Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
This Offense
(09-30-2022, 09:00 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I mentioned this last night in the game thread - I’ve been a Mixon honk since day one. I’ve always thought he was under-appreciated, and worse yet, the Bengals haven’t always put him in a great situation to succeed.

Specifically, they want him to be a prototypical 3rd down back, and that’s never been him. He’s not quick enough to win on outside sweeps or catch balls in the flats.

Can now see those tires have some wear. He’s not hitting holes, he cannot break away from any tackles and he goes down if someone farts in his general direction.

Cincy needs a 3rd down guy to compliment him. A Gio type.

Wouldn't that guy be Evans? Maybe Evans is not a good enough blocker? I knew letting Gio go was a mistake.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 03:19 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Burrow was off after 1st drive for a while outside of td to higgins but missed some potential  tds also, great job though on zero turnovers 2 games in a row. not much running  game  Zac made some tough calls but also great calls.

Pretty much sums it up. He even mentioned the 4ints in the post game interview. He's not going to be the cause of a loss again.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 12:47 AM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: is still struggling. Joe wasn't sharp at all for 3 qtrs. They continue to try Mixon running and short pass dumps that lose yards, they don't throw deep enough anymore and don't use Tight Ends across the middle enough. The plays in the center of field worked when they did run them. Zac again chose to try 4th and whatever instead of the FG for 3 early in game. Turns out it didn't cost them but looked like it could have at the time.

This analytical system of play calling is fine if you have the play caller (Zac) and players to pull them off but how many times are they gonna try Mixon on 4th and come up short? His play calling just isn't sharp.

Still turd soup... against a pretty good defense, yes, but a tired defense.  The play SELECTION on that fourth down play was the absolute dumbest selection they could have possible chosen.

I know hindsight is 20/20, but say this with me (referring to the fourth down play):  Joe Mixon is not fast.  JOE MIXON IS NOT FAST.  He is big and tough.  So play TO HIS STRENGTH.  Or, here is an ever better idea:  put the ball in the hands of your best player, Joe Burrow.  That run wide NEVER gets around because everyone looks like they are moving in slow motion.   Teams like SF run that play at a dead sprint, including the linemen.  DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB.  

Running the ball 3X on first and goal from the 5 yard line might have actually been more stupid, but I can't be sure.  Maybe we should have a poll and let people vote?  

I am willing to cut them some slack on execution on a short week, but the selection was just stupid. 

On the upside, I saw a few plays to TEs that I loved and a couple new wrinkles.  But when they needed to convert the most, it was like they wanted to keep the dolphins close.  
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 12:51 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: I got an analytic stat for Zac he sucks at calling plays on 4th and 1 kick the field goal.

Or maybe actually run a play that has some modicum of success.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 09:10 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Still turd soup... against a pretty good defense, yes, but a tired defense.  The play SELECTION on that fourth down play was the absolute dumbest selection they could have possible chosen.

I know hindsight is 20/20, but say this with me (referring to the fourth down play):  Joe Mixon is not fast.  JOE MIXON IS NOT FAST.  He is big and tough.  So play TO HIS STRENGTH.  Or, here is an ever better idea:  put the ball in the hands of your best player, Joe Burrow.  That run wide NEVER gets around because everyone looks like they are moving in slow motion.   Teams like SF run that play at a dead sprint, including the linemen.  DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB.  

Running the ball 3X on first and goal from the 5 yard line might have actually been more stupid, but I can't be sure.  Maybe we should have a poll and let people vote?  

I am willing to cut them some slack on execution on a short week, but the selection was just stupid. 

On the upside, I saw a few plays to TEs that I loved and a couple new wrinkles.  But when they needed to convert the most, it was like they wanted to keep the dolphins close.  

His 40 time is 4.43 He was fast, he just isn't right now.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 12:51 AM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: They have a RB problem

They have a play selection problem.  Running in to a pile on 2nd and long has the other team teeing off right from the snap.  The dumbazz fourth down run might have worked...if Mixon was going to throw the ball.  

If they want to run a play like that, give the ball to the RB that has the speed to get outside:  Chris Evans.  
Reply/Quote
Haven’t been impressed with Taylor as a play caller. On the positive side I think he’s a guy who’s not stubborn and open to new ideas. Receiving the opening kick vs. Jets and scoring on back to back opening drives was refreshing. The Boyd pass was a good creative play. This isn’t a cover 2 problem either because Miami was being aggressive jamming receivers and mostly had backups at CB which is the most concerning part. Like others have said we need to use the middle of the field more and find more creative ways to get the ball in guys like Chase hands. Pre snap we look stale not a ton of misdirection and we rarely ever move the pocket.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 12:51 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I'm seeing a lot of progress the past two weeks. Oddly enough, running the ball (even with the tiny amount of success) allowed Burrow to stay pretty clean and we connected on some deep shots. I think they can still improve and Mixon is getting surrounded quickly. The run game will definitely need to improve. But I see slow improvement from the oline. I do think they can get more creative with the route designs to get people open. I thought the Hurst TD was a great call to get him wide open. We need more plays like that.

Agreed.  There was progress in play design.  Play selection at points in the game still leaves a lot to be desired and needs cleaned up by the Ravens game.  
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 12:55 AM)michaelsean Wrote: All I wanted was a win so I could watch football from 9:30 am until 11:30 and be completely relaxed on Sunday

This.  It is a pretty cool feeling, right?  I used to LOVE when this happened and then I could ridicule Piggy during his game, or just root hard against the Ravens.  Going to be fun!

If Atlanta is smart, they will challenge the Browns up close and force Brisett to beat them deep.  I know it is a long shot, but stranger things have happened....ask last week's Chiefs. 

The Jets might have a shot against pitt as they match up well against them, but I have no idea what to expect with Wilson if he plays.  

Game of the week will be a beat up Buffalo team against the Ravens.  Should be high scoring.  
Reply/Quote
The Dolphins are very good on run defense. Buffalo threw it 63 times on them. The OL is improving
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 09:19 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This.  It is a pretty cool feeling, right?  I used to LOVE when this happened and then I could ridicule Piggy during his game, or just root hard against the Ravens.  Going to be fun!

If Atlanta is smart, they will challenge the Browns up close and force Brisett to beat them deep.  I know it is a long shot, but stranger things have happened....ask last week's Chiefs. 

The Jets might have a shot against pitt as they match up well against them, but I have no idea what to expect with Wilson if he plays.  

Game of the week will be a beat up Buffalo team against the Ravens.  Should be high scoring.  

Buffalo couldn't score on the team that we hung 27 on last night. Ninja

That said, Baltimore's defense is struggling. Their offense is clicking though.

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 12:59 AM)Wyche Wrote: What I woulda called and said so during the game. Then Miami does the exact same thing and fail to convert on 4th and inches. Sneak the damn ball! But it's one call in a game we won.....

How many times have you seen Tom friggin Brady walk up to the line get set and snap the ball on first sound and get the first down on a sneak catching the D off guard. 

Joe is a much better athlete than Brady. Why don't we ever do it ? I don't get it. 
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 09:20 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The Dolphins are very good on run defense. Buffalo threw it 63 times on them. The OL is improving

Exactly. I saw a stat before the game on the show Keyshawn is a part of that said Miami was #3 on run play win rate in the league. I think they're about 14th overall against the run. Lamar gashed em for 119, so the overall stats are a little bit skewed. Our defense is in the top of the league. They're playing lights out so far.

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 09:30 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: How many times have you seen Tom friggin Brady walk up to the line get set and snap the ball on first sound and get the first down on a sneak catching the D off guard. 

Joe is a much better athlete than Brady. Why don't we ever do it ? I don't get it. 

OCs across the league are out thinking themselves. It's not unique to us. Remember, the Dolphins had a similar scenario with Bridgewater and elected to give it to the RB as well. They failed too. I don't get it either. The downfall of young play callers seems to be concentrating too much on new school/analytics, etc. When it's that short, just sneak the damn ball!

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 09:37 AM)Wyche Wrote: OCs across the league are out thinking themselves. It's not unique to us. Remember, the Dolphins had a similar scenario with Bridgewater and elected to give it to the RB as well. They failed too. I don't get it either. The downfall of young play callers seems to be concentrating too much on new school/analytics, etc. When it's that short, just sneak the damn ball!

I agree, but a lot of bad things can happen when you run a QB sneak. Even if you get it, you have defenders ripping at the ball and the chances of a QB having a finger broken or something along those lines is not something to be ignored.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 09:41 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I agree, but a lot of bad things can happen when you run a QB sneak. Even if you get it, you have defenders ripping at the ball and the chances of a QB having a finger broken or something along those lines is not something to be ignored.

That's a fair point that was in the back of my mind as I typed that. I'm sure these guys are considering that very scenario in those situations.

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 09:14 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Agreed.  There was progress in play design.  Play selection at points in the game still leaves a lot to be desired and needs cleaned up by the Ravens game.  

Yes sir

I hate to ***** after a win, however. I'm with the guy Piston's quoted the article from a week or so ago. Our running game and passing game is just disjointed.

It's like there's two different teams out there. Team A runs the ball and Team B throws the ball. They never see each other and have no idea what the other team does. There's just no flow, there's no connection from one to the other. It's like somebody on the Bengals sideline holds up a banner "Run Play" and the D just eats it up.

I don't know whether it's all a formation thing? Down and distance tendencies? Somebody is tipping plays? Mixon leaning? Joe's snap count? The blocking scheme?

But our run game is broken and changes are required for this team to have any sustained success. ZT and co need to take a deep dive into scheme and playcalling and get this figured out.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 09:03 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Wouldn't that guy be Evans? Maybe Evans is not a good enough blocker? I knew letting Gio go was a mistake.

I’m sure he’s “supposed” to be, but I haven’t seen anything encouraging from him.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 01:57 AM)Joelist Wrote: The pass blocking tonight was good and even Burrow applauded it, saying the protection was the best he's had in his pro career. The run blocking was not as bad as you might think as Mixon was just awful - not just tripping and failing to break tackles but consistently failing to see and hit the hole. If he's actually hurt then sit him down, bring Patrick up and make Perine #1.

TBH a lot of the offensive issues are schematic. Hurst is way underused, they rarely use slants or anything else to attack the middle of the field in the intermediate band and seem to use only the RB as as an outlet. They also have built a power running line (especially on the right side) but keep trying to run outside stretch.

Agree with every word.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 12:51 AM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: They have a RB problem

Mixon is a top 5 back in the league. The O Line sucks so far. they need to start drafting O Lineman in the early rounds. Team will only go as far as the O Line brings them.
Reply/Quote