Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Current State of the OL Room
Here is the current OL room:

Tackles: Williams, Collins, Prince

Guards: Cappa, Carman, Smith, Adeniji, Volson

Centers: Karras, Hill, Galliard

Of this bunch, you have to remember that four were drafted over the last two offseasons (Smith, Carman, Hill, Volson). So yes we don't have a lot of experienced depth - we took that calculated risk last offseason when we emptied out the OL room of players like MJ and Redmond. So these players need time and reps to get coached up so we can see what we have - the bad news is they are raw (especially Hill) - the good news is all of them flashed at times some pretty above average stuff last year.

Really the only player here I am not crazy about keeping is Adeniji - he singlehandedly gave up nearly half our postseason sacks. A Guard MUST be able to anchor and he shows no ability to do so.

Galliard I think heads back to the PS. I still think we add either Spain or another vet G/T so we have experienced people coming off the bench.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
From what the staff has stated D'Ante Smith may take reps at OG but he is being considered OT just as he should be. Also, by reports the Bengals have signed OG Ben Brown from Ole Miss whom many felt would be a draft selection.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2022, 04:53 PM)Joelist Wrote: Here is the current OL room:

Tackles: Williams, Collins, Prince

Guards: Cappa, Carman, Smith, Adeniji, Volson

Centers: Karras, Hill, Galliard

Of this bunch, you have to remember that four were drafted over the last two offseasons (Smith, Carman, Hill, Volson). So yes we don't have a lot of experienced depth - we took that calculated risk last offseason when we emptied out the OL room of players like MJ and Redmond. So these players need time and reps to get coached up so we can see what we have - the bad news is they are raw (especially Hill) - the good news is all of them flashed at times some pretty above average stuff last year.

Really the only player here I am not crazy about keeping is Adeniji - he singlehandedly gave up nearly half our postseason sacks. A Guard MUST be able to anchor and he shows no ability to do so.

Galliard I think heads back to the PS. I still think we add either Spain or another vet G/T so we have experienced people coming off the bench.

Frankly, let both Adeniji and Prince go and add one vet OL that can play both OG and OT.
Ereck Flowers or Spain are better at OG but can play OT in a pinch.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2022, 05:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Frankly, let both Adeniji and Prince go and add one vet OL that can play both OG and OT.

Yep

Neither one has shown any ability to play at the NFL level.
Reply/Quote
There is no guarantee that Carman will be healthy this season, did he have surgery to correct his back issues from last year that caused him to miss the Super Bowl? Do we even know if he herniated his disc again, if so will he need additional surgery? If he doesn't have surgery what is to prevent the herniated disc from acting up whenever he plays any amount of time. For all of those that trust the team doctors, why did they clear him last season when he wasn't ready.
Reply/Quote
This bunch is certainly in a better place than last year. Looking for another great run. Like to see Spain back.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2022, 07:18 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: This bunch is certainly in a better place than last year. Looking for another great run. Like to see Spain back.

Agree.  The reign of Spain was mainly on the plain. That’s okay by me. 
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2022, 05:05 PM)OSUfan Wrote: From what the staff has stated D'Ante Smith may take reps at OG but he is being considered OT just as he should be. Also, by reports the Bengals have signed OG Ben Brown from Ole Miss whom many felt would be a draft selection.
Ben Brown had a 5th round grade. I wouldn't sleep on him. I think he'll bump Adeniji off the roster.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2022, 06:08 PM)AtomicBlaze Wrote: There is no guarantee that Carman will be healthy this season, did he have surgery to correct his back issues from last year that caused him to miss the Super Bowl?  Do we even know if he herniated his disc again, if so will he need additional surgery?  If he doesn't have surgery what is to prevent the herniated disc from acting up whenever he plays any amount of time.   For all of those that trust the team doctors, why did they clear him last season when he wasn't ready.

What is your point?  You don't think the Bengals are taking Carman's back into consideration?

I don't know if he needs surgery or not because I am not a doctor.

I do know that a back surgery is not a death sentence to an athlete's career.

And when did they clear him last year when he was not ready?  Carman played in all 20 games last year.

I have no doubt that his back surgery last year probably effected his ability to work out last off season.  And he probably was not 100% recovered in July when training camp started because the surgery had to be after Clemson's January playoff game.  So that gives me more hope that he will be improved quite a bit this year.  He will be fully recovered and have a full offseason to work out.  
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2022, 05:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Frankly, let both Adeniji and Prince go and add one vet OL that can play both OG and OT.

Once some cuts are made I think you might see them do something. I agree I would add one vet for sure.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2022, 07:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What is your point?  You don't think the Bengals are taking Carman's back into consideration?

And when did they clear him last year when he was not ready?  Carman played in all 20 games last year.
Yep and they also said he was out in LA working out and they were happy with him taking it more seriously this year.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2022, 07:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What is your point?  You don't think the Bengals are taking Carman's back into consideration?

I have no doubt that his back surgery last year probably effected his ability to work out last off season.  And he probably was not 100% recovered in July when training camp started because the surgery had to be after Clemson's January playoff game.  So that gives me more hope that he will be improved quite a bit this year.  He will be fully recovered and have a full offseason to work out.  
 He reinjured his back after he had been cleared by our doctors.  I predicted this would happen before last season.  They rushed him back.
Reply/Quote
Carman’s been read the riot act. He knows he’s under a severe microscope. Coming in to his first training camp as a rookie he comes in over weight. Who does that? Nor were they happy with his work ethic. Or a few others. Zac’s culture hasn’t fully embraced all the OL. Carman will either have a breakout year or join many former NFL OL that let themselves go not named Joe Thomas.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2022, 07:34 PM)pulses Wrote: Yep and they also said he was out in LA working out and they were happy with him taking it more seriously this year.

Saying he is working out could mean anything, let me see video of him squatting and deadlifting weight that typical offensive lineman lift, then I will believe he is healthy.
Reply/Quote
Jackson Carman should have never been drafted in the first place.Back Surgery? I’ve known of quite a few people who have had back surgery over the years,and their backs just weren’t the same after that.Their were always some issues.Although they could function for the most part,and could consistently hold
down a job.
I hope Jackson makes a full recovery,but the odds are somewhat against him.I think Volson has the best chance of locking down the LG position this coming season.We’ll see.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2022, 08:40 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Coming in to his first training camp as a rookie he comes in over weight. Who does that?

Who does that?

Maybe a guy who could not work out 100% because he was recovering from back surgery?
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2022, 11:06 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: I’ve known of quite a few people who have had back surgery over the years,and their backs just weren’t the same after that.

And Rob Gronkowski was a three time All-Pro after having back surgery.  So your limited anecdotal evidence is meaningless.

To be fair I was also concerned with Carman's back going into the offseason.  But the Bengals know all about Carman's back.  If it was sketchy at all I am pretty sure they would have signed someone else in free agency or took an o-lineman high in the draft.

There is no news of any setback.  The team expects Carman to come in and be the frontrunner in the competition for LG. 

I'll bet you have disliked Carman ever since the draft.  I see this happen with a lot of players.  People who express strong negative reactions to a player at the time of the draft/signing carry that bias for years.  

Reply/Quote
It's crazy to me that we're not even talking about the Carman story. Literally one week ago it was front-page news. Now it's ancient history. That whole thing was pretty damn strange, as if there was an invisible hand trying to throw him under the bus.

Where there's smoke there's fire. And there's a helluva lot of smoke around him. Did he show up to voluntary workouts? I think he's done on this team and they're just trying to figure out how to announce it.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2022, 12:26 AM)tms Wrote: It's crazy to me that we're not even talking about the Carman story. Literally one week ago it was front-page news. Now it's ancient history. That whole thing was pretty damn strange, as if there was an invisible hand trying to throw him under the bus.

Where there's smoke there's fire. And there's a helluva lot of smoke around him. Did he show up to voluntary workouts? I think he's done on this team and they're just trying to figure out how to announce it.

I haven't forgotten, if this story is actually true I do not want him on our team.  I wish the team had an official comment on this.  I thought drafting high character was high priority to them.  If they knew about this before the draft then they have some explaining to do.  The story seemed pretty credible and detailed when I read it 
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2022, 12:01 AM)fredtoast Wrote: And Rob Gronkowski was a three time All-Pro after having back surgery.  So your limited anecdotal evidence is meaningless.

Mocking another's "limited" evidence after using an example of one to try to disprove.   Hilarious

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote