Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Team held WR Free Agent Workout
The name that caught my attention was Dede Westbrook who was of interest last year before he signed with Minnesota. He had a tryouy with Miami earlier this week

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Sweet, at least they're kicking the tires.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I remember liking Dede when he was with the Jags.... no clue who the other players are so I won't comment
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
I’ll handle one of the unknown guys If someone looks the other 3 up.

Dazz Newsome ran a 4.3 in the 2021 combine so he’s a speed guy. Broke his collarbone at some point in 2021 which kinda ruined his career. Made it back to an active roster for 3 games but couldn’t hang around with anyone this off-season.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/dazz-newsome/32004e45-5755-6353-3b58-0786107557cf

Seems to be an athlete 1st WR with poor catching technique but If you could get him the ball he’s very good after the catch. Has returner ability too but I’m sure we would’ve already worked him out if we cared about his dual threat ability, to return kicks and catch. He’s not a better WR than Dede so unless he’s got some more skills idk what he could do for us. Stealing Pryor off the Jags squad would appease me more

Addition: Looked more into him and his 4.3 40 was an error. A largely documented error. He’s actually a 4.59 guy which makes him not really an elite athlete.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2022, 07:56 PM)Housh Wrote: I’ll handle one of the unknown guys If someone looks the other 3 up.

Dazz Newsome ran a 4.3 in the 2021 combine so he’s a speed guy. Broke his collarbone at some point in 2021 which kinda ruined his career. Made it back to an active roster for 3 games but couldn’t hang around with anyone this off-season.

Seems to be an athlete 1st WR with poor catching technique but If you could get him the ball he’s very good after the catch. Has returner ability too but I’m sure we would’ve already worked him out if we cared about his dual threat ability, to return kicks and catch. He’s not a better WR than Dede so unless he’s got some more skills idk what he could do for us. Stealing Pryor off the Jags squad would appease me more

Addition: Looked more into him and his 4.3 40 was an error. A largely documented error. He’s actually a 4.59 guy which makes him not really an elite athlete.

Crazy that in today’s world 4.59 is ho hum.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Victor Bolden is 27. Her played at Oregon State and signed with San Francisco as an UDFA. He returned some kicks in 2017 but ended the season on IR. Was suspended 4 games in 2018 for PED violations. He was waived upon his return and was ultimately signed to the PS. He has since spent time on the PS of Buffalo and Detroit with no meaningful playing time

He then went to the USFL where he was named to the all-USFL team as both a WR and a special teamer. Afterward, he signed with Arizona and ended up on their PS where he was ultimately placed on PS/IR

He's small 5'8" and 178lbs

Reply/Quote
The Carman for Marshall trade idea is solid… I thought the Panthers were trying to tank? Come on, do it !

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2022, 07:56 PM)Housh Wrote: I’ll handle one of the unknown guys If someone looks the other 3 up.

I thought Pryor was on their Jags 53 man roster, if so we have to trade for him .

If Westbrook is healthy, he could be nice 4th WR or we try and get Pryor back via trade who knows the offense.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

Dede Westbrook is probably the most well know out of all of these. He wad a stud out of Oklahoma who put up over 1500 yards and 17 touchdowns in his second year (4th in Heisman) before declaring. He ran a 4.39 40 and was drafted in the 4th round by the Jags. He was projected 2nd-4th round so fell a bit towards his floor.

He started his rookie year on IR but came back the second half and was their leading receiver in the playoffs (this is a Blake Bortles team so that means 48 yards.)

In 2018 he lead the Jags in most WR categories 
In 2019 he fell off a little bit but still put up 660 yards with 66 receptions. 

In 2020 he tore his ACL and hasn't done much since. He was on the Vikings in 2021 but only had 15 targets and tried out with Miami in 2022.

His first 3 years he put up 1716 yards and 9 touchdowns. The past 2 he has put up 72 yards and 0 TDs
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2022, 08:07 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Crazy that in today’s world 4.59 is ho hum.

Well, when you're 5'10" 185 it sux. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
No matter who we sign, they will likely be more of a special teams player, as Mike Thomas and Trent Taylor will probably be taking more offensive snaps. So just sign someone, who really cares, you know? We're very unlikely to get a guy off the street who will be better than Thomas or Taylor in this offense, especially in just 4 weeks with the team. Why not just bring up Lassiter from the practice squad?
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2022, 02:46 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: No matter who we sign, they will likely be more of a special teams player, as Mike Thomas and Trent Taylor will probably be taking more offensive snaps.   So just sign someone, who really cares, you know? We're very unlikely to get a guy off the street who will be better than Thomas or Taylor in this offense, especially in just 4 weeks with the team. Why not just bring up Lassiter from the practice squad?

This kind of assumption is so silly to me this staff and FO have time and time again dipped into FA to replace guys on the roster.  I assume if they sign someone it is with the intention of getting them up to speed ASAP to contribute on offense. 

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2022, 02:46 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: No matter who we sign, they will likely be more of a special teams player, as Mike Thomas and Trent Taylor will probably be taking more offensive snaps. So just sign someone, who really cares, you know? We're very unlikely to get a guy off the street who will be better than Thomas or Taylor in this offense, especially in just 4 weeks with the team. Why not just bring up Lassiter from the practice squad?

They are more likely to promote Trent Irwin than Kwamie Lassiter, in my opinion. Irwin has game experience

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2022, 04:46 AM)pally Wrote: They are more likely to promote Trent Irwin than Kwamie Lassiter, in my opinion. Irwin has game experience

This is the most likely route they take.

I just don't think it's very wise long term.

They need to prepare for the worst, instead of hoping for the best scenario.

Oh well.  Someday fools will learn.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2022, 02:46 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: No matter who we sign, they will likely be more of a special teams player, as Mike Thomas and Trent Taylor will probably be taking more offensive snaps. So just sign someone, who really cares, you know? We're very unlikely to get a guy off the street who will be better than Thomas or Taylor in this offense, especially in just 4 weeks with the team. Why not just bring up Lassiter from the practice squad?

I do not trust Mike Thomas to do any pass catching

Isn’t that the dude that cowered like a ***** on that TD catch that one game?
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2022, 04:46 AM)pally Wrote: They are more likely to promote Trent Irwin than Kwamie Lassiter, in my opinion. Irwin has game experience

Eggzactly

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2022, 07:45 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: This is the most likely route they take.

I just don't think it's very wise long term.

They need to prepare for the worst, instead of hoping for the best scenario.

Oh well.  Someday fools will learn.

We saw them for about 45 minutes over 3 pre-season games.  The coaches have seen them play in every practice. As much as we would like to see one player or another, I am willing to concede the coaches probably have a better idea of who is better to fill a role on the roster on any given Sunday

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2022, 09:59 AM)pally Wrote: We saw them for about 45 minutes over 3 pre-season games.  The coaches have seen them play in every practice. As much as we would like to see one player or another, I am willing to concede the coaches probably have a better idea of who is better to fill a role on the roster on any given Sunday

Oh, I don't deny that.

My guess would be Thomas fills in for Chase routes and T. Taylor/Irwin cover the rest.

I just don't think any of them are the answer if the Chase injury lingers or if anyone else misses time.
Reply/Quote
Is anybody else worried if we were to lose Boyd/Higgins or even Hurst?

Not much depth in that TE room.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2022, 08:36 PM)jeremydc Wrote: The Carman for Marshall trade idea is solid… I thought the Panthers were trying to tank? Come on, do it !

We would likely have to throw in a pick, and the Bengals are very leery of doing that.  I, for one, would love the 6'3" speedy Marshall on the team, though.  

I don't care about his lack of success in Carolina.  That is where offenses go to die.  
Reply/Quote