Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Reggie Freaking Nelson Watch
(03-25-2016, 05:13 PM)Wyche Wrote: Absolutely think that Reggie and George are the best tandem in the NFL.....Williams is the gravy train on biscuit wheels of added bonuses.

Kinkpin, Big Earn McCrackin ????
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Latest article on bengals site talks about finishing negotiations with Lafell and Dansby during the week and moving to the draft. Clearly whatever discussion they had with Nelson didn't go well since no mention of him.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
I think the Bengals are moving on. I wish Reggie the best but its time to see what Williams can do. He will be a free agent at the end of this season. I think we are set with a solid foundation at safety by Locking up Iloka , having Williams ready to go and the guy everybody is overlooking Derron Smith (He was projected as a 3rd rounder before Injury) and they are all 25 or younger and still getting better.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 05:13 PM)Wyche Wrote: Absolutely think that Reggie and George are the best tandem in the NFL.....Williams is the gravy train on biscuit wheels of added bonuses.

Completely agree. Rock On

(03-25-2016, 06:06 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Thomas/Chancellor?

I'd probably agree that Reggie and George are arguably #2 though.

Chancellor can't cover so right there they are not on par with George and Reggie. Earl Thomas is great but that is not a tandem.

The Chiefs are the only tandem i would put with George and Reggie and that is mostly cause Eric Berry is ****** awesome.

George and Reggie can cover and hit and pick you off, dynamic. Best tandem and i hope we can keep them together for a year
or two more and let Shawn play Linebacker and backup. I like Shawn for the future and maybe he may become as good as Reggie
but that is still left to be seen. George and Shawn could be great as well though.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2016, 10:58 AM)JungleRock85 Wrote: Latest article on bengals site talks about finishing negotiations with Lafell and Dansby during the week and moving to the draft. Clearly whatever discussion they had with Nelson didn't go well since no mention of him.

Damn, oh well. I do like Shawn and it makes sense to make him the starter at this time in his career.

I just hate losing Reggie, dude was a great Bengal. Still i am holding out hope that Reggie returns if he doesn't
see any better offers. I am sure Reggie is holding his interception title as reasons for big money but age sours it
for him.
Reply/Quote
Bottom line is if you don't play Williams this year you lose him! He is a free agent to be, if he doesn't think he has a shot to play he'll go somewhere that he is wanted. Then you have Iloka and a 34 year old Nelson and Smith for 2017. Smart move by the Bengals, if they bring Nelson back it will probably be as a backup for insurance. They have to give Williams a shot!
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2016, 06:54 PM)Brodude3 Wrote: Bottom line is if you don't play Williams this year you lose him! He is a free agent to be, if he doesn't think he has a shot to play he'll go somewhere that he is wanted. Then you have Iloka and a 34 year old Nelson and Smith for 2017. Smart move by the Bengals, if they bring Nelson back it will probably be as a backup for insurance. They have to give Williams a shot!

What the heck sort of logic, is that?  Guy was a STs only player, for the most part, for two years.  Finally showed some promise, in a backup role in year 3.  Let me remind you, showing well in a backup role is not nearly the same as being "the man", from the onset of the season.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2016, 06:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What the heck sort of logic, is that?  Guy was a STs only player, for the most part, for two years.  Finally showed some promise, in a backup role in year 3.  Let me remind you, showing well in a backup role is not nearly the same as being "the man", from the onset of the season.

