Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
THIS IS THE WEEK
(08-26-2023, 11:56 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Or their could be a Tee hangup, or they are working a longer term deal.  You continue to comment as if you know it as fact, and that fact is always Burrow's greed that is the hold up. 

Yeah we are all speculating at this point. But it does seem reasonable to speculate Burrow is asking for something extra whether it be money or a guarantee they sign certain players. It just seems like the contract #s should've written themselves with Lamar, Hurts and Herbert all signing. I'm still hoping it's announced today or before the next practice and then it's announced Burrow is back at practice. 
Reply/Quote
I'm still trying to figure out why so many of you are so worried about Burrow getting signed this year. Playing out this year on his current contract is the best scenario for the team and cap. And there's no way they are going to let him hit the market. Personally, I feel signing him this year is a mistake. They need to sign Tee this year and Burrow next year while picking up Chase's 5th year option. Then sign chase 2 seasons from now to a large contract.

Now all of you that know better about this cap stuff than I do, please enlighten me to where I've gone off track with my thinking.
Reply/Quote
It's interesting the news is rather quiet. We know both the Bengals organization and Burrow said that was their intent but I'm surprised we don't know more information since the season is about to start.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I assume this will all work out and be peaches and cream, but I'll also admit we're dealing with the Browns trying to handle the new era of QB's getting obscene money and guarantees and we're pairing that with our QB playing GM by supposedly using his own deal as leverage to keep his buddies around, effective as they may be.

I assume it'll all work out, but yeah the Browns aren't known to hand out guaranteed money, nor do they have a history of enjoying players trying to dictate the makeup of the roster.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 11:01 AM)Mer Wrote: I'm still trying to figure out why so many of you are so worried about Burrow getting signed this year. Playing out this year on his current contract is the best scenario for the team and cap. And there's no way they are going to let him hit the market. Personally, I feel signing him this year is a mistake. They need to sign Tee this year and Burrow next year while picking up Chase's 5th year option. Then sign chase 2 seasons from now to a large contract.

Now all of you that know better about this cap stuff than I do, please enlighten me to where I've gone off track with my thinking.

I think more importantly Burrow has it in his best interest to sign a deal before the season for the guaranteed money.   It's a long season and if he experiences another unfortunate injury he'll want that money in the bank.   As for the Bengals, it is probably better to sign him now as well because the money is just going to keep going up on top tier QB contracts in relation to the salary cap.   So better locking him in now at X amount as the the salary cap will keep increasing each year and top players will ask for more as the cap goes up.  This is really the best time for both parties to agree on a new contract.  Burrow gets guaranteed money and secures his future.  The Bengals lock him in for X amount of years at one value as the cap increases and player agents start asking for more relative to the cap.

Honestly I can't imagine Burrow going into the regular season without a new contract with a shit load of guaranteed money.   He would be risking a lot playing this year without that huge bag of secured cash.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 12:18 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Honestly I can't imagine Burrow going into the regular season without a new contract with a shit load of guaranteed money.   He would be risking a lot playing this year without that huge bag of secured cash.

I will say that I was watching when Bears WR, Johnny Knox, had his career ending injury, but still...I can't see Burrow doing anything this year other than increasing his value.  As a Bengals fan I fully expect him to be in the running for SB winner, SB MVP, and league MVP this year.  All of those would increase his value, and if he really wants money if he makes it to free agency, he'd really cash in with a 25+ team bidding war.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 11:01 AM)Mer Wrote: I'm still trying to figure out why so many of you are so worried about Burrow getting signed this year. Playing out this year on his current contract is the best scenario for the team and cap. And there's no way they are going to let him hit the market. Personally, I feel signing him this year is a mistake. They need to sign Tee this year and Burrow next year while picking up Chase's 5th year option. Then sign chase 2 seasons from now to a large contract.

I don't have the best cap understanding myself. But from what I've heard if you sign him now and pickup his 5th year option first and say give him a 5 year contract extension. You are adding that 5 years onto his next 2 years and just give yourself more years to be creative how you spread that money out. Also as others have pointed out the money is just going to keep increasing so I think while we don't have to sign him this year it makes the most sense to. It would also give us clarity so we don't go into next off season with even more questions.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 12:49 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I will say that I was watching when Bears WR, Johnny Knox, had his career ending injury, but still...I can't see Burrow doing anything this year other than increasing his value.  As a Bengals fan I fully expect him to be in the running for SB winner, SB MVP, and league MVP this year.  All of those would increase his value, and if he really wants money if he makes it to free agency, he'd really cash in with a 25+ team bidding war.

He has already increased his value to the tune of at least a few hundred million dollars guaranteed and probably one of the highest paid QBs of all time for at least this year.   IMO it would be a huge risk to turn all that down and play on a rookie contract +5th year option after already proving his value.   

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 01:15 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: He has already increased his value to the tune of at least a few hundred million dollars guaranteed and probably one of the highest paid QBs of all time for at least this year.   IMO it would be a huge risk to turn all that down and play on a rookie contract +5th year option after already proving his value.   

I guess.  I feel like he could go out there and blow his achilles in 1 second and 25+ teams would still give him top dollar.  I can't see him doing anything to lower his value, just my 2 cents. 
Reply/Quote
If Joe wasn't so laser-focused on game day, I would say he signs on the morning of 9/10 for drama's sake, but he won't mess with his game-day routine so he'll sign before he gets on the plane

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 01:15 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: He has already increased his value to the tune of at least a few hundred million dollars guaranteed and probably one of the highest paid QBs of all time for at least this year.   IMO it would be a huge risk to turn all that down and play on a rookie contract +5th year option after already proving his value.   

I agree.  

The only way he spikes his value significantly is by winning a Super Bowl.  He's done everything else.  That's not a great gamble for him if that's the goal, and I don't think it is.  

This team is great personnel-wise and they certainly have a serious shot at a title, but there are way too many moving parts for that to be a wise play.  
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 01:24 PM)samhain Wrote: I agree.  

The only way he spikes his value significantly is by winning a Super Bowl.  He's done everything else.  That's not a great gamble for him if that's the goal, and I don't think it is.  

This team is great personnel-wise and they certainly have a serious shot at a title, but there are way too many moving parts for that to be a wise play.  

If Burrow doesn't win a SB here in the next 2 years, contract or no, I'd be a bit surprised (a bit, not insanely).  I know it isn't easy to win a SB and a lot of things have to fall in place, but it takes very litter homerism to see him winning it all in 2024 or 2025.

Burrow is either going to win the SB in the next 2 years or at least prove to more than half of the NFL teams out there that getting him will get them a SB in the next 2 years.  AND if anything goes wrong or he underperforms, teams are going to say "Well, it's the Bengals' fault, not his" and still value him like it won the SB here.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 01:20 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I guess.  I feel like he could go out there and blow his achilles in 1 second and 25+ teams would still give him top dollar.  I can't see him doing anything to lower his value, just my 2 cents. 

I guess it is easy for us as just regular people to speculate.   But when we are talking about at least 10's of millions of dollars guaranteed it is probably a different story for those playing the game and getting that pay check.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 01:31 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If Burrow doesn't win a SB here in the next 2 years, contract or no, I'd be a bit surprised (a bit, not insanely).  I know it isn't easy to win a SB and a lot of things have to fall in place, but it takes very litter homerism to see him winning it all in 2024 or 2025.

Burrow is either going to win the SB in the next 2 years or at least prove to more than half of the NFL teams out there that getting him will get them a SB in the next 2 years.  AND if anything goes wrong or he underperforms, teams are going to say "Well, it's the Bengals' fault, not his" and still value him like it won the SB here.

Burrow has already earned his big pay day.   Super Bowl appearance and then went to the AFC Championship game last year.   Hebert and Jackson got paid this year big time with less accomplishments. 

I doubt Burrow or his agent are willing to gamble on the same success to get a possibly bigger payout next year as opposed to getting paid big time this year. Not to mention the injury risk of playing a season without that big guaranteed money.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 01:45 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Burrow has already earned his big pay day.   Super Bowl appearance and then went to the AFC Championship game last year.   Hebert and Jackson got paid this year big time with less accomplishments. 

I doubt Burrow or his agent are willing to gamble on the same success to get a possibly bigger payout next year as opposed to getting paid big time this year.  Not to mention the injury risk of playing a season without that big guaranteed money.

Yeah, it is best to just get it done this year and not wait for all parties. It will make Burrow, the other players, the coaches, the fans and 
the Front Office all feel better having him locked up long term. Wouldn't surprise me if the deal is already written up, agreed to and they 
are waiting to announce and show him signing for drama reasons. Good things come to those who wait.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 01:45 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Burrow has already earned his big pay day.   Super Bowl appearance and then went to the AFC Championship game last year.   Hebert and Jackson got paid this year big time with less accomplishments. 

I doubt Burrow or his agent are willing to gamble on the same success to get a possibly bigger payout next year as opposed to getting paid big time this year.  Not to mention the injury risk of playing a season without that big guaranteed money.

Ok putting it this way makes me think we are on the same page. 
Reply/Quote
It's best for both parties to get-r-done this year and have no doubt it will get done.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

As it pertains to the cap, Im not sure why you think it matters when a player is extended other than the additional prorated signing bonus?

The player's 1st year of the extension begins AFTER the last year of their current contract.  The staggering already exists and will not be changed.
The reason why teams extend stars as early as possible is for two MAJOR reasons:

1.  The price goes up each year.
2.  Most importantly, other teams cannot start a bidding war.  If you wait until the last year every team drives the price even more.

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 04:01 PM)casear2727 Wrote: As it pertains to the cap, Im not sure why you think it matters when a player is extended other than the additional prorated signing bonus?

The player's 1st year of the extension begins AFTER the last year of their current contract.  The staggering already exists and will not be changed.
The reason why teams extend stars as early as possible is for two MAJOR reasons:

1.  The price goes up each year.
2.  Most importantly, other teams cannot start a bidding war.  If you wait until the last year every team drives the price even more.

All true and also expecting Burrow to make his biggest jump this season if he enters the opener 100% and stays healthy.

He should be in the MVP conversation this season easily and could win a SB and that also will drive up his price.

Get it done now, but like I said, I am thinking the contract has already been written up and agreed to and they are waiting for a 
certain time to announce it all for entertainment purposes as this FO is into this stuff big time.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 04:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All true and also expecting Burrow to make his biggest jump this season if he enters the opener 100% and stays healthy.

He should be in the MVP conversation this season easily and could win a SB and that also will drive up his price.

Get it done now, but like I said, I am thinking the contract has already been written up and agreed to and they are waiting for a 
certain time to announce it all for entertainment purposes as this FO is into this stuff big time.

Maybe, but I cannot remember a time in which they have ever done this? 

I still think Burrow's deal is awaiting some language that possibly pertains to Tee or some other roster flexibility issue that would require a structure tweak.  I have zero doubt that the numbers are done.

Reply/Quote