Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Super Bowl losers mind set
Over the years, a lot of Super Bowl losers spent so much energy getting to the Super Bowl, but lost. The following year some struggled to make the playoffs.

I don't like making predictions because injuries at key spots can destroy predictions, but our team seems to have gone from hungry in 2021 to starving in 2022. They want to eat and regardless of the 2022 outcome, the FO has done a phenomenal job in FA. FA is not over, the draft is yet to come, but I am confident in the FO more now than I have ever been.

What is your take of our FO's reaction to losing the Super Bowl by 3 points to a team that went all in, adding key pieces after the season started.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Despite all the moves being made at other teams, I still feel like after all these moves, we're the team to beat in the AFC if not the NFL. Our talent level grew immensely while others may have tapered off/slight increase/decrease.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 09:08 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Over the years, a lot of Super Bowl losers spent so much energy getting to the Super Bowl, but lost. The following year some struggled to make the playoffs.

I don't like making predictions because injuries at key spots can destroy predictions, but our team seems to have gone from hungry in 2021 to starving in 2022. They want to eat and regardless of the 2022 outcome, the FO has done a phenomenal job in FA. FA is not over, the draft is yet to come, but I am confident in the FO more now than I have ever been.

What is your take of our FO's reaction to losing the Super Bowl by 3 points to a team that went all in, adding key pieces after the season started.

We’ve attacked our biggest weakness. I don’t remember a lot of the losers, but I do know many lost many key pieces. I still think we were a year early and are going to be at least way better in the regular season. We got our stride late. We still have 95% of our weapons and replaced our only lost weapon with a similarly comparable weapon. It’s going to be when we have to pay Burrow, Higgins, Chase that we are going to worry about losing a lot of our team.
Reply/Quote
On paper, the improvements made to the offensive line should be a complete gamechanger for our offense. In no way are we guaranteed to make the Super Bowl again, but we made it last year with an o-line that handicapped what our offense was capable of. This new line, plus Burrow, Chase, Higgins, Boyd and Mixon? The gloves are off now. Or should be, anyway. If this offense isn't averaging 30+ points a game Taylor and Callahan aren't doing something right.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 09:13 AM)WVUHomer Wrote: Despite all the moves being made at other teams, I still feel like after all these moves, we're the team to beat in the AFC if not the NFL. Our talent level grew immensely while others may have tapered off/slight increase/decrease.

Yep. We addressed our biggest weakness and didn't lose any major pieces. Still have some holes to fill, but this is a BETTER team than the one that came from sustaining blocks for 1 second longer away from a Super Bowl win.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 09:14 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: We’ve attacked our biggest weakness. I don’t remember a lot of the losers, but I do know many lost many key pieces. I still think we were a year early and are going to be at least way better in the regular season. We got our stride late. We still have 95% of our weapons and replaced our only lost weapon with a similarly comparable weapon. It’s going to be when we have to pay Burrow, Higgins, Chase that we are going to worry about losing a lot of our team.

It is not only the moves, we have a lot of young players and a very  young head coach. I just sense a hunger to win it all and the FO seems to sense it also.

It is a long journey to get to and win a Super Bowl, but 1 year ago any discussion about us being mentioned by the media or even us the fans was rare. I see us on 5 National TV games in 2022 and nothing against AD, but JB seems to play better in the spotlight. We had a number of guys have great playoff and Super Bowl performances which is also a plus.

Kudos to FO, I was ready to give up our 2nd round pick for Collins, even if they paid more, that 2nd round pick is valuable for our future too.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I'm not doing the appropriate work to support my claims, but rather just offering up my ideas.

1) The Bengals are a young team, which means they have many players who still have their prime years ahead of them.
2) They have a talented core still under rookie deals: Burrow, Higgins, Chase, and more.
3) They just signed three OL to improve the team.
4) They didn't lose a ton of talent in FA.
5) The elite QB is going to be elite in '22.

This squad should be able to compete for a playoff spot and Super Bowl run.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 09:08 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Over the years, a lot of Super Bowl losers spent so much energy getting to the Super Bowl, but lost. The following year some struggled to make the playoffs.

Lots of teams that make the Super Bowl, whether they win or not, aren't close to being the same team the following year because they have a lot of guys due to get paid, and they can't keep them all.

The Bengals have not only avoided the huge hit from a lot of veteran contracts coming due by succeeding with a lot of (really) young talent.  They have secured FAs that aren't just one year rentals, but almost all are under contract for three more years.  

This does a number of things:

It allows the team to gel and grow together (as we saw last season) instead of always having a huge roster turnover and trying to maintain chemistry.

It also allows the team to isolate needs (like the o line this year) and attack it in free agency.  Right now, the draft is pretty much wide open and they will be adding competition and youth across numerous positions.  

The Bengals have also nearly sold out ALL of PBS and they will  have a TRUE HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE.

This has already been a phenomenal offseason.  I would like to see Larry O get another one-year prove it deal and pass a physical and the defense would be ready to go.  
Reply/Quote
I think the front office is definately hungry. I'm sure they want a SB and I'm sure MB in particular does. The Burrow rookie contract window is big too.

Our team is young too. They're going to keep wanting to win and prove themselves.
Reply/Quote

A lot of time people point to slumps after a SB, but they don't notate the losses of personnel (coaches and players) that usually occur. We are returning the entire team with upgrades so I don't expect any sort of SB slump.
Reply/Quote
2000: Tennessee Titans -> 13-3 lost in divisional round
2001: New York Giants -> 7-9 missed playoffs
2002: St. Louis Rams -> 7-9 missed playoffs
2003: Oakland Raiders -> 4-12 missed playoffs
2004: Carolina Panthers -> 7-9 missed playoffs
2005: Philadelphia Eagles -> 6-10 missed playoffs
2006: Seattle Seahawks -> 9-7 Lost in divisional round
2007: Chicago Bears -> 7-9 missed playoffs
2008: New England Patriots -> 11-5 missed playoffs
2009: Arizona Cardinals -> 10-6 lost in divisional round
2010: Indianapolis Colts -> 10-6 lost in wild card
2011: Pittsburgh Steelers -> 12-4 lost in wild card
2012: New England Patriots -> 12-4 lost in AFC championship
2013: San Francisco 49ers -> 12-4 lost in NFC championship
2014: Denver Broncos -> 12-4 lost in divisional round
2015: Seattle Seahawks -> 10-6 lost in divisional round
2016: Carolina Panthers -> 6-10 missed playoffs
2017: Atlanta Falcons -> 10-6 lost in divisional round
2018: New England Patriots -> 11-5 Won Super Bowl
2019: Los Angeles Rams -> 9-7 missed playoffs
2020: San Fransisco 49ers -> 6-10 missed playoffs
2021: Kansas City Chiefs -> 12-5 lost in AFC Championship
2022: Cincinnati Bengals -> won 3 straight Super Bowls
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 10:06 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Lots of teams that make the Super Bowl, whether they win or not, aren't close to being the same team the following year because they have a lot of guys due to get paid, and they can't keep them all.

The Bengals have not only avoided the huge hit from a lot of veteran contracts coming due by succeeding with a lot of (really) young talent.  They have secured FAs that aren't just one year rentals, but almost all are under contract for three more years.  

This does a number of things:

It allows the team to gel and grow together (as we saw last season) instead of always having a huge roster turnover and trying to maintain chemistry.

It also allows the team to isolate needs (like the o line this year) and attack it in free agency.  Right now, the draft is pretty much wide open and they will be adding competition and youth across numerous positions.  

The Bengals have also nearly sold out ALL of PBS and they will  have a TRUE HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE.

This has already been a phenomenal offseason.  I would like to see Larry O get another one-year prove it deal and pass a physical and the defense would be ready to go.  

All great points. The present and the future is bright.

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 10:54 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: All great points. The present and the future is bright.

Dang could my research Post have had 5 seconds to be the newest reply before being replaced lol
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 10:53 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: 2000: Tennessee Titans -> 13-3 lost in divisional round

I had to bold above to make sure everyone sees your prediction. I love it and TY for the facts of the past.

Reply/Quote
I agree with some posts above. Unfortunely, AFC's going to be a dog fight this year. Lot of good teams out there, even Denver and Cleveland have become contenders.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 10:56 AM)Bengalion Wrote: I agree with some posts above. Unfortunely, AFC's going to be a dog fight this year. Lot of good teams out there, even Denver and Cleveland have become contenders.

It’s not possible to have 4 teams make the post season from one division right? So that would eliminate one of them possibly 2 if one of those guys loses a few they shouldn’t and hover around 10 or 11 wins
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 10:34 AM)Au165 Wrote: A lot of time people point to slumps after a SB, but they don't notate the losses of personnel (coaches and players) that usually occur. We are returning the entire team with upgrades so I don't expect any sort of SB slump.

Lots of the sports media are of the opinion Cincy got hot. If you look at their last 10 or so games (excluding Cleveland) counting a tough last 4 we were a different team. We transformed rather than got hot.

So looking at FA Buffalo other than Von Miller didn’t improve. KC’s secondary needed help but didn’t get it. San Diego and Denver got much better. The Bengals with a solid OL revamp? Maybe the Collins acquisition may bring some people around. But a much better OL will make the Bengals offense much much better. Baltimore they are about the same. They helped their secondary.

The Bengals defense will be better because they will be more cohesive. Intact and a full year under their belt. The offense will be much better because of the OL but also because of Burrow’s learning curve and cohesiveness with his receivers. Finally and what I’ve worn out saying since Collins joined is that Joe Mixon will become a giant and gather NFL MVP consideration next year if healthy. Good luck dealing with this offense explosive in the passing and running game. KC,Bills,Bucs,Rams, or Packers will have that.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 10:53 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: 2000: Tennessee Titans -> 13-3 lost in divisional round

So of the the last 22 super bowl losers...only one has returned. Only 3 made it to the conf championship game. 10 have missed the playoffs entirely. This highlights just how hard it is to get back. 
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 10:56 AM)Bengalion Wrote: I agree with some posts above. Unfortunely, AFC's going to be a dog fight this year. Lot of good teams out there, even Denver and Cleveland have become contenders.

The Cleveland browns have been favorites to win the super bowl for the last 4 years. They always look good on paper. They've only been to one playoff in the last 18 years or so
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 11:14 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: The Cleveland browns have been favorites to win the super bowl for the last 4 years. They always look good on paper. They've only been to one playoff in the last 18 years or so

Can't say for sure, but from listening to NFL radio this morning Cleveland may be having a huge bout of buyer's remorse. Evidently a great deal of their fan base is not happy and letting them know it about Watson. 
Reply/Quote