Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Team captains?
When do they typically name the captains each year? With only a few days left until the first game I’m surprised they haven’t been announced yet.

I think Burrow definitely gets a C. I’m most curious if Mixon or any of the new guys (Reader/Bell) gets one.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 11:12 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: When do they typically name the captains each year? With only a few days left until the first game I’m surprised they haven’t been announced yet.

I think Burrow definitely gets a C. I’m most curious if Mixon or any of the new guys (Reader/Bell) gets one.

I would be shocked if Burrow was named captain.
Reply/Quote
Carlos is one I bet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 11:14 AM)PDub80 Wrote: I would be shocked if Burrow was named captain.

Really? “Shocked?” They straight up asked him to be part of the statement they just made at the Freedom Center. It’s clear they want him to be a leader on and off the field. And everything we’ve heard out of camp sounds like he’s already got the respect of the team.

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 11:22 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Really? “Shocked?” They straight up asked him to be part of the statement they just made at the Freedom Center. It’s clear they want him to be a leader on and off the field. And everything we’ve heard out of camp sounds like he’s already got the respect of the team.

I agree with the last sentence.  I think the team feels he has already become a leader of the team, as demonstrated by asking him to read part of the statement.  

My guess for captains:
Hopkins and Burrow on offense, Hubbard and Atkins on defense and Bernard on teams (assuming he has won the role of personal protector for Huber).
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 11:32 AM)Jason_NC Wrote: I agree with the last sentence.  I think the team feels he has already become a leader of the team, as demonstrated by asking him to read part of the statement.  

My guess for captains:
Hopkins and Burrow on offense, Hubbard and Atkins on defense and Bernard on teams (assuming he has won the role of personal protector for Huber).

I’d love to see Hubbard get one.

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 11:22 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Really? “Shocked?” They straight up asked him to be part of the statement they just made at the Freedom Center. It’s clear they want him to be a leader on and off the field. And everything we’ve heard out of camp sounds like he’s already got the respect of the team.

Shocked is not the same as disagreeing with it. I think asking the big time, 1st round QB to speak, out front and center, in a team statement makes a lot of sense. Team captain makes sense, too, but I see that going to a veteran player before the rookie QB.  Gio, AJ, Boyd, Hopkins, CJ I could see getting the C before Burrow just because they've been there and that is something the team maybe sees as earned over time?

We shall see. It would certainly say a lot if they did name him captian!
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 11:42 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Shocked is not the same as disagreeing with it. I think asking the big time, 1st round QB to speak, out front and center, in a team statement makes a lot of sense. Team captain makes sense, too, but I see that going to a veteran player before the rookie QB.  Gio, AJ, Boyd, Hopkins, CJ I could see getting the C before Burrow just because they've been there and that is something the team maybe sees as earned over time?

We shall see. It would certainly say a lot if they did name him captian!

Burrow might not be a captain right off the bat, but I certainly wouldn’t be surprised if he is. I actually think it’s likely. Mixon is another candidate. Especially now with his deal done.

Reply/Quote
They had 6 last year...
(D) Geno Atkins
(D) Shawn Williams
(O) Andy Dalton
(O) AJ Green
(O)Giovani Bernard
(ST) Clayton Fejedelem

So my guess would be....
(D) Geno Atkins
(D) Shawn Williams
(O) AJ Green
(O) Giovani Bernard
(O) Joe Mixon
(ST) Alex Erickson

Maybe swap out Mixon for Dunlap or Hubbard? I think it's a safe bet that anyone who was already a Captain is still going to be one. Normally don't remove that C from them once they get it until they leave the team. So it's basically a question of who gets Dalton's C and who gets Fej's C. Easy to assume Fej's C will go to someone on ST. If not Erickson, maybe Brandon Wilson?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I wonder if Shawn Williams keeps his even if he’s not a starter? I guess he probably would.

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 11:57 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: They had 6 last year...
(D) Geno Atkins
(D) Shawn Williams
(O) Andy Dalton
(O) AJ Green
(O)Giovani Bernard
(ST) Clayton Fejedelem

So my guess would be....
(D) Geno Atkins
(D) Shawn Williams
(O) AJ Green
(O) Giovani Bernard
(O) Joe Mixon
(ST) Alex Erickson

Maybe swap out Mixon for Dunlap or Hubbard? I think it's a safe bet that anyone who was already a Captain is still going to be one. Normally don't remove that C from them once they get it until they leave the team. So it's basically a question of who gets Dalton's C and who gets Fej's C. Easy to assume Fej's C will go to someone on ST. If not Erickson, maybe Brandon Wilson?
WTH was AJ Captain of? The hoodie wearers? 

As to the OP:

I'd like to see Hopkins on O Geno on D.

Geno could have opted out with a pregnant wife and no one could have blamed him, but he's shown his dedication to the team. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
With what the players and coaches have said about him along with the position he plays I think Bynes will be one of the D captains.
Reply/Quote
IMHO, a Captain spot needs to be earned. It serves as example to every single member of the team of what it is expected. I don't like the idea of giving a rookie that patch. I think undermines what it is it's supposed to represent.

Joe Burrow may very well end up being the leader of this offense by year's end. And by the nature of his position he kind of already is. But I don't think that's enough.

If I were a veteran I would probably being doing a double-take if a rookie were to be awarded that honor. I'm not sure that would sit well with some guys.

Keep in mind he's still at the stage where he (along with the rest of his class) would be typically made to perform in skits to entertain the vets, and to carry luggage, etc.

To each their own, but I hope Burrow isn't given the C just yet.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 11:12 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: When do they typically name the captains each year? With only a few days left until the first game I’m surprised they haven’t been announced yet.

Last year they were announced on Wed before game 1

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote

I for one would so love to see MR. Joe Mixon get the big C on his chest.IF he stays healthy he is going to light up the NFL. Being named one of the captains would just be awesome for him and he would just love that.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 11:32 AM)Jason_NC Wrote: I agree with the last sentence.  I think the team feels he has already become a leader of the team, as demonstrated by asking him to read part of the statement.  

My guess for captains:

This is who I think will be the Captains. We think alike Jason NC. Smirk
Reply/Quote
Captains announced:
Vonn Bell
Gio
Burrow
Bynes
Green
Huber
Shawn Williams
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 12:24 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Captains announced:
Vonn Bell
Gio
Burrow
Bynes
Green
Huber
Shawn Williams

It's good to see some new blood in there. Two free agents who are (hopefully) going to be positive contributors and are apparently stepping up to lead as well.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 12:24 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Captains announced:
Vonn Bell
Gio
Burrow
Bynes
Green
Huber
Shawn Williams

Love the additions of Bell, Bynes, and Burrow...speaks volumes to how they have been practicing with their new team.  A little surprised at Shawn Williams...and even Green, given their health this year (and last for Green).

Only Green and Burrow on offense....Gio is ST.  Interesting.  
Reply/Quote
Surprised Mixon didn’t get one, but I love that they’re already all in on Burrow.

Reply/Quote