Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teen girl in Columbus killed by police
(04-21-2021, 11:23 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I appreciate the responses. I tried not to pose any of my comments as suggesting there was any criminality in the officer's response, because I don't believe there was. I understand the rationale.

My perspective as a teacher obviously skews my belief in what are available responses to a situation like this, which is why I asked the questions that I did. I think when the footage becomes more widespread and the idea that this was "revenge" isn't able to hold any water, the dialogue will shift into the direction of response.

Hopefully it will also focus on safety standards in the foster system too and ask why the multiple adults around the girl did not do anything. After she pushes the first girl, one of the adults (the one who says "She is a ***** kid") kicks the first girl in the head as she is getting up. I think some responsible needs to fall on the adults who enabled the fighting and even seemed to join in.

I certainly hear horror stories about the foster system and even the child welfare departments.  I just watched the Netflix doc on Gabriel Fernandez, and a whole bunch of people messed up.  As far as foster parents, I'm guessing the vast majority do a very good job, but way too many shouldn't be given a child.  The fact that these kids are in the foster system means they've already experienced something terrible.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 09:52 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I bet 9.5 out of 10 people who whine and cry about these cops killing these "poor, innocent" people wouldn't last a whole day in some of these neighborhoods. I would LOVE to see some of these pols and "news" anchors put on a uniform and go patrol some of these neighborhoods. Now that is some reality TV I would actually watch!

If you don't want shot by the po po , then make better decisions and cooperate.

The neighborhood in this particular instance is far from one of the worst areas in Columbus. That really has nothing to do with this incident. I really don't know what else the officer involved was supposed to do either. It's an unfortunate incident that happened at an unfortunate time. I'm not even sure it'd be much of a story if it happened last week, and there certainly was a rush to report it yesterday.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
This situation strikes me as a 'play stupid games, win stupid prizes' scenario.
Reply/Quote
That's a damn failure as a democracy when you shoot the kids you are supposed to raise.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 02:23 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: That's a damn failure as a democracy when you shoot the kids you are supposed to raise.

It's a failure of parenthood when your kids start trying to stab each other. How is anything that happened here laid at the feet of Democracy?
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 02:24 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: It's a failure of parenthood when your kids start trying to stab each other. How is anything that happened here laid at the feet of Democracy?

She's a foster kid, she hasn't any parenthood ... 

Maybe a social program for completely abandoned kids would be worth the try but meh ... yeah, shoot the kids.

Whatever.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 02:28 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: She's a foster kid, she hasn't any parenthood ... 

Maybe a social program for completely abandoned kids would be worth the try but meh ... yeah, shoot the kids.

Whatever.

I can agree that this is a failure of our social programs, but the shooting was 100% appropriate given the information the police were presented with.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 02:53 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I can agree that this is a failure of our social programs, but the shooting was 100% appropriate given the information the police were presented with.

That's a twist of the mind. A shooting is NEVER appropriated. This is the last ever solution. 

Violence is made of anger.
Anger is a mask for pain.

This is a call for help.

And the first mission of Police is to help not to kill.

And 80% of you guys praise a guy called Jesus Christ, I just can't ***** get it. 

But as I said before. Whatever. One more, one less, as soon as it isn't someone you know or love, who cares ? 

She was a foster kid, noone will miss her. 

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 03:17 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: That's a twist of the mind. A shooting is NEVER appropriated. This is the last ever solution. 

This is a call for help.

And 80% of you guys praise a guy called Jesus Christ, I just can't ***** get it. 

But as I said before. Whatever. One more, one less, as soon as it isn't someone you know or love, who cares ? 

So let her stab the other kid to death and then hold her in his arms while trying to comfort her pain?
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 03:17 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: That's a twist of the mind. A shooting is NEVER appropriated. This is the last ever solution. 

This is a call for help.

The young woman who was shot by police was in the act of trying to stab another person. Police were helping, they were ending a threat. The situation is unfortunate, but that is the role of police in our society.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 03:29 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: The young woman who was shot by police was in the act of trying to stab another person. Police were helping, they were ending a threat. The situation is unfortunate, but that is the role of police in our society.

If your philosophy is that one kid dead on the ground is "helping" then OK.

I don't live with so much violence on daily basis so I can't argue with that.

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 09:08 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: A fight, holding a knife, and running towards another child.

I'll look for the video, but I'm gonna be hard pressed to entirely fault an officer on this one.

(04-21-2021, 09:44 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: This isn't an instance of murder, but should we train officers to not immediately kill a child in that situation? 

Training is a big piece of the puzzle, but from the info available in the op, it sounds like the officer thought he was saving someone from injury. Dude may have saved somebody's life. I don't see how anyone could fault him for that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 03:21 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: So let her stab the other kid to death and then hold her in his arms while trying to comfort her pain?

You don't give a damn about the other kid who might well be a criminal too. Don't pretend to. 

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 03:51 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: If your philosophy is that one kid dead on the ground is "helping" then OK.

I don't live with so much violence on daily basis so I can't argue with that.

The way the scenario looked to the police you were going to have an unarmed kid dead on the ground from stabbing, or an armed kid dead on the ground that tried to stab the other kid.

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 02:28 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: She's a foster kid, she hasn't any parenthood ... 

Whatever.

Kids don't just spring up. And a parent isn't always who birthed you (see: adoptions, step parents). 

Those kids had a lot of parental figures fail them.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 03:59 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: You don't give a damn about the other kid who might well be a criminal too. Don't pretend to. 

Bro, what the hell is your problem?
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 02:28 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: She's a foster kid, she hasn't any parenthood ... 

Not true.  Her dad is supposedly in the video.  (He's apparently the one stomping on the girl's head who is on the ground.)
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 03:59 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: You don't give a damn about the other kid who might well be a criminal too. Don't pretend to. 

You don't know that at all and you're way out of line saying it.
Reply/Quote
I am literally stunned by this tweet by Lebron James.

https://twitter.com/KingJames/status/1384951673530068994

Utterly reprehensible.
Reply/Quote

The other kid might be a criminal also, but she was about to possibly be murdered.  You cannot just let that happen.
Reply/Quote