Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The elephant in the room
While I completely agree with being concerned about the points brought up by OP, an obvious point but one that I didn't see mentioned is the outcome of each of these games where our offense struggled. 3-0 against some very good playoff teams (2 of which were on the road in very hostile environments). So in a sense, can it be somewhat of point of optimism that we've been winning even without playing at our peak? Offense aside, our defense has really stepped up its game this postseason and gotten the stops or turnovers when absolutely needed.
Reply/Quote
Points per play…. offense efficiency in the playoffs
Points per play their last 3 games is the second one not necessarily playoffs.
SF 0.396 0.321
LA 0.431. 0.414
Cincy 0.430 0.377

KC was the outlier
Reply/Quote
I know the “pundits” like to pull up a bracketed snapshot of stats to bolster their conclusions. But, each game tells its own story. Bengals weren’t supposed to win if Burrow got sacked 9 times, but they did. Bengals were not supposed to “outgun” KC….TWICE…..but they did. Bengals were not supposed to lose to the Jets, but they did. Bengals weren’t supposed to win ANY of the playoff games…….but, they did.

The level of competition has gone up during the playoffs. Stats will and have changed as a result. Game situations change…constantly.

Throw all of that out the window. This is the Super Bowl. In reality, none of the stats or small trends really matter for this game. It’s one game…..a BIG game….but still one game.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 04:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Our offense has not been running smoothly in the playoffs.  Here are our regular season ranks followed by how our postseason numbers would have ranked in the regular season.

Yards........13th.....19th
Points....... 7th.....16th
Yds/play.... 7th.....20th

And it is not like we have faced a lot of good defenses

...........yds......pts
LV........14th....26th
TN.......12th.... 6th
KC.......27th.... 8th

Biggest concern is that we have only scored 5 tds in 32 possessions.

I think we are really missing Reif at RT.

Defense has been the main star of the playoffs.. especially in 2nd half.. maybe offense is due for a solid game sunday
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 05:13 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Reading this thread, it seems we don't stand much of a chance.  Is there any other team besides LA that you think we would have stood a chance against in this Superbowl.    TB?   GB?    DAL ?   SF?

Again,   week 18 :  Rams 20  Ravens  19  ( Ravens led 19-14 late) ; Ravens had 165 yards rushing.

Bengals outscored Ravens  82- 38.  

I'm not seeing how this is a lost cause.

I don;t think pointing out our offense has not performed as well in playoffs is a loss cause, it can be a concern but our defense is the positive here.. they have been the main reason we are in the super bowl.. so with the offense we have, i can see them finally getting going in the 4th game of the playoffs now ... Who Dey
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote