Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Reggie Freaking Nelson Watch
While looking for Nelson's specific injury, I stumbled upon this article.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2588801-reggie-nelson-injury-updates-on-bengals-dbs-ankle-and-return

In it, Coley Harvey stated that if either Nelson or Iloka were to not return, Devon Smith is the guy expected to take the open spot.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2016, 07:14 PM)Brodude3 Wrote: Int's at safety usually come from QB mistakes and he just happened to be in the right place at the right time last year 

Yep, just one lucky year.  If you look at a longer time span you will see that the Safety that has the most ints over the last 2 years is.  .  .  Reggie Nelson (12), and if you go back over the last 3 years it is.  .  .  Reggie (14), and if you go back 4 years it is.  .  .  Reggie (17), and if you go all the way back to 2011 when Reggie played his first full season as a starter for the Bengals it is.  .  .   Reggie (21)
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 02:20 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: While looking for Nelson's specific injury, I stumbled upon this article.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2588801-reggie-nelson-injury-updates-on-bengals-dbs-ankle-and-return

In it, Coley Harvey stated that if either Nelson or Iloka were to not return, Devon Smith is the guy expected to take the open spot.

Derron Smith you mean.

Shawn will be taking Reggie's spot with Derron and a draft pick backing up George and Shawn is how i see it playing out.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 02:15 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: People seem to forget his last snap ended with knee damage (torn ACL, I think).  Happening at his age and in the post-season, he isn't going to be full go (most likely) until after training camp starts.  Even then he is not going to be the same guy for some time.

Unless he is willing to take a cheap, incentive laden deal, I don't expect ANYONE is going to be pursuing him before the end of summer.

EDIT: Correction, it was an ankle injury.

This and his age have to be taken into consideration.

Reggie might still be back but i don't get why he hasn't taken the deals we have offered him.

If he was 100% i would understand but he isn't.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 02:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yep, just one lucky year.  If you look at a longer time span you will see that the Safety that has the most ints over the last 2 years is.  .  .  Reggie Nelson (12), and if you go back over the last 3 years it is.  .  .  Reggie (14), and if you go back 4 years it is.  .  .  Reggie (17), and if you go all the way back to 2011 when Reggie played his first full season as a starter for the Bengals it is.  .  .   Reggie (21)

That's going to leave a mark......
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 03:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This and his age have to be taken into consideration.

Reggie might still be back but i don't get why he hasn't taken the deals we have offered him.

If he was 100% i would understand but he isn't.

From what I've read, Nelson wanted one more year on the deal (3) than the Bengals wanted to give him (2). And he twisted his ankle....geeze, it's not like he had micro fracture.... I'm quite sure his ankle has recovered......
Reply/Quote
he turned down a deal and now he's realizing that was a mistake. The deal on the table now is half what was originally offered.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 03:56 PM)Okeana Wrote: he turned down a deal and now he's realizing that was a mistake.  The deal on the table now is half what was originally offered.

If that's true, I'd be on the horn with the Bengals trying to work out an incentive-laden deal.  Obviously teams are hesitating on him because of his age, not his talent.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 03:50 PM)Sled21 Wrote: From what I've read, Nelson wanted one more year on the deal (3) than the Bengals wanted to give him (2). And he twisted his ankle....geeze, it's not like he had micro fracture.... I'm quite sure his ankle has recovered......

It is much worse than just a twisted ankle Sled.

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 02:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yep, just one lucky year.  If you look at a longer time span you will see that the Safety that has the most ints over the last 2 years is.  .  .  Reggie Nelson (12), and if you go back over the last 3 years it is.  .  .  Reggie (14), and if you go back 4 years it is.  .  .  Reggie (17), and if you go all the way back to 2011 when Reggie played his first full season as a starter for the Bengals it is.  .  .   Reggie (21)

Nobody is arguing that Reggie did not have an outstanding season, the point is that the Bengal's or any GM worth his weight should not let a Int spike dictate overpaying an aging safety. I could argue also that if you want to look at just Int by Reggie ask yourself how he could have 3 seasons with only 2 Int's, 1 season with only 3, and one season were he did not have one (0) playing in 16 games. His best season besides this past year was his rookie year when he had 5. Point is, at Safety the numbers can swing a lot from season to season.

The bigger issue is that he is not the same player he once was and that has to be taken into consideration when offering a contract. I want Reggie back just as bad as the next guy, just on our terms. 

We have locked up Iloka and have Williams and Smith, although Williams is in his contract year. If we can sign Reggie to a Bengal friendly deal that would be Icing on the cake. He would bring a nice Veteran presence. 
Reply/Quote

And how many blown tackles missed assignments and yellow flags did he receive in those time frames?

Reggie had been good for us but hes 34 i think so signing to anything past 2 years becomes risky. if gaurenteed money is involved.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 06:10 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: And how many blown tackles missed assignments and yellow flags did he receive in those time frames?

Reggie had been good for us but hes 34 i think so signing to anything past 2 years becomes risky. if gaurenteed money is involved.

32 and will turn 33 in September, but I agree wouldn't go 3 years unless it is dirt cheap. And no point in worrying about guaranteed money because the bengals aren't likely to cut a vet so most likely the whole contract would basically be guaranteed. 
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 03:50 PM)Sled21 Wrote: From what I've read, Nelson wanted one more year on the deal (3) than the Bengals wanted to give him (2). And he twisted his ankle....geeze, it's not like he had micro fracture.... I'm quite sure his ankle has recovered......

If that is true, it must be the same offer his agent is pitching to other teams, as well.  Evidently, other teams aren't/weren't willing to go 3 years, either.  However, he could turn out like Chris Crocker, and keep reappearing year after year..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 03:56 PM)Okeana Wrote: he turned down a deal and now he's realizing that was a mistake.  The deal on the table now is half what was originally offered.

Total BS.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 04:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is much worse than just a twisted ankle Sled.

Really? Did you see his medical records, or are you just supposing because I haven't seen anything released by the team?
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 10:59 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Really? Did you see his medical records, or are you just supposing because I haven't seen anything released by the team?

He's a made guy. Just nod and move on.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 10:59 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Really? Did you see his medical records, or are you just supposing because I haven't seen anything released by the team?

A twisted ankle would not have people saying that he won't be able to practice until Training Camp.
Reply/Quote
Here is the hobspin on this topic.

"Thanks for the note. I think the Bengals are very mindful of what Reggie has done for them and they hold him in high regard for what he means in the locker room to these guys. But they’re in a tough salary cap balancing act.

They’ve got two young safeties in Iloka and Shawn Williams who have played well and some young players that need to be extended, like cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick[Image: icon-article-link.gif], right guard Kevin Zeitler[Image: icon-article-link.gif], running back Giovani Bernard[Image: icon-article-link.gif], and fullback Ryan Hewitt[Image: icon-article-link.gif]. And you’d have to put Williams in that conversation after he played well in big games with Iloka injured. Really, a tough call because from the top on down everyone loves Reggie around here.

His ankle has nothing to do with it. He looked like he had done well in rehab. No question Reggie is a great leader and you hate to lose those guys. (I wonder if he’d been on the field for that last play against Pittsburgh instead of injured what might have happened.) But it’s not like there’s a dearth of leadership on defense. I think there’s some support to bring him back. But for how much and who plays?"

I don't like "But it’s not like there’s a dearth of leadership on defense" cuz honestly I think there is in the back end. Pacman can only be a leader so much, he is a CB.. after that... Iloka? I don't feel like there is a ton of veteran leadership on the back end of the defense without Reggie.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 01:07 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Here is the hobspin on this topic.

"Thanks for the note. I think the Bengals are very mindful of what Reggie has done for them and they hold him in high regard for what he means in the locker room to these guys. But they’re in a tough salary cap balancing act.

They’ve got two young safeties in Iloka and Shawn Williams who have played well and some young players that need to be extended, like cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick[Image: icon-article-link.gif], right guard Kevin Zeitler[Image: icon-article-link.gif], running back Giovani Bernard[Image: icon-article-link.gif], and fullback Ryan Hewitt[Image: icon-article-link.gif]. And you’d have to put Williams in that conversation after he played well in big games with Iloka injured. Really, a tough call because from the top on down everyone loves Reggie around here.

His ankle has nothing to do with it. He looked like he had done well in rehab. No question Reggie is a great leader and you hate to lose those guys. (I wonder if he’d been on the field for that last play against Pittsburgh instead of injured what might have happened.) But it’s not like there’s a dearth of leadership on defense. I think there’s some support to bring him back. But for how much and who plays?"

I don't like "But it’s not like there’s a dearth of leadership on defense" cuz honestly I think there is in the back end. Pacman can only be a leader so much, he is a CB.. after that... Iloka? I don't feel like there is a ton of veteran leadership on the back end of the defense without Reggie.

Thanks for this, thats the thing, i have heard some say that Reggie won't be ready until TC. Don't know who the
hell they were, but it is what i heard. I agree, Reggie is a fine leader and we have not seen much of that from
George yet. Still hoping we can bring back Reggie some time. It just doesn't look immediate.

The good thing for us is it seems other teams are not courting the guy like crazy.
Reply/Quote
The Steelers are our chief rival and achilles heel, and Reggie kills the Steelers.

The freaking cap is fine. Give Reggie a good deal. Get this done, damnit.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote