Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Rodney Anderson situation
(08-25-2019, 10:41 AM)xEGDx Wrote: Maybe its just me but I didnt think Anderson looked that great at all, maybe Ill pay more attention to him this week but I didnt see the speed and ability to make guys miss at all. I mean I saw a guy miss him on a catch and run but it was awkward and the defender overran the play

4 MTs on 3 catches.

Over-running the play and making your defender miss, is still a missed tackle.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 10:44 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 4 MTs on 3 catches.

Its true, hopefully he can keep it up, I am rooting for him
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 10:44 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 4 MTs on 3 catches.

If guys couldn't see that Anderson showed good potential, balance, vision, moves, ability I don't know what to tell em ? Am I saying he's Barry Sanders ? no

Did I see potential ? absolutely
Reply/Quote
https://www.bengals.com/video/rodney-anderson-swerves-underneath-giants-defender-for-tricky-run

https://www.bengals.com/video/rodney-anderson-ducks-dives-past-defenders-on-catch-and-run

https://www.bengals.com/video/rodney-anderson-gains-12-yards-on-first-touch

Only on this board would fans be negative about these plays...…..
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 04:38 PM)impactplaya Wrote: He reminds me of a Larry Johnson in his prime with
The Chiefs.

He reminds me of Phillip Lindsay
Reply/Quote
gio looked bad in comparison.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
This was Anderson's first game action in almost a year. I know there was talk of him being a late 1st-2nd round pick before the injury. If Mixon does burst out and then decide to search for a new contract after this season, I could see the team rolling with a Williams/Anderson backfield.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 12:56 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think Anderson may be our 2nd best 3 down RB and has made the team.

He looks like an NFL running back, I guess he fell due to injuries. I know that concerns many, but I think of a guy Like Kijana Carter, I don't think he had any injury history at Penn State and then gets hurt. It goes both ways so taking a flyer in Anderson in 6th round may be great pick

To be fair Carter was born just a few years too early..ok, perhaps a few decades early. His injuries in today's world would have likely been of little concern compared to back when he was still playing...the same could be said of Icky as well.  Geno would have been a mere footnote had he played in the 70s and 80s with his ACL injury.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 11:41 AM)Trademark Wrote: He reminds me of Phillip Lindsay

That's what I thought too. The hair obviously makes that comparison easy, but he has the same slippery running style. 
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 12:56 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think Anderson may be our 2nd best 3 down RB and has made the team.

He looks like an NFL running back, I guess he fell due to injuries. I know that concerns many, but I think of a guy Like Kijana Carter, I don't think he had any injury history at Penn State and then gets hurt. It goes both ways so taking a flyer in Anderson in 6th round may be great pick

It's funny when I read what you said about being the 2nd best 3rd down RB on the team, I was thinking he was the 2nd best 1st down RB on the team....then I thought:  He is probably both?  So, instead of relieving Mixon for a series or Gio for a series, he could do an entire series?  Maybe the drive right before the end of the half?  Like, no time for subs, just have him out there the entire drive.  That might be asking a lot from a rookie, and I won't pretend to know his skill in blitz pickup.  

One thing is for sure, though.  Thus far, he is way ahead of Williams.  
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 01:23 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I was a big fan of taking both backs in the 6th round. Looking like we hit on both. And Ellis looks like the type of UDFA that sticks around the NFL awhile.

I thought we were trying to showcase Gio and maybe get his stock up for a trade. I still think the Bucs could use him. I love him and he is tough as nails. But the future is here. He could be a surprise cut but I doubt it. We have to make sure the young guys can stay healthy first.

This is still a very interesting dilemma for me.  I love Gio, too, but if he can be traded for much of anything...a draft pick, a veteran LB that is just average, his salary off the books might allow the Bengals to put together a deal for AJ Green.  I would guess after the injury that they aren't in that much of a hurry, and I would even go so far as to argue the merits of not spending that much on one WR, but I think it would be a class move to offer AJ now, and they might be able to front-load his deal with the money saved from Gio this season.  

Given that we are that far in to the preseason now, I would be surprised if there are any trade dealings, unless a team has a significant injury at that position in week 4, which given how none of the starters play in week 4 would seem like a long shot.  
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 02:15 PM)NKURyan Wrote: This has been in the back of my mind, too. The Mixon negotiations could be interesting.

But, at the same time the Bengals have shown a willingness to pay their own guys, and it's not like they're going to spend that money anywhere else so... maybe it gets done with no issue?

If they are going to give Mixon a mega-deal, they need to utilize him as a receiver as well and he needs to show that he can pick up blitzes.  

I was originally against drafting the guy, but I could not have been more wrong.  Not just his ability, but I love his enthusiasm and his desire to win.  We need more guys like him.  I would, at this point, find a way to be able to sign him next year.  Letting Gio go is probably a part of that equation.  
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 11:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Anderson had the best 8 carries for 7 yards at .9 yards per pop preseason debut in history! I'm sure they are already designing his HOF bust! What makes it more impressive is he had an 8 yard run!

In his FIRST game coming off ACL surgery, going from college to the NFL, he had 4 targets in the passing game, caught all 4 for 51 yards with an amazing long of 18.  If you had seen the 18 yard play, where he made three guys miss (they wouldn't have got him in touch football), I think you would see the potential people are discussing.  

I am not the least bit worried about the run game or lack thereof.  Teams were largely set against the run (think the skins and giants will have to deal with Zeke twice a year...at least they will be facing his team) and they want to tackle and stuff the box.  Lap said the Bengals ran three basic rushing plays the entire preseason.  I don't mean to say that they will come out and average 8 ypc week 1, but they should be much better than we have seen.  
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 11:41 AM)Trademark Wrote: He reminds me of Phillip Lindsay

Knew someone would say it!  The frizzy fro sticking out of his helmet...that was the first thing I thought.  Lindsay hits the hole faster than anyone on our roster, though.  That little guy is fearless. 
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 08:28 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It's funny when I read what you said about being the 2nd best 3rd down RB on the team, I was thinking he was the 2nd best 1st down RB on the team....then I thought:  He is probably both?  So, instead of relieving Mixon for a series or Gio for a series, he could do an entire series?  Maybe the drive right before the end of the half?  Like, no time for subs, just have him out there the entire drive.  That might be asking a lot from a rookie, and I won't pretend to know his skill in blitz pickup.  

One thing is for sure, though.  Thus far, he is way ahead of Williams.  

Just to clarify as it was confusing.

I said he is the 2nd best 3 down back, not 3rd down back in my opinion. 

Gio is a great blocker for a RB so that may give him a slight edge on 3rd down, but I am not sure as I have yet to see Anderson block on 3rd down.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
People arguing about potential?

He flashed some skills just like 31 other teams have guys doing in pre-season.

Anderson could potentially contribute and possibly be a future starter.

Anything is possible, especially with that third RB slot being a toss-up(early on most thought Williams).

He could be an injury away from starting in the season if he wins the spot.

How can we even argue about this?

At least wait until the regular season starts before getting pissy about what the guy can or cannot do. Bang Head

I don't know if many people remember DeDe Dorsey and how great he usually looked in pre-season.

He ended up being just an okay NFL player that contributed.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 12:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Doesn't do much good to "pound" with a RB that averages less than 1 yard per carry.

yeah the runs weren't there... but get him the ball in space... And WOW..

runs could have been an issue with who was in at OL at the time
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 12:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Doesn't do much good to "pound" with a RB that averages less than 1 yard per carry.

You must have stopped watching by that point Fred. He made the first guy miss or broke the first tackle on almost every run. There were just always 2 more guys a second later to bring him down. 
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 12:06 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: His ability to shed blocks and move in space was on full display and he will have more opportunities like this, in his time with us.
I don't want to see him shedding blocks, I want him to follow the blocks and shed the tackles..   Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 11:28 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Every year there is player that 31 teams pass on in the later RDs.
The next thing you know he's making plays
And he's a top 10 at his position.
Anderson showed some traits vs the Giants that the great
RBs possession.
Speed...accerlation..ability to make tacklers
Miss.
How do you get him touches with a Joe Mixon
On the roster?
Pound for pound he might be more talented
Than Mixon by a eyelash.
If ZT is creative as if we think he is....Anderson
Will see the field.
He might be too good to let stand on the
Sidelines.

I was with you till you said pound for pound he might be more talented than Mixon...

I love how Anderson catches the ball and runs though, extremely smooth.
Reply/Quote