Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Target Hurst
(10-02-2022, 03:26 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I agree on $$ , but also the idea that Hurst was going blow open TE I figured would not happen  so far pretty much a wash replace except not great blocker. , this Offense is made for the trio, we can't spend $$ on TE, maybe roll with a rookie next year, I would not resign Hurst if he wants more $$

Agree
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2022, 03:26 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I agree on $$ , but also the idea that Hurst was going blow open TE I figured would not happen  so far pretty much a wash replace except not great blocker. , this Offense is made for the trio, we can't spend $$ on TE, maybe roll with a rookie next year, I would not resign Hurst if he wants more $$

MAYBE if you account blocking, one can look at Hurst vs Uzomah as a wash

But in terms of being a receiving threat, Hurst has already looked more consistent than CJ did last year. Uzomah’s production would come from these 2 or 3 blow up games where he would rack up yards and touchdowns on limited catches

Hurst is proving he can have 5 catches per game for the ROS with touchdown upside
Reply/Quote
The Hurst contract looks to be good value thus far.

With that said, the Uzomah contract looks like a disaster for the Jets already (imagine that). Conklin, who's never been much help statistically as a TE, is drastically out performing Uzomah so far this year.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2022, 11:40 AM)ChaseThis Wrote: The Hurst contract looks to be good value thus far.

With that said, the Uzomah contract looks like a disaster for the Jets already (imagine that). Conklin, who's never been much help statistically as a TE, is drastically out performing Uzomah so far this year.

It will be interesting to see how the targets change for their WRs and TEs over the long haul now that Wilson is in over Flacco.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2022, 05:31 PM)Housh Wrote: Against Miami him, Wilcox and Asiasi had good blocking games. That’s one thing i noticed upon rewatch.

Saw the same, I think the TE room went from being pretty pedestrian to alright in 1 game and I really like Hayden, 
especially what he brings in the passing game, but I did see him make some good blocks last Thursday like you say
here Housh which is just bonus when this happens. He is clearly a better route runner and pass catcher at the TE 
position than what we had last year IMO.

And that was Uzo's best season of his career. He has done nothing in New York which just shows how good of a
move it was to move on from Uzo while adding Hurst for cheap.

(10-02-2022, 09:20 AM)Go Cards Wrote: 2022 stats

..........Uzomah............Hurst

Catches.......1...............14
Yards..........5................104
TD's............0................1
Targets........1................21

Hurst has an extra game though, but CJ does not seem to be proving himself in NY just yet. At double the cost as well and even when playing the Bengals defense which he knew inside and out. 

Think the Bengals made the right move by saving money at TE and putting it toward the O-line personally and probably upgraded in the process.

Woof, even more lopsided than I thought. Thanks for this Go Cards. Confirms what I have seen from my eye with 
Hurst and about the move we made in bringing him in over overpaying Uzo.

(10-02-2022, 11:11 AM)TheFan Wrote: I'm not saying Hurst is a great blocker because I don't think he is. But we can all find plays where the TE or even OL (especially with this line) missed a block which screwed a play. I remember it happening at times to CJ last year and Drew earlier this year. 

CJ had 3 years to be in the ZT system and get comfortable with Burrow as well. You would think Hurst will only continue to improve with time and continuity.

Yes, he should only get better as he gets more comfortable in the system and Burrow will watch the film and see him 
wide open lots of times. Which will open Burrow's eyes to not only target our big 3, even though Hurst still had the best
game of his season so far, it could of been much bigger of a game if Burrow found him a few more times when he was 
open against Miami.

(10-02-2022, 03:26 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I agree on $$ , but also the idea that Hurst was going blow open TE I figured would not happen  so far pretty much a wash replace except not great blocker. , this Offense is made for the trio, we can't spend $$ on TE, maybe roll with a rookie next year, I would not resign Hurst if he wants more $$

Those numbers this year show anything but a wash Essex. Clear upgrade is what the numbers show that Go Cards
provided. Better in every aspect but blocking and even then Hurst had a good game blocking last game at times.

(10-03-2022, 09:18 AM)pally Wrote: 2023 is a really good TE draft 

Rock On Love this stuff, thanks Pally.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2022, 11:04 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: MAYBE if you account blocking, one can look at Hurst vs Uzomah as a wash

But in terms of being a receiving threat, Hurst has already looked more consistent than CJ did last year. Uzomah’s production would come from these 2 or 3 blow up games where he would rack up yards and touchdowns on limited catches

Hurst is proving he can have 5 catches per game for the ROS with touchdown upside

I don;t see that difference you are seeing in Hurst,  also CJ 1/3 of his catches went for 20 yards and he shined when it matter most "playoffs", Hurst was supposed to be better as a WR and to this point not that big of a difference and when you count his below average blocking a wash in my opinion, hopefully we see more yardage production down the field.. as for  CJ  we had to let him go totally no way we can pay any TE much $$ in this system with our WRs... Hurst is a fine one year rental and if he wants to come back fine by not for much more than this year $$.  We should draft a TE 3-4 round for the future. 
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 01:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Saw the same, I think the TE room went from being pretty pedestrian to alright in 1 game and I really like Hayden, 
especially what he brings in the passing game, but I did see him make some good blocks last Thursday like you say
here Housh which is just bonus when this happens. He is clearly a better route runner and pass catcher at the TE 
position than what we had last year IMO.

And that was Uzo's best season of his career. He has done nothing in New York which just shows how good of a
move it was to move on from Uzo while adding Hurst for cheap.

Woof, even more lopsided than I thought. Thanks for this Go Cards. Confirms what I have seen from my eye with 
Hurst and about the move we made in bringing him in over overpaying Uzo.

Yes, he should only get better as he gets more comfortable in the system and Burrow will watch the film and see him 
wide open lots of times. Which will open Burrow's eyes to not only target our big 3, even though Hurst still had the best
game of his season so far, it could of been much bigger of a game if Burrow found him a few more times when he was 
open against Miami.

Those numbers this year show anything but a wash Essex. Clear upgrade is what the numbers show that Go Cards
provided. Better in every aspect but blocking and even then Hurst had a good game blocking last game at times.

Rock On Love this stuff, thanks Pally.

that is like saying no way we should have signed Hurst for the play he had last year compared to CJ... im comparing what CJ did for us and what Hurst was expected to move the bar up at TE but ive stated TEs would not be that big of a hit with this offense not with the trio WR we have.  CJ was a big play TE for us last year though, he had over 30 plus % catches over 20 yards and as stated before he shined when we needed it the most in the playoffs. 
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 04:47 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I don;t see that difference you are seeing in Hurst,  also CJ 1/3 of his catches went for 20 yards and he shined when it matter most "playoffs", Hurst was supposed to be better as a WR and to this point not that big of a difference and when you count his below average blocking a wash in my opinion, hopefully we see more yardage production down the field.. as for  CJ  we had to let him go totally no way we can pay any TE much $$ in this system with our WRs... Hurst is a fine one year rental and if he wants to come back fine by not for much more than this year $$.  We should draft a TE 3-4 round for the future. 

it's only been 4 games. You're going to see Hurst make those same big plays CJ did in 2021. He's a much better receiver than CJ is
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 04:51 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote:  he shined when we needed it the most in the playoffs. 

he played well against Vegas but that is absolutely it

Your love affair with Uzomah is interesting. How about Give Hurst more than 4 games before you start drooling over Uzomah. Jets fans right now can care less about the guy
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 07:19 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: he played well against Vegas but that is absolutely it

Your love affair with Uzomah is interesting. How about Give Hurst more than 4 games before you start drooling over Uzomah. Jets fans right now can care less about the guy

I think it is opposite u act like CJ was a bum, give him his due, what have against him he left for a nice payday, give it a rest and move on..
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 07:18 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: it's only been 4 games. You're going to see Hurst make those same big plays CJ did in 2021. He's a much better receiver than CJ is

CJs first 3 game last year; 4 catches, 39 yds, 0 TDs. His 4th game; 5 catches, 95 yds, 2 TDs. Total; 9 catches, 134 yds, 2 TDs. 
Hurst first 3 games ; 11 catches, 77 yds, 0 TDs. His 4th game; 3 catches, 27 yds, 1 TD. Total; 14 catches, 104 yds, 1 TD. 

It's only a "wash" if you look at raw stats, without context. CJ had an important role on the team last year but he's not near the consistent receiving threat that Hurst is. There have already been numerous times that Burrow has missed him open in the seam. I think, like you, he will continue to grow in the offense and provide more than CJ could have. 

He's never going to have the numbers that the top 10 TEs have due to the WR room the Bengals have but as soon as Burrow--or maybe better to say as Burrow--gets more comfortable in the pocket, he will be able to find Hurst more, for big gains. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 09:09 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: CJs first 3 game last year; 4 catches, 39 yds, 0 TDs. His 4th game; 5 catches, 95 yds, 2 TDs. Total; 9 catches, 134 yds, 2 TDs. 
Hurst first 3 games ; 11 catches, 77 yds, 0 TDs. His 4th game; 3 catches, 27 yds, 1 TD. Total; 14 catches, 104 yds, 1 TD. 

It's only a "wash" if you look at raw stats, without context. CJ had an important role on the team last year but he's not near the consistent receiving threat that Hurst is. There have already been numerous times that Burrow has missed him open in the seam. I think, like you, he will continue to grow in the offense and provide more than CJ could have. 

He's never going to have the numbers that the top 10 TEs have due to the WR room the Bengals have but as soon as Burrow--or maybe better to say as Burrow--gets more comfortable in the pocket, he will be able to find Hurst more, for big gains. 

to your point 4 games is a micro of a season, lets wait to see what happens at end of year.. also CJ was a big play TE, as i pointed out he had in the had over 30% of his catches go for 20 yards.. that was impressive and i can also remember times when he was also missed in the middle of field, i also stated when we signed Hurst if he was that much better of a TE , he should have about 1/4 to 1/3 more yards, catches and tds than CJ when all said and down.. im happy with Hurst for the $$ but a bit tired of people pushing CJ down it seems to raise Hurst.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 09:45 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: to your point 4 games is a micro of a season, lets wait to see what happens at end of year.. also CJ was a big play TE, as i pointed out he had in the had over 30% of his catches go for 20 yards.. that was impressive and i can also remember times when he was also missed in the middle of field, i also stated when we signed Hurst if he was that much better of a WR , he should have about 1/3 more yards, catches and tds than CJ when all said and down.. im happy with Hurst for the $$ but a bit tired of people pushing CJ down it seems to raise Hurst.

I haven't perceived it as people pushing CJ down as much as they're excited at what Hurst can bring to the team, being a better receiver with more upside. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 09:47 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I haven't perceived it as people pushing CJ down as much as they're excited at what Hurst can bring to the team, being a better receiver with more upside. 

**** CJ. He ran his mouth about us when he didn’t need to. And he’s been completely awful in NY so far. Maybe him and WJ3 can make an annual tradition of getting together to watch the Bengals in the playoffs from one of their couches.

Reply/Quote
I want to see this dude start going straight up the seams....  Enough with then 3 yard quick outs

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 10:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: **** CJ. He ran his mouth about us when he didn’t need to. And he’s been completely awful in NY so far. Maybe him and WJ3 can make an annual tradition of getting together to watch the Bengals in the playoffs from one of their couches.

Dude was a G as a Hype boy.... Barely serviceable TE

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 10:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: **** CJ. He ran his mouth about us when he didn’t need to. And he’s been completely awful in NY so far. Maybe him and WJ3 can make an annual tradition of getting together to watch the Bengals in the playoffs from one of their couches.

I say that about pretty much every ex-Bengal. lol

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 10:05 PM)jeremydc Wrote: Dude was a G as a Hype boy.... Barely serviceable TE

He was decent last year when he had a QB playing at an MVP level, but that season will likely be an outlier when it’s all said and done.

Reply/Quote
I'm hoping Hurst gets to play a bigger part. In the long run, the more Joe spreads the ball around, the less statistical leverage agents will have in pressing for insane contracts. I know that we need to succeed one way or another, but being smart by utilizing options never hurts.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2022, 11:40 AM)ChaseThis Wrote: The Hurst contract looks to be good value thus far.

Wonder what his targets are looking like. Don’t remember him getting many chances against us.

The CJ i know is a beast on 3rd down and a load to tackle. I seriously thought he’d be good for them

Only 4 games in so i won’t trip but…..it’s not like 4 games isn’t a good sample size
-Housh
Reply/Quote