Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE GAME... what should NOT happen.
(01-03-2023, 03:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, they gotta get this figured out without skipping the game.

If they skip this game, imagine the ratings if they play next year on Monday Night. I don't think skipping the game would bother me so much if it wasn't THIS game. I've been looking forward to this matchup all season. Burrow/Allen, Bengals/Bills. It had all the earmarks of a game for the ages.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 03:51 PM)Sled21 Wrote: If they skip this game, imagine the ratings if they play next year on Monday Night. I don't think skipping the game would bother me so much if it wasn't THIS game. I've been looking forward to this matchup all season. Burrow/Allen, Bengals/Bills. It had all the earmarks of a game for the ages.

This would have been a good one.... for sure was even gonna try and stay up for it.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 02:34 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Bengals and Bills each have a game on Sunday (1/8) at 1:00 PM.  That's five days from now.  
First playoff games are on Saturday (1/14) at 4:30 PM and 8:15 PM.  That's eleven days from now.
Next set of playoff games are on Sunday (1/15) at 1:00 PM, 4:30 PM and 8:15 PM.  That's twelve days from now.

Either the Bengals or the Bills would be playing wildcard weekend.  If the NFL tries to reschedule this game, one of these teams is going to have to play three games within twelve days.  That's absurd, and dangerous.

Best thing to do is either declare a tie or a no-contest.  This will affect seeding, and teams are simply going to have to grit their teeth and understand the extreme circumstances of this and adhere to the humanity side of it.

Bengals plays 430 game Sunday also.. i see a no contest coming makes the most sense, it does not impact any of the WC teams getting into the playoffs, it impacts seeding between Chiefs ( but if they win Sat. does not impact them) Bills, Bengals and Ravens . The Ravens get the worst of this no contest, they would be locked out of division now
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I have been told by someone who is part of an NFL organization in player personnel that many within the league are assuming it will be a straight no contest at this point. This person is in the NFC so their indifference to playoff implications and such may create a bias not sure. Take it for what it's worth.
Reply/Quote
Sorry but declaring the game a tie is not an option and neither is forfeiting the game to give the Bills the win. This game has to be played, Bills forfeit or Bengals declared the winner since the Bengals were winning when the game was called.

You must remember also that the Bengals were moving the ball rather well when the injury occurred.

I know it was still early in the game and adjustments would be made.

This game has to be played. It cheats the Bills and the Bengals.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
I don’t think it’s played. That’s the thoughts of the organization. Is it evolving? Absolutely
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 04:39 PM)Au165 Wrote: I have been told by someone who is part of an NFL organization in player personnel that many within the league are assuming it will be a straight no contest at this point. This person is in the NFC so their indifference to playoff implications and such may create a bias not sure. Take it for what it's worth.

I was told exactly the same thing by an in-game official after the game.  A team's overall winning % will determine playoff seeding. 
Reply/Quote
Honestly who even cares about football at this point, we need to focus on the mans health and that he will be ok. They should just postpone the season and start it where it left off next Fall.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 04:54 PM)packerbacker Wrote: Honestly who even cares about football at this point, we need to focus on the mans health and that he will be ok. They should just postpone the season and start it where it left off next Fall.

So the whole world stops and the sun will not come up tomorrow, huh?  No way this happens, the NFL is a business and they're not going to give up their revenue. 
Reply/Quote
Fellas.

The game doesn't have to be played...we just need to determine the game's outcome.

Each team had one possession. Bengals scored a TD. Bills scored a FG. Give the Bengals the W and move on.

I'd be saying this if the roles were reversed.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 03:51 PM)Sled21 Wrote: If they skip this game, imagine the ratings if they play next year on Monday Night. I don't think skipping the game would bother me so much if it wasn't THIS game. I've been looking forward to this matchup all season. Burrow/Allen, Bengals/Bills. It had all the earmarks of a game for the ages.

No doubt, if this wasn't the Bills I wouldn't be so mad, but I was really looking forward to this game more than any other this year.

Hopefully we play them again in the Playoffs in the AFC Championship.

(01-03-2023, 04:40 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Sorry but declaring the game a tie is not an option and neither is forfeiting the game to give the Bills the win. This game has to be played, Bills forfeit or Bengals declared the winner since the Bengals were winning when the game was called.

You must remember also that the Bengals were moving the ball rather well when the injury occurred.

I know it was still early in the game and adjustments would be made.

This game has to be played. It cheats the Bills and the Bengals.

Same way I feel Neb. Need to play this game as it cheats us both. But declaring it a tie is bogus, we were leading and outplaying
them. If they give us the win I might not be as mad, but still, would rather us play the game right from where it left off.

(01-03-2023, 05:00 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Fellas.

The game doesn't have to be played...we just need to determine the game's outcome.

Each team had one possession. Bengals scored a TD. Bills scored a FG. Give the Bengals the W and move on.

I could understand this, same as OT.
Reply/Quote
Really only one way to do this well maybe two. One push playoffs back one week andCx the stupid pro bowl. Or you declare bengals the winner. It’s a lose lose for everybody but you have to decide a winner. Bengals had the lead and Buffalo had to forfeit due to injury. It’s sux but what else do you do? You could also declare the winner based off conference record after next weeks game and if it’s a tie so common opponents.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 04:54 PM)packerbacker Wrote: Honestly who even cares about football at this point, we need to focus on the mans health and that he will be ok. They should just postpone the season and start it where it left off next Fall.

Dude, you seem like a cool guy (or gal) but... this is an AWFUL take, seriously.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 05:00 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Fellas.

While this would feel icky either way, it is the best way, imo, to keep everything moving forward and teams would know what is at stake for week 18.

What is the NFL thinking leaving some teams hanging for week 18?  What about all the fans? The longer they drag this out the worse it is gonna look.  Ignoring it until after week 18 is absurd imo.
Reply/Quote

Seriously?  Whatever decision the NFL makes will have less than ZERO impact on the young man's recovery.  How in the world do you think this player would feel about this decision?  What about the potential backlash from the fans of the other 30 teams?  I wont even touch on the lawsuits due to billion dollar contracts and the millions of dollars missed by vendors in multiple cities.

We all understand if you are done with the season, see you next year.  

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 04:33 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Bengals plays 430 game Sunday also.. i see a no contest coming makes the most sense, it does not impact any of the WC teams getting into the playoffs, it impacts seeding between Chiefs ( but if they win Sat. does not impact them) Bills, Bengals and Ravens .  The Ravens get the worst of this no contest, they would be locked out of division now

If there is a no contest the Chiefs are gifted the #1 seed if they win next week.  The Ravens cannot win the division even if they beat the Bengals if going by win percentage.  Bengals are stuck with the 3 seed no matter what happens.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 08:44 PM)casear2727 Wrote: If there is a no contest the Chiefs are gifted the #1 seed if they win next week.  The Ravens cannot win the division even if they beat the Bengals if going by win percentage.  Bengals are stuck with the 3 seed no matter what happens.

Whatever the NFL decides they should make the decision prior to Saturday
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 08:52 PM)kevinsea Wrote: Whatever the NFL decides they should make the decision prior to Saturday

They should make it by tomorrow afternoon imo.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 08:53 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: They should make it by tomorrow afternoon imo.

I can almost gurantee they won't make a decision till after this weekends games... 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 08:44 PM)casear2727 Wrote: If there is a no contest the Chiefs are gifted the #1 seed if they win next week.  The Ravens cannot win the division even if they beat the Bengals if going by win percentage.  Bengals are stuck with the 3 seed no matter what happens.

Accurate on the Ravens, Casear. But I think if the game is declared a no-contest, then the Bills get the #1 seed if they win this weekend, since they would have the higher winning percentage. And I think there is a scenario where the Bengals can still pass the Bills, at least according to one poster who calculated everything to the 5th tiebreaker. Regardless, the NFL needs to step up and tell the stakeholders when the decision on the "postponement" will be made. You mentioned the Ravens: they probably should rest there key players if the Bengals-Bills game will not be resumed and thus they cannot win the division. Teams need clarity. 

At the minimum, the NFL should tell stakeholders the date when they would make a decision. At this point, the NFL called it a postponement, which means it will be resumed at a future date. 
Reply/Quote