Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
Super Bowl LVI Halftime Show Stinks
(02-06-2022, 05:56 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: In the style of comedian Red Buttons who used the “...never got a dinner...” line, I present the following:

Elvis Presley never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

The Beatles never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Donna Summer never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Stevie Wonder never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

The Bee Gees never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Blondie never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Rush never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Chicago never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Kansas never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Asia never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Earth Wind and Fire never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Journey never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Foreigner never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

The Fifth Dimension never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Neil Sedaka never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

And, worst of all,

Frank Sinatra never got a Super Bowl halftime show.
One fourth of the Beatles (Paul McCartney) did the 2005 half time show.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2022, 11:34 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: The Bengals are finally in a Super Bowl and the halftime show looks bad. I hate rap and will not be watching it. We need a better group.

(02-05-2022, 11:38 PM)Science Friction Wrote: When is the last time it didn't stink ? Just awful. I wish they would just do away with that nonsense at halftime.

PREACH!

Amen
Reply/Quote
Looks like a good lineup to me. Not my favorite but seems fine.

I don't normally care much about the halftime show though.

I'm surprised I'm saying this but I thought lady Gaga was good.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 06:12 PM)motoarch Wrote: Looks like a good lineup to me. Not my favorite but seems fine.

I don't normally care much about the halftime show though.

I'm surprised I'm saying this but I thought lady Gaga was good.

I got my wife LG tix for her bday. Isn't a huge fan, but a fan enough to see her. She brought me along.

LG the person, I have no issues with; she's Italian, she's a winner in life and she actually is a talented musician. Her music, couldn't give 2 ***** about, despite knowing a good dozen of her songs by heart, with how much I've heard them in my life.

HOLY SHIT WAS IT A **GREAT** SHOW! Again, don't care for the music, but she knows how to engage an audience and make it enjoyable for all.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
You guys are crazy.
I still watch the Janet Jackson -Justin Timberlake Halftime show every day. Tongue

Every year I am hoping for a repeat performance from the female artists.  Wink

[Image: work.jpg]  :popcorn:
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 05:56 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: In the style of comedian Red Buttons who used the “...never got a dinner...” line, I present the following:

Elvis Presley never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

The Beatles never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Donna Summer never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Stevie Wonder never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

The Bee Gees never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Blondie never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Rush never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Chicago never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Kansas never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Asia never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Earth Wind and Fire never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Journey never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Foreigner never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

The Fifth Dimension never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Neil Sedaka never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

And, worst of all,

Frank Sinatra never got a Super Bowl halftime show.

Sorry to be pedantic, but you've lined them up perfectly! lol, now then...

Elvis Presley probably should have, indeed.

McCartney played in 2007 (IIRC, maybe '06).

Donna Summer not a big-enough draw.

Stevie Wonder performed in 1999.

Bee Gees are another that should've gotten one (can't stand them, just awful music, even if their singing chops are phenomenal).

Blondie sucks and not a big-enough draw at all.

Rush would've been awesome, but not even close to being a good-enough draw.

Chicago would've been a good choice, with the size of their ensemble and performance style.

Kansas is a two-hit wonder and are unknown outside of NA. Bad choice. Not even a really good band either.

Asia is a supergroup and they don't make for good shows. Not to mention, can anyone on here name a single Asia song?

Earth Wind and Fire are another that make sense, but also probably not a big-enough draw.

Journey are one of the worst musical acts in Rock, their frontman is a loser and they are also a two-hit wonder.

Foreigner aren't a big-enough draw.

The Fifth Dimension are REALLY not a big-enough draw lol.

Neil Sedaka? lol.

Frank Sinatra would've been an EXCELLENT choice.

Some good ones in there, but you can't just put your favourite bands and say it's a disappointment; the artist has to be a big-enough name and a big-enough draw, not to mention has to appeal to a ton of people worldwide, as it is the biggest spectacle to those who don't watch the game (of which there are tens of millions). Neil Sedaka? LOL
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 12:40 AM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Thank goodness it isn't another show with over-the-hill classic rock outfits skulking around the stage with music that stopped being relevant 30+ years ago.

Eh, Dre is 56 and Snoop is 50.  Kinda swapping over the hill rock bands for over the hill rappers.  
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 06:49 PM)Whatever Wrote: Eh, Dre is 56 and Snoop is 50.  Kinda swapping over the hill rock bands for over the hill rappers.  

True.

I suppose this is a "50 beats 80" scenario.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 12:40 AM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Thank goodness it isn't another show with over-the-hill classic rock outfits skulking around the stage with music that stopped being relevant 30+ years ago.

When they do "ain't nothing but a g thing and black Willie Nelson snoop dogg comes out in a surprise cameo, that place is gonna go nuts.

But you realize dre and em are old as shit tho right?
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 06:30 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: You guys are crazy.
I still watch the Janet Jackson -Justin Timberlake Halftime show every day. Tongue

Every year I am hoping for a repeat performance from the female artists.  Wink

[Image: work.jpg]  :popcorn:

Guess Ive never have seen any halftime shows after reviewing the list. I'm all about the football and actually do watch the commercials during SB game unlike normal games which means Ive got things to do at halftime lol. 

But have to admit I was googling this halftime show immediately after hearing of the wardrobe malfunction and it was not hard to notice that there was a "new sheriff in town" when it comes to the SB shows. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
This is the best halftime show lineup in a long time imo. I don't really pay attention to the halftime shows anyways. That's te time to get drinks, food, ect...
Reply/Quote
Actual music has been dead for quite some time now. At least as far as the mainstream is concerned. I was into rap as a teen and early 20 something, but after awhile you grow out of the need to listen to dudes rhyme about gangs, drugs and hoes to feel like you're some kind of hard ass.

Gotta admit it's kinda funny seeing Em still going at 50 when he wad ragging on Moby for being 36 a couple decades ago. Mellow

The halftime show itself has been exposed as a farce a multitude of times. Artists admitting to lip syncing. RHCP not even plugging in their instruments. You're literally just watching people dance around to a pre-recorded track.

I'll mute it and use the time to reload snacks, etc.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 12:26 PM)grampahol Wrote: Halftime show is irrelevant to me. They could trot out some old mangy mutt to take a dump and it would be just as entertaining since I don't watch it anyway.. I can't think of a single halftime show I've ever seen that made me feel like, Wow, I wanna see that again..To the contrary..every single time I've always been (without fail) C'mon.. Get it over with and get back to the game.. Smirk And just because...I freakin hate commercials so don't get me started on that shitshow..  Hilarious

I'm with you.  Even with Petty, Paul and Bruce, it was enough already, get back to the f****n' game.

Now all you young punks, GET OFF MY LAWN.
Reply/Quote
Jesus.

A lot of this thread reminds me of every time that I walk into our local AmVets. I'm 54 and I'm usually the youngest guy in there by at least a decade. We are no longer in society's target demographic and some don't know how to adapt or adjust to a changing and evolving world that no longer focuses on them.

I'm a Thrash Metal fan that loves Rock and had absolutely zero interest in watching Bruno Mars . . . That dude kicked all kinds of ass. I remember thinking "Somewhere, Sammy Davis Jr is looking down and smiling right now. Well done, sir." as I surprisingly applauded at the end of his set. Katy Perry put on one hell of a show(talk about hoping for another wardrobe malfunction), Lady Gaga was very entertaining and the rest that weren't my cup of tea, I watched for about half of a song and then found something else to do. They've already released the setlist on wikipedia so I'll probably skip most of it. I wouldn't click on this link if you want to enjoy each song as they move onto each one. I hate knowing a setlist before I see a show. It's almost like knowing the final score of a game before you get to your DVR.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Bowl_halftime_shows

One of my favorite guilty pleasures, Al Hirt, played the first halftime show and also the 4th, the 6th and 12th Super Bowls making him the only artist to be in 4 Halftime Shows. Surprisingly, he never played his most memorable hit, Java. It's almost impossible to be in a bad mood while listening to this . . .

Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
I will be busy helping Lou with half-time adjustments.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 09:18 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Jesus.

A lot of this thread reminds me of every time that I walk into our local AmVets. I'm 54 and I'm usually the youngest guy in there by at least a decade. We are no longer in society's target demographic and some don't know how to adapt or adjust to a changing and evolving world that no longer focuses on them.

I'm a Thrash Metal fan that loves Rock and had absolutely zero interest in watching Bruno Mars . . . That dude kicked all kinds of ass. I remember thinking "Somewhere, Sammy Davis Jr is looking down and smiling right now. Well done, sir." as I surprisingly applauded at the end of his set. Katy Perry put on one hell of a show(talk about hoping for another wardrobe malfunction), Lady Gaga was very entertaining and the rest that weren't my cup of tea, I watched for about half of a song and then found something else to do. They've already released the setlist on wikipedia so I'll probably skip most of it. I wouldn't click on this link if you want to enjoy each song as they move onto each one. I hate knowing a setlist before I see a show. It's almost like knowing the final score of a game before you get to your DVR.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Bowl_halftime_shows

One of my favorite guilty pleasures, Al Hirt, played the first halftime show and also the 4th, the 6th and 12th Super Bowls making him the only artist to be in 4 Halftime Shows. Surprisingly, he never played his most memorable hit, Java. It's almost impossible to be in a bad move while listening to this . . .

I don't have to like that garbage any more than my kids have to like Seether, Operation Ivy, or John Mellencamp.

Live and let live. Don't get offended every time people don't like something. If you want to look for something good in it, good for you. That's your prerogative.

For me, it's not about getting old. Even when I was 20, I had no respect for "artists" that don't write their own music, and just have a good voice with a pretty face. Or can dance really well.

To me, that's "entertainment". I prefer musicians. Song writers.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
"I've always cruised for strange and throwin' my signs thumpin' that Dre!"

[Image: th?id=OIP.oQ1zJfNgqBoyPTH4OE5yOwHaEU&pid...=264&h=154]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I was a mild fan of some of Prince's work. He was an amazing talent. But then I watched this halftime show to see what was going to happen. Blew me away. His solo on Geore Harrison's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is also amazing. The fact that he didn't even promote any of his new music, and helped give others credit was amazing.

A sad loss in the war on opioids.

[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 09:51 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I was a mild fan of some of Prince's work.  He was an amazing talent.  But then I watched this halftime show to see what was going to happen.  Blew me away.  His solo on Geore Harrison's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is also amazing.  The fact that he didn't even promote any of his new music, and helped give others credit was amazing.

I was actually at that Super Bowl in 2007 and watched Prince live. It was a good show. It started raining like Purple Rain though. lol
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 09:51 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I was a mild fan of some of Prince's work.  He was an amazing talent.  But then I watched this halftime show to see what was going to happen.  Blew me away.  His solo on Geore Harrison's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is also amazing.  The fact that he didn't even promote any of his new music, and helped give others credit was amazing.

Pretty much where I was pre-show. I expected him to be good because he was a quality live act for decades . . . but not that good. He killed it. I put Purple Rain in our local radio station's playlist strictly because of that performance.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote