times to be a contender.

When Green, Gio, and Eifert were out, there weren't enough legitimate threats and that's why the offense really struggled.
LaFell and Boyd are solid players, but the offense cannot be dynamic when those are your top two threats.

The Bengals do not NEED Ross right now. They should be fine with Green, Eifert, LaFell, Gio, and Mixon.
If a couple of those players go down, that's where it'd be good to have Ross available.

Completely agree. 
Reply/Quote
Some people make it sound as if Ross came in with 2 broken legs and a ruptured spleen and will be in traction the rest of the season. He's a rookie with a sprain.. He may have been a bit of a reach at #1, but most players are injuries or not..Not every high draft pick is going to be a once in a generation player. I think some folks get their panties in a knot over draft position when no matter what how they arrive in the league they're all playing the same game. It's football, not football for high draft picks and another game for low picks and still another for undrafted players..I'm still holding out high hopes for Malone..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 10:26 AM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: How would a team be so delusional?

They do everything for the future. We have to keep cap space so we can sign guys that are free agents in 1, 2, and 3 years. (The fallacy in this is the cap keeps rising each year by a considerable amount.)

They draft to replace guys that are free agents in the future...not to improve positions of immediate need.

Ross was drafted because AJ Green is 29 and Lafell is 30. Greens game is heavily built on athleticism and jumping and he's got maybe 3 more elite seasons left. By that time, Ross would hopefully be the star WR.

Plus, speed sells tickets. Fans like that fast WR and flashy RB. Drafting LB's and Centers isn't the sexy pick.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 11:03 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They do everything for the future. We have to keep cap space so we can sign guys that are free agents in 1, 2, and 3 years. (The fallacy in this is the cap keeps rising each year by a considerable amount.)

They draft to replace guys that are free agents in the future...not to improve positions of immediate need.

Ross was drafted because AJ Green is 29 and Lafell is 30. Greens game is heavily built on athleticism and jumping and he's got maybe 3 more elite seasons left. By that time, Ross would hopefully be the star WR.

Plus, speed sells tickets. Fans like that fast WR and flashy RB. Drafting LB's and Centers isn't the sexy pick.

Unless you're Cleveland in which case the draft is their super bowl every year..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 11:03 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They do everything for the future. We have to keep cap space so we can sign guys that are free agents in 1, 2, and 3 years. (The fallacy in this is the cap keeps rising each year by a considerable amount.)

Winning sells more tickets.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

No one bought more tickets this year because Jon Ross was on the team. Give me a break man. 
Reply/Quote

Well i agree with most of what you are saying Weezy even though i am a huge John Ross fan.

Lafell, Boyd and Core should be much better with a year in the system as well.

Not to mention AJ and Eifert getting the attention.

The run game should also help out as it has looked pretty good and we have the addition of Mixon to help take pressure off of Dalton.
Reply/Quote
John Ross will be a stud for many years to come.
Reply/Quote