Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The big "C" word
No, not that one you perv. I'm talking about "coup." Now, let me be clear in this that I don't see the current situation as a coup by Trump at this point, but this tweet from Ezra Klein got me thinking about it:

"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
the key difference being that in many other nations, the president would just outright cancel the results or call for a new election sometime in the future.

Fortunately there are many things preventing him for having that outright control, but it is disappointing to see many Republican leaders defend this.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I've been quite happy from what I've seen from his party in General.

Oh, and folks think something totally different when the hear/read The Big C.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I wouldn't be surprised if Trump tried something. But maybe I'm optimistic in the fact that I don't think he would be allowed to.

There's been scuttle about Trump declaring Martial Law or trying for last minute legislation. But I think the military (required for Martial Law) and the SCOTUS (the final word on legislation) would rebuff any efforts.

Not Congress though. The Senate has already proven to be spineless under the GOP, capped with Graham saying if they don't do something to change the system to help Trump win, Republicans would never win another presidential election. What a goob.
Reply/Quote
Trump doesn't have enough support from the military to have a successful coup. He thinks he does. But he does not.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
So, personally, I'm of the opinion that if we saw another branch, i.e. SCOTUS or Senate, assist in keeping him in office it would be coup territory. The military doesn't need to be involved for a coup to occur, and I don't think they would in any case. Now, would the CIA be watching what was going on very closely if they saw this going on in another western nation? Abso-frickin-lutely. But we haven't quite jumped the shark, yet.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
I'd have to say consider the source. Ezra Klein cofounded the uber dogshit far left site Vox. He has a vested interest in making this point and whipping up fear in this regard. While I understand the point you are trying to make I'd say the odds of something happening like Klein is describing is less than .05%. If this was happening in Germany or the UK we would not have the same concerns as we would if it was happening in Afghanistan or Bolivia.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 10:44 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'd have to say consider the source.  Ezra Klein cofounded the uber dogshit far left site Vox.  He has a vested interest in making this point and whipping up fear in this regard.  While I understand the point you are trying to make I'd say the odds of something happening like Klein is describing is less than .05%.  If this was happening in Germany or the UK we would not have the same concerns as we would if it was happening in Afghanistan or Bolivia.

So are you saying the actions are only weighed considering the source that reports them?
Reply/Quote
What are the signs that any other Branch would support this "coup"?

I've no seen anyone of importance from the GOP stating we should act outside of established laws.

Yes, Trump will go out kicking and screaming, but go out he will

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 10:57 PM)Benton Wrote: So are you saying the actions are only weighed considering the source that reports them?

No, I'm saying the conclusions derived from those actions is heavily biased in this instance.  He's got a vested interest in keeping people whipped into a frenzy on this issue because the next four years will see their already lackluster performance go further south.  I've stated my opinion that a coup, or anything resembling one, is an utterly remote possibility.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 10:57 PM)Benton Wrote: So are you saying the actions are only weighed considering the source that reports them?

What exactly is he reporting? He’s making shit up. As SSF said, it would really depend on the country. Venezuela or England. Two completely different nations.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Vox tweeted in January that covid was not a pandemic. Then in March, conveniently deleted their own tweet.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 11:18 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Vox tweeted in January that covid was not a pandemic.  Then in March, conveniently deleted their own tweet.

It was not considered a pandemic in January.

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 11:24 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It was not considered a pandemic in January.

It was in China, but I get your point.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 11:27 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It was in China, but I get your point.

Per WHO definitions, it was technically considered an epidemic at that point. Either way, it was not a global crisis until March when they finally declared it a pandemic. 

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 11:24 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It was not considered a pandemic in January.

I guess the obvious question is:

Then why delete the tweet?

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 11:36 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Per WHO definitions, it was technically considered an epidemic at that point. Either way, it was not a global crisis until March when they finally declared it a pandemic. 

I think that would be part of the issue many have with the WHO, as, in retrospect, it was very clear this had spread far beyond China and that China had utterly manipulated their data.  Sorry, not trying to derail the thread, but I'd expect more from people who's job it is to track this sort of thing.  I damn well know people demand more of me in my job.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 11:38 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I think that would be part of the issue many have with the WHO, as, in retrospect, it was very clear this had spread far beyond China and that China had utterly manipulated their data.  Sorry, not trying to derail the thread, but I'd expect more from people who's job it is to track this sort of thing.  I damn well know people demand more of me in my job.

and that is a fair criticism, but would a news organization have been wrong to cite WHO then, not knowing the things we know now?

I think there's some fair criticism to throw at Vox, as you were getting at in your posts, but for me hitting them for not calling something a pandemic when the authorities were saying the same thing isn't solid criticism.

But, yea, I don't want to derail the thread.

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 11:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What are the signs that any other Branch would support this "coup"?

I've no seen anyone of importance from the GOP stating we should act outside of established laws.

Yes, Trump will go out kicking and screaming, but go out he will

Did graham say he would give half a million to trump suing? 
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 09:12 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: No, not that one you perv. I'm talking about "coup." 

I must say that I'm disappointed in you.  When I read "C" word, I honestly thought you meant concession, as in concession speech..  Mellow

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote