Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Target Hurst
(09-30-2022, 01:52 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: As soon as I saw him doing that I was like OH NO ! Pissed

Luckily for us it worked out. 

I know, good thing Wilcox is a bit athletic for a TE. Good ST'er and every once in a while, he flashes a good thing in the 
passing game. Was refreshing as I am always a bit perplexed on why we don't use the TE's more. They often are big 
mismatches for Defenses and I think we ought use every mismatch we can.

Some say the Offense Zac and the Rams run doesn't use the TE much but that isn't true either, the Rams used that one
TE of theirs tons. Forgetting his name at the moment, Bigby or something like that.

I know we got the best trio of WR's in the NFL but the more options for Burrow the better.
Reply/Quote
Hurst was wide open VS Miami a lot
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 10:40 PM)Housh Wrote: Hurst was wide open VS Miami a lot

I can't compare Hurst to Uzo as I don't study games or anything I just watch them and tend to follow the ball. Is he playing better than CJ did last year? I always thought CJ was an okayish TE probably a 2 for most teams in the league. It may take Burrow some time to adjust to a new TE if they are playing very well in the passing game. We all know Sample was out there to block for the most part.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We want to talk about how bad the run blocking has been and Hurst has been a big part of that. I know fans want to zero in on receiving stats these days but for a team that runs ALOT of 11 personnel blocking is very important for a Tight End.

Edit: A little draft Tidbit Look for Darnell Washington from Georgia in the second round. One of the best blocking tight ends I've ever seen in college.. athletic and built like a OT.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 10:58 PM)Synric Wrote: We want to talk about how bad the run blocking has been and Hurst has been a big part of that. I know fans want to zero in on receiving stats these days but for a team that runs ALOT of 11 personnel blocking is very important for a Tight End.

Edit: A little draft Tidbit Look for Darnell Washington from Georgia in the second round. One of the best blocking tight ends I've ever seen in college.. athletic and built like a OT.

After Drew Sample i refuse to condone drafting another TE that high who isn’t known for catching passes.

We can draft a blocking TE in any round of the draft if that’s what we want .
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 10:58 PM)Synric Wrote: We want to talk about how bad the run blocking has been and Hurst has been a big part of that. I know fans want to zero in on receiving stats these days but for a team that runs ALOT of 11 personnel blocking is very important for a Tight End.

I would like to know what stats you've seen that show that he's a worse blocker and a "big part" of the problem in the run game. There are numerous stats showing how ineffective Mixon has been so far this year. I'm not saying Hurst has been good/great but I'd like to see proof with a claim that bold. 
Reply/Quote
Glad to see Hurst more involved.... I think if utilized correctly him and Boyd really will open up this offense.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Hurst is a player who is feisty, sure handed, and emotional.

Glad to have him aboard

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

We all knew Hurst wasn't going to be the best run blocker, this is no surprise. Still, I have also seen him make a few good 
blocks that did surprise me so he can improve in this aspect. Can Washington catch the ball and run routes? If so, I would 
take a look at him in the 2nd, but if not, I wouldn't. Need a TE that is a threat catching the ball if we draft one early.

Will have to watch Darnell Washington next time I watch Georgia play.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2022, 03:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We all knew Hurst wasn't going to be the best run blocker, this is no surprise. Still, I have also seen him make a few good 
blocks that did surprise me so he can improve in this aspect. Can Washington catch the ball and run routes? If so, I would 
take a look at him in the 2nd, but if not, I wouldn't. Need a TE that is a threat catching the ball if we draft one early.

Will have to watch Darnell Washington next time I watch Georgia play.

Against Miami him, Wilcox and Asiasi had good blocking games. That’s one thing i noticed upon rewatch.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2022, 02:24 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Hurst is a player who is feisty, sure handed, and emotional.

Glad to have him aboard

Sounds like our last TE, I'm happy with him but he won't move the needle much and that is to be expected with the talent and system we have at WR and offense
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2022, 09:31 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Sounds like our last TE, I'm happy with him but he won't move the needle much and that is to be expected with the talent and system we have at WR and offense

Difference is we’re paying Hurst less than half what Uzomah got. The Bengals were smart not to shell out that kind of money for a run-of-the-mill TE.

Reply/Quote
This is a bit heart-warming to see.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2022/10/1/23381485/hayden-hurst-says-hes-found-his-home-with-bengals

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2022, 09:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Difference is we’re paying Hurst less than half what Uzomah got. The Bengals were smart not to shell out that kind of money for a run-of-the-mill TE.

Yes agree it was smart to not pay him that $$ and pretty much replace with with another avg TE in Hurst  for less especially since you know the targets are going to our trio of wr anyway as they should.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2022, 09:31 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Sounds like our last TE, I'm happy with him but he won't move the needle much and that is to be expected with the talent and system we have at WR and offense

2022 stats

..........Uzomah............Hurst

Catches.......1...............14
Yards..........5................104
TD's............0................1
Targets........1................21

Hurst has an extra game though, but CJ does not seem to be proving himself in NY just yet. At double the cost as well and even when playing the Bengals defense which he knew inside and out. 

Think the Bengals made the right move by saving money at TE and putting it toward the O-line personally and probably upgraded in the process.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2022, 08:41 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Yes agree it was smart to not pay him that $$ and pretty much replace with with another avg TE in Hurst  for less especially since you know the targets are going to our trio of wr anyway as they should.

Hurst has more targets at 21 than Boyd has at 19 presently.

Not saying this is wise and want Boyd to get more targets actually, yet feel Hurst is doing fine. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 11:55 PM)TheFan Wrote: I would like to know what stats you've seen that show that he's a worse blocker and a "big part" of the problem in the run game. There are numerous stats showing how ineffective Mixon has been so far this year. I'm not saying Hurst has been good/great but I'd like to see proof with a claim that bold. 

Rewatching games, i've seen a handful of times Hurst has missed a block that caused a tackle. The one that stands out in my mind is when Hurst was going in motion to the left, Mixon got the pitch, Hurst allowed the guy right in front of him to go by (looking for someone deeper i guess) and the dude tackled Mixon for a loss. 

Not saying he should not be starting at all. Love his effort and what he brings to the passing game (they missed him on big gains several times) just that he has a long way to go to be an effective blocker. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2022, 10:29 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Rewatching games, i've seen a handful of times Hurst has missed a block that caused a tackle. The one that stands out in my mind is when Hurst was going in motion to the left, Mixon got the pitch, Hurst allowed the guy right in front of him to go by (looking for someone deeper i guess) and the dude tackled Mixon for a loss. 

Not saying he should not be starting at all. Love his effort and what he brings to the passing game (they missed him on big gains several times) just that he has a long way to go to be an effective blocker. 

I'm not saying Hurst is a great blocker because I don't think he is. But we can all find plays where the TE or even OL (especially with this line) missed a block which screwed a play. I remember it happening at times to CJ last year and Drew earlier this year. 

CJ had 3 years to be in the ZT system and get comfortable with Burrow as well. You would think Hurst will only continue to improve with time and continuity.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2022, 09:20 AM)Go Cards Wrote: 2022 stats

..........Uzomah............Hurst

Catches.......1...............14
Yards..........5................104
TD's............0................1
Targets........1................21

Hurst has an extra game though, but CJ does not seem to be proving himself in NY just yet. At double the cost as well and even when playing the Bengals defense which he knew inside and out. 

Think the Bengals made the right move by saving money at TE and putting it toward the O-line personally and probably upgraded in the process.

I agree on $$ , but also the idea that Hurst was going blow open TE I figured would not happen  so far pretty much a wash replace except not great blocker. , this Offense is made for the trio, we can't spend $$ on TE, maybe roll with a rookie next year, I would not resign Hurst if he wants more $$
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 11:43 PM)Housh Wrote: After Drew Sample i refuse to condone drafting another TE that high who isn’t known for catching passes.

We can draft a blocking TE in any round of the draft if that’s what we want .

2023 is a really good TE draft 

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote