Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The coaching staff is terrible
(11-27-2023, 12:28 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Any coaching staff that has taken a team to 2-straight conference title games is not terrible.

Joe Burrow is good, very good, but let's keep it rational. Is he THAT much better than Justin Herbert, Tua, or Sunshine? None of which have sniffed a title game.

To say our staff is terrible and to say our staff is great, both hold the same merit.

I think aspects of it are good, aspects of it are bad. 

Why did we make our run in the playoffs? Was it because of Burrow, good offense, good defense? A little bit of luck? I'd say it was mostly because of the defense and some luck at times. The offense was not great, although they were limited (like usual) with a poor offensive line. 

I think you can get more out of this offense and make life a little bit better on Burrow. I think the current scheme leaves Burrow hanging out to dry at times. I am all for bringing in someone else to innovate and bring some fresh ideas. I look at what the Texans did to us and how the moved the pocket and made life easy on Stroud...we shouldn't be above that just because we have Burrow. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 10:54 AM)Synric Wrote: Taylor and Callahan just needs to do a better job of getting the ball into the hands of the YAC guys on the roster. Damn I forgot Chase is the only YAC guy they have...

They have other guys they just refuse to play them or get them the ball. Yoshi and Chase Brown are athletic fast freaks. But lets continue feeding Mixon and his 2 yards per carry and not see what the guys you drafted have. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 10:54 AM)Synric Wrote: Taylor and Callahan just needs to do a better job of getting the ball into the hands of the YAC guys on the roster. Damn I forgot Chase is the only YAC guy they have...

Our slot needs to be a burner

Iv been n the camp that our WR4 needs to be the burner but im at the point where the guy we have in the slot needs to have that ability too just to get more plays where a safety isn’t hovering over Chase

If we had that guy we could do a bunch formation and motion Chase anywhere we want and still know that we have another guy that requires safety eyeballs
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 12:40 AM)casear2727 Wrote: LOL, this is hilarious.  We dont fire coaches that win zero playoff games, EVER.  Much less ones with the success Taylor has had.

Taylor has absolutely no heat from the organization or the media.   ZERO HEAT.   He does not need Callahan fired.

Burrow is hurt, he is an easy excuse for everyone.

You are out of your mind with this thinking.  Even though you may be correct in much of the context, understanding how the Bengals works is what is.

Very true. Some people on this board just don’t understand the real world, or the Bengals world. This staff took them to a SB and AFC conference.

They also helped draft and FA the team that got there. We can’t have it both ways and say they’re awesome win they win and awful win they lose. And anyone who says, yeah look what they do without burrow or chase…any team would suck without JB and Chase. They’re some of the best at their position in the entire nfl. Take away brady from the patriots and how many SB do they win? So what now BB is an awful coach?

I’m not saying Zac doesn’t deserve some blame. He does. But a lot of these players just aren’t that good.

Our O line is below average. Our RB’s are below average. QB and WR1 superstars, Tee is hurt and the rest of the wr are below average. TE below average.

Defense
D line- average to below average considering we can’t get pressure outside of Hendrickson and we can’t stop the run

LB- average. They don’t take over games so I can’t call them above average

DB- rookies who have potential but I’d say below average

S- below average.

This team is below average, thus 5-6. Isn’t there a stat that you need a team of like 8 pro bowlers to be a SB team? We have 3 (Burrow, Chase, Hendrickson). So how do we get 5 more for 2024??? I have my thoughts, and I’ve gone a complete 180 on Higgins. We need to tag and trade and use that money and assets to get a pro bowl level defensive end. Draft OL pick 1. I’m gonna lose my sh*t if anyone says TE round 1.

I said it the day after we lost the SB. It will be very hard to ever get back and that may have been our 1 shot. That’s not a slight to JB, it’s just the nature of the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 10:57 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I think aspects of it are good, aspects of it are bad. 

Why did we make our run in the playoffs? Was it because of Burrow, good offense, good defense? A little bit of luck? I'd say it was mostly because of the defense and some luck at times. The offense was not great, although they were limited (like usual) with a poor offensive line. 

I think you can get more out of this offense and make life a little bit better on Burrow. I think the current scheme leaves Burrow hanging out to dry at times. I am all for bringing in someone else to innovate and bring some fresh ideas. I look at what the Texans did to us and how the moved the pocket and made life easy on Stroud...we shouldn't be above that just because we have Burrow. 

My biggest issue with the Coaching Staff is there was no experience when it was formed. Zac had never been an HC, Lou had never been a DC,, and Callahan had never been a OC. They learned on the job and it started out rough. 

My complaint here is that we've been successful in spite of our coaching staff. The first 2 years under Zac made up their minds and no amount of winning will change it. Every blue moon someone will post an "eating crow" post/thread, but are VERY quick to take that crow off the plate. 

Can our coaching staff be improved? Yes. Is it terrible? No
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 07:36 PM)WestieInDelhi Wrote: Browning played fine, not great but definitely not bad. This loss was directly a result of coaching and the D.

What?!?!?!? Browning was horrific. He should have had 4 or 5 picks yesterday.Was incredibly fortunate tipped balls were caught by Chase that should be INTs and a freakishly lucky blown coverage on a Mixon screen are why he had any  yards at all.

That was one of the worst QB performances I've personally seen down there in decades.
Reply/Quote
Zac isn't going anywhere. The best course of action they can take is to fire Pollack and bring in a capable OL coach. Then we need to hope they can fix LG and find a new RT this offseason. That will be difficult as it seems now the defense needs attention as well. Crazy how quickly roster holes develop in the NFL.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 12:43 PM)Garrus Wrote: Zac isn't going anywhere. The best course of action they can take is to fire Pollack and bring in a capable OL coach. Then we need to hope they can fix LG and find a new RT this offseason. That will be difficult as it seems now the defense needs attention as well. Crazy how quickly roster holes develop in the NFL.

We need a new OC too. I was praying that BC would leave this last off-season, but nope. I don't even think there were many teams seriously looking at him for a HC position 
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 11:52 AM)bfine32 Wrote: My biggest issue with the Coaching Staff is there was no experience when it was formed. Zac had never been an HC, Lou had never been a DC,, and Callahan had never been a OC. They learned on the job and it started out rough. 

My complaint here is that we've been successful in spite of our coaching staff. The first 2 years under Zac made up their minds and no amount of winning will change it. Every blue moon someone will post an "eating crow" post/thread, but are VERY quick to take that crow off the plate. 

I feel like the offense is Bratkowski level bad right now. Maybe worse. That's pretty terrible imo.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 11:52 AM)bfine32 Wrote: My biggest issue with the Coaching Staff is there was no experience when it was formed. Zac had never been an HC, Lou had never been a DC,, and Callahan had never been a OC. They learned on the job and it started out rough. 

Is the staff elite? No.

The territory we're going to with a high paid QB and WR is going to require rapid development of draft picks. And a great scheme that can win with less talent.

Those are my worries.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 01:34 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: We need a new OC too. I was praying that BC would leave this last off-season, but nope. I don't even think there were many teams seriously looking at him for a HC position 

What good would a new OC do, when he's simply going to be asked to come up with an offense that drops back into shotgun in 11 personnel 80+% of the time?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Great thread here. LMAO
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 07:05 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: Zac and Lou are bulletproof.

Boring Brian and Fat Frank I think will be gonners at end of the season 

I would be happy if Frank was gone. Who they bring in will be the question. I would be extremely happy with Zac Kromer coming to Cincinnati.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 09:32 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I would be happy if Frank was gone. Who they bring in will be the question. I would be extremely happy with Zac Kromer coming to Cincinnati.

I don't know of Kromer, what is his resume' Harley? 

As you know I like Sherrone Moore OL coach of Michigan who took over head coaching duties when Jim Harbaugh was suspended.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 10:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I don't know of Kromer, what is his resume' Harley? 

As you know I like Sherrone Moore OL coach of Michigan who took over head coaching duties when Jim Harbaugh was suspended.

Kromer is the assistant OL coach of the Rams. Here's his bio.

