Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Telling quote from Carson Palmer
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/05-still-alive/fbadda16-647c-4e8d-abda-876a97415b47

Palmer has apparently answered the question a lot of us have been wondering for nearly five years: why did you leave the Bengals? Many thought it had a lot to do with the fan base. It appears as if that wasn't the case:

Palmer’s exit has been well documented. He demanded a trade before the 2011 season with four years left on his deal and sat out until they shipped him to Oakland in October and the Bengals haven’t missed the playoffs since. Palmer wasn’t happy with what he called “a lack of offseason moves,’ during his tenure, although the same administration has built a team that has averaged 10 wins since they drafted Andy Dalton to replace him.

“The Bengals have phenomenal fans. Everybody thought I had a problem with the fans,” Palmer says. “That was the biggest misconception. I get back to Cincinnati three times a year. I take my kids hunting there. I loved it there. There was only one thing. I had ideas on ways we could improve and ownership didn’t agree and that was the end of it.”

Well there we have it. Question answered... Although I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there were more to it that Carson's not telling us.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 04:37 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/05-still-alive/fbadda16-647c-4e8d-abda-876a97415b47

Palmer has apparently answered the question a lot of us have been wondering for nearly five years: why did you leave the Bengals? Many thought it had a lot to do with the fan base. It appears as if that wasn't the case:

Palmer’s exit has been well documented. He demanded a trade before the 2011 season with four years left on his deal and sat out until they shipped him to Oakland in October and the Bengals haven’t missed the playoffs since. Palmer wasn’t happy with what he called “a lack of offseason moves,’ during his tenure, although the same administration has built a team that has averaged 10 wins since they drafted Andy Dalton to replace him.

“The Bengals have phenomenal fans. Everybody thought I had a problem with the fans,” Palmer says. “That was the biggest misconception. I get back to Cincinnati three times a year. I take my kids hunting there. I loved it there. There was only one thing. I had ideas on ways we could improve and ownership didn’t agree and that was the end of it.”

Well there we have it. Question answered... Although I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there were more to it that Carson's not telling us.

Well, good.  Maybe now people can finally stop saying the fans ran him out of town.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 04:37 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/05-still-alive/fbadda16-647c-4e8d-abda-876a97415b47

Not too surprising. Reporters asked him back in 12 before the Oakland game. He said ownership before abruptly stopping and saying he didn't want to answer the question. I'm pretty sure the Bratkowski firing was an attempt to get him to come back. Carson had mentioned something about coaching changes after the 07 season.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Do you guys think it was only about coaches or about players as well? Do you think he maybe was against the T.O. signing and wanted Chad gone as well?
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 04:54 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Do you guys think it was only about coaches or about players as well? Do you think he maybe was against the T.O. signing and wanted Chad gone as well?

I'm pretty sure Carson lobbied for TO. He worked out with him before we signed him. I don't know about Chad. They seemed inseparable in the beginning, but then things seemed strained after the Ochocinco character came out.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 04:54 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Do you guys think it was only about coaches or about players as well? Do you think he maybe was against the T.O. signing and wanted Chad gone as well?

If I remember right, he was working out with TO in the spring/summer before the team decided to sign him.
Reply/Quote

I think we all knew this deep down. Palmer was a bit of a diva whether people want to hear that or not. You never see guys like Peyton Manning or Drew Brees whining when things go badly. They simply put in their best effort day in and day out.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 05:06 PM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: I think we all knew this deep down. Palmer was a bit of a diva whether people want to hear that or not. You never see guys like Peyton Manning or Drew Brees whining when things go badly. They simply put in their best effort day in and day out.

Disagree.

Ask Brees how he feels about the Jimmy Graham and Darren sproles trades and the team moving on from some of their better linemen.

Oh well. It's ancient history.
Reply/Quote

Neither. Everyone knows it was 'cause of the Gatorade.

Mellow

Seriously, though, I've always thought the coaches. I don't remember the year and I can't find the article, but Carson got asked why they weren't going deep (I think it was in '06 or '07) and he said he really didn't know, that they had the team for it, that the OC (Brat) had the plays for it, that he wanted to and that the OC wanted to. And that was just the end of it. It didn't go into any insight as to why they weren't.

Then and now, I took that to mean Marvin or Mike wanted to  go with more running, shorter passes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Off season moves= Marvin fired= Palmer stays
Off season moves=re-sign Marvin= Palmer quits

Don't believe me...Go look at the timeline...I believe Palmer came and talked to the Browns about a week or two after Marvin was extended and demanded the trade
Reply/Quote
We were far more active in free agency then then we are now (that we have to save money constantly for future contracts). The issue wasn't activity in free agency, it was maybe the people we brought in. However, during the Palmer era, we were quite active. Hiring a lot of his "buddies" like T.O.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 05:06 PM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: I think we all knew this deep down. Palmer was a bit of a diva whether people want to hear that or not. You never see guys like Peyton Manning or Drew Brees whining when things go badly. They simply put in their best effort day in and day out.

Eh?

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/update/25212809
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2014-10-24/peyton-manning-broncos-scoreboard-operator-fans-loud-philip-rivers-video
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/lopresti/2006-01-15-lopresti-colts_x.htm
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000069343/article/drew-brees-selfishness-to-blame-for-new-orleans-saints-start

Maybe you don't see it as much because you don't follow their teams, but every QB vents during down games/years.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 05:01 PM)CoCoNuT Wrote: If I remember right, he was working out with TO in the spring/summer before the team decided to sign him.

The TO singing was one of the only things that went right that year.  I don't know why people are so quick to blame a #2 WR who scored 9 TDs and almost hit 1,000 yards.  Sure the guy has issues, but he did his job and kept his mouth shut here, so there is no shame in lobbying for TO circa 2010.  I can't be sure of it, but my best guess was the lack of accountability for Mike Brown (obviously...can't expect him to have any), Marvin Lewis, Bob Bratkowski, and possibly others.  I don't quite recall the specifics of the timing but it seemed like Marvin Lewis got his extension and Carson said "I'm out."

It's possible Carson said "It's Marvin or me" and the parties involved made their choice.  Perhaps I'm seeing what I want to see, but I see the issue as coaching over all else because 05 and 09 were playoff years due in decent part to the no-huddle and/or 2 minute drill (things that circumnavigate the coaches' involvement) and Carson's resurgence under Bruce Arians who is obviously a very good coach.
Reply/Quote
I remember a reporter asking Carson if he thought the Bengals could win with the current coaches in place (this was after 2008) and he said "no". It was unusually bold for Palmer to say that.

When Marv was brought back after 2010, Palmer was asked for his thoughts and said "no comment". It seems pretty clear to me that his problem was with either Marv or Brat. Or both.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

I think he had another younger brother about to graduate and Katie read somewhere that most teams dont keep 3 QB's
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 05:11 PM)Benton Wrote: Neither. Everyone knows it was 'cause of the Gatorade.

Mellow

Seriously, though, I've always thought the coaches. I don't remember the year and I can't find the article, but Carson got asked why they weren't going deep (I think it was in '06 or '07) and he said he really didn't know, that they had the team for it, that the OC (Brat) had the plays for it, that he wanted to and that the OC wanted to. And that was just the end of it. It didn't go into any insight as to why they weren't.

Then and now, I took that to mean Marvin or Mike wanted to  go with more running, shorter passes.

I remember after the 2007 season Marvin got a little power happy and decided to "blow it all up" and start over... Sadly, He was talking about the team as a whole. The defense desperately needed a shakeup, but the offense? Couldn't tell ya why... It's no coincidence that the offensive powerhouse we had started to dwindle during the 2008 season. You could see that the playcalling had become far more conservative and the team started playing "defensive football". I hated it... That offense was built to score 30+ a game, not bleed the clock dry after getting a 14 point lead in the first quarter.

Marvin loves that kind of football though. I'll never forget after we swept the AFC north at Pittsburgh in 09... It was one of the ugliest offensive performances I had ever seen (I think we settled for 5 or 6 field goals in that game?). Marvin was quoted after the game calling it one of his favorite games he had ever coached... REALLY!? :snark:

Ill never blame Carson for wanting out. Why stick with a team who flatout refuses to play to your strengths?
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 05:43 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: I remember after the 2007 season Marvin got a little power happy and decided to "blow it all up" and start over... Sadly, He was talking about the team as a whole. The defense desperately needed a shakeup, but the offense? Couldn't tell ya why... It's no coincidence that the offensive powerhouse we had started to dwindle during the 2008 season. You could see that the playcalling had become far more conservative and the team started playing "defensive football". I hated it... That offense was built to score 30+ a game, not bleed the clock dry after getting a 14 point lead in the first quarter.  

Marvin loves that kind of football though. I'll never forget after we swept the AFC north at Pittsburgh in 09... It was one of the ugliest offensive performances I had ever seen (I think we settled for 5 or 6 field goals in that game?). Marvin was quoted after the game calling it one of his favorite games he had ever coached... REALLY!?  :snark:  

Ill never blame Carson for wanting out. Why stick with a team who flatout refuses to play to your strengths?

I will.  Especially when a year later they draft AJ Green in the first round.  
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 06:08 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: I will.  Especially when a year later they draft AJ Green in the first round.  

After that January day Carson made his demand, the organization did everyhging in their power to get him to come back that offseason. Drafting AJ, firing Brat, letting TO walk and trading Chad, etc... But Carson made his demand almost immediately after the infamous "Press Conference"... The re-hiring of Marv at that press conference was easily the most infuriating day I've endured as a bengals fan. MB made it blatantly obvious he had no intentions of changing. I even said on the old boards that I'll never blame anyone (fan or player) for walking away from Mike Browns Bengals that day. Carson was one of them... More power to him for sticking to his guns and not coming back after all the efforts to appease him. If the organizatjon had let the right person go, maybe Carson would be here throwing bombs to AJ and Co. And we'd have a playoff win or two by now...
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 06:21 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: After that January day Carson made his demand, the organization did everyhging in their power to get him to come back that offseason. Drafting AJ, firing Brat, letting TO walk and trading Chad, etc... But Carson made his demand almost immediately after the infamous "Press Conference"... The re-hiring of Marv at that press conference was easily the most infuriating day I've endured as a bengals fan. MB made it blatantly obvious he had no intentions of changing. I even said on the old boards that I'll never blame anyone (fan or player) for walking away from Mike Browns Bengals that day. Carson was one of them... More power to him for sticking to his guns and not coming back after all the efforts to appease him. If the organizatjon had let the right person go, maybe Carson would be here throwing bombs to AJ and Co. And we'd have a playoff win or two by now...

Maybe.  Maybe not.  He didn't win many games throwing to Chad, TO, and Housh.  
Reply/Quote
Why would anybody believe a word this guy says?

If memory serves the preseason before he quit was the preseason of the lockout (moves couldn't be made).
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote