Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The coaching staff is terrible
(12-05-2023, 11:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks, sounds unlikely. Kromer or Sherrone Moore might be more likely from what you say.

Sherrone is making 1.2 million at Michigan and with all the distractions and NIL, the portal, and the spying I look for Harbaugh to skip out. Moore will get it. Michigan will probably get Moore closer to 2 million. There are some Michigan guys on here that would certainly know more than me.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 11:19 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Sherrone is making 1.2 million at Michigan and with all the distractions and NIL, the portal, and the spying I look for Harbaugh to skip out. Moore will get it. Michigan will probably get Moore closer to 2 million. There are some Michigan guys on here that would certainly know more than me.

Damn, not helping me lol

Thanks though, you are probably right. Need to find a new OL coach that wants to be here man.
Reply/Quote
Great interview with one of our terrible coaches lol.

https://www.bengals.com/news/joe-burrow-jake-browning--dan-pitcher-
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 10:07 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Kromer is the assistant OL coach of the Rams. Here's his bio.

He would definitely be a good get for the team.  I would think that they would have to elevate him to a coordinator position though, as it seems like it would be a tough sell to convince him to come from LA to Cincinnati for a lateral move.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2023, 01:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He would definitely be a good get for the team.  I would think that they would have to elevate him to a coordinator position though, as it seems like it would be a tough sell to convince him to come from LA to Cincinnati for a lateral move.  

I want him to replace Frank. He's an assistant OL coach so it would be a step up, albeit not a huge one.

Reply/Quote
If you want to talk about a terrible coaching staff, you have to look no further than the Pittsburgh Steelers. Last night was some of the more bizarre coaching decisions that I have seen. They fired their offensive coordinator the end of last month, and then make completely ridiculous decisions on plays at the end of the game. They have players, such as Dionte Johnson not giving any effort to tackle after a fumble, Pickens is publicly complaining ("free me"), and the announcers were pointing out how the WRs don't seem to want to block. The team's undergoing major dissension, the fans want Tomlin fired, and the fans were booing the team lustily last night. What a sh** show.

I think you can thank your lucky stars everyday that we have Taylor and Lou. Even when most teams quit, after the loss of their star QB, the teams is out hustling and seemingly unified.
Reply/Quote
If they somehow make playoffs with this Burrow-less roster I’d submit a motion to the board to ban threads like this for a year. Cause atp he’d have a SB berth, made playoffs every year Burrow was healthy AND made playoffs with a backup

His resume would be one of the best in the league to start a coaching career
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2023, 02:40 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I want him to replace Frank. He's an assistant OL coach so it would be a step up, albeit not a huge one.

Yeah, even with the improvement of the OL it should be better, would welcome another OL coach and like you said it would be 
a step up for Kromer.

(12-08-2023, 02:48 PM)Nepa Wrote: If you want to talk about a terrible coaching staff, you have to look no further than the Pittsburgh Steelers. Last night was some of the more bizarre coaching decisions that I have seen. They fired their offensive coordinator the end of last month, and then make completely ridiculous decisions on plays at the end of the game. They have players, such as Dionte Johnson not giving any effort to tackle after a fumble, Pickens is publicly complaining ("free me"), and the announcers were pointing out how the WRs don't seem to want to block. The team's undergoing major dissension, the fans want Tomlin fired, and the fans were booing the team lustily last night.  What a sh** show.

I think you can thank your lucky stars everyday that we have Taylor and Lou. Even when most teams quit, after the loss of their star QB, the teams is out hustling and seemingly unified.

This makes me happy lol

So true how our team never quits under Zac and Lou, Boyd seems about the only player that makes me shake my head at times
with his drops at big times and the way he acts on the sidelines at times. Good thing this should be his last year here. Cannot 
believe he isn't playing more like a great teammate and giving the most effort possible to up his value before leaving.

But Boyd still makes plays and never shown anything like that lackluster effort Dionte Johnson shown on that fumble play. Didn't
even try to go after the ball, pathetic. If I was a stooler fan I would want rid of him no matter how talented he is.

(12-08-2023, 04:00 PM)Housh Wrote: If they somehow make playoffs with this Burrow-less roster I’d submit a motion to the board to ban threads like this for a year. Cause atp he’d have a SB berth, made playoffs every year Burrow was healthy AND made playoffs with a backup

His resume would be one of the best in the league to start a coaching career

Oh yeah, before this last game people had a point that Zac can only win with Burrow. Now this changes things, winning with Jake
Browning and if we make the Playoffs it will make Zac look like a much better HC and play caller even. The play calling just might
not be the problem. When players execute we look good and are hard to beat.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2023, 06:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, even with the improvement of the OL it should be better, would welcome another OL coach and like you said it would be 
a step up for Kromer.

Yep, I second the motion for Kromer.

This makes me happy lol

So true how our team never quits under Zac and Lou, Boyd seems about the only player that makes me shake my head at times
with his drops at big times and the way he acts on the sidelines at times. Good thing this should be his last year here. Cannot 
believe he isn't playing more like a great teammate and giving the most effort possible to up his value before leaving.

Boyd is also playing on an injured ankle.  His numbers for the year are close to par for his career averages, save for yards/catch.  The reduction in yards/catch can partially be attributed to Joe playing hobbled and hitting very short windows (Boyd's avg yards/target is down accordingly).  It's not like Boyd has "lost it" or anything, he has a 60+ yard catch and run under his belt this season.

Oh yeah, before this last game people had a point that Zac can only win with Burrow. Now this changes things, winning with Jake
Browning and if we make the Playoffs it will make Zac look like a much better HC and play caller even. The play calling just might

Jake Browning was an extremely talented college QB, Heisman finalist even.  He had his shoulder repaired, and those things take time to fully recover from.  The good news is that Jake's brain didn't get injured, and he's used all of his time with the Bengals to his advantage.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
[quote pid='1433061' dateline='1702071253']

Boyd seems about the only player that makes me shake my head at times
with his drops at big times and the way he acts on the sidelines at times. 
But Boyd still makes plays and never shown anything like that lackluster effort Dionte Johnson shown on that fumble play. Didn't
even try to go after the ball, pathetic. If I was a stooler fan I would want rid of him no matter how talented he is.

[/quote]

I'm not sure what's up with Boyd. He used to be a solid, reliable player. I rewatched that play where he threw the interception and I still can't see WTF he was throwing at? His head isn't in Cincinnati anymore. I could be wrong, but it sure appears like it.

Quote:Oh yeah, before this last game people had a point that Zac can only win with Burrow. Now this changes things, winning with Jake

The play calling is, and has been a problem. If anything, with Zac being forced to use the run game more with Burrow out, it may force a philosophy change in him when Burrow comes back. A balanced game will do nothing but help Burrow and help decrease risk of injury just by reducing the amount of hits he takes. Sacks are only half the story. How much does he get put on his ass a game after the throw?

If Zac starts going pass heavy again with Browning, his game is going to tank, and people will be back to complaining he was a one hit wonder and a piss poor backup. Let's keep the naysayers at bay, and play a well rounded game.

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2023, 08:28 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: The play calling is, and has been a problem. If anything, with Zac being forced to use the run game more with Burrow out, it may force a philosophy change in him when Burrow comes back. A balanced game will do nothing but help Burrow and help decrease risk of injury just by reducing the amount of hits he takes. Sacks are only half the story. How much does he get put on his ass a game after the throw?

If Zac starts going pass heavy again with Browning, his game is going to tank, and people will be back to complaining he was a one hit wonder and a piss poor backup. Let's keep the naysayers at bay, and play a well rounded game.

I mentioned this a time or two in other threads, being one dimensional won't win Championships.  With Joe Burrow and the 'all pass' offense in effect, the Bengals were exactly 1-5 versus the AFC.  They're now 2-6 but showing that they're willing to flex the offense to meet the opponent.  At some point, you have to prove that you can move the ball on the ground when you want to. I truly feel like Zac and Co. have got the message.  Heck, we may have seen this game plan change earlier in the season had Joe not got the year off on an injured calf and Brown not been on IR for half the season. 

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2023, 02:48 PM)Nepa Wrote: They fired their offensive coordinator the end of last month, and then make completely ridiculous decisions on plays at the end of the game. They have players, such as Dionte Johnson not giving any effort to tackle after a fumble, Pickens is publicly complaining ("free me"), and the announcers were pointing out how the WRs don't seem to want to block. The team's undergoing major dissension, the fans want Tomlin fired, and the fans were booing the team lustily last night.  What a sh** show.

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=11377184]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
The Steelers may have fired their OC but they still run the same offense. They couldn't have installed a new offense in 1 week but yes some of those calls Thurs were strange. Sure seems like they get some arrogant players at times. I was reading their game day thread Thurs and it seems like lots of their fans are unhappy that holding and roughing AREN'T called in their favor. Hilarious

T. Austin is their D Coordinator, he was here with us in Marvins last year here and it was a disaster, remember?
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2023, 02:48 PM)Nepa Wrote: If you want to talk about a terrible coaching staff, you have to look no further than the Pittsburgh Steelers. Last night was some of the more bizarre coaching decisions that I have seen. They fired their offensive coordinator the end of last month, and then make completely ridiculous decisions on plays at the end of the game. They have players, such as Dionte Johnson not giving any effort to tackle after a fumble, Pickens is publicly complaining ("free me"), and the announcers were pointing out how the WRs don't seem to want to block. The team's undergoing major dissension, the fans want Tomlin fired, and the fans were booing the team lustily last night.  What a sh** show.

Staff might be bad but Tomlin is a hof coach
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2023, 03:49 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Staff might be bad but Tomlin is a hof coach

HOF coaches need a really good QB. Tomlin hasn’t got one. SF is the exception to that rule but…they’ve got #1 LT. #1 ish Edge Rusher, #1 most productive RB, a top LB, a top WR, and #2 or #3 TE.

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2023, 03:49 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Staff might be bad but Tomlin is a hof coach

As a Bengals fan, I hope they do Fire Tomlin because they will really spiral down longer term if they do that.  IMO

Steeler fans are living life without Big Ben and it ain't so good for them.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2023, 04:06 PM)depthchart Wrote: As a Bengals fan, I hope they do Fire Tomlin because they will really spiral down longer term if they do that.  IMO

Steeler fans are living life without Big Ben and it ain't so good for them.

agree they don;t know how good they have it in steeler land, fire tomlin they will find out what a mistake that is
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2023, 03:58 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: HOF coaches need a really good QB. Tomlin hasn’t got one. SF is the exception to that rule but…they’ve got #1 LT. #1 ish Edge Rusher, #1 most productive RB, a top LB, a top WR, and #2 or #3 TE.

any coach needs a good QB most of the time, Tomlin is just so consistent does not matter, Big Ben goes done for a season or 1st year QB comes in, still winning season and possible playoffs, he is damn impressive.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2023, 05:45 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: any coach needs a good QB most of the time, Tomlin is just so consistent does not matter, Big Ben goes done for a season or 1st year QB comes in, still winning season and possible playoffs, he is damn impressive.

He gets my respect but he still needs a QB.

Reply/Quote