Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Defense
(08-12-2019, 06:12 PM)jason Wrote: Preston Brown is like 27 or something...

I'm interested to see how Brown plays when he's healthy. I know he lead the league in tackles when we signed him but i'm not sure if that means he's a good linebacker ? The fact that the best deal the league leading tackler could get was a one year 5 million dollar deal made me wonder why other teams didn't offer him more. I'm assuming Brown was good against the run and maybe not so good in coverage which is why he didn't get any better deals in free agency ?  Tobin liked him enough to resign him to a decent deal. Hopefully he can at least be a force against the run which we need in our division trying to stop guys like John Connor, Mark Ingram and Nick Chubb. 
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2019, 11:33 PM)lone bengal Wrote: I'm interested to see how Brown plays when he's healthy. I know he lead the league in tackles when we signed him but i'm not sure if that means he's a good linebacker ? The fact that the best deal the league leading tackler could get was a one year 5 million dollar deal made me wonder why other teams didn't offer him more. I'm assuming Brown was good against the run and maybe not so good in coverage which is why he didn't get any better deals in free agency ?  Tobin liked him enough to resign him to a decent deal. Hopefully he can at least be a force against the run which we need in our division trying to stop guys like John Connor, Mark Ingram and Nick Chubb. 

$5 Mil per year is good money for a 4-3 MLB. Let's not pretend otherwise. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2019, 11:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: $5 Mil per year is good money for a 4-3 MLB. Let's not pretend otherwise. 
Wasn't trying to pretend was just asking an honest question lol. With all the money linebackers are making it seemed low. The guy was coming off the best season of his career and only signed a one year deal. Not like he had anything to prove he lead the league in tackles. 
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2019, 11:55 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Wasn't trying to pretend was just asking an honest question lol. With all the money linebackers are making it seemed low. The guy was coming off the best season of his career and only signed a one year deal. Not like he had anything to prove he lead the league in tackles. 

4-3 MLBs really aren't making that much money. Outside of crazy money Mosley and Alexander banked this year. PB is among the highest. For instance Deone Buchanon is a 4-3 MLB folks love and her just signed a 1-year $2.5 Mil contract. So I suppose the answer is: They really don't make that much.  

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2019, 11:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: $5 Mil per year is good money for a 4-3 MLB. Let's not pretend otherwise. 

He is basically going to be a backup though if everything goes to plan. If he plays Nickle all through the season then something is went really wrong.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 12:12 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: He is basically going to be a backup though if everything goes to plan. If he plays Nickle all through the season then something is went really wrong.

I can see PB starting at Mike and Pratt playing Will. Are you thinking PB backs up Pratt at Mike?

Reply/Quote
I hope next draft we go 100% defense. Not a single offensive player. NONE!
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 12:17 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I can see PB starting at Mike and Pratt playing Will. Are you thinking PB backs up Pratt at Mike?

I think we go SLB Vigil and Pratt/Evans at WLB as our 3 down LB eventually(both can call plays).  I just don't think Brown in pass coverage is good for him or the team.
J24

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 12:19 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: I hope next draft we go 100% defense. Not a single offensive player. NONE!

I think they draft their QB of the future round 1 of next draft and probably WR and another CB fairly high in the draft.   Just my feeling.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Poor linebacker play is still the thing that plague us. If Lou isn't some kind of linebacker whisperer then we need to seriously consider looking outside the organization to help those guys.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Contrary to the opinions of some Brown was actually effective in pass coverage before he got hurt. And unlike a lot of "modern defense" LBers Brown actually is enough of a thumper to stop the run - remember what the Pats did to the "modern defenses" of both the Chiefs and Rams in the playoffs last year.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 07:43 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Poor linebacker play is still the thing that plague us. If Lou isn't some kind of linebacker whisperer then we need to seriously consider looking outside the organization to help those guys.

I believe Lou's reputation is as more of a secondary guy, helping a few safeties and corners get to the Pro Bowl.

Not sure I put the linebacking play on any of the coaches now or last year - I'm just not sure we have all that much talent to work with there.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 08:39 PM)NKURyan Wrote: I believe Lou's reputation is as more of a secondary guy, helping a few safeties and corners get to the Pro Bowl.

Not sure I put the linebacking play on any of the coaches now or last year - I'm just not sure we have all that much talent to work with there.

I'm not putting it on the coaches, we've struck out recently on linebacker talent. We're not drafting good players, and we're not signing any above average free agents. It seems like once Zimmer left for Minnesota our linebackers level of play just took a serious hit.

BLUF; We have a serious talent deficit at linebacker and the organization hasn't done enough to fix it.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2019, 07:31 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote:  We're not drafting good players, and we're not signing any above average free agents.

Preston Brown was an above average free agent.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2019, 04:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Preston Brown was an above average free agent.

Eh considering what we already had on the roster yea, but he wasn't really setting the world on fire in Buffalo. He had impressive tackle numbers but everyone knew when we signed him that's all he was going to offer. We signed him and he was meh, and then we resigned him. He's not bad but signing him was far from some kind of monumental move by the team.
Reply/Quote
The Chiefs are a damn good Offense but Lou needs to get this Defense tackling better.

Should be much better tonight against a worse Offense.

Tough first opponent.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2019, 08:24 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Eh considering what we already had on the roster yea, but he wasn't really setting the world on fire in Buffalo. He had impressive tackle numbers but everyone knew when we signed him that's all he was going to offer.

He led the league in tackles and played decent pass coverage (in a 3-4 scheme).

You really have to spin like crazy to claim he was below average.
Reply/Quote
Brown staying healthy is one of the more important things that needs to happen for this defense. I'm not going to sit here and pretend he's some superstar, but he doesn't need to be to help us. I'll be happy if he's career-salvaging Dhani Jones-good at this point. We could use that in a major way.

I know people are pissed about not doing a lot in FA. Hell, I'm firmly in that camp. I think it was a joke. That being what it is, everyone better join team Preston Brown right away. If he goes down, we're going to be right back to watching Hardy-harr-harr Nickerson and Jordan Evans pretending to be NFL players and getting destroyed all season long, just like last year. After Pratt, it's a bunch of undrafted dudes and late round picks that aren't ever going to amount to shit.

The o-line gets more attention, but in reality, the offense was good enough to win games when healthy, even with below average play up front. They were scoring a lot of points, and Mixon was running up yards. The linebackers getting beat in the short/intermidiate game was the death of this team last year. Was it schematic? Better hope so. One Germaine Pratt and a few prayers may not be enough to fix the lack of talent in that position group. It's still paper-thin after the first 3 guys, and the backups are pretty much all liabilities.
Reply/Quote
The Defense tackled better last night. This is what I wanted to see under Lou.

Pratt is a player people. Same with Hubbard.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 06:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The Defense tackled better last night. This is what I wanted to see under Lou.

Pratt is a player people. Same with Hubbard.

If Pratt can continue his play from last night then the sky is the limit for this Defense.
J24

Reply/Quote