Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Elephant In The Room
(04-27-2020, 02:28 PM)Mer Wrote: Viruses like the Corona have been identified since the sixties. If you have kids or grandkids around when they've had colds odds are it was a strand of the Corona virus that caused the cold and you already have some antibodies built up, hence why some people testing positive don't even feel sick. Obviously it mutates but these viruses don't do well in warm weather. It will die off this summer and football SHOULD start on time. Now once it gets cold again...

All false.
(04-28-2020, 01:26 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: There were less than 13K deaths due to H1N1 during the 2009 flu season in the US compared to 56K and counting compared to Covid-19 in the US.

With 70,000 deaths among 328 million people, the death rate is .021%.  I'm not diminishing a single one of them 

I did hear a doctor say the American death rate was 400 per million.  That comes out to .04% but I can't get that math to work.  

Either way, life has to begin again.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

(04-28-2020, 02:01 AM)McC Wrote: With 70,000 deaths among 328 million people, the death rate is .021%.  I'm not diminishing a single one of them 

I did hear a doctor say the American death rate was 400 per million.  That comes out to .04% but I can't get that math to work.  

I totally agree. And the way to do that is disease surveillance which means we need to do a better job of testing so we have the data to determine incidence, prevalence, mortality rate, and when those numbers are trending down so we can do that.
(04-28-2020, 01:26 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: There were less than 13K deaths due to H1N1 during the 2009 flu season in the US compared to 56K and counting compared to Covid-19 in the US.

56k in a few months with relatively strong quarantine measures. It's obvious to anyone that even put the slightest bit of research into that this virus is still in a deadly stage. It is true that eventually it will mutate to a less harmful version in order to propagate more, but we're not there yet. Also, our testing numbers are still not good enough to re-open everything while the virus is in this state.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-28-2020, 02:01 AM)McC Wrote: With 70,000 deaths among 328 million people, the death rate is .021%.  I'm not diminishing a single one of them 

If you’re going to compare deaths to the entire population rather than just those who have been confirmed to have it, you need to acknowledge that the rate would be much higher if we didn’t have all of these mitigation efforts in place. More cases outright and a bigger strain on our healthcare infrastructure would cause that rate to increase.

Life has to begin again, but doing so right now would be devastating. We can’t begin to do that until we have the capability of conducting mass testing.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Except, the death rate isn't calculated based on the entire population. That would not make any sense. You take those that died from the disease and divide it by the number infected. That's the mortality or death rate.

So the latest numbers from one source are about 57k dead, 1 million confirmed cases. 57,000/1,000,000=5.7%

On the CDC website, as of 26 April, there have been 53,922 deaths and 957,875 cases. This comes to 5.6%.

That is how you calculate the mortatliy/fatality/death rates for a disease.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(04-27-2020, 04:27 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: This is an incredibly misinformed post. 

Are you referring to 1918 or 2009? It's pretty easy to find the statistic that show that SARS-CoV-2 is a lot more devastating than H1N1 was in 2009, so I am assuming you are NOT referring to 2009. If you're then referring to the Spanish Flu, why would we be comparing the practices of the US in 1918 during a world war to today? Why would we try to make an apples-to-apples comparison of influenza and coronaviruses when they're incredibly different?  

:andy:

:andy:

Answer some simple questions for me.

How many tests were done for Swine flu?
What was death rate of Swine flu based on actual testing?

In time, we will know the death rate of the Corona Virus and through various tests including anti body tests?

We have no idea how many people had the Swine flu and lived because the sample size was so small for testing. In my opinion, I think a healthy person under 60 with no underlying medical issues has about a .005 chance of dying from this virus. I think in time that will be proven, just my opinion. I am not saying do not be safe, but if over 60 and have underlying issues lock yourself up and keep others away from you. If not, live your life and still wash your hands and stay away 6 feet from others out of respect.

We shit down an entire country, yet we allow abortions to kill 50,000 people every 60 days and don't bat an eye. Same people living in fear support an unborn innocent baby get slaughtered with no chance or choice to live life.

Rant over, but just answering those who said I am uninformed. 
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
(04-28-2020, 01:27 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Except, the death rate isn't calculated based on the entire population. That would not make any sense. You take those that died from the disease and divide it by the number infected. That's the mortality or death rate.

So the latest numbers from one source are about 57k dead, 1 million confirmed cases. 57,000/1,000,000=5.7%

On the CDC website, as of 26 April, there have been 53,922 deaths and 957,875 cases. This comes to 5.6%.

That is how you calculate the mortatliy/fatality/death rates for a disease.

What is the death rate for abortion during this Pandemic?

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
(04-28-2020, 01:30 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: What is the death rate for abortion during this Pandemic?

Zero. Embryos/fetuses are not people. They have no SSN, they are not counted for a census, they do not exist as a person until they are actually born.

Nice troll attempt, though.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(04-28-2020, 01:30 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: What is the death rate for abortion during this Pandemic?

When proven completely wrong change the subject, eh?

https://youtu.be/f5p2XAGE8R8
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
The elephant in the room really are the things one cannot say due to board policy.

Everything was said in response to those outrageous misinformations, but of course nothing matters. At times I wonder why those completely uninformed, yet also totally arrogant people want to live among all those dumb sheep they percieve their not so Trumpian fellowmen to be. Take some big states that are red anyway, move all there and bank on your real truths and real facts to defy the dumb world and to fight a laughable disease that is more hoax than anything. Call it Dunnington and Krugeria, or Trumpland if you want to be extra nice, also don't forget to build a beautiful wall around it so your herd immunity doesn't spill out to the undeserving folks outside of it. Wouldn't that just be better for everyone.

Then the NFL actually might have a chance. With people like that around, it's getting tough though.
(04-28-2020, 01:29 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote:  just my opinion. 

Thank you for admitting you were uniformed and just stating an opinion.

WTF

This is the logical analog to a mixed metaphor.
(04-28-2020, 01:29 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Answer some simple questions for me.

What was death rate of Swine flu based on actual resting?

In time, we will know the death rate of the Corona Virus and through various tests including anti body tests?

We have no idea how many people had the Swine flu and lived because the sample size was so small for testing. In my opinion, I think a healthy person under 60 with no underlying medical issues has about a .005 chance of dying from this virus. I think in time that will be proven, just my opinion. I am not saying do not be safe, but if over 60 and have underlying issues lock yourself up and keep others away from you. If not, live your life and still wash your hands and stay away 6 feet from others out of respect.

We shit down an entire country, yet we allow abortions to kill 50,000 people every 60 days and don't bat an eye. Same people living in fear support an unborn innocent baby get slaughtered with no chance or choice to live life.

This reminds me of how the unemployment rate was calculated on Fox News when Obama was President.

It is estimated that roughy 50m Americans contracted H1N1 in 2009 and 12,000 died from it over the course of a year, making it less deadly than the season flu. 

Even for the season flu, we have to deal with estimates because we cannot and do not test everyone for a number of reasons. We don't even have the best statistics for months after the flu season ends.

I say that to highlight the fact that the 58k deaths that we're at right now is undercounting deaths that have occurred and is only for a period of roughly 2 months, not a year.

This is already more than the season flu. It's nearly 5 times as many people as H1N1 killed in a year.

Suggesting that this is a "bad case of another flu" is uninformed for a number of reason. Coronaviruses are incredibly different from influenza and the data already shows that SARS-CoV-2 is far deadlier. Trying to pivot to abortion just highlights the fact that you realize that said something incredibly misinformed. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Rant over, but just answering those who said I am uninformed

You're answering those who wrote you were uninformed with uninformed opinions? You just proved their point.

Also, less than 40% of the population is less than 65 years old without any chronic medical conditions.

And if you care about the sanctity of life that would include the living, right?
(04-28-2020, 02:48 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It is estimated that roughy 50m Americans contracted H1N1 in 2009 and 12,000 died from it over the course of a year, making it less deadly than the season flu. 

Even for the season flu, we have to deal with estimates because we cannot and do not test everyone for a number of reasons. We don't even have the best statistics for months after the flu season ends.

I say that to highlight the fact that the 58k deaths that we're at right now is undercounting deaths that have occurred and is only for a period of roughly 2 months, not a year.

This is already more than the season flu. It's nearly 5 times as many people as H1N1 killed in a year.

Suggesting that this is a "bad case of another flu" is uninformed for a number of reason. Coronaviruses are incredibly different from influenza and the data already shows that SARS-CoV-2 is far deadlier. Trying to pivot to abortion just highlights the fact that you realize that said something incredibly misinformed. 

Well what is the death rate in Burma then, Hunh?   Can you tell me that?!  LMAO
(04-28-2020, 02:48 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It is estimated that roughy 50m Americans contracted H1N1 in 2009 and 12,000 died from it over the course of a year, making it less deadly than the season flu. 

Funny, I asked how any based on testing and you jump to estimates> Why? Because the number actually tested fro swine flu was far less than has been tested for this flu? This will go down as the biggest economic colossal ______ in US history thanks to to the Chinese and WHO.

(04-28-2020, 03:22 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Funny, I asked how any based on testing and you jump to estimates> Why? Because the number actually tested fro swine flu was far less than has been tested for this flu? This will go down as the biggest economic colossal ______ in US history thanks to to the Chinese and WHO.

Okay, so what does China and the WHO have to do with us shutting down the economy?  Did either of them force Trump's hand to make any of the decisions he has made? Or the governor's? Or the NIH, HHS, CDC, FDA?  How can we blame China and the WHO for not being forthcoming with how bad this pandemic was going to get and then on the other had blame them for a "medical overreach"?  Basically, this is really f'n bad because of China and the WHO, but not bad enough to warrant anything we have done?  How do we reconcile those two thoughts? Not to mention, if the mitigation strategies work and there aren't hundreds of thousand or millions dead then we conclude the mitigation strategies weren't necessary because we didn't have a bunch of deaths (because the mitigation strategies prevented those deaths) and this was just a bad flu.