Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
This Offense
(09-30-2022, 01:07 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I think Mixon is average at what he's good at, and below average at other things we ask him to do. When will we look elsewhere? Is he really doing the best we can find behind this line?

My argument for "if there were holes" is that can't most average RBs run through holes?

1st and goal on the 1 is a FGA is not a recipe for success lol.

If Perine gets 20 plus snaps he gets 80 plus yards. And Mixon showed more try hard this week then last week and he is still below avg.

We need to try different backs it is making it so hard on the rest of the team it is really not fair to just ignore the issue.
Reply/Quote
I will say- this was easily the cleanest he has been in the pocket probably since the 1st Steelers last year. Burrow got rid of the ball a little too quick on some throws where no one was near him, and I think it negated some possible big plays. Hope they can keep it up, and work on the running game this week.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 01:06 AM)bfine32 Wrote: IDK, he kinda sux on those outside tosses

I agree but that is still his strength not running between the tackles. I said last week our o-line is built more for straight forward runs and between the tackles that is Perine's game not Joe Mixon. If our O-line is best suited to run inside, and our outside running back is struggling then you need to get Perine snaps and run it between the tackles for the most part.
Reply/Quote
Think about this..Our own run defense has been even better..Defensive linemen have become giants..Meanwhile running backs have become a dime a dozen and seldom drafted in the first round anymore..  Still, Joe put up over 1000 last year.. Still 13 games till playoffs time..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 12:55 AM)michaelsean Wrote: All I wanted was a win so I could watch football from 9:30 am until 11:30 and be completely relaxed on Sunday

Me too
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 01:31 AM)WhoDey Wrote: Me too

I can't fathom what it's like to watch football at 9:30 AM? It's engrained to be 1-4PM, 4PM-7PM, 8PM-11PM
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 01:00 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What a great play that one was.

That was so predictable......... Ninja
Reply/Quote
The pass blocking tonight was good and even Burrow applauded it, saying the protection was the best he's had in his pro career. The run blocking was not as bad as you might think as Mixon was just awful - not just tripping and failing to break tackles but consistently failing to see and hit the hole. If he's actually hurt then sit him down, bring Patrick up and make Perine #1.

TBH a lot of the offensive issues are schematic. Hurst is way underused, they rarely use slants or anything else to attack the middle of the field in the intermediate band and seem to use only the RB as as an outlet. They also have built a power running line (especially on the right side) but keep trying to run outside stretch.
Reply/Quote
It's really hard to watch at times. Joe was a bit quick to go to the check down tonight, which was frustrating to watch, and Mixon just can't get going, but the shots down the field are back and, with a few exceptions (the underthrow to Chase which, you know, underthrows happen), have looked great. If they can just change those 2 and 3 yard check downs to 5 or 6 yard check downs and if they can learn how to get a consistent 4 ypc from the running game (which is, sadly, a low bar we are not crossing right now), we'll be Super Bowl caliber again, because our defense is already in Super Bowl form.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 01:06 AM)bfine32 Wrote: IDK, he kinda sux on those outside tosses

He kind of sucks on those swing passes, too.  4 catches for 13 yards is not the kind of production you're looking for.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals won tonight despite Zac Taylor.Also,the toss wide to the right is killing us.Please scrap it from the playbook.I can’t stand to watch it anymore.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 01:47 AM)sandwedge Wrote: That was so predictable......... Ninja

Well, we lose because of the coach, but win in spite of him. It's Andy Dalton all over again. LOL

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
It seems to me the defenses that the Cincinnati Bengals have faced so far are using schemes that are forcing burrow to adjust and he's struggling a bit. Opposing teams seem intent to take Chase out of the game. I think those four interceptions the first game has rattled Burrow's confidence. He hasn't shown his trademark touch on passes. He has also checked it down quite a bit this last game.

I normally support Taylor but his play calling has been subpar. I think the team is starting a season slow and maybe things will gel later as the o line becomes more familiar. The way I'm looking at it is as bad as the offense has been and as bad as Joe has been they're still in the games they lost so hopefully it's fixable but it is concerning.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I hate to see Mixon struggling out there like that. Yes there were multiple times where the Oline or scheme did him no favors, but he's also not his normal self right now. I will say he was grinding it out on the field today and he has my respect for that. RB is not an easy job.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 12:51 AM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: They have a RB problem

I have always thought Mixon was overrated. That dude is killing the offense. Play calling isn’t helping any.
Reply/Quote
I will say this, teams are either stacking the box or eying the backfield a bit more even with Mixon struggling. So the THREAT of him busting off a huge run is still paying dividends freeing up others to make plays. Just wish he could get it going here soon!
Reply/Quote
Burrow was off after 1st drive for a while outside of td to higgins but missed some potential tds also, great job though on zero turnovers 2 games in a row. not much running game Zac made some tough calls but also great calls.
Reply/Quote
They said in a home page article a couple of weeks ago that Mixon is nursing an ankle injury. I see him limping a lot after plays are over. Sit him out and let him heal, I am sick of watching him run into the back of the line and then falling down. He is not overrated, but he is not 100%. Let Perine and Evans do some work.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 12:56 AM)Wyche Wrote: Damn, we nitpicking playcalls after that Hurst TD, the Tyler Boyd pass, and hitting a couple nice deep balls? Wasn't Miami number three in the league in run win rate? That front is stout. It was a methodical performance that eventually wore them down. I mean, they hit Mitchell Wilcox ffs. I saw a bad playcall on the 4th down, but otherwise, I thought they did well, and Joe was patient until he didn't need to be. Mixon missed a couple of holes that would have been decent gainers, but they still struggle running. That said, again, Miami is very good against the run. Joe was sacked once.

Yeah, the Bengals scored more than Buffalo did against Miami (19) and Buffalo was stuffed four times from the two yard line (with three stops from the one yard line). Loved the creative Boyd pass. Just couldn't run. But otherwise, a lot to be pleased with.
Reply/Quote
I mentioned this last night in the game thread - I’ve been a Mixon honk since day one. I’ve always thought he was under-appreciated, and worse yet, the Bengals haven’t always put him in a great situation to succeed.

Specifically, they want him to be a prototypical 3rd down back, and that’s never been him. He’s not quick enough to win on outside sweeps or catch balls in the flats.

Can now see those tires have some wear. He’s not hitting holes, he cannot break away from any tackles and he goes down if someone farts in his general direction.

Cincy needs a 3rd down guy to compliment him. A Gio type.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote