Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Reggie Freaking Nelson Watch
Would have loved to get Reggie back but signing with Oakland makes a lot of sense for him and personally I am just glad he didn't end up with the Steelers or Ravens this off-season. The Raiders could use him to fill the spot left by Charles Woodson's retirement. Also the Raiders still have like $20 million in cap I heard so he could actually get a decent money deal for so late in FA.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
This sucks. Gonna lose our best safety because they won't give him a couple more years. Not like NFL contracts are guaranteed
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2016, 01:41 PM)Ricky Spanish Wrote: This sucks.  Gonna lose our best safety because they won't give him a couple more years.  Not like NFL contracts are guaranteed

Wrong.  we lost him because we could not re-sign everyone and we have a decent back up ready to play at WR.

That is the way it works with every good team in the league.  There comes a time when we have to replace aging expensive talent for younger cheaper talent.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2016, 10:20 PM)pally Wrote: Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl  2m2 minutes ago
As @VicTafur said, expectation is that S Reggie Nelson gets a deal done with OAK pending physical. #Raiders very optimistic it gets done.

Well, so long to an all-time Bengal great. I do think Shawn Williams will be good in his role though. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Sad Cheers Good luck Reggie.....appreciate the stellar play, we'll miss you.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2016, 01:06 AM)jeremydc Wrote: One of the best deals the Bengals ever had.

Times 1000.

I don't think Jones even lasted another year in the league, did he?
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2016, 02:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Wrong.  we lost him because we could not re-sign everyone and we have a decent back up ready to play at S.

That is the way it works with every good team in the league.  There comes a time when we have to replace aging expensive talent for younger cheaper talent.

Yeah shawn williams looked good in limited time on the field... And your absolutely right there is no way to retain everyone.
Reply/Quote
Last time the Raiders were going to sign one of our guys he failed the physical. That back cost Gresham a lot of money.
Reply/Quote
Goodbye Reggie it was t our fault though we offered him a deal...gonna feel weird not seeing him out there
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
Thanks for your service, Reggie. You were one of our best defenders of all time.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Was hoping to have Reggie back, sucks for us but we couldn't retain everybody.

Thanks for everything Reggie, one of the best Safeties we have ever had.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2016, 02:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Wrong.  we lost him because we could not re-sign everyone and we have a decent back up ready to play at WR.

I didn't say re sign everyone. Nelson was a key part of our defense and should have been kept. Period
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2016, 08:04 PM)Ricky Spanish Wrote: I didn't say re sign everyone.  Nelson was a key part of our defense and should have been kept.  Period

Look around the league at what other good teams do.  They all reach a point where they have to replace older expensive talent with younger cheaper talent.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2016, 08:04 PM)Ricky Spanish Wrote: I didn't say re sign everyone.  Nelson was a key part of our defense and should have been kept.  Period

I hate to see Reggie go but everybody "HAS BEEN" a great part of somebodies defense. Why do you think they have a draft....players have to be replaced. The Bengals will be fine at Safety, Do you think the Bengals drafted Williams and Smith and whoever they take this year and told them just sit back for Reggie to retire and then you will get your chance? I doubt it. A lot more goes into evaluation than what we see on game days. The coaches are evaluating players on a daily in practice. They saw something that told them we would be OK..... I for one trust the coaching staff.... I hate to see him go but in six years we could be having the same conversation about Shawn or Derron or any other Safety on the roster when we have to let them walk....   It is just the business. 
Reply/Quote
As hard as it is to let Reggie go, I think it was 100% the right decision. Even though he had a great year with 8 picks, I think Reggie was on the decline. He wasn't quite the same force tackling and was showing signs of being off the boil with some pursuit angles and instinct. This of course is being very critical, because he remains a top 15 safety, but I believe he had a better year in 2014/15.

Williams has done enough time on the bench as a rotational guy, and not only does he deserve a shot to start, but the franchise need to see what they have in a former 3rd round pick. Illoka was the key guy to re-sign and they made it happen. Going forward with Illoka, Williams, Derron Smith and in all likelihood a draft pick is ok with me.

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2016, 09:00 PM)Brodude3 Wrote: I hate to see Reggie go but everybody "HAS BEEN" a great part of somebodies defense. Why do you think they have a draft....players have to be replaced. The Bengals will be fine at Safety, Do you think the Bengals drafted Williams and Smith and whoever they take this year and told them just sit back for Reggie to retire and then you will get your chance? I doubt it. A lot more goes into evaluation than what we see on game days. The coaches are evaluating players on a daily in practice. They saw something that told them we would be OK..... I for one trust the coaching staff.... I hate to see him go but in six years we could be having the same conversation about Shawn or Derron or any other Safety on the roster when we have to let them walk....   It is just the business. 

(04-05-2016, 09:10 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: As hard as it is to let Reggie go, I think it was 100% the right decision. Even though he had a great year with 8 picks, I think Reggie was on the decline. He wasn't quite the same force tackling and was showing signs of being off the boil with some pursuit angles and instinct. This of course is being very critical, because he remains a top 15 safety, but I believe he had a better year in 2014/15.

Williams has done enough time on the bench as a rotational guy, and not only does he deserve a shot to start, but the franchise need to see what they have in a former 3rd round pick. Illoka was the key guy to re-sign and they made it happen. Going forward with Illoka, Williams, Derron Smith and in all likelihood a draft pick is ok with me.

Well said.

Love yah Reggie, i am sure you will do well as a Raider. Wish you the best brother. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2016, 09:00 PM)Brodude3 Wrote: I hate to see Reggie go but everybody "HAS BEEN" a great part of somebodies defense. Why do you think they have a draft....players have to be replaced. The Bengals will be fine at Safety, Do you think the Bengals drafted Williams and Smith and whoever they take this year and told them just sit back for Reggie to retire and then you will get your chance? I doubt it. A lot more goes into evaluation than what we see on game days. The coaches are evaluating players on a daily in practice. They saw something that told them we would be OK..... I for one trust the coaching staff.... I hate to see him go but in six years we could be having the same conversation about Shawn or Derron or any other Safety on the roster when we have to let them walk....   It is just the business. 

Well, that's what they told Hue Jackson Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote