Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
TV viewership down 13% NFL Debut
(09-24-2020, 02:01 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I understand.

Interesting thought.  We do have that where I live.  Also quite a few teachers have children in the school system and everybody kinda looks out for everyone else.  We have small class sizes.  20 in a class would be pretty large.  My daughter is in 4th grade and has 15 or 16 kids in her class and there are probably 3 - 5 4th grade classes.  It is one of those true small town communities.

You know what’s crazy? I grew up in a town of about 2,000 people. We didn’t have five fourth grade classes of 15 students each. Because if we extrapolate those numbers, that’s 75 kids/grade x K-12=49% of your town’s population in school. Small towns aren’t big enough to support those kinds of numbers.

When you factor in the all the PreK kids that raises the percentage of your population 18 and below to 68% of your towns population. Leaving the remaining 32% age 19 and above. Basically, the remaining 32% would need to be of child bearing age.

Which leads me to conclude, you live in Logan’s Run.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 02:01 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Let’s google “number one cause of poor education in America” and see if we can identify a pattern among the search results.
Lot's of different ideas and theories.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 02:20 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: You know what’s crazy? I grew up in a town of about 2,000 people. We didn’t have five fourth grade classes of 15 students each. Because if we extrapolate those numbers, that’s 75 kids/grade x K-12=49% of your town’s population in school. Small towns aren’t big enough to support those kinds of numbers.

So I just looked up my Villages' population and as of 2020 was 2110.

the K-12 population for the 2018-2019 school year was 968.

13:1 student teacher ratio.

EDIT.....I completely forgot we have another small town (801 Population) a few miles away that is part of our school system.  
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 02:27 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Lot's of different ideas and theories.

Hmm, you were unable to identify a recurring theme that rhymes with “funding”?
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 02:39 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Hmm, you were unable to identify a recurring theme that rhymes with “funding”?

Just found a lot of different ideas and theories based on the Google search.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 02:01 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I understand.

Interesting thought.  We do have that where I live.  Also quite a few teachers have children in the school system and everybody kinda looks out for everyone else.  We have small class sizes.  20 in a class would be pretty large.  My daughter is in 4th grade and has 15 or 16 kids in her class and there are probably 3 - 5 4th grade classes.  It is one of those true small town communities.

Building community in schools is huge too, and that sounds like what you have. I mentioned that in the education reform thread. Making schools a hub in the community is critical. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 02:36 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: So I just looked up my Villages' population and as of 2020 was 2110.

the K-12 population for the 2018-2019 school year was 968.

13:1 student teacher ratio.

EDIT.....I completely forgot we have another small town (801 Population) a few miles away that is part of our school system.  

Another thing about small towns is if I got pulled over my mom knew about it before I got home. It’s not like us small town folk to just plum forget about 1/3rd of the population a “few” miles away.

Because in a small town of 2,000 your one neighbor lived a few miles away, not another 801 neighbors.

If we go with your revised numbers to include the town you forgot about a few miles down the road that means 46% of the population is 18 and under. I just looked up the demographics for my hometown which is 24% age 18 and under.

I wonder why your two towns have such a low life expectancy?
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 02:57 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Another thing about small towns is if I got pulled over my mom knew about it before I got home. It’s not like us small town folk to just plum forget about 1/3rd of the population a “few” miles away.

Because in a small town of 2,000 your one neighbor lived a few miles away, not another 801 neighbors.

If we go with your revised numbers to include the town you forgot about a few miles down the road that means 46% of the population is 18 and under. I just looked up the demographics for my hometown which is 24% age 18 and under.

I wonder why your two towns have such a low life expectancy?

I gave you the numbers per NYS.  And yes, I forgot the schools merged a few years back.  I have no reason to go to the other town.  There is nothing there I need to go there for.

I didn't grow up here.  I moved here when I was 26.  Been here 20 years.  Never had a reason to go to the "other town" then and still don't now.

Why in the world would I lie about something like that?  At least that is what it appears you are insinuating.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 02:48 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Just found a lot of different ideas and theories based on the Google search.

A theory is something which has been proven by data. Like the germ theory that infectious disease is caused by microorganisms. You mean hypothesis, not theory. I learned the difference in public school.

I just looked it up and the 18 and under demographic makes up 24% of the US’ population. My lil’ podunk town is right in line with that statistic. And you think your little town has twice as many kids as the national average, but you weren’t able to identify funding as a recurring theme in all those source about the number one cause of poor education in America?

I gotta say, I’m not surprised.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 02:55 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Building community in schools is huge too, and that sounds like what you have. I mentioned that in the education reform thread. Making schools a hub in the community is critical. 

No arguing that!  I am very thankful to be able to raise my children here.  And I'm not saying we are a top school or anything, we simply are not as bad off as some of the high population/poor school systems.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 03:08 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: A theory is something which has been proven by data. Like the germ theory that infectious disease is caused by microorganisms. You mean hypothesis, not theory. I learned the difference in public school.

I just looked it up and the 18 and under demographic makes up 24% of the US’ population. My lil’ podunk town is right in line with that statistic.  And you think your little town has twice as many kids as the national average, but you weren’t able to identify funding as a recurring theme in all those source about the number one cause of poor education in America?

I gotta say, I’m not surprised.
Holy cow man.  I just meant there are lots of different ideas about what is wrong with public schools.  One link alone was something like 18 reasons poor school systems have problems.

It seems you just want to argue and I don't.  I'm not claiming to be some super smart guy with all the answers.  I was just trying to engage in friendly dialogue since I have 2 kids in the public school system.

I don't care if you believe me or not.  I'm not lying and those are the numbers according to NYS.  Maybe I misread one or something, but I don't think I did.

Have a nice day.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 03:07 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I gave you the numbers per NYS.  And yes, I forgot the schools merged a few years back.  I have no reason to go to the other town.  There is nothing there I need to go there for.

I didn't grow up here.  I moved here when I was 26.  Been here 20 years.  Never had a reason to go to the "other town" then and still don't now.

Why in the world would I lie about something like that?  At least that what it appears you are insinuating.

I’m not saying you lied. I’m just saying your numbers are bullshit. There’s a difference. Kinda like how you tried to calculate a mortality rate by incorrectly calculating a case fatality rate using a number you just pulled out of your fourth point of contact. That’s why your numbers didn’t match John Hopkins’ numbers.

And when I google the number one cause of poor education in America on my phone, funding and/or poverty is listed by 9 out of 9 sources of the first nine sources. If you can’t identify 100% of the sources as a pattern, well . . . you probably have trouble identifying the problem.

There are only four cardinal directions and in 20 years you’ve never had reason to travel in one of those directions?
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 03:18 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I’m not saying you lied. I’m just saying your numbers are bullshit. There’s a difference. Kinda like how you tried to calculate a mortality rate by incorrectly calculating a case fatality rate using a number you just pulled out of your fourth point of contact. That’s why your numbers didn’t match John Hopkins’ numbers.
First, enough with the Covid crap.  We disagree.  Get over it and post in the Covid thread if you feel the need to keep rambling on about it.  It makes you look like a big cryin' baby.

Second, what might have been off with the population numbers is that we have a separate Village and Town Gov't.  99% of the links I found said 2110, but I found one link that listed 3400 as the population.  So maybe they are listing the main Village when I was searching.  I don't know.  All I can say are those are the numbers I am finding.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 03:36 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: First, enough with the Covid crap.  We disagree.  Get over it and post in the Covid thread if you feel the need to keep rambling on about it.  It makes you look like a big cryin' baby.

Nothing demonstrates your maturity more than calling me a cry baby. Well, done.

Quote:Second, what might have been off with the population numbers is that we have a separate Village and Town Gov't.  99% of the links I found said 2110, but I found one link that listed 3400 as the population.  So maybe they are listing the main Village when I was searching.  I don't know.  All I can say are those are the numbers I am finding.

So I’ll ask again. Why does your town have such a low life expectancy and such a high birth rate that your town has almost double the kids 18 and under and half the adults 65 and older? That’s weird. Or the numbers are wrong.

Anyway, how are you judging your school’s success versus others to reach your conclusion “they do really good [sic] in school”?
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 03:50 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Nothing demonstrates your maturity more than calling me a cry baby. Well, done.

So I’ll ask again. Why does your town have such a low life expectancy and such a high birth rate that your town has almost double the kids 18 and under and half the adults 65 and older? That’s weird. Or the numbers are wrong.

Anyway, how are you judging your school’s success versus others to reach your conclusion “they do really good [sic] in school”?

Thank you!  And I didn't call you a big cryin' baby, I said you are making yourself look like a big cryin' baby.   ThumbsUp

I live where I live, the numbers are the numbers.  I even said the pop might be 3400 if they were only stating Village pop. and not accounting for the Town pop.   Not going to argue with you anymore, again.  Completely unproductive.

Have a nice day.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 04:17 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Thank you!  And I didn't call you a big cryin' baby, I said you are making yourself look like a big cryin' baby.   ThumbsUp

For your homework tonight, tell your wife she looks fat and ugly. Then explain you didn’t call her fat and ugly. You only meant she looks fat and ugly.

Let me know how it goes.

Quote:I live where I live, the numbers are the numbers.  I even said the pop might be 3400 if they were only stating Village pop. and not accounting for the Town pop.   Not going to argue with you anymore, again.  Completely unproductive.

Have a nice day.

And in the span of less than an afternoon your town’s population increased from around 2,000 to 3,400. Just think of all the jobs I created by disputing your numbers because they didn’t make sense. You’re welcome.
Reply/Quote