Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This Guy Just Raised The Cost Of An HIV Drug By 5000%
(09-22-2015, 10:22 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Easy fix.  

Don't be careless.

(09-22-2015, 11:43 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: so I don't care about anyone else because I don't immediately jump on this guy for jacking up the price?    If he has something unique then he should be able to charge what he likes.   Maybe you would Be happier if the government bought the rights to it and then they could decide who gets the drug and who doesn't.  

At least this guy will sell it to anyone.  

Is it cold.  Yes.    But it's his right

That's not at all what you did. You made an ignorant comment and when called on it, responded that it's the guy's right to charge what he wants.

It is. It's also an incredibly douchey thing for him to do, especially considering the cost of treatment many of those with toxoplasmosis are already having to shoulder. And it's also an ignorant comment from you because it has nothing to do with being careless. Unless you're saying people with cancer and similar diseases where treatment weakens the immune system are bringing is on themselves.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-22-2015, 02:16 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Isn't there a generic form of this drug?

Just wondering because I thought drugs had a 20 year period where no one could make a generic form and after that time, any drug company could.

From what I understand, Shkreli is manipulating the REMS so the FDA won't allow for a generic form. Even then, some insurance forms won't accept a generic.
(09-22-2015, 10:54 AM)GMDino Wrote: Well for Lucy its all about "personal responsibility" so he saw "AIDS" and didn't need to read anymore since he knows that you can only get AIDS from making personal choices.  And if the drug they can use to help you suddenly goes up %5000 in a week...well you shouldn't have gotten sick anytime since 1953.

Smirk

If you think a drug will help someone you care about then you will pay whatever the price.
(09-22-2015, 02:54 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: If you think a drug will help someone you care about then you will pay whatever the price.

Hmm, they ought to put THAT on the pricetag rather than a dollar amount!
(09-22-2015, 02:53 PM)Benton Wrote: That's not at all what you did. You made an ignorant comment and when called on it, responded that it's the guy's right to charge what he wants.

It is. It's also an incredibly douchey thing for him to do, especially considering the cost of treatment many of those with toxoplasmosis are already having to shoulder. And it's also an ignorant comment from you because it has nothing to do with being careless. Unless you're saying people with cancer and similar diseases where treatment weakens the immune system are bringing is on themselves.

Not saying he isn't a dbag.

Cancer is gonna get you at some point. It's up to you if you want to take a bunch of meds. What's your quality of life while taking a bunch of meds?

Yeah I didn't read the whole thing because it's a dino post. This one does have more substance than his usual.
I read that Bernie is "demanding" answers about this and other drugs. one of the other drugs costs $1000 for 30 pills, but foreign companies make it for $20 for 100 pills.

Those companies don't bring it to the US because of regulatory costs... hmmm...
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(09-22-2015, 03:10 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I read that Bernie is "demanding" answers about this and other drugs. one of the other drugs costs $1000 for 30 pills, but foreign companies make it for $20 for 100 pills.

They don't bring it to the US because of regulatory costs... hmmm...

I do think they need to allow us to buy foreign meds.

No need for approval. Use at your own risk.
(09-22-2015, 03:01 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Not saying he isn't a dbag.    

Cancer is gonna get you at some point.   It's up to you if you want to take a bunch of meds.   What's your quality of life while taking a bunch of meds?  

Yeah I didn't read the whole thing because it's a dino post.   This one does have more substance than his usual.

Rolleyes
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-22-2015, 01:52 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: Would going to brothels--or more specifically, bringing your children to brothels--count as careless?

http://bengalsboard.net/Thread-Transexual-threatens-to-send-a-fellow-show-guest-home-in-an-ambulance?pid=31156#pid31156

Participation in the illegal sex trade industry to teach you adolescent son "love" is just good parenting because otherwise he might choose to be a homosexual.

(That's more sarcasm, bfine.  I actually meant it is the opposite of what I literally wrote.  I bet you can't show me where I wrote it is poor parenting . . . because that is how sarcasm works.)
(09-22-2015, 02:49 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: like i said is he citizen of the year....   No. 

Where did you write that?

Again, rhetorical.  You don't need to answer because I already know you didn't write that anywhere.
(09-22-2015, 02:16 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Isn't there a generic form of this drug?

Just wondering because I thought drugs had a 20 year period where no one could make a generic form and after that time, any drug company could.

Several years ago (definitely within the past 10 years), if I gave you a prescription for generic doxycycline you could fill it for free at a Publix pharmacy.  Currently, due to a shortage that same prescription for generic doxycycline would cost you well over $200. 
(09-22-2015, 02:54 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: If you think a drug will help someone you care about then you will pay whatever the price.

That's the greed SOB's plan!  I bet you piss and moan about a ten cent increase at the gas pump and blame it on Obama.

And yet some people claim the pharmaceutical companies are withholding the cure for cancer. Rolleyes

There is no possible way you believe all the ignorant crap you post.  No.  Possible.  Way.  Which begs the question: Why do you pretend to be such an ignorant douchebag with a fake marriage and multiple alternate accounts on more than one website?
(09-22-2015, 03:01 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Not saying he isn't a dbag.    

No you didn't.  You have consistently defended is dbagginess.

Quote:Cancer is gonna get you at some point. 

Cancer isn't even the #1 killer in America.

Quote:It's up to you if you want to take a bunch of meds.   What's your quality of life while taking a bunch of meds?  

I'm going to wager your quality of life is better than being dead.

Quote:Yeah I didn't read the whole thing because it's a dino post.   This one does have more substance than his usual.

That's quite the compliment coming from you.
(09-22-2015, 03:14 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I do think they need to allow us to buy foreign meds.      

No need for approval.   Use at your own risk.

Why do "they" need to allow us to use foreign meds?  All meds are "use at your own risk."

If you don't like the regs just move somewhere with different regs.  That's your answer to everything.
[Image: rfbv1.jpg]
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(09-22-2015, 02:54 PM)Benton Wrote: From what I understand, Shkreli is manipulating the REMS so the FDA won't allow for a generic form. Even then, some insurance forms won't accept a generic.

I don't know what REMS means, but I think I get the idea.

Can a different drug company now develop their own drug that does the same thing though?

The drug has been out long enough, I don't understand why a different drug company can't develop their own drug. It takes a while to get a drug approved, I know and a company might not want to waste resources and money developing something that won't make a decent profit.

I'm wondering if this company raised the price of this drug to lure competitors to waste time, resources and money developing their own drug then when this other company is about to release the drug, the first company drops the price below what the second company has to price theirs at.

I don't know, that scenerio seems kind of a waste, but I'm a cynic and I don't trust anyone with anything at any time, lol.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
(09-22-2015, 03:10 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I read that Bernie is "demanding" answers about this and other drugs. one of the other drugs costs $1000 for 30 pills, but foreign companies make it for $20 for 100 pills.

Those companies don't bring it to the US because of regulatory costs... hmmm...

My wife had cancer. She bought drugs from Sweden or somewhere over there because it was cheaper than buying it here with insurance. About 1/10th after insurance if I remember right.
(09-22-2015, 04:33 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I don't know what REMS means, but I think I get the idea.

Can a different drug company now develop their own drug that does the same thing though?

The drug has been out long enough, I don't understand why a different drug company can't develop their own drug. It takes a while to get a drug approved, I know and a company might not want to waste resources and money developing something that won't make a decent profit.

I'm wondering if this company raised the price of this drug to lure competitors to waste time, resources and money developing their own drug then when this other company is about to release the drug, the first company drops the price below what the second company has to price theirs at.

I don't know, that scenerio seems kind of a waste, but I'm a cynic and I don't trust anyone with anything at any time, lol.

Risk Evaluation Mitigation Strategy. It's an FDA hoop for drugs that can be very beneficial but have significant side effects. Like growing hair on your eyes. Or dying.

And like any good company with a squad of attorneys, drug companies have found ways to keep generics from gaining access through the Hatch-Waxman Act by using REMS.

http://healthaffairs.org/blog/2015/03/24/ensuring-timely-approval-of-generic-drugs/

Quote:Unfortunately, there has been a growing trend in the pharmaceutical market of brand-name manufacturers actively seeking to prevent generic manufacturers from getting their hands on these samples and information. For example, some brand-name manufacturers have taken advantage of risk evaluation and mitigation strategies (REMS), a relatively new post-approval requirement that the FDA can impose on drugs with known or potential toxic side effects. REMS components can range from medication guides and communication plans, which aim to educate patients and providers, respectively, to more complex “elements to assure safe use.”

Many drugs subject to this more complex REMS component cannot be purchased in the standard way; rather, they must be distributed by specially-certified prescribers and pharmacists, may have limits on the amount of drug dispensed, and can include mandatory enrollment and monitoring of patients within registries. Brand-name manufacturers have argued that they cannot provide generic manufacturers with samples of such REMS-covered products necessary to conduct the FDA-required bioequivalency testing because doing so would be outside the restricted distribution pathway.
Other brand-name manufacturers have even patented their REMS as new and useful methods of conducting business, artificially extending the market exclusivity period of their products. Celgene, for example, patented its REMS for thalidomide (Thalomid), an old drug now used to treat multiple myeloma (a form of cancer) but that also causes birth defects. The patent for the active ingredient of thalidomide expired decades earlier.

Matrix Global Advisors estimates that anti-competitive uses of REMS result in a staggering $5.4 billion in lost savings annually from the delayed market entry of generic drugs.
(09-22-2015, 04:51 PM)Benton Wrote: My wife had cancer. She bought drugs from Sweden or somewhere over there because it was cheaper than buying it here with insurance. About 1/10th after insurance if I remember right.

That sucks on every level.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-22-2015, 05:18 PM)GMDino Wrote: That sucks on every level.

She was lucky. She works in the healthcare industry so she found out she could get the drugs legally from another country. At least I think it was legally. And she could afford them. And instead of having to do chemo and other treatments, she only needed one drug that had minimal side effects.