Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Target Hurst
(10-05-2022, 11:28 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I'm hoping Hurst gets to play a bigger part. In the long run, the more Joe spreads the ball around, the less statistical leverage agents will have in pressing for insane contracts. I know that we need to succeed one way or another, but being smart by utilizing options never hurts.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk

I can’t blame him

On LSU he had 2 elite WRs and an elite college RB.

He has had issues involving his TE for a while imo. I thought Cj should’ve gotten more looks last year
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 04:51 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: that is like saying no way we should have signed Hurst for the play he had last year compared to CJ... im comparing what CJ did for us and what Hurst was expected to move the bar up at TE but ive stated TEs would not be that big of a hit with this offense not with the trio WR we have.  CJ was a big play TE for us last year though, he had over 30 plus % catches over 20 yards and as stated before he shined when we needed it the most in the playoffs. 

Go ahead and keep comparing. Uzo was overpaid by the Jets clearly and Hurst was a great deal for us is all I am saying.

Glad to have Hurst here over overpaying for Uzo who lately has pizzed me off with his tweets. Let alone him having nothing
to back them up as he cannot even win the #1 spot in New York over Conklin.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 07:19 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: he played well against Vegas but that is absolutely it

Your love affair with Uzomah is interesting. How about Give Hurst more than 4 games before you start drooling over Uzomah. Jets fans right now can care less about the guy

True. Mellow

(10-05-2022, 09:09 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: CJs first 3 game last year; 4 catches, 39 yds, 0 TDs. His 4th game; 5 catches, 95 yds, 2 TDs. Total; 9 catches, 134 yds, 2 TDs. 
Hurst first 3 games ; 11 catches, 77 yds, 0 TDs. His 4th game; 3 catches, 27 yds, 1 TD. Total; 14 catches, 104 yds, 1 TD. 

It's only a "wash" if you look at raw stats, without context. CJ had an important role on the team last year but he's not near the consistent receiving threat that Hurst is. There have already been numerous times that Burrow has missed him open in the seam. I think, like you, he will continue to grow in the offense and provide more than CJ could have. 

He's never going to have the numbers that the top 10 TEs have due to the WR room the Bengals have but as soon as Burrow--or maybe better to say as Burrow--gets more comfortable in the pocket, he will be able to find Hurst more, for big gains. 

Thanks Rfaulk for the numbers. Cannot wait to see what Burrow and Hurst accomplish over an entire season.

(10-05-2022, 09:47 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I haven't perceived it as people pushing CJ down as much as they're excited at what Hurst can bring to the team, being a better receiver with more upside. 

Yep.

(10-05-2022, 10:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: **** CJ. He ran his mouth about us when he didn’t need to. And he’s been completely awful in NY so far. Maybe him and WJ3 can make an annual tradition of getting together to watch the Bengals in the playoffs from one of their couches.

True that Nicomo lol  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
https://www.bengals.com/video/hayden-hurst-cincinnati-bengals-tight-end-feature
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 04:47 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I don;t see that difference you are seeing in Hurst,  also CJ 1/3 of his catches went for 20 yards and he shined when it matter most "playoffs", Hurst was supposed to be better as a WR and to this point not that big of a difference and when you count his below average blocking a wash in my opinion, hopefully we see more yardage production down the field.. as for  CJ  we had to let him go totally no way we can pay any TE much $$ in this system with our WRs... Hurst is a fine one year rental and if he wants to come back fine by not for much more than this year $$.  We should draft a TE 3-4 round for the future. 

It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the year looks and what Hurst is willing to take.  I was very much on the "let's try it for a year and see how it works out" wagon when we signed him, though I was definitely optimistic on how he'd perform.  So far I have no issues with his deal.  And if he's truly feeling like he's found "home" in Cincy, he might be willing to take a team-friendly deal to stick around.  

I haven't missed CJ once this year and honestly don't even give him a thought outside of people posting about his stats here from last season.  I think Hurst is fully capable of making the big plays, it's just not how they've been running the offense.  

CJ was loving being a vocal leader in the locker room and riding the high of the city's energy last year when he was in the middle of an exciting Super Bowl run.  Before last year, I don't remember him being that way, so it felt rather circumstantial, and maybe an angle on trying to secure the payday he wanted.  No problem at all with him going and getting paid, but it's rarely received well when a guy does that and then craps on the former team and city that supported him.  And nothing so far this year has made me wish the Bengals overpaid to keep him instead of bringing in Hurst. 

So sure, look at the draft to continue building young talent (as that should always be the goal, and especially with the payouts this team is going to have in a couple of years), but I don't think it's needed solely on the basis of Hurst underperforming. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hurst is not gonna be too thrilled with another team drafting an early round TE lol

that is if Cincy gives him another contract
Reply/Quote
I don't think the Bengals need to draft a TE early.. perhaps starting in round 4 they can take a shot.

The offense doesn't use the tight end right? So keep signing journeyman looking to make an impact they can get there next large contract elsewhere if they succeed.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
I’m perfectly fine with signing a different TE every year or drafting one fairly high. This offense isn’t gonna make or break itself no matter who is at TE
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2022, 03:05 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Hurst is not gonna be too thrilled with another team drafting an early round TE lol

that is if Cincy gives him another contract

Depends on the type of tight end. Hurst fills that H-Back/TE-F role but the Bengals really need a good all around TE-Y/F/H-Back. Kinda like TJ Hockenson, Pat Friermuth, and George Kittle.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
From how defenses have been playing the Bengals I understand that a productive pass catching TE could be a very good thing.

Hurst can produce if used properly.

I'm only concerned that if he is injured if the other backups can pick up the slack.

The limited "Drew Sample type TE" should be a rear-view mirror player for Taylor's offense.

No more of that crap.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2022, 07:10 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: From how defenses have been playing the Bengals I understand that a productive pass catching TE could be a very good thing.

Hurst can produce if used properly.

I'm only concerned that if he is injured if the other backups can pick up the slack.

The limited "Drew Sample type TE" should be a rear-view mirror player for Taylor's offense.

No more of that crap.

Iv never seen a guy billed as a blocking TE be so meh at blocking and still get PT.

Sample is still kinda young but i just haven’t seen it.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2022, 10:20 PM)Housh Wrote: Iv never seen a guy billed as a blocking TE be so meh at blocking and still get PT.

Sample is still kinda young but i just haven’t seen it.

Drew Sample had at least 3 blocking TD's for Joe Mixon last season from what I seen.

Guess you just haven't seen it Housh or maybe I am mistaken.

He was drafted too early and we all know it and he shouldn't be exposed to starting Ends like Myles Garrett.

But you should never do that with any TE.
Reply/Quote
I like Hurst a lot and I think as our offense gets clicking (hopefully soon) he will get more of those wide open looks that CJ got last year. First 4 games have been weird heck even Chase hasn't had a huge game yet. I think HH will prove he's much better than CJ as the season progresses.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 04:47 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I don;t see that difference you are seeing in Hurst,  also CJ 1/3 of his catches went for 20 yards and he shined when it matter most "playoffs", Hurst was supposed to be better as a WR and to this point not that big of a difference and when you count his below average blocking a wash in my opinion, hopefully we see more yardage production down the field.. as for  CJ  we had to let him go totally no way we can pay any TE much $$ in this system with our WRs... Hurst is a fine one year rental and if he wants to come back fine by not for much more than this year $$.  We should draft a TE 3-4 round for the future. 

The fact that you dont see any difference in the play catching ability in CJ and Hurst is odd.  Totally different skill sets and athleticism, I find it hard to believe that anyone that has watched football cant notice the difference.

The Bengals and Jets both see it.

Reply/Quote
Hurst is definitely a more dynamic receiver than C J. We’ve mentioned Uzomah’s intangibles. They count. Overall I think it’s a wash.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2022, 09:12 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Hurst is definitely a more dynamic receiver than C J. We’ve mentioned Uzomah’s intangibles. They count. Overall I think it’s a wash.

CJ's intangibles were liked more by the fans than his teammates... not to say anyone disliked him, but the eye rolls were prevalent.  

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2022, 09:22 AM)casear2727 Wrote: CJ's intangibles were liked more by the fans than his teammates... not to say anyone disliked him, but the eye rolls were prevalent.  

Don’t know about his teammates but I absolutely know the staff had hoped to keep him but financially it didn’t make sense.

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2022, 09:22 AM)casear2727 Wrote: CJ's intangibles were liked more by the fans than his teammates... not to say anyone disliked him, but the eye rolls were prevalent.  

Wondering if the Jets feel like they're getting their monies worth out of CJ 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2022, 12:01 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Wondering if the Jets feel like they're getting their monies worth out of CJ 

Lawson and CJ, from the Bengals to the Jets. I'll take Hendrickson and Hurst.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2022, 10:27 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Don’t know about his teammates but I absolutely know the staff had hoped to keep him but financially it didn’t make sense.

According to CJ the number wasn't close, and everyone likes CJ - my point was more to the perceived "leadership" role which was actually a bunch of hype, and that isn't bad but some felt much of it was for the cameras.  Also, CJ is not great player which impacts credibility.  Ted Karras isn't great either but the team feels he is more genuine and is a leader.

I cant say the entire team feels this way, but a handful made it pretty clear. 

Reply/Quote