Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Elephant In The Room
Oh boy
(04-27-2020, 02:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know what a "biological MD" is, but if they believe communities in the UNited States have developed herd immunity to Covid-19 I am not impressed.

Hey! Wrong forum!
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

I'm guessing we'll know more in a couple of months but I wouldn't be surprised with a delayed start and shortened season. I don't think we'll cancel the season altogether but I'm sure it really depends on where we are with things at that point.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Viruses like the Corona have been identified since the sixties. If you have kids or grandkids around when they've had colds odds are it was a strand of the Corona virus that caused the cold and you already have some antibodies built up, hence why some people testing positive don't even feel sick. Obviously it mutates but these viruses don't do well in warm weather. It will die off this summer and football SHOULD start on time. Now once it gets cold again...

(04-27-2020, 02:17 PM)Mer Wrote: Hey! Wrong forum!

Yep, wrong forum.

But still correct comment (as I can tell from your reply).
I love how Covid19 and Google has made everyone a medical expert.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

No doubt. All that money spent on student loans and all I had to do was Google.

(04-27-2020, 02:44 PM)Synric Wrote: I love how Covid19 and Google has made everyone a medical expert.

This era will be remembered as the time when stupid people were no longer embarrassed to stand up and loudly proclaim how little they know about a topic.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Is the vaccination derived from elephants?
The NFL is somewhat unique in that they have real power, not just money but actual political influence. It would be silly to underestimate the owners and their connections in all of this which makes me believe that in some way shape or form the season will be played. What that looks like in terms of venue, timing, length I don't know but I believe it will occur.
Well it's in the right forum now. Thanks Mer.

If this is just another cold, flu, or whatever then why are the NBA, MLB, NHL, NCAA, and NFL willing to lose billions in revenue over it? The answer is it's NOT just another little virus that will go by with little or no fan fair(no pun intended). It has killed over 50,000 Americans and if we would have just went on with business as usual, the estimate was 2.2 million Americans would parish from this "beast" of a virus. The President agreed that was way too high of a number and I agree with him. I hope we have football this fall, college and professional. We need our football and I'm sure the NFL owners want a normal season and the revenue that comes with it. Let's hope we get want we all want.
I've also notice folks that post things such as" Be careful stating the real facts" or "truth is" without backing up their "facts" or "truth" with any viable unbiased links are the ones that truly don't know their ass from a hole in the ground or at the very least just like to talk out of their ass to make themselves feel better about themselves.
(04-27-2020, 12:31 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I see the season starting on time. There are countries who ignored guarantees and are already recovering due to herd immunity. There are treatments being developed, vaccines and so on.

I think when all is and done, this will be a bad case of another flu and prove to be a huge over reach by medical professionals.

This is an incredibly misinformed post. 

(04-27-2020, 12:53 PM)Mer Wrote: Be careful stating real facts. Some folks enjoy being alarmists. Ninja 

BTW this is nothing compared to H1N1 and we didn't shut down. 

Are you referring to 1918 or 2009? It's pretty easy to find the statistic that show that SARS-CoV-2 is a lot more devastating than H1N1 was in 2009, so I am assuming you are NOT referring to 2009. If you're then referring to the Spanish Flu, why would we be comparing the practices of the US in 1918 during a world war to today? Why would we try to make an apples-to-apples comparison of influenza and coronaviruses when they're incredibly different?

(04-27-2020, 01:04 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This is an unbelievably uniformed and terrible take.

:andy:

(04-27-2020, 01:51 PM)treee Wrote: Please do not spread disinformation about the Novel Corona Virus, and also keep all posts in this thread relevant to the Bengals/NFL.

:andy:
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(04-27-2020, 01:53 PM)Mer Wrote: pally Wrote: H1N1 didn't kill 53,000 in a month  And a vaccine was available within months

You're right. Sadly it killed a lot more. And the vaccine wasn't even used here in the US. Actually they destroyed it. 
As to Fred, you're correct this is the wrong spot so I'll stop with reality.

More "reality," this time from the U.S. Center for Disease Control:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-h1n1-pandemic.html

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010,  CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range:
195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.
I think that the NFL and most major sports will find a way to carry on with the games. It might be with limited/no fans in the stands, but they will find a way. It sounds corny as f*** but sports are really important during times like these. It's one of a few way to give people a distraction from what's going on.

It's the reason I actually watched all of Round 1 of the draft. I usually just flip it on for the Bengals' pick and leave. But even though it was a different format it was just good to watch something that had nothing to do with COVID-19.

I think they find a way. With enough available testing it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
I don't feel confident that it will happen, and have almost no expectation that it will happen with fans. Even when things begin to open, the idea of mass-gatherings will be highly frowned upon for a long time. Some states may be open to allowing them, but my guess is that many will not.

Until a vaccine is developed or new cases just virtually stop popping up, things won't go back to normal. I don't think any major sports league want to risk a outbreak being tracked to their event and having it play out in the national media. They want money, but they also want to avoid long-term damage to their public images.
(04-27-2020, 05:05 PM)Dill Wrote: More "reality," this time from the U.S. Center for Disease Control:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-h1n1-pandemic.html

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010,  CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range:
195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.

2x10-4 % US death rate, compared to 6.9% US death rate.

No shocker we didn't shut down
(04-27-2020, 12:31 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I see the season starting on time. There are countries who ignored guarantees and are already recovering due to herd immunity. There are treatments being developed, vaccines and so on.

I think when all is and done, this will be a bad case of another flu and prove to be a huge over reach by medical professionals.

Which countries chose to ignore mitigation strategies and are recovering due to herd immunity? How have they determined the status of heard immunity?
(04-27-2020, 12:53 PM)Mer Wrote: Be careful stating real facts. Some folks enjoy being alarmists. Ninja 

BTW this is nothing compared to H1N1 and we didn't shut down. 

There were less than 13K deaths due to H1N1 during the 2009 flu season in the US compared to 56K and counting compared to Covid-19 in the US.
(04-27-2020, 01:53 PM)Mer Wrote: You're right. Sadly it killed a lot more.

False.

Quote:And the vaccine wasn't even used here in the US. Actually they destroyed it. 

As to Fred, you're correct this is the wrong spot so I'll stop with reality.

Also, false.

https://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/public/vaccination_qa_pub.htm