Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The final 53 let's take a look
With all but the final preseason game over I'm sure the staff has a good hold on who the final 53 are gonna be.

Let's start with the Oline and see who/how many there will be. I'm gonna guess 8, here's my picks.

C - Price
C/G - Hopkins
G - Jordan
G - Miller
G - Westerman
T - Glenn
T- Hart
T - Smith

That leaves cut or PS

Brad Lundblade 1 C
Justin Evans 1 G
John Jerry 9 G
Alex Redmond 3 G
Keaton Sutherland R G
O'shea Dugas R T

I'd say guys like Dugas, Sutherland, maybe even Evans hit PS. I'd also guess ZT is being an offensive minded HC is gonna keep as many playmakers as possible and rely on scheme and the TE's and WR's even to be a part of the blocking.

What ya think ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I like beans.
Reply/Quote
I've seen absolutely no reason why Westerman should get the nod over Jerry
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 12:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I've seen absolutely no reason why Westerman should get the nod over Jerry

That's the one I'm on the fence about. On the one hand Jerry has the experience. On the other hand why would ZT (and I don't know this for sure) ask Westerman back if he knew he was going to cut him ? And by that point he should have known.

Perhaps they'll keep both ?
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 12:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I've seen absolutely no reason why Westerman should get the nod over Jerry

This.

The whole retired/not retired thing was weird. I can't see the team being entirely too trusting of him in a starting position after that ordeal (regardless of the circumstances). I think Jerry has to have the nod over.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
Keeping only 3 Ts scares me. Glenn is battling concussions. I think you'll see us pick up an additional T once teams have to make their cuts. Hopefully, we can find someone competent.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 12:45 PM)Shady Wrote: Keeping only 3 Ts scares me. Glenn is battling concussions. I think you'll see us pick up an additional T once teams have to make their cuts. Hopefully, we can find someone competent.

Indeed

But if they keep 7WR 4RB 4TE they're going to have to roll the dice somewhere. Perhaps they'll cut D to 24 players and add an O somewhere ?
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 12:15 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: With all but the final preseason game over I'm sure the staff has a good hold on who the final 53 are gonna be.

Let's start with the Oline and see who/how many there will be. I'm gonna guess 8, here's my picks.

C - Price
C/G - Hopkins
G - Jordan
G - Miller
G - Westerman
T - Glenn
T- Hart
T - Smith

That leaves cut or PS

Brad Lundblade 1 C
Justin Evans 1 G
John Jerry 9 G
Alex Redmond 3 G
Keaton Sutherland R G
O'shea Dugas R T

I'd say guys like Dugas, Sutherland, maybe even Evans hit PS. I'd also guess ZT is being an offensive minded HC is gonna keep as many playmakers as possible and rely on scheme and the TE's and WR's even to be a part of the blocking.

What ya think ?

I think we normally keep 10 OL, or minimum of 9

No way we only keep 3 OT's when one has a concussion so we keep Dugas or we grab someone off the waiver wire or trade (unlikely)

I think Jerry may play some Tackle, if so he is a possibility to swing T/G or Miller. One of those 2 has started games at tackle
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 12:52 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think we normally keep 10 OL, or minimum of 9

No way we only keep 3 OT's when one has a concussion so we keep Dugas or we grab someone off the waiver wire or trade (unlikely)

I think Jerry may play some Tackle, if so he is a possibility to swing T/G or Miller. One of those 2 has started games at tackle

It just varies from year yo year. Last season I believe we started out with only 8 on the first 53 roster. And keep in mind we've had a defensive HC for quite sometime. Having an O guy now may change things up ? We'll see
Reply/Quote
Jerry over Westerman. Redmond is on the exempt list for the first 4 so no reason to make a decision on him right away. I don't think our final OL roster spot is on the roster right now. If they can upgrade back up tackle they will.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I would have thought they would keep Jerry over Westerman but why call him back otherwise.
Reply/Quote
We will know next Saturday...

I think we get one new face on the OL.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 12:56 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It just varies from year yo year. Last season I believe we started out with only 8 on the first 53 roster. And keep in mind we've had a defensive HC for quite sometime. Having an O guy now may change things up ? We'll see

I count 11 OL in 2018, I think A. Smith came later in year

Price
Hudson
Fisher
Ced O.
Hart
Glenn
Redmond
Boling
Westerman
Smith
N. Scott

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 01:16 PM)pally Wrote: Jerry over Westerman.  Redmond is on the exempt list for the first 4 so no reason to make a decision on him right away.  I don't think our final OL roster spot is on the roster right now.  If they can upgrade back up tackle they will.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if they pick up a lineman especially a T from the final cuts. 
Reply/Quote
After the first few OL the rest are scrubs so it really does not matter who stays or goes, they should all be replaced

It is really only at DL where some critical decisions need to be made.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 01:16 PM)pally Wrote: Jerry over Westerman.  Redmond is on the exempt list for the first 4 so no reason to make a decision on him right away.  I don't think our final OL roster spot is on the roster right now.  If they can upgrade back up tackle they will.

Good point, we do have Redmond on exempt list 1st 4 games so we can keep someone while he is away

Reply/Quote
Weird we havent seen MJ play tackle in the preseason yet. That leads me to believe they have him as the front runner at LG.

I think they value Jerrys experience quite a bit. They should go with 9.

T Glenn Hart Andre
G MJ Miller Jerry Westerman
C Price Hopkins

Dugas had some bad snaps for sure. But so far he has shown more than Ogbuehi ever did. He may not be a lock to make it to the practice squad. He is also making one of the biggest jumps in competition level considering where he came from. It may be worth while to hang on to him and see what he can develop in to.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 01:36 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Weird we havent seen MJ play tackle in the preseason yet. That leads me to believe they have him as the front runner at LG.

I think they value Jerrys experience quite a bit. They should go with 9.

T Glenn Hart Andre
G MJ Miller Jerry Westerman
C Price Hopkins

Dugas had some bad snaps for sure. But so far he has shown more than Ogbuehi ever did. He may not be a lock to make it to the practice squad. He is also making one of the biggest jumps in competition level considering where he came from. It may be worth while to hang on to him and see what he can develop in to.

They may well keep 9, who knows what ZT will do ?
Reply/Quote
Jerry will be on the 53. They will pick up 1-2 OT during final cuts. Redmond is relatively unknown this year. He was a penalty machine last year. I do not know what to think of Westerman at this point. I think Bengals keep 9 O-line players. They will go heavy on D-Line. Light at backer. Heavy at DB. 4 RB. 4 TE. 7 WR (due to injuries to Green and Ross).

Then there is the QB issue. Dolegala may make the 53.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Found this on Bengals site. Jerry played LT other night with 4th string.

_New head coach Zac Taylor’s pass offense looks to be exactly what the pundits ordered for a unit that time looked to have passed by the last few years. It is proving to be versatile and well put together enough to average the third most passing yards in the NFL preseason heading into the weekend despite interchangeable rotations of wide receivers, tight ends, offensive linemen, and, not to mention, a meager 2.7 yards per rush.
And that’s without their two fastest receivers (A.J. Green and John Ross), no catches from one of their most reliable receivers (tight end Tyler Eifert) and one carry by Joe Mixon, their 1,000-yard rusher.
_What came first, the chicken or the egg? A set offensive line or a run game that gets going behind a set line? The Bengals waited until 16 days before the opener to roll out their latest combo late in the first half and early in the second with center Billy Price joining the fray and getting in his first licks at right guard while John Jerry went from left guard with the third group to left tackle with the fourth group, paired with Michael Jordan, a rookie that returned to left guard after starting the game and playing the first two series with the first group.
Here is Taylor’s take on why the running game has lacked in the preseason:

Reply/Quote