Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Bengals Board turns 5!!!
Today marks 5 years since we all started this board on 5/11/2015.

When the old board decided to close their doors, I had been a member there for about 3 years and it had become an everyday place for me to hang out and talk with other Bengals fans. It was by far the best place to talk about Bengals football and interact with knowledgeable fans, at least in my opinion. When they announced the closing, I was like man, I don't want to have to go to social media to talk Bengals...it's just not the same as on a forum. I also didn't see another Bengals message board that was anything close to what Bengals.com had as far as good discussions and a solid community. 

So, I decided to take a chance and start a place that people from Bengals.com could go if they didn't like the other options out there, and hopefully keep most of the community together in the process. I honestly had no idea if it would even get off the ground or if people wanted to take a chance on a new message board. Myself and the staff worked hard in the beginning to try and make it as much like the old board as possible, while also improving on it however we could. The biggest shaping/molding of the site though came from the members themselves...with all your suggestions, ideas and feedback on how you wanted your new home to be. 

The new site took off pretty quickly and is still growing 5 years later. So, I want to thank all of you who have made this site what it is. This community really is amazing and continue to make this an awesome place to hang out with other Bengals fans. I also want to give HUGE kudos to the staff, who have always done an amazing job and have made my life a whole lot easier because they handle all the day to day stuff, allowing me to focus on keeping the board running well and making improvements where I can. 

OK, so with all that being said, any thoughts on the last 5 years? Any favorite moments, threads, game days or whatever? There have been some posts / threads that have literally made me laugh out loud, but only one that made me spit my beer all over the keyboard...and that was 'Naked Andy'. That thread had me in stitches. If we ever do a thread HOF, that has to be the first. LOL
Reply/Quote
I remember in the very beginning how obsessed we all were with not having a language filter. And seeing the same old folks from the mothership. I guess I have to say I loved the first few weeks most of all.

And a quick EDIT: Easily the worst moment on the board has to be when we lost our good friend wildcats forever. RIP buddy.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Congratulations TBB. It's been a ride lol.

...and to all the members that have disappeared along the way.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(05-11-2020, 03:13 PM)Synric Wrote: Congratulations TBB. It's been a ride lol.

Does anyone remember BillyBroome?  He may have posted under a similar name, I knew him from several boards.  He passed away about a year and a half ago and I was wondering if I was the only one here who knew him.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2020, 03:03 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Today marks 5 years since we all started this board on 5/11/2015.

When the old board decided to close their doors, I had been a member there for about 3 years and it had become an everyday place for me to hang out and talk with other Bengals fans. It was by far the best place to talk about Bengals football and interact with knowledgeable fans, at least in my opinion. When they announced the closing, I was like man, I don't want to have to go to social media to talk Bengals...it's just not the same as on a forum. I also didn't see another Bengals message board that was anything close to what Bengals.com had as far as good discussions and a solid community. 

So, I decided to take a chance and start a place that people from Bengals.com could go if they didn't like the other options out there, and hopefully keep most of the community together in the process. I honestly had no idea if it would even get off the ground or if people wanted to take a chance on a new message board. Myself and the staff worked hard in the beginning to try and make it as much like the old board as possible, while also improving on it however we could. The biggest shaping/molding of the site though came from the members themselves...with all your suggestions, ideas and feedback on how you wanted your new home to be. 

The new site took off pretty quickly and is still growing 5 years later. So, I want to thank all of you who have made this site what it is. This community really is amazing and continue to make this an awesome place to hang out with other Bengals fans. I also want to give HUGE kudos to the staff, who have always done an amazing job and have made my life a whole lot easier because they handle all the day to day stuff, allowing me to focus on keeping the board running well and making improvements where I can. 

OK, so with all that being said, any thoughts on the last 5 years? Any favorite moments, threads, game days or whatever? There have been some posts / threads that have literally made me laugh out loud, but only one that made me spit my beer all over the keyboard...and that was 'Naked Andy'. That thread had me in stitches. If we ever do a thread HOF, that has to be the first. LOL

Man the memories of the old board and some of the characters that were there. I was just wondering the other day when there was a thread floating around about Katie Blackburn hiring her kid to head up social media, that there might be a resurgence of the old bengals.com board. Regardless i'm thankful for this place. 
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2020, 03:03 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Today marks 5 years since we all started this board on 5/11/2015.

My favorite moment was being free of Denny and his horrible moderating to guys who love the Bengals but can be critical when need be..

Keep up the great work guys!
Reply/Quote
I just love the place and glad there are lots of people out there that are passionate about the Bengals that want to discuss, interact, and even argue about them all year.
Reply/Quote
you've done a great job of building a community that can discuss and fuss about our favorite team without all sorts of ugliness. That is rare...so great job. And thanks for giving us a landing spot 5 years ago!!

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I'm just happy to be still involved with a community that welcomed this outsider from up north, into their ranks.

Funnily enough, on the Mothership, the old guard RRR'd me and treated me like crap... well they were almost unanimously banned within 2-3 weeks of that lol and then the board became much better as a result (West TX and the like). But never as great as here.

I like that a lot of the great posters with an analytics background and such, came here to continue the discussion, but they've almost all gone now (Ryan aka Royle, Eox, etc.). Synric and CJD are still around (obviously), but this board could always use more of those types (AU165 has become a tremendous asset, on this side of things).

Still this is the best MOD team and still the best NFL community on the internet; I always recall posting a question about tickets on the Bills board (basically, fishing for someone who would sell me some tix lol) last year and not only did nobody respond for 2 weeks, once I bumped it *twice*, I was met with hostility and rudeness; I know none of us here would EVER do that.

As soon as my E-Transfer goes through (in the next 15 minutes or so), I will do my donation :)

Thanks, everyone! Big Grin

EDIT* Also must give a shoutout to Pally, who must be a news reporter in their spare time or something, because nobody posts news and updates with our team, as quickly and accurately as She (Wink) does lol
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2020, 04:50 PM)GodFather Wrote: My favorite moment was being free of Denny and his horrible moderating to guys who love the Bengals but can be critical when need be..

Keep up the great work guys!

:andy: :andy: :andy:

In fact, this lack of draconian edits from mods has led to more civil and cheerful discussions - in the main- on this board than the original.

I also applaud the mods commitment to respectful exchanges.

Cannot thank Holic and the other mods sufficiently for the great job they are doing!!!
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2020, 05:14 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I like that a lot of the great posters with an analytics background and such, came here to continue the discussion, but they've almost all gone now (Ryan aka Royle, Eox, etc.). Synric and CJD are still around (obviously), but this board could always use more of those types (AU165 has become a tremendous asset, on this side of things).

Who was the guy who used to create his own draft rating by combining the top three source?  I am not sure but I think it was ESPN, NFL.com, and CBSSports?

I always found that very informative, and he obviously put a ton of work into it.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2020, 05:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Who was the guy who used to create his own draft rating by combining the top three source?  I am not sure but I think it was ESPN, NFL.com, and CBSSports?

I always found that very informative, and he obviously put a ton of work into it.

OOh don't remember now, sadly Sad

Do remember the posts though!
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Funny thing is that I can barely remember the old board. Like it was Meh compared to here. Hard to believe 5 years.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Thanks Holic, what we have here is more appreciated that you know. It offers a little escape from the everyday humdrum of life. And moreover it's leaps and bounds better than the mother ship where you always felt someone was looking over your shoulder because, well umm there was.

I'm hoping in the next 5 years we have even more to celebrate ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
Happy Birthday board.

Thanks to Holic for making this happen and giving all of us a place to call home. While we may not agree on every topic, the one thing is we love our team and love to talk about Football and without Holic's hard work, we wouldn't have that.

Also, thanks to all the mods who work to keep this place fun and mostly troll and drama free, I'm sure it isn't an easy job.

So cheers to you guys!!! Hope we have a lot more birthdays to come!

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(05-11-2020, 03:13 PM)Synric Wrote: Congratulations TBB. It's been a ride lol.

We've lost some good ones. 

When I'm enjoying one of my timeouts I try to locate them and have found a couple.

As to Board memories.

There was that one dude that tried to crash/ takeover the boards. He posted about how they went to ban him but gave him mod access instead. 

He provided a list of all his alts: I was one. 

But happy birthday to the forum members; you're what makes it.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
There is no message board in all of sports fandom like this one.

None.

Not even close.

It’s true. I’ve looked over lots of other message boards for other teams and this board is far and away the best. It is the best organized, the simplest to navigate, and the easiest to access. Each category has a specific meaning and all subjects related to football in general and the Bengals in particular are covered. No stone has been left unturned.

However, what makes The Bengals Board the best are the people. I might have met one or two of you in person over the years but I feel like I would like everyone on here. Having a beer or a Chianti with any of you would be an unforgettable experience. Can you imagine us having our own block of seats at Paul Brown Stadium for a game against the Steelers? Then we all go to the Montgomery Inn Boathouse for dinner? That would be epic.

My immediate family, sad to say, doesn’t like sports. I consider everyone on this board my sports family.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2020, 06:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: There was that one dude that tried to crash/ takeover the boards. He posted about how they went to ban him but gave him mod access instead. 

That was the most epic thing I have ever seen on any message board.  And I have been involved in a couple of others besides Bengal boards.

He obviously had many different identities, and he was obviously very intelligent.  But he was WAY TO obsessed with pretending to be other people.  He thought he was being amazing by "fooling" everyone, but I actually don't spend a lot of time worrying about people not being who they claim to be on a message board where they can't get anything from me.

I do know he created another board for a short period of time that was insane.  I laughed more on that message board than on any other place I have ever been on the internet.

I am sure he is still here today.  He was a real Bengal fan.  He posted as "The Scales" over on Go-Bengals.com.
Reply/Quote
Woo! Woo! (In my best Ric Flair impression)

My, how the time flies by. And not just 5 years, but 5 glorious years of growth and development. You're moving up to what, our 3rd server now? And STILL the best place on the net to celebrate being a Bengals fan!

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
When I found out boards.bengals was getting shut down it hit me really hard. I had a lot going on in those days and by that point it had become a home.

We all hit the ground running and made an even better place and managed to keep a lot of great people.

It has been a great 12 years with you all, and I hope for many many more.
Reply/Quote