Sorry to disappoint you but who would you rather lose? Reggie was the man I guess but he wasn't the same this year, Int's at safety usually come from QB mistakes and he just happened to be in the right place at the right time last year (He also dropped a couple). At Safety you can go from having 7 one year to 1 the next. Take that out of the equation and what do you get? His body is breaking down, he doesn't have the explosiveness he once did (Thus the bad angles and missed tackles) if you think you can get there but your body says otherwise your in trouble. Unfortunately I think that is where Reggie is at this point. As for Williams, they did not draft him in the 3rd round to see him walk after the first contract, if they thought he was a bust he would be gone by now. The Bengals have a loaded roster, A lot of these so called ST PLAYERS would be starting on other teams. There has to be a changing of the guard sometime. I think this is good move. If Reggie wants to come back on the Bengals terms he is always welcome in my book, but only on our terms.... 
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2016, 07:14 PM)Brodude3 Wrote: Sorry to disappoint you but who would you rather lose? Reggie was the man I guess but he wasn't the same this year, Int's at safety usually come from QB mistakes and he just happened to be in the right place at the right time last year (He also dropped a couple). At Safety you can go from having 7 one year to 1 the next. Take that out of the equation and what do you get? His body is breaking down, he doesn't have the explosiveness he once did (Thus the bad angles and missed tackles) if you think you can get there but your body says otherwise your in trouble. Unfortunately I think that is where Reggie is at this point. As for Williams, they did not draft him in the 3rd round to see him walk after the first contract, if they thought he was a bust he would be gone by now. The Bengals have a loaded roster, A lot of these so called ST PLAYERS would be starting on other teams. There has to be a changing of the guard sometime. I think this is good move. If Reggie wants to come back on the Bengals terms he is always welcome in my book, but only on our terms.... 

Bro, dude, i getcha. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2016, 07:14 PM)Brodude3 Wrote: Sorry to disappoint you but who would you rather lose? Reggie was the man I guess but he wasn't the same this year, Int's at safety usually come from QB mistakes and he just happened to be in the right place at the right time last year (He also dropped a couple). At Safety you can go from having 7 one year to 1 the next. Take that out of the equation and what do you get? His body is breaking down, he doesn't have the explosiveness he once did (Thus the bad angles and missed tackles) if you think you can get there but your body says otherwise your in trouble. Unfortunately I think that is where Reggie is at this point. As for Williams, they did not draft him in the 3rd round to see him walk after the first contract, if they thought he was a bust he would be gone by now. The Bengals have a loaded roster, A lot of these so called ST PLAYERS would be starting on other teams. There has to be a changing of the guard sometime. I think this is good move. If Reggie wants to come back on the Bengals terms he is always welcome in my book, but only on our terms.... 

Good points, but I'm not so sure that he's as far gone, as you would like to lead on.  Perhaps the fact that another team hasn't jumped, and thrown a sizeable amount of money at him, is a sign that he should remain, and retire as a Bengal.  The longer he is out there, the lower the asking price becomes.  You'll never hear me complain, if the Bengals sign him back.  Though Williams did show some good promise this past season, you can't go wrong with having a trusted, experienced warrior in the mix.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2016, 06:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What the heck sort of logic, is that?  Guy was a STs only player, for the most part, for two years.  Finally showed some promise, in a backup role in year 3.  Let me remind you, showing well in a backup role is not nearly the same as being "the man", from the onset of the season.

He actually has quite a bit of logic in what he said here Sunset.

Reggie had tied for the league lead in ints we all know this. But his tackling, especially in angle pursuit was lackluster at
best last season. Reggie wants a big deal cause of those ints, but you and him are forgetting about his age and that will
not happen next season, i for one, guaranfrickintee it.

Shawn is a great tackler, hard hitter and just shown that he can also pick QB's off last year.

It is time.

Nothing against Reggie.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2016, 07:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Good points, but I'm not so sure that he's as far gone, as you would like to lead on.  Perhaps the fact that another team hasn't jumped, and thrown a sizeable amount of money at him, is a sign that he should remain, and retire as a Bengal.  The longer he is out there, the lower the asking price becomes.  You'll never hear me complain, if the Bengals sign him back.  Though Williams did show some good promise this past season, you can't go wrong with having a trusted, experienced warrior in the mix.
Rock On
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2016, 07:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Good points, but I'm not so sure that he's as far gone, as you would like to lead on.  Perhaps the fact that another team hasn't jumped, and thrown a sizeable amount of money at him, is a sign that he should remain, and retire as a Bengal.  The longer he is out there, the lower the asking price becomes.  You'll never hear me complain, if the Bengals sign him back.  Though Williams did show some good promise this past season, you can't go wrong with having a trusted, experienced warrior in the mix.

Bring him back as long as he knows his role, that may be the hold up. I don't know how many games you went to live but sometimes it was tough. I remember watching him in Jacksonville and it just not the same. I would love to see him retire as a Bengal but I think he is going to have to swallow his pride to do it. I think the rest of the league knows it to. Its got to be tough for him.
Reply/Quote

Lmao I laughed at that statement, if thats true why arent more safeties getting more picks? Why arent the bad athletic safeties getting more picks?

Your same logic can be applied to cornerbacks as well, "Ints are cool but they usually come from QB mistakes and they just happen to be in the right place at the right time"

Thats just completely disregarding his football IQ and skills and discrediting him which is laughable
Reply/Quote
The "just happened to be in the right place at the right time" mentality completely overlooks WHY he was in the right place at the right time. Once or twice could be a fluke. But when you are in the right place at the right time more than anyone else in the league, it says volumes about football IQ, knowing the defense and having the ability to be in the right place at the right time. Reggie is far from being done. We need him back, for quality depth if nothing else. If Williams can beat him out for the starting position, fine, but if he goes down it would be nice to know Nelson is there to take it on home.... or vice versa.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 06:06 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Thomas/Chancellor?

I'd probably agree that Reggie and George are arguably #2 though.

You know I'm far from a blind homer, but I'd put our guys up against anyone in the league.....

(03-25-2016, 08:32 PM)bonesaw Wrote: Kinkpin, Big Earn McCrackin ????

You got it! ThumbsUp

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2016, 07:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He actually has quite a bit of logic in what he said here Sunset.

Reggie had tied for the league lead in ints we all know this. But his tackling, especially in angle pursuit was lackluster at
best last season. Reggie wants a big deal cause of those ints, but you and him are forgetting about his age and that will
not happen next season, i for one, guaranfrickintee it.

Shawn is a great tackler, hard hitter and just shown that he can also pick QB's off last year.

It is time.

Nothing against Reggie.

Who the hell are you, Stannis Barratheon?

It is not "time," despite your official decree.

Nothing you said there is based in fact. Reggie's tacking angles were fine and he was one of the best defenders in the NFL last season. And Williams, despite potentially being a very good full time player, is still largely unknown.

You take a guy like Nelson all day long until it is abundantly clear he has nothing left. I'd much rather him fight off the yellow & black walkers than Williams.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 01:50 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Who the hell are you, Stannis Barratheon?

It is not "time," despite your official decree.

Nothing you said there is based in fact. Reggie's tacking angles were fine and he was one of the best defenders in the NFL last season. And Williams, despite potentially being a very good full time player, is still largely unknown.

You take a guy like Nelson all day long until it is abundantly clear he has nothing left. I'd much rather him fight off the yellow & black walkers than Williams.

I have no idea who this Stannis fella is. Mellow

Shawn shown a lot last year when Iloka was injured. Maybe you weren't around?

I got to see him play though and he played well.

You not seeing this shows me all i need to know.

Love Reggie but i am not going to just cry about it if he doesn't want to sign a deal here. We have given him offers
and he has rejected them evidently. You guys that are crying about Reggie leaving need to take into consideration his
age. Reggie does as well. He will not have another 10 pick season next year.

For some reason you think he will continue this forever. This is unrealistic.
Reply/Quote
People seem to forget his last snap ended with knee damage (torn ACL, I think). Happening at his age and in the post-season, he isn't going to be full go (most likely) until after training camp starts. Even then he is not going to be the same guy for some time.

Unless he is willing to take a cheap, incentive laden deal, I don't expect ANYONE is going to be pursuing him before the end of summer.

EDIT: Correction, it was an ankle injury.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 02:15 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: People seem to forget his last snap ended with knee damage (torn ACL, I think).  Happening at his age and in the post-season, he isn't going to be full go (most likely) until after training camp starts.  Even then he is not going to be the same guy for some time.

Unless he is willing to take a cheap, incentive laden deal, I don't expect ANYONE is going to be pursuing him before the end of summer.

EDIT: Correction, it was an ankle injury.

Good point.  I was one of these people...
Reply/Quote