Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 2023 off-season - what do you want to see?
(02-03-2023, 12:49 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Volson starts at LG next season... bank on it. 

I wouldn’t be surprised either way
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 12:54 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Jonah Williams is a legit starting left tackle in this league at the end of the day. I’d say he falls between 24th-14th in terms of left tackles who are starters

Which is a starting left tackle since there are 32 of them

So.....

The guy that has given up the most sacks over the last 2 years is somehow ranked 14th-24th in terms of left tackles?  Explain that one to me.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 04:58 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I am fine with Jonah at LT going into next year. I want to upgrade LG or RT. 

Why, though?  He's the worst at the most important metric (sacks allowed) for the most important position on the line. 
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 01:00 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: So.....

The guy that has given up the most sacks over the last 2 years is somehow ranked 14th-24th in terms of left tackles?  Explain that one to me.

Explain how pff had him as a top 15 left tackle last season
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 01:02 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Why, though?  He's the worst at the most important metric (sacks allowed) for the most important position on the line. 

You seem to be obsessed with sacks...

Anything you care to tell us?
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 01:02 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Explain how pff had him as a top 15 left tackle last season

LOL  PFF.

I guess if you are using that for justification, then I get it.  

Either way, if you're comfortable with a revolving door protecting the QB's blind side, you've got him.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 01:04 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: LOL  PFF.

I guess if you are using that for justification, then I get it.  

Either way, if you're comfortable with a revolving door protecting the QB's blind side, you've got him.

The chiefs really don’t have a good tackle duo at the end of the day. Orlando Brown is a little better than Jonah, and their right tackle isn’t good.

But they have an elite interior. Volson is more replaceable because he is on a dirt cheap contract. A 4th round mediocre guard on a rookie deal isn’t a player you put a lot of resources in.

Jonah will be starting wether it’s RT, LT or even LG.

Much to your chagrin
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 01:14 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: The chiefs really don’t have a good tackle duo at the end of the day. Orlando Brown is a little better than Jonah, and their right tackle isn’t good.

But they have an elite interior. Volson is more replaceable because he is on a dirt cheap contract. A 4th round mediocre guard on a rookie deal isn’t a player you put a lot of resources in.

Jonah will be starting wether it’s RT, LT or even LG.

Much to your chagrin

Never said he wouldn't be, it's just that he'll again be the 4th or 5th best lineman on the team.

And, I'll also say that Volson will be your starting LG next year as well.  The cheap rookie deal is extremely valuable at this point with all the guys that need extended.  He's exactly the type of guy you put resources into.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 01:16 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Never said he wouldn't be, it's just that he'll again be the 4th or 5th best lineman on the team.

And, I'll also say that Volson will be your starting LG next year as well.  The cheap rookie deal is extremely valuable at this point with all the guys that need extended.  He's exactly the type of guy you put resources into.

Volson’s replaceable, quit overrating him. The bengals are gonna stick with Jonah in 2023, and Carman might become a starting tackle. Both of those guys are high draft picks with more invested in them than Volson.

If Carman and Jonah are starters, Volson needs to be replaced
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 01:00 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: So.....

Because sacks arent a great analytic when determining how good an OL player is. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 01:02 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Why, though?  He's the worst at the most important metric (sacks allowed) for the most important position on the line. 

That's not the most important metric. 
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 01:23 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Volson’s replaceable, quit overrating him. The bengals are gonna stick with Jonah in 2023, and Carman might become a starting tackle. Both of those guys are high draft picks with more invested in them than Volson.

If Carman and Jonah are starters, Volson needs to be replaced

Volson would be good depth. 
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 01:28 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Because sacks arent a great analytic when determining how good an OL player is. 

(02-03-2023, 01:28 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: That's not the most important metric. 

I dont think I agree with this unless the sack number is a mere handful and the pressure rate is astronomically high.

A sack is the second most devastating play to an offense other than a turnover.  Loss of yards, loss of down, greater potential for a fumble, greater potential for QB injury, mentally and emotionally harmful to the offense and juices up the defense and their sideline.

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 01:02 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Explain how pff had him as a top 15 left tackle last season

To the eye test, he didn't look as bad last year as he did most of this year. 

Grade wise, last year, they had him as the 24th overall and 34th rated in pass blocking. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 02:13 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: To the eye test, he didn't look as bad last year as he did most of this year. 

Grade wise, last year, they had him as the 24th overall and 34th rated in pass blocking. 

People forget Jonah dislocated his knee cap against Cleveland in week 8. He literally came back and played the week after. 

Hard to believe that didn't effect his performance at all. 
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 02:13 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: To the eye test, he didn't look as bad last year as he did most of this year. 

Overall, but not strictly for left tackles
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 02:43 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Overall, but not strictly for left tackles

Even this year, he was wildly inconsistent. I can't remember what game he hurt the knee the first time but there were so many times he just looked overmatched. His balance was bad, he kept dropping his head, looked really slow to 2nd moves, got pushed right back into Burrow. Then he started to get it together for a while and he looked like we expected him to look, then it kind of fell apart again and he banged up the other knee. 

Since he's been here, he missed his entire rookie year, injured his neck the 2nd year then banged up both knees this year. I don't see how anyone can just pencil him in as a starter. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 04:24 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Even this year, he was wildly inconsistent. I can't remember what game he hurt the knee the first time but there were so many times he just looked overmatched. His balance was bad, he kept dropping his head, looked really slow to 2nd moves, got pushed right back into Burrow. Then he started to get it together for a while and he looked like we expected him to look, then it kind of fell apart again and he banged up the other knee. 

Since he's been here, he missed his entire rookie year, injured his neck the 2nd year then banged up both knees this year. I don't see how anyone can just pencil him in as a starter. 

I can see it.  $12M.

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 04:30 PM)casear2727 Wrote:  I can see it.  $12M.

True. Cost effective. But i'm tired of cost effective over performance. 

I'm certainly not saying he can't get it together and be a solid LT. His history is arguing against it though. 

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 04:36 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: True. Cost effective. But i'm tired of cost effective over performance. 

I'm certainly not saying he can't get it together and be a solid LT. His history is arguing against it though. 

I dont know how cost effective it is, but teams, especially us, want to see big dollars playing on the field.

Reply/Quote