Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 2.7 Average
The Ja'Marr Chase Thread
(11-29-2021, 01:48 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Boohoo. Our offense has put up 30 or more points in 3 of those 4 pedestrian games.

Haven't heard a peep outta Ja'Marr about it either. He's also hustling and blocking his ass off.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Chase catches no passes but draws a safety to him every play and I’ll call that a win.

2 safeties high helps Mixon too
-Housh
(11-30-2021, 07:09 PM)Housh Wrote: Chase catches no passes but draws a safety to him every play and I’ll call that a win.

2 safeties high helps Mixon too

Yep and when they turn around and try to stop Mixon, it's over the top again.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Hope we eventually reach Chiefs or Rams status where opposing defenses continually beg us to run.
Winning is a great deodorant, but I could see all this talk of blocking and drawing a safety away turning into "why can't Chase beat double coverage" if we start losing. Ultimately, I think Chase will be fine and it's just a learning experience (we can't forget that he's only 21).

That said, if he wants to go down with the great Bengals WRs, he's going to need to beat double coverage. Chad did. AJ did. I'm sure Chase will, eventually.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(12-02-2021, 12:44 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Winning is a great deodorant, but I could see all this talk of blocking and drawing a safety away turning into "why can't Chase beat double coverage" if we start losing. Ultimately, I think Chase will be fine and it's just a learning experience (we can't forget that he's only 21).

That said, if he wants to go down with the great Bengals WRs, he's going to need to beat double coverage. Chad did. AJ did. I'm sure Chase will, eventually.

Double coverage means 7 in the box. Should mean Mixon continues to feast.
Sometimes it's not just about beating double coverage, but it's about doing so when someone else isn't open. Even if Chase is fully prepared to make a contested catch in double coverage, Burrow is probably not going to throw the ball in that direction if Higgins is streaking deep in single coverage or Boyd is wide open for a first down. I believe we have a quarterback and a playcaller who, by virtue of their styles and philosophies, will make it a little harder for any one player to continually blow up the stat sheet. That's a good thing for the team, and if our receivers are who we think they are then they'll be happy about it too.
(12-02-2021, 10:25 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Double coverage means 7 in the box. Should mean Mixon continues to feast.

Of course. That's the plan for now, and it's a great plan. I'm just saying that - in the long haul - you should want him to be able to beat double coverage. It will only make the team better.

(12-02-2021, 02:18 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Sometimes it's not just about beating double coverage, but it's about doing so when someone else isn't open. Even if Chase is fully prepared to make a contested catch in double coverage, Burrow is probably not going to throw the ball in that direction if Higgins is streaking deep in single coverage or Boyd is wide open for a first down. I believe we have a quarterback and a playcaller who, by virtue of their styles and philosophies, will make it a little harder for any one player to continually blow up the stat sheet. That's a good thing for the team, and if our receivers are who we think they are then they'll be happy about it too.

I like a lot of your points here, but Chase is our most explosive receiver. Him being open isn't like Tee or Boyd being open. So, I want Chase to get open against double coverage enough to make his explosive ability a factor again.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Waddle has closed the gap a bit in yards, but Chase is still way ahead in TD’s.

Chase - 8
Waddle - 4
Smith - 4
Pitts - 1

I think he’s still got a couple huge games left in him. You can even see in those screen passes against the Steelers his big play ability. He has a great ability to move those thighs and shake defenders going after his legs. He’s not as big as Tee, but he certainly plays like a big receiver.
(12-02-2021, 09:46 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Waddle has closed the gap a bit in yards, but Chase is still way ahead in TD’s.

Chase - 8
Waddle - 4
Smith - 4
Pitts - 1

The big difference I think people are missing is look at his total targets, 82. That is the least amount of anyone in the top 10 in receiving yards and 20 less than Waddle. If he was on a team with less weapons he probably is top 2 in yards right now.
I'm thinking Chase may break Curtis rookie record for TD in his 12th game with 2 against Chargers.
(12-03-2021, 11:31 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I think he’s still got a couple huge games left in him. You can even see in those screen passes against the Steelers his big play ability. He has a great ability to move those thighs and shake defenders going after his legs. He’s not as big as Tee, but he certainly plays like a big receiver.

(12-03-2021, 11:38 AM)Au165 Wrote: The big difference I think people are missing is look at his total targets, 82. That is the least amount of anyone in the top 10 in receiving yards and 20 less than Waddle. If he was on a team with less weapons he probably is top 2 in yards right now.

I think that is completely false.

Take away weapons and the other team literally has an easier time rolling coverage and removing him from the game. 

Literally had people on here saying that more weapons would make it harder to cover everyone, well... if you remove weapons... it becomes easier to cover and then the line has to protect longer and that leads to more sacks or contested throws and INTS/PDs.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

(12-04-2021, 02:11 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I think that is completely false.

Take away weapons and the other team literally has an easier time rolling coverage and removing him from the game. 

Literally had people on here saying that more weapons would make it harder to cover everyone, well... if you remove weapons... it becomes easier to cover and then the line has to protect longer and that leads to more sacks or contested throws and INTS/PDs.

No, not really because you manufacture touches for your best guys. You can’t really “roll coverage” to screens drags and slants…which is what Waddle gets a ton of. It’s a bit of a myth he’s doubled all the time right now, you will see safeties shading making throws tougher but it’s not a true hi/low bracket and frankly those throws could be made if they had to. Against Pittsburgh on Higgins TD Fitzpatrick was single high shaded to him but he was really stopping the post with potential to make the go ball tougher, Burrow could have thrown the go to the pylon if he needed it. Because of the weapons they have chosen to take easier throws, or to run balls, versus forcing it to their best guy.
(11-12-2021, 11:24 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Chase is the truth !

Yet Burrow needs to stop forcing it to Chase so often.

Although I do get the allure to do so. Just think he will be more open with less jumping routes if Joe spreads it around a little more to keep D guessing  

Believe the bye week film sessions will show this and Burrow will correct this minor problem though.

My thoughts exactly.  I hate seeing a ball forced into double coverage to Chase when a TE and or RB is wide open in the flat or another WR is being "covered" by a LB.
(12-02-2021, 02:18 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Sometimes it's not just about beating double coverage, but it's about doing so when someone else isn't open. Even if Chase is fully prepared to make a contested catch in double coverage, Burrow is probably not going to throw the ball in that direction if Higgins is streaking deep in single coverage or Boyd is wide open for a first down. I believe we have a quarterback and a playcaller who, by virtue of their styles and philosophies, will make it a little harder for any one player to continually blow up the stat sheet. That's a good thing for the team, and if our receivers are who we think they are then they'll be happy about it too.

I was gonna say this. There is no need to force feed him when you’ve got Higgins, Boyd, Uzomah, Tate, and a solid run game. A lot of those amazing AJ catches over the years we’re technically bad throws, that he just caught cause he was amazing.
-Housh
(12-04-2021, 03:04 PM)M.W. Wrote: My thoughts exactly.  I hate seeing a ball forced into double coverage to Chase when a TE and or RB is wide open in the flat or another WR is being "covered" by a LB.

I don’t mind the ball going to Chase in double long as the situation calls for it

But this exact situation is my pet peeve about Burrow. It’ll be a 3rd and 8 and he’ll have the RB wide open for an easy gain and he’ll get sacked or throw a bad ball
-Housh
So disappointed in him right now. He takes that deep shot to the house instead of bobbling it into a pick and it’s a totally different game.

First 7 games:
35-754-6 (51 targets)
1831 yard and 14 TD pace
14.78 yards per target
5-2 record

Last 5 games:
20-204-2 (39 targets)
694 yard and 7 TD pace
5.23 yards per target
2-3 record