Quote:Zak Kromer enters his eighth NFL season and seventh with the Los Angeles Rams. He will serve as the assistant offensive line coach after spending the last two seasons as an offensive assistant.

During his first five seasons with the Rams from 2017-2021, Kromer primarily worked with an offensive line that anchored one of the most productive offenses in the NFL during that span.

In 2022, Kromer worked closely with the tight ends and helped Tyler Higbee sustain his productivity in McVay's offense. In Week 16 against the Broncos, Higbee eclipsed 3,000 career receiving yards and became the Rams' all-time leader in touchdowns for tight ends (20). Higbee is currently the Rams' all-time leader in receptions (306), receiving yards (3,107) and touchdowns for tight ends. Under the guidance of Kromer, he tallied a career-best 72 catches for 620 yards and three touchdowns during the 2022 season. His 620 receiving yards were the second-most of his career. Additionally, his 404 yards after catch was a career-high, the fourth best amongst tight ends, and the 28th highest YAC total in the NFL last season.

Kromer also continues to develop young Tight End Brycen Hopkins, who set career-highs in catches (7) and receiving yards (109) last season.

In his fourth season in L.A. in 2020, Kromer helped a rushing attack that finished 10th in the league, averaging 126.1 rush yards per game. The team was led by rookie RB Cam Akers, who tallied a team-best 625 yards on the ground. Akers recorded a 61-yard rush against the 49ers in a Week 11 contest, which marked the longest rush of the McVay era.
In 2019, with the help of Kromer's adjustments throughout the season due to injury along the offensive front, the offensive line did not allow a sack in a franchise-best six games, while also allowing the fewest sacks in the league (22).
Kromer spent the 2016 season with the Buffalo Bills as an entrylevel coaching assistant.

Prior to the Bills, he spent four seasons at the University of Oklahoma as a student assistant for the football program.
Kromer earned a bachelor of arts degree in communications.

He is the son of the longtime NFL offensive line coach Aaron Kromer, who has 19 seasons of NFL experience.
Kromer and his wife, Emily, got married in June 2018 and they have a son, Beckham.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 10:07 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Kromer is the assistant OL coach of the Rams. Here's his bio.

Not bad, plus he has ties to Zac. Thanks Harley. Wink

I also like the OL coach of Oklahoma for us if he is interested in being an NFL OL coach. The development of the young OL under
Pollack has not been up to par in my opinion and overall the proven vets have not played as good under him as they did elsewhere.

Need a change here and to add some more players at RT and LG for depth and insurance in case Volson isn't the answer.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 10:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Not bad, plus he has ties to Zac. Thanks Harley. Wink

I also like the OL coach of Oklahoma for us if he is interested in being an NFL OL coach. The development of the young OL under
Pollack has not been up to par in my opinion and overall the proven vets have not played as good under him as they did elsewhere.

Need a change here and to add some more players at RT and LG for depth and insurance in case Volson isn't the answer.

They need the main assistant to be a schemer and the assistant ol’ coach a technician
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 10:39 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They need the main assistant to be a schemer and the assistant ol’ coach a technician

Would be nice, the scheme and technique has been poor under Pollack.

Do you think your OL coach would want to coach OL in the NFL Sooner?
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 10:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Would be nice, the scheme and technique has been poor under Pollack.

Do you think your OL coach would want to coach OL in the NFL Sooner?

He’s getting real tired of NIL & recruiting. But his wife is from NE Okla. He’s got a lot of kids and is pretty settled in. He’s got another first rounder this year as Tyler Guyton is #17 on Kipers board. He’s making 800k and that spends well in Norman. Venables is building a powerhouse but he’s doing it slow and right. Probably not a time to leave.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 11:05 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: He’s getting real tired of NIL & recruiting. But his wife is from NE Okla. He’s got a lot of kids and is pretty settled in. He’s got another first rounder this year as Tyler Guyton is #17 on Kipers board. He’s making 800k and that spends well in Norman. Venables is building a powerhouse but he’s doing it slow and right. Probably not a time to leave.

Thanks, sounds unlikely. Kromer or Sherrone Moore might be more likely from what you say.
Reply/Quote