Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
Super Bowl LVI Halftime Show Stinks
(02-06-2022, 09:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't have to like that garbage any more than my kids have to like Seether, Operation Ivy, or John Mellencamp.

Live and let live. Don't get offended every time people don't like something. If you want to look for something good in it, good for you. That's your prerogative.

For me, it's not about getting old. Even when I was 20, I had no respect for "artists" that don't write their own music, and just have a good voice with a pretty face. Or can dance really well.

To me, that's "entertainment". I prefer musicians. Song writers.

I wasn't offended, but yeah, that was a bit more condescending than I intended.

And I get the whole "songwriter" thing, I play bass and mess around on the guitar. I just think that, going in, too many people are missing out on a potential entertaining show because they're focusing on the listening aspect instead of the visual(K Perry, L Gaga). I think if these veteran performers know that they are going to be seen by the biggest audience of their careers . . . they are probably going to pull off something very cool.

Expect more of the same for quite awhile. Jay-Z's production company co-produced the last 8-10 or so
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 11:32 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Pretty much where I was pre-show. I expected him to be good because he was a quality live act for decades . . . but not that good. He killed it. I put Purple Rain in our local radio station's playlist strictly because of that performance.

It was absolutely amazing to me.  Became a much bigger fan of more of his music.  Sad irony in the Rock and Roll HOF vid.  If you watch it all the way through, he and Petty were having a ball.  And Fentanyl took them both. 
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I just hope Snopp does Plizzanet Earth:

[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 05:56 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: In the style of comedian Red Buttons who used the “...never got a dinner...” line, I present the following:

Elvis Presley never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

The Beatles never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Donna Summer never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Stevie Wonder never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

The Bee Gees never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Blondie never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Rush never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Chicago never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Kansas never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Asia never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Earth Wind and Fire never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Journey never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Foreigner never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

The Fifth Dimension never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Neil Sedaka never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

And, worst of all,

Frank Sinatra never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

I know Stevie Wonder played a halftime show with Gloria Estafan.  Don't know what year, but they were both old.

I was a huge fan of both those acts.  If they had played together in the late 80's my head would have melted.  I saw Stevie live but never Gloria.  A friend of mine got a degree in music from University of Miami in the mid 80's.  He was good friends with Mike Scaglione who was the sax player for Miami Sound Machine.  I saw Scags play in another band full of UM guys I never heard of and they were blistering hot.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 05:56 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: In the style of comedian Red Buttons who used the “...never got a dinner...” line, I present the following:

Elvis Presley never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

The Beatles never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Donna Summer never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Stevie Wonder never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

The Bee Gees never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Blondie never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Rush never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Chicago never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Kansas never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Asia never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Earth Wind and Fire never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Journey never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Foreigner never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

The Fifth Dimension never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Neil Sedaka never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

And, worst of all,

Frank Sinatra never got a Super Bowl halftime show.
Sounds like Red Buttons was not very funny
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
They are in California. Metallica comes to mind as a fun half time show. They are somewhat around Dre's age.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 11:53 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I wasn't offended, but yeah, that was a bit more condescending than I intended.

And I get the whole "songwriter" thing, I play bass and mess around on the guitar. I just think that, going in, too many people are missing out on a potential entertaining show because they're focusing on the listening aspect instead of the visual(K Perry, L Gaga). I think if these veteran performers know that they are going to be seen by the biggest audience of their careers . . . they are probably going to pull off something very cool.

Expect more of the same for quite awhile. Jay-Z's production company co-produced the last 8-10 or so

I guess if you're just looking at it as entertainment, some (key word) might get some value out of it. Some people (myself, certainly) have trouble seeing past the musical aspect (or just don't want to).

If that's anyone's bag, more power to you. As a song writer (my music has actually been on WEBN - which is something I rarely mention), and just a fan of real music, I realize I'm probably a lot more picky than the average person.

I don't mean for that to sound smug or anything. We all have different passions, and mine is music.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I REALLY like the band Nsync. Especially Harpo.
I do not know if there is one by that name but there should be.
Reply/Quote
Personally, I LOVE this halftime show!

I think they're going to bring excitement back to it, even in their 50s!

I think they're going to have emotion in what they're doing, and that's what everyone wants: emotion and energy.

The bands and the singers have been lame. When is the last Super Bowl halftime show that you just saw the artists coming out, getting everyone smiling and excited, and just moving?

That's what I think this show will bring: excitement and energy.

I LOVE IT!
Reply/Quote
It was fun to read through the replies on this thread. To me, it's so monumental that the Bengals are in the Super Bowl that they could cut away to a bingo game at a nursing home and I wouldn't care.

Usually, the halftime shows are kind of generic regardless of the performer. It's interesting that people thought both Madonna's and Lady Gaga's shows were like satanic rites. Nobody mentioned the Who because their show was really underwhelming. Yes, Prince did a great show. They had to shield him from the rain so he wouldn't fritz out while playing his guitar. The only thing that stands out to me about the "big name" shows was when Bruce Springsteen was on, and after he did his predictably corny "Born in the USA," he had a referee come on the stage and kick him off good-naturedly.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2022, 11:34 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: The Bengals are finally in a Super Bowl and the halftime show looks bad. I hate rap and will not be watching it. We need a better group.

This will be rap for the masses, it should be appealing.  Kinda like when rap peaked in the late 80s, early 90s.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2022, 02:08 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Personally, I LOVE this halftime show!

I think they're going to bring excitement back to it, even in their 50s!

I think they're going to have emotion in what they're doing, and that's what everyone wants: emotion and energy.

The bands and the singers have been lame. When is the last Super Bowl halftime show that you just saw the artists coming out, getting everyone smiling and excited, and just moving?

That's what I think this show will bring: excitement and energy.

I LOVE IT!

Hell yes! I think it's going to be a fun halftime show for a change.

[Image: 9hKB.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2022, 08:34 AM)WiregrassBenGal Wrote: It was fun to read through the replies on this thread. To me, it's so monumental that the Bengals are in the Super Bowl that they could cut away to a bingo game at a nursing home and I wouldn't care.

Usually, the halftime shows are kind of generic regardless of the performer. It's interesting that people thought both Madonna's and Lady Gaga's shows were like satanic rites. Nobody mentioned the Who because their show was really underwhelming. Yes, Prince did a great show. They had to shield him from the rain so he wouldn't fritz out while playing his guitar. The only thing that stands out to me about the "big name" shows was when Bruce Springsteen was on, and after he did his predictably corny "Born in the USA," he had a referee come on the stage and kick him off good-naturedly.

GTFO.

Not only did I mention them (they ARE my favourite band, think I've said that 3 times ITT), but there has NEVER been an underwhelming Who show. Pete was 64, Rog' 65 and they can't move like they used to. Even without the jumping and mic-swinging however, their talent has always been in their musical chops; Pete still does things with a guitar that nobody can ever conceptually or physically do (well, maybe a bit hyperbolic on the physical part) and their music (on a written and difficulty level) is among the very top in modern music history. I mean, Pete started writing Tommy in his early 20s and Quadrophenia in his mid-20s, then Lifehouse, which was SO DAMN ADVANCED in 1970, that they couldn't do anything as the concept was way too-advanced for any of the current producers (in music and film, as it was to be a film) and some of the musical equipment needed didn't even exist.

Hell, the entire concept of Lifehouse is miles ahead of what anyone was writing about in 1970 (MAYBE some of the prog. rockers wrote about conceptual stuff on that level) and a lot of it has actually come true, which makes it even more genius (essentially, everyone is attached to a, "grid," of sorts {the Internet} and pollution has gotten bad-enough that there are severe restrictions on manufacturing and production {well, well...) and society has collapsed, socially, quite a bit).

It's not that whatever they do is perfection and untouchable, but to say a Who show is underwhelming? You didn't like/appreciate it, period. Again, I don't like Prince's music at all (find a ton of it INCREDIBLY-grating and annoying, actually), but I was enthralled with his show, because I could appreciate his talent, energy and the concept of everything.

TL;dr: The Who is cool beans and their show wasn't underwhelming in the slightest; you just don't like it.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2022, 12:43 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Sounds like Red Buttons was not very funny

HA, that was the first thing I thought, the old Red Buttons Bit.   

Lady Guu Guu, who should have been as big as Lady Ga Ga, Never Got A Dinner...or a halftime show. 

The old Never Got A Diner that people can watch on internet in Celebrity Roasts with Red Buttons, with Henie Youngman Take My Wife Please.  I take my wife everywhere, but she keeps finding her way home. 

Mister T, who has drank Ice Tea, never got a dinner or a halftime show. 

Dean Martin, who said he got Rolled Stoned a few times, never got a halftime show...BUT he did get a lot of dinners. 

Alvin and The Chipmunks, who were too busy hiding their nuts for winter, never got a dinner or a halftime show. 

Anyway Bfine32, you were on it. The first thing I thought of on the long list of bands who never got a Half Time Show was the old Red Buttons act that you mentioned. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2022, 10:44 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: GTFO.

Not only did I mention them (they ARE my favourite band, think I've said that 3 times ITT), but there has NEVER been an underwhelming Who show. Pete was 64, Rog' 65 and they can't move like they used to. Even without the jumping and mic-swinging however, their talent has always been in their musical chops; Pete still does things with a guitar that nobody can ever conceptually or physically do (well, maybe a bit hyperbolic on the physical part) and their music (on a written and difficulty level) is among the very top in modern music history. I mean, Pete started writing Tommy in his early 20s and Quadrophenia in his mid-20s, then Lifehouse, which was SO DAMN ADVANCED in 1970, that they couldn't do anything as the concept was way too-advanced for any of the current producers (in music and film, as it was to be a film) and some of the musical equipment needed didn't even exist.

Hell, the entire concept of Lifehouse is miles ahead of what anyone was writing about in 1970 (MAYBE some of the prog. rockers wrote about conceptual stuff on that level) and a lot of it has actually come true, which makes it even more genius (essentially, everyone is attached to a, "grid," of sorts {the Internet} and pollution has gotten bad-enough that there are severe restrictions on manufacturing and production {well, well...) and society has collapsed, socially, quite a bit).

It's not that whatever they do is perfection and untouchable, but to say a Who show is underwhelming? You didn't like/appreciate it, period. Again, I don't like Prince's music at all (find a ton of it INCREDIBLY-grating and annoying, actually), but I was enthralled with his show, because I could appreciate his talent, energy and the concept of everything.

TL;dr: The Who is cool beans and their show wasn't underwhelming in the slightest; you just don't like it.

There is some passion in this post.

[Image: The-Who-gif-music-37201198-500-401.gif]
Reply/Quote
Lono Veccio (Dennis Leary): "They cut your f**kin' finger off? F**kin' sick f**ks, it's all this f**kin' rap shit isn't it?"

~~ Suicide Kings (1998)
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Just as 1981 and 1988 seasons, seeing Our Bengals in the Insanity that is Super Bowl Party Weekend is GREAT. People who NEVER watch football will be watching the commercials, halftime and having SUPER BOWL PARTIES. They will think the only 2 football teams in the world are The Rams and The Bengals, because many NEVER watch football. So it is GREAT that Bengals are on THE MAIN STAGE.

That said, I will NOT watch the Halftime Show. I will be too nervous. If Bengals are behind, I will be thinking how Bengals must come out and score. If Bengals are ahead, I will be thinking how they need to keep the lead. I have seen Bengals lose 2 Super Bowls. I will be nervous at Halftime and thinking how to start the 2nd Half. BENGALS will be the ONLY thing on my mind. THIS is not just ANY Super Bowl. THIS is BENGALS, and I know my entire focus will be on what Bengals do in the upcoming 2nd Half. So I will mute the sound and Think BENGALS until they retake The Field. I know I will be nervous all through this. However great JOY if Bengals get handed their First Ever Super Bowl Trophy. THAT is when I WILL be in Song and Dance singing WHO DEY. I may be close to calling 911 by that time, this game is going to stress me out. I will enjoy it more later if we have Bengals Super Bowl WIN Replay to watch forever more.

I will have No Super Bowl Meal to put me to sleep, no booze or wacky tobacco. No Party. I will be Home, not a bar, because I actually want to watch and hear this game. I'm 67 so I will sleep late and rest so I'm wide awake. Since I will be glued to the First Half, Halftime means going to the toilet and anything needed so that I can watch every second of the Second Half and maybe Overtime. I am too BENGALS since 1968 to go to a Party and hear the betting pools, Fans rooting for Rams, and women saying they have crock pot meatballs and taco salad to make a plate, NO. I will be way too INTENSE and STRESSED with Our Bengals minutes away from maybe being NFL CHAMPIONS. When it is Over, and BENGALS WIN, I will collapse in JOY as I watch the Trophy Ceremony. The Bengals getting The Trophy is THE ONLY show I want to see, The POST GAME VICTORY SHOW.....There will be other times to eat, other times to hear music, but BENGALS with a chance TO WIN SUPER BOWL is very rare, and my only Focus. I know I will mute and skip halftime as any normal Bengal Game, as I go to bathroom and such to be ready for 2nd Half of BENGALS WHO DEY.

The Super Bowl Halftime goes Longer than a normal NFL Game. That is good. Bengals Coaches make good Halftime Adjustments, a good 2nd Half Team, So go ahead and give Bengals Coaches a longer Halftime to adapt and adjust and WIN THIS GAME. I hope Bengals get 2nd Half Kick-Off. Let Rams get ball to start game, but let Bengals start the 2nd Half. THAT gives Bengals Defense a good long rest with Halftime and Bengals Offense starting 2nd Half.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2022, 11:11 AM)kevin Wrote: That said, I will NOT watch the Halftime Show.  I will be too nervous. 

I'm watching the halftime show, but you concisely sum up my feelings. I'm going to be nervous regardless of the game's score and whatever the halftime score ends up being. I don't think I'll be in a relaxed state to chuckle or roll my eyes at Super Bowl commercials, enjoy Dre, Eminem, & Snoop, or take it easy and casually enjoy the game. My nerves are going to be off the charts because I desperately want a Bengals victory.
Reply/Quote
I never cared for ANY of the Super Bowl halftime shows. I'm only watching it if features Weird Al or Jackie Chan. Seriously.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2022, 10:24 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Hell yes! I think it's going to be a fun halftime show for a change.

[Image: 9hKB.gif]

That's the first image I had in my head when I saw Eminem and Dre!

I wonder how far they're going to take it back and if we'll hear songs like "Nuthin' But A G Thang" and "Still Dre"! I know they'll most likely flip between a bunch of songs but I don't know how far they'll go back.

THIS IS GOING TO BE HUGE!
Reply/Quote