Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There will unbelievable days ahead and I'll remember these days.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-ZNNJj4AWsQkvpY-y1U2...w&usqp=CAU]

How happy I'll look when that day comes. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2020, 05:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You mean like the 2011 roster that was picked to be the worst team in the league?

Good ol Fred.  Can always be counted on for a good cherry pick.  Look at the roster he had from 2004-2010.  Even the 2011 roster isn't as bad as what you think.  The talking heads in the league thought that without Palmer they would be sunk.  Instead, that roster was the start of 5 straight playoff appearances.  They had some really good offensive lines and defensive squads then.  Far better than today.  
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2020, 10:16 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Good ol Fred.  Can always be counted on for a good cherry pick.  Look at the roster he had from 2004-2010.  Even the 2011 roster isn't as bad as what you think.  The talking heads in the league thought that without Palmer they would be sunk.  Instead, that roster was the start of 5 straight playoff appearances.  They had some really good offensive lines and defensive squads then.  Far better than today.  

I think the better roster part is the point. Bengals management didnt somehow get good at drafting when Marvin was here and be inept other years. Marvin had a hand in it. Also, coaches develop players...so maybe some of the guys we drafted would have been busts under other coaches yet developed under this staff?

That said, the 0-7 in the playoffs is inescapable. I blame some of it on management not going all in on the roster, but Marvin and the coaches need to own it too.

Legit Taylor got an unprecedented amount of resources spent on the roster this offseason and couldnt improve. Marvin deserves credit. This is the Siberia of the nfl.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2020, 10:44 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think the better roster part is the point. Bengals management didnt somehow get good at drafting when Marvin was here and be inept other years. Marvin had a hand in it. Also, coaches develop players...so maybe some of the guys we drafted would have been busts under other coaches yet developed under this staff?

That said, the 0-7 in the playoffs is inescapable. I blame some of it on management not going all in on the roster, but Marvin and the coaches need to own it too.

Legit Taylor got an unprecedented amount of resources spent on the roster this offseason and couldnt improve. Marvin deserves credit. This is the Siberia of the nfl.

Fair point, but he sure didn't show much of that his last three years here.  

And FWIW, the draft class that ZT was "involved with" this year has been excellent.  I really hope we see Markus Bailey get more snaps down the stretch (Logan Wilson is injured anyways) and although Adeniji had some struggles last week (coaching?), I think they got a steal in the 6th round and every draft pick (except Bailey) has taken a lot of snaps and shown pretty well.  
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2020, 10:16 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Good ol Fred.  Can always be counted on for a good cherry pick.  Look at the roster he had from 2004-2010.  Even the 2011 roster isn't as bad as what you think.  The talking heads in the league thought that without Palmer they would be sunk.  Instead, that roster was the start of 5 straight playoff appearances.  They had some really good offensive lines and defensive squads then.  Far better than today.  

One other point I want to make on the oline is I read people say every year: Fix the line in the offseason. Then the Bengals make moves, and it's still bad. Sometimes worse.

Well, these coaches like Hart, MJ and some of the guys that fans dont.

Also, the Bengals make moves...it just doesnt improve it.

A guy like Sewell is a great developmental prospect, mainly because of his physical attributes...but he's 20. Didnt play college this year. Is really raw. He's not going to come in and be some Top 5 Tackle. And that's IF these coaches want to draft him. They could decide they're happy with Hart who's what 23 or 24?

I mention this to show how coaching influences personnel.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2020, 10:56 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: One other point I want to make on the oline is I read people say every year: Fix the line in the offseason. Then the Bengals make moves, and it's still bad. Sometimes worse.

A guy like Sewell is a great developmental prospect, mainly because of his physical attributes...but he's 20. Didnt play college this year. Is really raw. He's not going to come in and be some Top 5 Tackle. And that's IF these coaches want to draft him. They could decide they're happy with Hart who's what 23 or 24?

I just love that Hart is so young. We can watch him suck it up here for a loooooong time. Sad
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2020, 10:56 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: One other point I want to make on the oline is I read people say every year: Fix the line in the offseason. Then the Bengals make moves, and it's still bad. Sometimes worse.

Calling Sewell developmental is a bit of a stretch, but I see what you are trying to say.  The guy is amazingly quick and strong as an ox.  Has given up 1 sack in his career.  Those tools you simply can't teach.  Hart is 26 now, I believe, but after 5 years in the league, the question has to become:  Don't we know what he is by now?  They made him serviceable.  Great.  Now we need above average to dominant.  I also am a big believer that even if you put Munoz and Joe Staley (assuming one went to RT) out there, with such a weak guard group, it wouldn't matter.  See my latest mock (4.0).

I could see them saying they like Adeniji and rolling with him at RT, but I want a better coach/instructor working with him.  I don't have the numbers to back this up, but he seems to have declined each game he has played.  That isn't a good sign. 

This problem all started when they lost Boling to blood clots and they forced MJ out there too early.  If they aren't going to pony up the money for Thuney, they better invest in better players inside or it will only be a matter of time until Burrow gets hurt again.  While I am at it, they also need a WR that isn't a clone of what they have but a guy that commands a cushion and gets open quickly.  That will help Burrow have the option of getting the ball off quickly.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2020, 11:58 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Calling Sewell developmental is a bit of a stretch, but I see what you are trying to say.  The guy is amazingly quick and strong as an ox.  Has given up 1 sack in his career.  Those tools you simply can't teach.  Hart is 26 now, I believe, but after 5 years in the league, the question has to become:  Don't we know what he is by now?  They made him serviceable.  Great.  Now we need above average to dominant.  I also am a big believer that even if you put Munoz and Joe Staley (assuming one went to RT) out there, with such a weak guard group, it wouldn't matter.  See my latest mock (4.0).

I could see them saying they like Adeniji and rolling with him at RT, but I want a better coach/instructor working with him.  I don't have the numbers to back this up, but he seems to have declined each game he has played.  That isn't a good sign. 

This problem all started when they lost Boling to blood clots and they forced MJ out there too early.  If they aren't going to pony up the money for Thuney, they better invest in better players inside or it will only be a matter of time until Burrow gets hurt again.  While I am at it, they also need a WR that isn't a clone of what they have but a guy that commands a cushion and gets open quickly.  That will help Burrow have the option of getting the ball off quickly.

Sewell is an amazing prospect, but 20. He seems like a mauler. How will he fare in our largely passive scheme? A bunch of unknowns. I do hope they draft him. I wonder if Jax might?

Boling seemed to be declining in the seasons before he retired.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 09:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This was from Monday!

"I'm not going to be any different in front of [the media] than I am in front of the players and coaches. We believe in what we're doing. I think that's the most important thing," Taylor said on Monday. "That may be hard for people to believe given our track record of wins and losses, but there will unbelievable days ahead and I'll remember these days. I think a lot of people will forget them when we're playing for championships and playing for division titles and you're seeing great things on the field from our guys. I know we just have to weather the storm and get through it and look forward to the great days ahead."

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/.amp/news/zac-taylor-odds-of-being-next-head-coach-fired-increase?__twitter_impression=true

This reminds me of the situation where Mike Holmgren(when he was in the Browns FO) said "“Don’t come to me for extra tickets for a playoff game or something”: Notes on Mike Holmgren’s 12/15/11 Press Conference

Obviously there was no rush to the box office for Browns playoff tickets and there will not be unbelievable days ahead for the Bengals either.  At least not while ZT is HC
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2020, 11:37 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The only 8-0 start Zac is going to get is scoring two field goals and a safety before the other team piles on the points.

Yeah, like this D would be able to force a safety
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2020, 11:30 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: The score might have looked like an ass whooping but it was far from that.
Turnovers played a big part of that game.
In fact the Bengals actually looked like the better team in controlling the ball most of the game.

Last time I looked turnovers was part of the game and something that defenses strive to get and offenses dread to cough up.

Let's face it, the Cowboys took the ball away and the Bengals didn't.

I don't see how the Bengals LOOKED like the better team. Three TD difference is a pretty f'n big difference.

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2020, 09:53 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Last time I looked turnovers was part of the game and something that defenses strive to get and offenses dread to cough up.

Let's face it, the Cowboys took the ball away and the Bengals didn't.

I don't see how the Bengals LOOKED like the better team. Three TD difference is a pretty f'n big difference.

You got to look at the Bengals and see them not making mistakes, and then making a bunch of big plays. Like when Allen got sacked, if you make that an 80 yard td. Man! We beat the Cowboys!
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 12:24 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You got to look at the Bengals and see them not making mistakes, and then making a bunch of big plays. Like when Allen got sacked, if you make that an 80 yard td. Man! We beat the Cowboys!

There's a line between imagination and fantasy.

Reply/Quote
Something I find funny:

We draft Burrow, Higgins, Wilson, Adeniji who people like - People give Zac credit.

Yet, last year when we signed all the players like Webb, Wynn, etc. almost all played for teams the coaching staff was with previously...it was the front office making blunders! (When it's kind of obvious, the coaches probably at minimum gave input into the signings.)
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 09:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This was from Monday!

"I'm not going to be any different in front of [the media] than I am in front of the players and coaches. We believe in what we're doing. I think that's the most important thing," Taylor said on Monday. "That may be hard for people to believe given our track record of wins and losses, but there will unbelievable days ahead and I'll remember these days. I think a lot of people will forget them when we're playing for championships and playing for division titles and you're seeing great things on the field from our guys. I know we just have to weather the storm and get through it and look forward to the great days ahead."

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/.amp/news/zac-taylor-odds-of-being-next-head-coach-fired-increase?__twitter_impression=true

the best unbelieveable day will be him being fired this friday.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 12:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Something I find funny:

We draft Burrow, Higgins, Wilson, Adeniji who people like - People give Zac credit.

Yet, last year when we signed all the players like Webb, Wynn, etc. almost all played for teams the coaching staff was with previously...it was the front office making blunders! (When it's kind of obvious, the coaches probably at minimum gave input into the signings.)

finding talent and being able to use it arent the same....
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2020, 10:23 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: finding talent and being able to use it arent the same....

Yes - You can see it how teams attack us...especially last year. The good offensive coordinators installed misdirection specifically for us. The not so good ones played us straight up and beat us by less.
Reply/Quote