Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
This Offense
(09-30-2022, 10:05 AM)Wyche Wrote: I saw that play too, I thought he was gonna break one. He also cut back on a play where Collins had opened a huge hole. Maybe down around the goal line? I don't remember where we were on the field when it happened. He looks off.

There was one right on the goal line, yes.  He cut inside when the hole opened to his right on the outside.  Would've most likely gotten the TD if he cut the other way.  Mixon didn't look 100% last night for sure, but he wasn't getting much help from his line, either.  If he's getting hit in the backfield on every run, there's a problem that extends beyond the RB. 

As to the offense in general, they're frustrating to watch.  They looked most of that game (after the first drive) like they lost their swagger.  The timid plays get old to watch, especially with so many weapons.  You can say that all the runs kept the pocket cleaner because MIA wasn't going for the pass as much, but the opposite is true as well, that throwing it around more can open up some run opportunities.  Once the fins had backups playing CB, the Bengals seemed to get their confidence back in the passing game, but it took a long time to develop in the game.  I just can't believe you've got to run Mixon right up the middle for no gain as many times as they did last night to finally open up those pass plays. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 10:25 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: No one produces every time.

Evans flashed a few times last year. I liked the pick when we made it.

It’s probably fair to say we haven’t seen enough of him, but he’s not even in the rotation currently.

I’d love to think Zac is playing the guys who deserve it, but I also fully believe Taylor is one of many coaches who opts for veteran spiritual creaminess over young talent.

When he has been given a chance he has produced. In his very limited attempts he averaged 4.5 ypc. The team averaged 4. 

He had 15 receptions on 17 attempts (88%) for 10ypr. 

No idea why he has been given almost no chance to do anything this year. Through 4 games he has 0 rush attempts. 
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 10:26 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Yeah. It's a hard pill to swallow for any Bengals fans because he is a fan favorite. Hell, I like him as well. However, he is not a top five guy and I don't think he ever has been. To your point, if he ever was, he is not anymore. 

Agreed, but to be fair, I was never the biggest fan of Mixon to begin with when they drafted him. And though he has produced at times, mainly last season being his best, he's still not one of my favorite Bengals. 

Still though, I won't waiver that the Bengals made a mistake by not trying to upgrade the backup situation, with a hopeful new back that could replace Mixon next season if they release him (which they should if they cant come to the most team friendly new deal possible). Teams need to have two viable running backs anymore, especially with a 17 game schedule now. Just having one is not a good plan.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 12:10 PM)TheFan Wrote: When he has been given a chance he has produced. In his very limited attempts he averaged 4.5 ypc. The team averaged 4. 

He had 15 receptions on 17 attempts (88%) for 10ypr. 

No idea why he has been given almost no chance to do anything this year. Through 4 games he has 0 rush attempts. 

I'd like Evans to have a shot, but I think that his presence on the field just screams pass to a defense.  His skill set is in the passing game, but his ability to run between the tackles is questionable at best right now.  He needs a chance to prove that he can be effective as a runner at this level, but it seems like the staff is reluctant to have him learning on the job in meaningful games.

All of this should enhance the reputation of Gio in his time here.  Great pass catcher, great blocker, and not great, but good enough between the tackles to be useful.  We really don't have a guy like that right now.  
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 12:15 PM)samhain Wrote: I'd like Evans to have a shot, but I think that his presence on the field just screams pass to a defense.  His skill set is in the passing game, but his ability to run between the tackles is questionable at best right now.  He needs a chance to prove that he can be effective as a runner at this level, but it seems like the staff is reluctant to have him learning on the job in meaningful games.

All of this should enhance the reputation of Gio in his time here.  Great pass catcher, great blocker, and not great, but good enough between the tackles to be useful.  We really don't have a guy like that right now.  

It's pretty gross what Zac Taylor has done (or not done) with the run game so far. Maybe this will change coming out of the mini bye but his refusal to try anything new with the run game is a bad indictment. 

I'm not saying Semaje is the answer but Mixon certainly has not been and giving him 24 rushes yesterday to Perines 1 just makes no sense, especially given what we saw last week. I've been a big Mixon supporter but he has just not been getting it done. 

In the 2.5 years Perine has been with us he has been the better runner all 3 years. Obviously with more touches his average may go down but it's possible with less touches Mixons numbers may go up. Not trying anything different to help the team is just stupid because clearly what we've been doing is not working. 

Perine:
2020 - 63 attempts for 301 yards (4.8ypc)
2021 - 55 attempts for 246 yards (4.5ypc)
2022 - 11 attempts for 53 yards   (4.8ypc)

Mixon:
2020 - 119 attempts for 428 yards   (3.6ypc)
2021 - 292 attempts for 1205 yards (4.1ypc)
2022 - 82 attempts for 224 yards.     (2.7ypc)
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 12:47 AM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: is still struggling. Joe wasn't sharp at all for 3 qtrs. They continue to try Mixon running and short pass dumps that lose yards, they don't throw deep enough anymore and don't use Tight Ends across the middle enough. The plays in the center of field worked when they did run them. Zac again chose to try 4th and whatever instead of the FG for 3 early in game. Turns out it didn't cost them but looked like it could have at the time.

This analytical system of play calling is fine if you have the play caller (Zac) and players to pull them off but how many times are they gonna try Mixon on 4th and come up short? His play calling just isn't sharp.

Lots to work on during this mini bye no doubt. Kind of came at the perfect time.

Our Defense continues to carry this team and we are now at .500 so I think we are still in a great place.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 01:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Lots to work on during this mini bye no doubt. Kind of came at the perfect time.

Our Defense continues to carry this team and we are now at .500 so I think we are still in a great place.

Me too, and just think, two weeks ago our season was over cause we were never making the playoffs at 0-2.......  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 12:47 AM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: is still struggling. Joe wasn't sharp at all for 3 qtrs. They continue to try Mixon running and short pass dumps that lose yards, they don't throw deep enough anymore and don't use Tight Ends across the middle enough. The plays in the center of field worked when they did run them. Zac again chose to try 4th and whatever instead of the FG for 3 early in game. Turns out it didn't cost them but looked like it could have at the time.

This analytical system of play calling is fine if you have the play caller (Zac) and players to pull them off but how many times are they gonna try Mixon on 4th and come up short? His play calling just isn't sharp.

I don't know what the deal is. This team is just not fun to watch at all. I'm still all in, but that game was a snooze fest last night. 

I know yall get tired of me saying it, and I also don't care, so here it goes anyway: Zac Taylor is Ed Orgeron. Got super lucky at the right moment and got an extension. I think a crew led by Joe can make it through 1 year of bad coaching and bad OL play. He did it in 2019, he did it again last year. Long term? Not gonna work.
Reply/Quote
In our crazy stats thread we show Mixon is averaging 0.5 yards after contact per attempt, easily worst in the league amongst RBs with enough attempts to count. He has broken 2 tackles out of 82 attempts.

I believe he's averaging 2 yards per carry before contact attempt, Chubb is at 2.9 yards before contact and 2.6 yards after.

Our offense would be a lot more fun to watch with a semi-capable RB. I would go so far to say we win a superbowl with Chubb as our RB, this year.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 04:35 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: I don't know what the deal is. This team is just not fun to watch at all. I'm still all in, but that game was a snooze fest last night. 

I know yall get tired of me saying it, and I also don't care, so here it goes anyway: Zac Taylor is Ed Orgeron. Got super lucky at the right moment and got an extension. I think a crew led by Joe can make it through 1 year of bad coaching and bad OL play. He did it in 2019, he did it again last year. Long term? Not gonna work.

Thursday night games tend to be boring.

I'm not a huge Zac guy myself, but he earned himself 20 years in the eyes of the organization last year. He's our guy for better or worse.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 04:35 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: I don't know what the deal is. This team is just not fun to watch at all. I'm still all in, but that game was a snooze fest last night. 

Well we will check back if the Bengals have another strong season. It’s been documented that 0-2 teams rarely make the playoffs. Now if they do is your mantra going to be it was luck or Joe? I mean crediting Joe for what the Bengals accomplished last year is awful short sighted.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 09:29 AM)Wyche Wrote: Buffalo couldn't score on the team that we hung 27 on last night. Ninja

That said, Baltimore's defense is struggling. Their offense is clicking though.

VERRRRRRY different defense traveling on a very short week.  They were pretty good.   The Bengals just wore them down with 13 unanswered in the 4th quarter.  They held Cincy to 14 points until then.  
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 07:22 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Well we will check back if the Bengals have another strong season. It’s been documented that 0-2 teams rarely make the playoffs. Now if they do is your mantra going to be it was luck or Joe? I mean crediting Joe for what the Bengals accomplished last year is awful short sighted.

Yeah... The Bengals were super competitive before Joe and Ja'Marr came along.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 08:06 PM)jason Wrote: Yeah... The Bengals were super competitive before Joe and Ja'Marr came along.

And how are The Patriots w/o Brady? How good was KC before Mahomes? How good were the Bills before Josh Allen? How did the Rams do the year before Matt Stafford? Has Tyreek Hill helped the Dolphins? Your statement rings hollow. How good are the Steelers w/o a good QB? Even Bill Belicheck needs a QB.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
With the on paper firepower this offense has they should be putting up at least 24 per game and should be #1 across the board.

Reply/Quote
Good news is we are winning comfortably even without playing great. Once it all comes together, and it will, then we could be putting 40 points on teams. Even the 2 losses this year were very close even though we played so bad.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 07:22 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Well we will check back if the Bengals have another strong season. It’s been documented that 0-2 teams rarely make the playoffs. Now if they do is your mantra going to be it was luck or Joe? I mean crediting Joe for what the Bengals accomplished last year is awful short sighted.

If the Bengals have a good season this year, no, I wouldn't just credit Joe for it. But, I'm pretty sure this season won't end in the playoffs, best case scenario a first round exit. You have to realize, this offense was, on paper, improved since last year. Bengals were a super bowl team last year. And all the weapons are still there and the OL was supposedly upgraded. They no longer even look like a playoff team... that's on coaching. Is it all ZT's fault? No. But he's the guy in charge, and he's just not a good coach. Why anyone debates that clear truth is beyond me. 
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 04:57 PM)jason Wrote: Thursday night games tend to be boring.

I'm not a huge Zac guy myself, but he earned himself 20 years in the eyes of the organization last year. He's our guy for better or worse.

Not if he doesn't have competitive teams. He's earned this year to do whatever he wants. Maybe even next year. If he has a losing season this year and 2023, which very well could end up happening, then in 2024 he'll be coaching for his job. This is the ultimate "what have you done for me lately" job.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2022, 07:32 AM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: If the Bengals have a good season this year, no, I wouldn't just credit Joe for it. But, I'm pretty sure this season won't end in the playoffs, best case scenario a first round exit. You have to realize, this offense was, on paper, improved since last year. Bengals were a super bowl team last year. And all the weapons are still there and the OL was supposedly upgraded. They no longer even look like a playoff team... that's on coaching. Is it all ZT's fault? No. But he's the guy in charge, and he's just not a good coach. Why anyone debates that clear truth is beyond me. 

FIFY: But he's the guy in charge, and he's just a good coach. Why anyone debates that clear truth is beyond me. You can’t take away the fact he helped lead Cincy to their first playoff win since 1990. It ended the longest drought of any team of ANY of the 4 major American sports. He actually won 3 in which they were all on the road and underdogs. Again it’s huge odds against them making the playoffs. One of the things you’ll see is that Taylor can elevate a team to get better and better. When that happens I’m gonna find you lol.

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2022, 01:53 AM)gman657 Wrote: Good news is we are winning comfortably even without playing great. Once it all comes together, and it will, then we could be putting 40 points on teams. Even the 2 losses this year were very close even though we played so bad.

I think Joe was rusty partly because of his appendectomy. The OL needed more preseason work and Collins never practices.Volson is improving. But this offense can’t get to the one you are describing until it can run the ball.

Reply/Quote