Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Texas Law That Bans Abortion Before Many Women Know They're Pregnant Takes Effect
(09-09-2021, 07:10 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Ehh, maybe not?  The percentage in that graph aligns pretty much around the percentage of the US population of that ethnicity.  The exception being the percentage of black women, who are represented at around four time the rate of their population percentage of around 7%, or twice the 14% of the female population as a whole.  Lower income is most definitely a factor, but it absolutely does not fully explain this discrepancy.  

There is no one thing that explains anything. That's why policymakers are so bad at finding solutions. The interaction between race and socioeconomic status, though, is one that is complex and difficult to fully grasp. We know that people of color are disproportionately represented in the lower socioeconomic statuses, though, and so when you see that, here, it becomes quite obvious that this is the interplay we are seeing. We are also going to see the Hispanic population do interesting things because of the higher proportion of Catholics in their communities.

Anyway, this is all to say that there are many factors at play, here. Sure, we could look at one or two things and find a correlation, but the truth is that the factors involved in the statistical analysis would involve race, religion, socioeconomic status, relationship status, age, and several other things that would just muddy the waters even further. What we do know, though, is that based on a 2004 study, the top three reasons for having an abortion were for it radically changing their life, they couldn't afford it, and they didn't want to be a single mother. The first two line up with the rate of those in poverty, and the third is nearly half of the respondents. All of those percentages are more than the rate of black women seeking abortions, which indicates common themes that go beyond racial lines among women seeking abortions.

Sauce: https://www.guttmacher.org/sites/default/files/pdfs/journals/3711005.pdf
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
Side note of this Texas "bounty system" any time a woman has a miscarriage every person who has a cursory knowledge of her pregnancy without being close enough to her to be directly informed that she went through the trauma of a miscarriage could be dialing the hotline looking to cash in.

You aren't pregnant anymore! Oh man...I'm telling the government on you and I'm getting my reward!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2021, 11:46 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Side note of this Texas "bounty system" any time a woman has a miscarriage every person who has a cursory knowledge of her pregnancy without being close enough to her to be directly informed that she went through the trauma of a miscarriage could be dialing the hotline looking to cash in.

You aren't pregnant anymore!  Oh man...I'm telling the government on you and I'm getting my reward!

God Bless America.
Reply/Quote
The old "slippery slope" folks didn't see this one coming...lol.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
And I'm gonna leave this on this thread also' cause I'm gonna assume that once women have those babies there will not be an time off to care for them.

https://deadstate.org/lauren-boebert-i-gave-birth-in-a-truck-so-therefore-no-one-should-get-parental-leave/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Quote:In a video posted to her YouTube account, Colorado GOP Rep. Lauren Boebert took aim at Transport Secretary Pete Buttigieg, who recently announced that he would take two months of paternity leave after adopting newborn twins — a move that Boebert says he shouldn’t do during a supply chain crisis.

“I delivered one of my children in the front seat of my truck. Because as a mom of four, we got things to do,” Boebert in said in the video. 

“Ain’t nobody got time for two and a half months of maternity leave. We have a world to save here,” she said, adding that Americans would “know who to blame” if the supply-chain crisis affected the Christmas holiday.

“The guy in charge of it all, Mayor Pete, was on a two-month maternity, paternity, whatever the heck you want to call it, leave. OK, the guy was gone. The guy was not working,” Boebert said.

“Because why? He was trying to figure out how to chest feed,” she said.

Now mind you her FEC filing said she represented the wrong state...so let's not take her "ideas" too seriously but she is an elected member of congress.
Reply/Quote
I didn't want to start another thread about eh Supreme Court taking up the Mississippi abortion case because who needs ther htread of us all agreeing to disagree...right?  Cool

All seriousness aside this is indeed disturbing.

Why don't women just learn their roles as defined by a god in a book written over 2000 years ago? Women have to stop pretending they have "autonomy" and "rights" like regular human being do!   Ninja

Note for the back row:  I'm joking.  He's an idiot who believes what he says.
Reply/Quote