Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Ghost of Jessie Bates
(10-22-2022, 02:11 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Hard to argue with Lou 2nd half brilliance this year. 

Great point

That said, Bates is still mehhh lol
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 03:04 PM)M.W. Wrote: I agree, makes good sense. I wouldn't even attempt to re-sign Bates as his replacement will get sound experience this season.Hill has more upside.

And is already a much better tackler...
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 03:04 PM)M.W. Wrote: I agree, makes good sense. I wouldn't even attempt to re-sign Bates as his replacement will get sound experience this season.Hill has more upside.

Tee or Bates? Not even a question. The $13 million Bates is getting will go a long way toward signing Tee and Bates is replaced at no additional cost.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 07:52 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Tee or Bates?  Not even a question. The $13 million Bates is getting will go a long way toward signing Tee and Bates is replaced at no additional cost.

Yea, the biggest thing will be keeping Bell. If we can get another 3 year deal without breaking the bank that would be ideal. I know the Bengals don't like doing 3rd contracts but he'll still only be 28 going into next season. 
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 07:52 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Tee or Bates?  Not even a question. The $13 million Bates is getting will go a long way toward signing Tee and Bates is replaced at no additional cost.

(10-22-2022, 08:17 PM)TheFan Wrote: Yea, the biggest thing will be keeping Bell. If we can get another 3 year deal without breaking the bank that would be ideal. I know the Bengals don't like doing 3rd contracts but he'll still only be 28 going into next season. 

If we could sign back Tee and Vonn while letting Jessie go? I would be ecstatic.

I thought us being able to extend Tee would be nearly impossible and signing Vonn would be easy but the nagging injuries to 
Tee have kind of changed the impossible part. Vonn continues to play like a stud though, but nice knowing he is only 28. He was
the start of this defensive resurrection under Lou with the JuJu hit. Keep him around for a while please.
Reply/Quote

I wouldn't sign Bates, I would try to sign Tee.
Reply/Quote
He might not be lighting up the stat sheet but Jessie Bates is playing well on the back end. He's not getting targeted much.

I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2022, 10:25 AM)Synric Wrote: He might not be lighting up the stat sheet but Jessie Bates is playing well on the back end. He's not getting targeted much.

I don't think most are saying he's been really bad this year. But he definitely hasn't been close to great. He wants to get paid like the best safety in football and is far from it. The fact that he's making no game changing plays is exactly why people didn't want to sign him to a top dollar deal in the first place. Everything he does seems to be replaceable. 
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2022, 11:15 AM)TheFan Wrote: I don't think most are saying he's been really bad this year. But he definitely hasn't been close to great. He wants to get paid like the best safety in football and is far from it. The fact that he's making no game changing plays is exactly why people didn't want to sign him to a top dollar deal in the first place. Everything he does seems to be replaceable. 

Completely agree and his effort in tackling at times looks pathetic. It isn't his coverage that has ever been his problem.

He isn't the best tackler, you don't pay a Safety top money if he isn't elite in all aspects and if there is any question about 
his effort you definitely don't pay him top money.
Reply/Quote