Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Target Hurst
(10-08-2022, 12:01 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Wondering if the Jets feel like they're getting their monies worth out of CJ 

CJ might be a perfect example of Burrow making the player look good.  CJ does not catch balls away from his body, Joe is deadly accurate putting it on the numbers.  Whereas, Hurst has a a larger catch radius.  In CJ's defense he was never a pass catching TE, the Jets have that in Conklin.  I have no idea why they paid that number....?

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2022, 12:47 PM)casear2727 Wrote: According to CJ the number wasn't close, and everyone likes CJ - my point was more to the perceived "leadership" role which was actually a bunch of hype, and that isn't bad but some felt much of it was for the cameras.  Also, CJ is not great player which impacts credibility.  Ted Karras isn't great either but the team feels he is more genuine and is a leader.

I cant say the entire team feels this way, but a handful made it pretty clear. 

"perceived leadership" is exactly what I think.  When someone is not a vocal leader and hype guy during some down years, but is suddenly in front of every camera when the team is doing well and it's a contract year, it feels a little artificial.  He was fun to cheer with and for last year, I have no ill will against him, but he wasn't a guy like Whit who demonstrated his leadership year after year in the locker room and on the field.  

You need some of that hype to help keep guys in the moment, but it's definitely not worth what he was paid to go to NY. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2022, 12:14 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Lawson and CJ, from the Bengals to the Jets. I'll take Hendrickson and Hurst.

All day, every day, and twice on Sunday

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2022, 12:47 PM)casear2727 Wrote: According to CJ the number wasn't close, and everyone likes CJ - my point was more to the perceived "leadership" role which was actually a bunch of hype, and that isn't bad but some felt much of it was for the cameras.  Also, CJ is not great player which impacts credibility.  Ted Karras isn't great either but the team feels he is more genuine and is a leader.

Karrass not any good?
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
James Casey mentioned CJ got the contract he did is because he is a great blocker and adds soemthing to the passing game but he mentions Blocking is very important when looking at TEs.

Fans talk about receptions receptions but first thing you look at in an all around TE is blocking.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2022, 01:53 PM)Synric Wrote: James Casey mentioned CJ got the contract he did is because he is a great blocker and adds soemthing to the passing game but he mentions Blocking is very important when looking at TEs.

Fans talk about receptions receptions but first thing you look at in an all around TE is blocking.

That was true in the past but, with how pass-heavy the league is now, I feel like receiving takes big priority over blocking.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2022, 05:24 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: That was true in the past but, with how pass-heavy the league is now, I feel like receiving takes big priority over blocking.

This is a misnomer. We see alot of these "receiving TEs" but guys like Kelce see more time lined up at WR than TE. 

A true TE-Y needs to be versatile in todays NFL because they are a huge part blocking for the run game, picking up blitzes, and blocking for the screen game. They also need to be a reliable short yardage/play action receiver. Because the Bengals are dominated by 11 personnel formations they need a TE that can line up at the Y, F, and as a slot. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2022, 01:48 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Karrass not any good?

Ted is soild, I said he wasnt great. I love Ted, and he is a leader.  He has more credibility and respect than CJ had in the locker room.  Not that CJ wasnt liked.

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2022, 12:51 PM)casear2727 Wrote: CJ might be a perfect example of Burrow making the player look good.  CJ does not catch balls away from his body, Joe is deadly accurate putting it on the numbers.  Whereas, Hurst has a a larger catch radius.  In CJ's defense he was never a pass catching TE, the Jets have that in Conklin.  I have no idea why they paid that number....?
If joe raised the bar of CJ and Hurst is that much better in catch radius(not that I think what you say has factual prove) why have we not seen mark improvement at TE?
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2022, 01:53 PM)Synric Wrote: James Casey mentioned CJ got the contract he did is because he is a great blocker and adds soemthing to the passing game but he mentions Blocking is very important when looking at TEs.

Paying that much for a blocking TE is like spending a 2nd round pick on Drew Sample
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2022, 09:36 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: If joe raised the bar of CJ and Hurst is that much better in catch radius(not that I think what you say has factual prove) why have we not seen mark improvement at TE?

Im starting to think you dont actually watch games with these takes...  Hurst was open often in the early games - that is on Burrow.  And if you actually do watch the games go back you would have seen CJs drops - only when he has to extend his arms and use his hands.  Hurst has made so many more catches away from his body and is way better after the catch.  I actually watched Hayden previously not just the first few games that Burrow hasnt targeted him.

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2022, 08:57 AM)casear2727 Wrote: The fact that you dont see any difference in the play catching ability in CJ and Hurst is odd.  Totally different skill sets and athleticism, I find it hard to believe that anyone that has watched football cant notice the difference.

The Bengals and Jets both see it.

I also find it odd.

Looking at both of these TE's they are completely different in the way they play. Hurst is clearly more athletic and a crisper
route runner and is much more natural in catching passes. There is a reason this guy was a 1st round pick and Uzo was a 
mid rounder.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2022, 12:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I also find it odd.

Looking at both of these TE's they are completely different in the way they play. Hurst is clearly more athletic and a crisper
route runner and is much more natural in catching passes. There is a reason this guy was a 1st round pick and Uzo was a 
mid rounder.

Truth & I hope we can keep Hurst beyond this year. I bet he does well enough to get offseason interest from other teams.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2022, 12:47 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Truth & I hope we can keep Hurst beyond this year. I bet he does well enough to get offseason interest from other teams.

Yeah, said from the beginning the only problem I had with the pickup was it was only a one year deal.

Think he has his best year as a pro here and shows that first round talent finally in the pros. Could be a bit spendy on an 
extension. We will see if he takes a little less to stay here as we have to pay Burrow, Chase and Logan huge money soon.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2022, 12:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, said from the beginning the only problem I had with the pickup was it was only a one year deal.

Think he has his best year as a pro here and shows that first round talent finally in the pros. Could be a bit spendy on an 
extension. We will see if he takes a little less to stay here as we have to pay Burrow, Chase and Logan huge money soon.

I guess the positive perspective is it gives roster flexibility for next season. They don't have any money tied up in him.  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2022, 12:52 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I guess the positive perspective is it gives roster flexibility for next season. They don't have any money tied up in him.  Hilarious

True.

Plus, if he does leave for money after a nice season the next Draft is pretty loaded with talented pass catching TE's.

It's all good. Hopefully he gets a ring with us before he leaves lol
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2022, 12:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True.

Plus, if he does leave for money after a nice season the next Draft is pretty loaded with talented pass catching TE's.

It's all good. Hopefully he gets a ring with us before he leaves lol

I also think Burrow is going to make the TE look good, not the TE upping Burrow's performance. Thus, many TEs can be successful in this offense.
Reply/Quote

All I know was the staff was high on C J and hard to fool them but you are right he was not worth the price for sure.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2022, 09:36 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: If joe raised the bar of CJ and Hurst is that much better in catch radius(not that I think what you say has factual prove) why have we not seen mark improvement at TE?
[Image: n8nek1tlploa7goglbbz]

[Image: r1073376_1296x729_16-9.jpg]

You just dont know ball, do better.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 08:47 AM)casear2727 Wrote: [Image: n8nek1tlploa7goglbbz]

[Image: r1073376_1296x729_16-9.jpg]

You just dont know ball, do better.

No doubt. Dude was pretty damn good last night, love his effort, I doubt Uzo ever gets into the endzone like that.
Reply/Quote